• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Public lecture on "The Christianisation of Australian Public Schools and the Dissolution of the Common Good" sounds decent. Hope for mad bastards during question time.

Rezbit

Yeah it is, but long term SP clearly wont be an issue like it is today.

and i went and played D2 again recently... will be glad with the changes this always online brings.

Yeah, nah. Still think they could have had an offline mode totally independent of the online stuff. Handle all the online crap server side. People will still find a way to manipulate the system.

Clipper

So I got my first traffic infringement ever. Apparently, parking in front of a fire hydrant is illegal in Canada. We don't have them at home, which makes me wonder how it is we put out fires in Australia.

I actually know that rule! But in relation to the US rules on above-ground hydrants.

And we do have them in Australia, they are just mostly below ground and accessed vertically, so it doesn't usually matter if you park near them, although it is up to the state involved, I think. I've also seen No Standing zones set up around them sometimes to provide better access. I remember that they are usually marked with HP signs in Queensland, too.

The Australian Road Rules, as discussed in the South Australian Consolidated Regulations also have this to say:
Australian Road Rules said:
(1) A driver must not stop within 1 metre of a fire hydrant, fire hydrant indicator, or fire plug indicator, unless:
(a) the driver is driving a public bus, and the driver stops at a bus stop or in a bus zone and does not leave the bus unattended; or
(b) the driver is driving a taxi, and the driver stops in a taxi zone and does not leave the taxi unattended; or
(c) the driver is driving a public minibus, and the driver stops in a minibus zone and does not leave the minibus unattended.

I love spam emails:
Subject: RESPOND IMMEDIATELY

Greetings,

I am David Thorburn Chief Operating Officer, Santander Bank. I am getting in
touch with you regarding the estate of a deceased client with similar last
name and an investment placed under our banks management 10 years ago. I
believe would be of interest to you In the year 2002, the subject matter;
came to our bank to engage in business discussions with our private banking
division. He informed us that he had a financial portfolio of fifty million
united states dollars ($50,000,000,00)
.I want you to stand as the bona-fide
next of kin to the deceased.

My proposal; you share the same surname With our late client; We share the
proceeds 50% for me, 50% for you Should you be interested i shall provide you
with more details of this transaction.

I await your response.
E-mail :thorburn.david42uk@yahoo.com.hk

Regards,
David Thorburn.

--- This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

Shaneus

So, I have no idea what happened with Diablo 3. Online issues? I missed GAF and any subsequent discussion.

I am, however, excited about Torchlight 2.

Yagharek

New issue of Games TM in the mail.

Editorial complains about EA offering unlockables for sale as DLC.
Letter to the editor complains about the ME3 backlash.
Editor calls gamers entitled.

I guess that answers the question of who Games TM writes for: publishers. Either that or they lack all sense of irony.

edit: oh cool, new trailer for The Last of Us. Ellen Page's lawyers obviously paid a visit to naughty dog. I wonder if this game will have any gameplay in it.

So, I have no idea what happened with Diablo 3. Online issues? I missed GAF and any subsequent discussion.

I am, however, excited about Torchlight 2.
Basically, the game has persistent internet connection DRM in order to play. Servers are full, so people are having to waiting in queue in order to solo-play the game.

Also, solo play lag, FTW.

Shaneus

I've just been reading the 7-pager on people not being able to get online. The amount of spin in that thread is absolutely fucking atrocious. Those guys can enjoy their AAA-game, online-only future while I'll kick back with my Torchlight 2 (that only cost 25% of what D3 did) and laugh in their faces.

By some strange coincidence the internet at my place was down yesterday for about an hour from 4pm. Still had access to my entire Steam and GOG library... but if I'd just bought D3, I would've been stuck.

Seriously. Corporate defenders. "It's an online game, you stupid fuckhead!". Sure. Just like the other Diablo games.

From what I understand though, Blizzard are fairly pro-consumer (or have at least given the impression they are) so with any luck they'll be the first massive company to withdraw/patch out the online thing. Ubisoft DRM wasn't as big as this, so hopefully it'll be made an example of in this case.

Also, I have a new Tron mouse. Was advertised on Catch of the Day Monday night. Bought then, shipped yesterday, arrived today. Fucking astonished.

Yagharek

I've just been reading the 7-pager on people not being able to get online. The amount of spin in that thread is absolutely fucking atrocious. Those guys can enjoy their AAA-game, online-only future while I'll kick back with my Torchlight 2 (that only cost 25% of what D3 did) and laugh in their faces.

By some strange coincidence the internet at my place was down yesterday for about an hour from 4pm. Still had access to my entire Steam and GOG library... but if I'd just bought D3, I would've been stuck.

Seriously. Corporate defenders. "It's an online game, you stupid fuckhead!". Sure. Just like the other Diablo games.

Online passes (EA), fundamentally broken hardware (360, PS3), hacked networks (XBLA, PSN), stolen credit cards and accounts (XBLA, PSN), online DRM (Ubisoft, EA, Sony etc etc), paid for console features removed via firmware updates (Other OS), single player content locked behind online codes (Arkham Asylum), microtransactions (Microsoft, Bethesda), content locked on the disc (Capcpcpom), unfinished and critically flawed bug-filled games (Bethesda, Bioware), publishers stealing purchased content via EULA clauses (EA), people being banned from playing their games for forum posts (EA), Origin (EA), removal of LAN play (Activision Blizzard), kinect (MS), all xbox live content for the xbox 1 being revoked from people who paid for it - making them buy it again before shutting down the service (MS eg PGR2), online multiplayer functionality being removed for forced redundancy to make people buy the new version (Fifa, Madden, NFS, Battlefield), the death of future retro gaming courtesy of authentication servers for single player content being switched off (XBLIG, Asura's Wrath, Kingdoms of Amalur, Batman AC), iOS games being stolen by EA with cheery messages rubbing customers' noses in it (Rock Band), the war on second hand sales and accusations from pubs/devs of customers being "worse than pirates" for buying used (every major publisher bar Valve, Sega, Activision and Nintendo), and the complete information control of review scores by publishers who gain sales by defrauding their customers through outright lies masquerading as critical reviews (Rockstar, Microsoft, Bethesda, EA).

Every one of these practices has been defended to the hilt by Corporate Ballwashers, viral marketers, industry insiders and general industry sycophants.

None of it surprises me any more.

oh cool, new trailer for The Last of Us.
HOOK IT TO MY FUCKING VEINS WHY ISN"T IT OUT YET?!? :(
YgRZM.gif

Basically, the game has persistent internet connection DRM in order to play. Servers are full, so people are having to waiting in queue in order to solo-play the game.

Also, solo play lag, FTW.
Also the servers are/were down for quite a lot of hours so Blizzard could do a patch. So no-one could play even if they didn't want to do online stuff. Fun.

Also, I have a new Tron mouse. Was advertised on Catch of the Day Monday night. Bought then, shipped yesterday, arrived today. Fucking astonished.
What the hell man! No heads up? That mouse looked awesome you bastard! Never helping you out again :(

Also Blizzard love to be in control so there is no way they will ditch always on DRM now.

Shaneus

What the hell man! No heads up? That mouse looked awesome you bastard! Never helping you out again :(
Was on the way to the Prince concert and the internet was spotty at best. By the time the gig finished, I'd completely forgotten about it :( Being catch, I doubt it would've lasted long anyway.

And besides, if I had to wrestle with you to get Torchlight 2 (for $15) you sure as shit couldn't have gotten away with this mouse. It lights up and makes a sound when you plug it in, FFS. Can't hide that shit.

Also, you would've been better off waiting for the mouse + pad to go on sale so you can do this shit with it.

Online passes (EA), fundamentally broken hardware (360, PS3), hacked networks (XBLA, PSN), stolen credit cards and accounts (XBLA, PSN), online DRM (Ubisoft, EA, Sony etc etc), paid for console features removed via firmware updates (Other OS), single player content locked behind online codes (Arkham Asylum), microtransactions (Microsoft, Bethesda), content locked on the disc (Capcpcpom), unfinished and critically flawed bug-filled games (Bethesda, Bioware), publishers stealing purchased content via EULA clauses (EA), people being banned from playing their games for forum posts (EA), Origin (EA), removal of LAN play (Activision Blizzard), kinect (MS), all xbox live content for the xbox 1 being revoked from people who paid for it - making them buy it again before shutting down the service (MS eg PGR2), online multiplayer functionality being removed for forced redundancy to make people buy the new version (Fifa, Madden, NFS, Battlefield), the death of future retro gaming courtesy of authentication servers for single player content being switched off (XBLIG, Asura's Wrath, Kingdoms of Amalur, Batman AC), iOS games being stolen by EA with cheery messages rubbing customers' noses in it (Rock Band), the war on second hand sales and accusations from pubs/devs of customers being "worse than pirates" for buying used (every major publisher bar Valve, Sega, Activision and Nintendo), and the complete information control of review scores by publishers who gain sales by defrauding their customers through outright lies masquerading as critical reviews (Rockstar, Microsoft, Bethesda, EA).

Every one of these practices has been defended to the hilt by Corporate Ballwashers, viral marketers, industry insiders and general industry sycophants.

Stupid people still surprise me, no matter how stupid. Also, bookmarking that post... I think it covers everything. I'm just glad that in the close gaming circles I consider myself a part of (drawing the distinction here b/w AusGAF and NeoGAF) there's no-one who thinks like that.

Ah, BF Bad Company 3? Explains why EA are trying to sabotage Battlefield 3.

PM ME YOUR DETAILS SHANEUS BY THE POWER OF CHRIST I COMPEL YOU

Neither of those games are post-apocalypse survival against infected and survivors while teaming up with a little girl though Vince. And Ubisoft are too prissy to release I AM ALIVE on PC so fuck them.

My brother decided to bring me... a large bowl of hot custard. Just custard. Um, thanks?
My fiancée made some tea cake-ish thing the other day, after dinner I grabbed a slice and drizzled some maple syrup over it (shut up, it was a shitty day at work) and then a minute after I finished it she came in with another piece with cream and banana slices! Great minds think alike.

And I got to eat more food. :)

Dead Man

Yeah, that about sums it up. Really shitty when it's all in one post like that.

Yagharek

CE didn't arrive. Screw Auspost :(

Another forum I lurk on had some guy who won one of the limited edition mario themed 3DS systems go missing in the post. And then he found a card from the postman in the letterbox saying it had been dropped off in a blue bin outside his house.

That was his recycling bin, emptied a few days prior to finding the note.

Yeah, that about sums it up. Really shitty when it's all in one post like that.

I missed one - Rocksteady carried out some review shenanigans apparently, but not on the scale of rockstar, MS etc).

I like to think that even though it might be somewhat irrational, as an Essendon fan I have developed a particularly long and spiteful memory (bad umpiring vs Brisbane in the 1996 qualifying final for one). When it comes to gaming, the result is no less. I feel essentially pushed in the general direction to fewer and fewer publishers and developers these days. Everyone else is doing some absolutely horrid practices.

markot

Banned
From my experience the aus post contractors are terrible >_>;

For ages there was one around my place that would just put the cards in all the time without checking if someone was home. Then there are ones that leave them in odd places....

From my experience the aus post contractors are terrible >_>;

For ages there was one around my place that would just put the cards in all the time without checking if someone was home. Then there are ones that leave them in odd places....

Same here, the ones that usually visit my house drive by, get out of their vans, leave a final notice card and drive off. I had complained to the local post office as well but they said they can't do anything.

I caught one guy once, he was shoving a card down the post box when I appeared from the side gate and he quickly took it out and started tearing it.

Shaneus

Another forum I lurk on had some guy who won one of the limited edition mario themed 3DS systems go missing in the post. And then he found a card from the postman in the letterbox saying it had been dropped off in a blue bin outside his house.

That was his recycling bin, emptied a few days prior to finding the note.
Fuuuuck. That's a load of arse. Poor bastard.

Wait, was "Another forum" the Ranch?

I like to think that even though it might be somewhat irrational, as an Essendon fan I have developed a particularly long and spiteful memory (bad umpiring vs Brisbane in the 1996 qualifying final for one). When it comes to gaming, the result is no less. I feel essentially pushed in the general direction to fewer and fewer publishers and developers these days. Everyone else is doing some absolutely horrid practices.
The way I see it, something good *could* come of this. With bigger companies doing more and more to screw people over (and it FINALLY becoming more visible, a la this and Ubisoft during Christmas last year) I have a feeling we'll have some kind of an uprising of sorts. The Kickstarters, Double Finers, Torchlighters... the mid-tier companies that can still offer a game of amazing quality without feeling the need to charge full RRP or rape people with microtransactions. There could be a revolt in our midst, gentlemen. At least, I'd like to think so.

PM ME YOUR DETAILS SHANEUS BY THE POWER OF CHRIST I COMPEL YOU
Roger-dodger. Can I assume by the lack of angry tone that you're not totally upset with me about the mouse thing? I assure you I'll keep my eye out, but given the spectacle it makes of itself, it would have been REALLY hard to justify to (or hide from) the missus.

BTW Did I give you T2 yet? I can't remember :(

and holy fucking shit, I just remembered I had some crumbs left in the bottom of a jaalfdsapeno and mortgaged cheese red rock deli chips and im so excited aii cant tawatit to finish this sentence or even suse backspace because zomg awesome

Legendary. This is a lament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom