• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOOkRl.jpg

Did I win? It was nearly impossible without inverted controls!

I never ever ever ever ever ever want to go through buying a house ever again.

I never ever ever ever ever ever want to move house ever again.

I never ever ever ever ever ever want to move back in with my parents ever again.

You're living my dream life!!!

PS-Congrats. How's the house market where you are?
Buyer's market right now, (Brisbane is depressed after the floods last year) which is why I'm so stoked about the price we got (~$20K above what I bought it for in '09). It was a cash offer and the buyer was in a hurry, so we took it. I lost money (about $7K) on another property I'm selling to finance the house we want to buy and this more than made up the shortfall.

The good news is that houses are cheap right now. The bad news is that we probably still can't afford to buy a decent house that's also close to the city. We basically have a choice between something nice that's a 45 - 50 minute train ride out or something dinky that's half an hour out. I'm leaning toward the nicer end of things.

Buyer's market right now, (Brisbane is depressed after the floods last year) which is why I'm so stoked about the price we got (~$20K above what I bought it for in '09). It was a cash offer and the buyer was in a hurry, so we took it. I lost money (about $7K) on another property I'm selling to finance the house we want to buy and this more than made up the shortfall.

The good news is that houses are cheap right now. The bad news is that we probably still can't afford to buy a decent house that's also close to the city. We basically have a choice between something nice that's a 45 - 50 minute train ride out or something dinky that's half an hour out. I'm leaning toward the nicer end of things.

Lets hope it stays like that for another 10 years. Wait for me, buyer's market!

Brisbane houses are still insane though. When my family was looking back in '07, anything decent cost 700,000 +. I don't what that's like now, but if prices continue to rise I don't know how anyone will be able to afford it.

Choc

Banned

Be happy you can afford a house :p

come to Sydney, forget it assuming you are not on above average incomes.

its so ridiculous how unaffordable sydney has become. and the government thinks this is a GOOD thing

It's not a good thing that police officers can't afford to live in the areas they serve. That is a very bad thing Government.

the choice in sydney right now is

1 hour versus 2

if you want less than an hour, time to cough the fuck up.

Less than 30? You millionaire!

Is there really an audience for Marathon? I thought it was okay but the original Halo was a major step up in quality in my mind.

I totally agree that Halo was tonnes better, but I think there would be a market just for nostalgia's sake.

Dob those pricks in Kritz. If they can't do the work they'll be fucked in other courses anyway.
I enjoyed The Mystical Kritz and the murderous cucumbers until I got stuck in a canyon. 5/5

Lets hope it stays like that for another 10 years. Wait for me, buyer's market!

Brisbane houses are still insane though. When my family was looking back in '07, anything decent cost 700,000 +. I don't what that's like now, but if prices continue to rise I don't know how anyone will be able to afford it.
Indications right now are that we'll probably end up buying something with 3/4 bedrooms in Springfield Lakes, which is technically part of Ipswich. The other choice is staying near Mt Gravatt / Holland Park / Greenslopes / Annerley / Moorooka but making do with a 2 bedroom house that's quite a bit older.

Our main criteria is being close to a train line.

My ideal would be to live in Toowong, Taringa, Sherwood, Graceville or Indooroopilly but fat chance of that ever happening. The pie in the sky dream is to live in Teneriffe, New Farm, Bardon, Highgate Hill, Paddington or St Lucia. Unless you're a millionaire or work the mines though, the only way to get a proper house in those suburbs now is to inherit one.

midonnay

e3 is probably going to suck this year without any new consoles except WiiU

only thing that can save it is Metroid x Starfox
x Fzero

Choc

Banned
Indications right now are that we'll probably end up buying something with 3/4 bedrooms in Springfield Lakes, which is technically part of Ipswich. The other choice is staying near Mt Gravatt / Holland Park / Greenslopes / Annerley / Moorooka but making do with a 2 bedroom house that's quite a bit older.

My ideal would be to live in Toowong, Taringa, Sherwood, Graceville or Indooroopilly but fat chance of that ever happening. The pie in the sky dream is to live in Teneriffe, New Farm, Bardon, Highgate Hill, Paddington or St Lucia. Unless you're a millionaire or work the mines though, the only way to get a proper house in those suburbs now is to inherit one.

a friend of mine lives in Indooripilly, near the train line

edit: :O thanks markot

Completely agree with this mate. i am currently renting in Toowong. prime location but it costs.

I have just started looking at houses myself, my initial thoughts are that i think i can can afford to get a house near toowong, i am currently looking at around $450,000.
Not possible without going into the purchase with my GF or a mate who might look to buy soon.

Are you buying with a partner?

Personally, after i lived with my parents out in forest lake and Springfield lakes growing up i am happy to never step foot out that way again. If it means i continue renting, i will do so.

a friend of mine lives in Indooripilly, near the train line

edit: :O thanks markot

expensive as hell choc. uni apartments or just expensive housing in that area

$450K in Toowong buys you a unit, basically. I've lived in a unit for the last three years and my wife and I are getting to the point where we need more space. Life in Springfield Lakes would be tolerable for us once the train line comes in.

But we don't really drink or go to gigs, so proximity to the city for us is more about being able to get to work. Your mileage may vary,

Man Springfield is nice. The fact its in Ipswich shouldn't get you down the whole area is pretty decent and getting some cool shit there. Its an odd place seeing its still so underdevelopment, but its a nice place, there are a lot worse places to live.

Also, being in Ipswich you should then buy my newspaper. Do it. It's not always shit. WE CAN START IPSGAF!!

A mate of mine is buying (finance permitting) a flat in New Farm. It'll be his (and his wife's) first place. So its doable, but that's a flat. Also Sherwood is nice.

Edit: Man, isn't being a republic awesome? http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/carriage-for-queen-elizabeths-80th-birthday-that-cost-taxpayers-245000-still-in-australia-six-years-later/story-e6freooo-1226363350289

Id be taking 2 bedrooms over springfield lakes, but that's just me.

The bus way would be worth considering as well. 20mins to the city from 8mile plains.

Those are unfortunately pie in the sky for sure, so much money.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Kritz shouldn't do any more work and then cause the entire team to fail. Then on the same day, walk up to the teacher and show him the design documents along with the app for what you actually did, Since no one helped you out.

Doubt that works but if this was TV it would.

Springfield lakes is kind of in the middle of no-where though right?

But we don't really drink or go to gigs, so proximity to the city for us is more about being able to get to work. Your mileage may vary,

Lol, as if there are things to do in Brisbane. :p

One thing Brisbane really needs is more train/bus routes. If I want to take public transport I have to take the bus to the city first, effectively adding 30 minutes to any journey I take. Would be so nice to have a bus that went through the western suburbs down to Indooropilly and St Lucia. Its silly that it take 15-20 minutes from the Gap to UQ in the car, but 1 hour (and 5 bucks) on the bus. Still, the gap is a pretty nice area. Close to Paddington and the city. Kinda pricey, but its leafy and quiet /salespitch.

$450K in Toowong buys you a unit, basically. I've lived in a unit for the last three years and my wife and I are getting to the point where we need more space. Life in Springfield Lakes would be tolerable for us once the train line comes in.

The train line i have worked on :D (part of my job)

But hey guess what, when we were living in Springfield lakes....6 years ago now, they said the train line would be built in 2012. lol-fact(far as i can remember). (actually doing something to plan for once)

anyhow, if the apartment is spacious enough that's good for me, i hate restrictions of elevators etc. to get home though. I love living 10-15 mins bus from city because the tiny commute to work each day leads to me living a MUCH happier life.

It obviously all ends up being personal preference and needs.

Springfield lakes is kind of in the middle of no-where though right?

Lol, as if there are things to do in Brisbane. :p

One thing Brisbane really needs is more train/bus routes. If I want to take public transport I have to take the bus to the city first, effectively adding 30 minutes to any journey I take. Would be so nice to have a bus that went through the western suburbs down to Indooropilly and St Lucia. Its silly that it take 15-20 minutes from the Gap to UQ in the car, but 1 hour (and 5 bucks) on the bus. Still, the gap is a pretty nice area. Close to Paddington and the city. Kinda pricey, but its leafy and quiet /salespitch.

Shan, try working in the industry that is responsible for upgrading these types of things, being constantly frustrated by them day in day out, like yourself, only to see work come in for upgrading places which obviously just involves brisbane constantly expanding outward.

What the fuck happened to improving facilities for the existing brisbane......where are the improvements from the city outward so that coronation drive isn't moving 2m every 10 minutes in peak and (i dunno about you guys) the bus service i used to catch being either 10-30 minutes late or just not appearing at all when it is time to go home.

/rant

Yeah, the train line out to Springfield Lakes is being built as we speak, which is why we are even considering it. Also, we currently live on the busway, but my wife gets motion sickness from buses, so it's not ideal longer term unfortunately.

Pretty sure the station opens next year. Off the top of my head.

Was it Campbell who killed the T3 lanes on Coro and stopped buses making good time in peak hour? Great job there

Pretty sure the station opens next year. Off the top of my head.

Was it Campbell who killed the T3 lanes on Coro and stopped buses making good time in peak hour? Great job there

Dunno what stopped it, stupid decision though.

As i am currently in Sydney, just witnessing how good the bus lanes are here i am utterly stunned by how good (although somewhat confusing) the bus systems are here.

Even when i went out to clippers on the Sunday the longest i waited for a bus was 5 mins.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone that coro drive is not going to get any extra lanes added in, the smart thing to do would be to make the outside lanes bus lanes during peak times. say 7-9 / 5-7 and it would achieve 3 things.

1. stop people driving in, because bus systems would actually be good.
2. make a hell of a lot of people happy
3. be good for the environment

Shan, try working in the industry that is responsible for upgrading these types of things, being constantly frustrated by them day in day out, like yourself, only to see work come in for upgrading places which obviously just involves brisbane constantly expanding outward.

What the fuck happened to improving facilities for the existing brisbane......where are the improvements from the city outward so that coronation drive isn't moving 2m every 10 minutes in peak and (i dunno about you guys) the bus service i used to catch being either 10-30 minutes late or just not appearing at all when it is time to go home.

/rant

I hear you marsh.

Is Brisbane transport run by the state or the city council?

v Really slow for me too holy.

Choc

Banned
Without buslanes in Sydney we'd be even more stuffed traffic wise.

Every single bus would be 1 hour late in the morning due to the gridlock.

Bus lanes = win

edit: Check they are cutting costs already to stop the bleeding of the share price :p

Coro drive needs to be duplicated vertically from Toowong to the CBD. Yes, it'll ruin the view of the river from the Regatta and Park Road, but it's really the only way to solve the traffic issue.

senahorse

Maybe decrease the cost of fares in Brisbane and I would be on-board with more bus lanes.

Currently it's cheaper for my gf and I to drive to work each day and pay for parking then it is for us to catch public transport and that's factoring in maintenance costs and such, talk about a backwards system. Oh yeah, and it takes us 30 minutes to get to work by car, closer to an hour by bus/train.

I hear you marsh.
Is Brisbane transport run by the state or the city council?

Translink shan, which is QLD government, no council involvement i believe.

Without buslanes in Sydney we'd be even more stuffed traffic wise.

Every single bus would be 1 hour late in the morning due to the gridlock.

Bus lanes = win

Choc can you come to Brisbane and rant about this to my government please.

Coro drive needs to be duplicated vertically from Toowong to the CBD. Yes, it'll ruin the view of the river from the Regatta and Park Road, but it's really the only way to solve the traffic issue.

.....nup, can't let you ruin my view, i am too self important. lol (i live next to the regatta)

While you are generally correct mate, the noise problems this would cause and public issues this sort of thing brings up is exactly why the government doesn't even bother considering it.

If we could somehow tunnel some lanes into the city it would be perfect.

Maybe decrease the cost of fares in Brisbane and I would be on-board with more bus lanes.

Currently it's cheaper for my gf and I to drive to work each day and pay for parking then it is for us to catch public transport and that's factoring in maintenance costs and such, talk about a backwards system. Oh yeah, and it takes us 30 minutes to get to work by car, closer to an hour by bus/train.

Costs me $7 to get from 1 end of coro to the other each day. That or i can walk it for an extra 15 mins travel time

Clipper

BrisGAF, I've picked my dates and flights. I'll be available from Jun 28 through July 5 (although I fly out that evening, so can't do anything late).

In terms of others:

Marsh comes back on the 29th, so pretty much anything is OK with him and Kritz will be there from the 2nd-8th but is busy on the 5th.

Hence, to fit everybody, we'd need to do a meetup on a weekday evening of the 2nd-4th of July. I'd like to keep the 4th free as well if that's at all possible, though. If you prefer to do a weekend thing, perhaps with board games, I'm all for it, too.

Anyway, I'm just a Brissy ex-pat, so I'll leave it up to the guys that still live there permanently to decide on what actually happens. Sorry for taking so long to finalise dates...

Dunno what stopped it, stupid decision though.

As i am currently in Sydney, just witnessing how good the bus lanes are here i am utterly stunned by how good (although somewhat confusing) the bus systems are here.

Even when i went out to clippers on the Sunday the longest i waited for a bus was 5 mins.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone that coro drive is not going to get any extra lanes added in, the smart thing to do would be to make the outside lanes bus lanes during peak times. say 7-9 / 5-7 and it would achieve 3 things.

1. stop people driving in, because bus systems would actually be good.
2. make a hell of a lot of people happy
3. be good for the environment

Really? I've only ever heard horrible things about Sydney's public transport. Although it seems to be wherever you go people say somewhere else's system is better.

Isn't the tunnel around Toowong meant to help divert a lot of that? Moving traffic off Milton to the tunnel and some off Coro and onto Milton?

Totally, but it's not going to happen. It's already one of the most heavily subsidised networks in the country.

Gazunta

Kritz try not to let your slack team members bother you. I had the exact same experience at QANTM. Two of us worked our butts off, three of us didn't. The two of us who worked ended up getting jobs at Krome and the others never even got a look in the games industry.

BrisGAF (BestGAF) - July 2-4 weeknights are good for me. Somewhere in Brisbane / Fortitude Valley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom