• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Oh Shaneus, Joyride Turbo is good times. Just finished the first 2 cups and now on to the 300cc series and collecting stuff in the parks. Great little title, my only complaint is that I wish there were more tracks.

Shaneus

Oh Shaneus, Joyride Turbo is good times. Just finished the first 2 cups and now on to the 300cc series and collecting stuff in the parks. Great little title, my only complaint is that I wish there were more tracks.
Glad you like it! Bought it, then? Not tonight, but should hook up if there's any benefit for MP.

Dream Trigger 3D for $21
MGS HD Collection PSVita for $38 pre-order
Catherine on PS3/360 for $37
Dead Island GOTY Edition on PS3/360 for $27 (laziest collection ever?)
Metro 2033/Darksiders for 360 for $19

National Doughnut Day at Krispy Kreme on Friday! Free doughnut, no purchase or coupon required!

Just going from Wikipedia

Ubisoft:

Defunct
Wolfpack Studios - Acquired 1 March 2004, Closed 2006 - Who then started up Stray Bullet Games to continue to support the Shadowbane MMO with other employees who didn't stick with it ending up at Ubisoft and subsequently other studios
Action Pants Inc - Acquired 3 February 2009, Closed January 2012 - Someone thought they would make good games. They didn't. Academy of Champions got okay reviews but their other titles were shovelware in the best sense of the word.
Ubisoft São Paulo/Southlogic Studios - One half was originally for the publishing side there and Southlogic came over with 20 employees to do some Imagine games for the DS. None of which sold or reviewed to even medicority.

Ubisoft currently have 6700 employees and 26 studios.

I didn't "use" Take 2 because Rockstar are the ones with the successful practise, not Take 2 who are lucky to have Rockstar to prop up their financials along with a few hits like the NBA series and Bioshock. Rockstar have closed their low level port studios overseas though when Manhunt 2 was coming along poorly and Rockstar London basically took their place. Man that game sucked. We did get Cursed Mountain out of all that though, which turned out pretty good! PC version is up on Gamersgate.

Why do you think there would be any real difference? A lot of the time we're talking about a studio in a different city or country than the beancounters, whether it's internal or external. There's no particular reason that communication is going to be any better. Internal communication within big companies is usually pretty poor.
I can really only go on history, based mostly around stories from developers that have shut down due to issues.

Will be interesting to see how Free Radical go as an internal studio with Crytek compared to their time working on projects for other publishers like EA and Ubisoft. They have been handed Homefront 2 and a nice new 50 million pound office.

With the kinds of games we're talking about, the developer is not spending their own money, they're spending the publishers money.
Just based on stories such as Double Fine it very much seems like developers sometimes have to use their own money.

So basically they've stopped funding as many games? This is my point. Distributing games that someone else has made isn't risky and obviously EA aren't the only ones distributing those sorts of games.
Well yes, that is what I have been saying by shovelware not bringing in the dollars any more. Why saturate and hope for the best when you can just use that time to pick and choose the products that will give a better rate of return.

Basically my point is that publishers are making fewer games for consoles and this why studios are reporting there is less work available for them. It's not because internal studios are a magical land where magic happens.
The middle tier has died right off indeed. Sucks to see those studios doing stuff like map packs for COD but at least Free Radical have been able to live on in some way and now have the chance to reboot an IP. I am surprised that more of those studios reporting that there is less work haven't shifted more towards PC development for Steam after a few high profile wins, like the Alan Wake PC version becoming profitable within hours even after really giving the PC port a lot of love while still releasing at a budget price.
And my favourite work on most of the consoles are internal stuff! Aside from Platinum of course.

Actually there have been some weird external development going on with Japan, friggin Ninja Theory running DmC and Spark Unlimited taking on Lost Planet 3. Neither studio have set the charts on fire, although Lot Planet 2 was a bomba so maybe Spark are super, super cheap labour.

Also did anyone remember seeing Alpha Protocol on shelves at low prices? I only ever saw it as low as $46 at EB when I grabbed it a month after launch. It is super cheap now but most things are at this point in its life. I wonder how big the budget was for 700k to not be worth following up on a new IP.

Gazunta

Perhaps Gaz has his finger on the pulse and can confirm, but Mario from Sidhe has noted several times the drop off of tenders available from big publishers since 2008.
Yeah, Mario nailed it. There's a lot less work out there now, and whatever's on offer is for far less money. I was watching one newly released game's Quicklook on Giant Bomb today and remembered that it was a game we were offered - but had to turn down since we'd be losing money making it even if we just did it with the bare essential team members. It made more sense to close up shop, and cost everyone their jobs, than to take on a paying game offer.

How fucked is that.

buy gravity rush

Gaz, its like crackdown.

WHAT

I do enjoy the Gravity Rush ad that is on Kotaku at the moment.

God I want a new Crackdown.

I think I'll make a comic that is 50% just jumping off buildings.

Yagharek

Yeah, Mario nailed it. There's a lot less work out there now, and whatever's on offer is for far less money. I was watching one newly released game's Quicklook on Giant Bomb today and remembered that it was a game we were offered - but had to turn down since we'd be losing money making it even if we just did it with the bare essential team members. It made more sense to close up shop, and cost everyone their jobs, than to take on a paying game offer.

See, this is what I dont get.

It may be that there is far less work out there, but as a customer it seems like there is far too many releases coming out for a limited market. It seems like the major publishers' reticence to support anything but their narrowly defined target platforms has bit everyone in the arse except them.

God I want a new Crackdown.
MIB is the best game I have ever seen. They couldn't have offered more than $32 for that kind of effort!

Also no interest in the new Prototype? They scratch the Crackdown itch a liiiiiiiiiiiiittle for me.

Choc

Banned
given the quality of that quicklook it was so MIB

also if the company doesnt exist anymore, does an NDA applying to that company still exist :p

I'm looking at Lego sets again. In a few minds as to what to get. Things I am considering right now:

1. Retro Space Police sets off ebay/amazon like Galactic Commander or whatever its called.
2. Some modern set with shitloads of pieces (like London Bridge which has 4000 odd).
3. Dinosaurs
Combination of 1 and 3 for fugitive Space Dinosaurs

What would AusGAF do?

edit: $350 for series 1 space police :(

SPACE POLICE all the way. ALL THE WAY. And Blacktron too.

Make your own sets using Bricklink.com and the instruction scans online. Usually works out waaaaaaaaay cheaper.

Enjoy your Cracklink addiction.

Enjoy your Cracklink addiction.
7784-1.jpg

MUST FAPPENMEISTER

Oh shit that's out? I am so out of the loop :( I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, even if the story was stupid.
LOGS has the 360 version for $55 and Zavvi the PS3 one for $50.

YOU MUST BUY!

Jintor

Sitting in the MCA waiting for the gaming showcase to start. Listening to some unholy msshup of the Jackson five and grandfather flash

Choc

Banned
Jintor have they set it up on the roof, because if they have, i can probably dead set see you from my house on the other side of the harbour

house being unit of course. I assume you mean the museum of contemporay art

Serious question: bricklink is just like ebay isnt it? ie it works the same with paypal?

Yeah mostly paypal, Bank Deposit for some local sellers. No bidding though luckily.

Each seller has their own postage rate, and currency they accept, and they may charge you paypal fees or other fees depending on their mood. It's easy to see the price per part, if there's a minimum order the seller requires, and the aforementioned postage charges though. The older Lego sets are nice in that they're generally all standard pieces, with a few specialty pieces depending on the range, so you can usually find the Space parts quite easily. Went on a multiple-hundred dollar spending spree a few years ago, up to the gills in Futuron, Space Police and Blacktron parts.

Yagharek

Well the thing is there are two sets in particular I'm quite set on getting, and they will work well for what I intend to do. Sort of an amalgam of the two sets for one nefarious purpose.

Choc

Banned
if i told you kinect steel batallion could be the most innovative game this year you wouldn't believe me

but the game is amazing. Perfect use of Kinect in a hardcore game

uses the controller when it should, and kinect for peripheral things like changing gear levers, hitting buttons, moving around ht emech

its really, truly awesome.

Wow. Day 1.

Yagharek

Chco, Ive seen people on other sites split 50/50 roughly between the game being absolute shit and others saying its got a lot going for it. Any problems at all, or do you have a kinect-approved loungeroom to make it work?

Choc

Banned
well last time i tried kincet it was fucked. they have done a lot to improve it (works sitting down now for example). I have a far from approved kinect lounge room.

let me give you one example of this game

you are sitting in the VT tryign to scope out enemies. being in a tank you can't see. Stand up and it opens the hatch automatically, you then bring your arm to your eyes in a binocular shape and can use binoculars to scope the enemy. Find them, sit down back in the VT and run to them,

Shoot with controller.

Start taking to much damage, raise right arm, pull panel forward, hit eject button

it is totally amazing, and proof when done right Kinect is well worth it. Wow just wow.

Fogz

if i told you kinect steel batallion could be the most innovative game this year you wouldn't believe me

but the game is amazing. Perfect use of Kinect in a hardcore game

uses the controller when it should, and kinect for peripheral things like changing gear levers, hitting buttons, moving around ht emech

its really, truly awesome.

Wow. Day 1.

Just the little tiny bit that Giant Bomb talked about during one of their PAX videos sold me on it. It sounds so amazing! :)
Fist bump!

Could you do it for a whole hour straight and for a full 8 hour campaign over multiple sittings?

Also I don't mind redheads. Only if they are ladies though.

Yagharek

Still keen if you are! Let me know how much (srsly, I know you said you'd donate, but I'm not accepting it for nothing :p) and we'll work it out :)

Hmm, I forget exactly what I said or whether it was wires crossed, but in any case I remember it was your first dibs anyway. Send me a pm with what you want to offer (incl post) and I'll send it later this week (should be on wednesday when I get time).

I think from memory I only paid about $50 for it.

Choc

Banned
Could you do it for a whole hour straight and for a full 8 hour campaign over multiple sittings?

Also I don't mind redheads. Only if they are ladies though.

i think i could, over a few sittings

also i think multiplayer could be fuck awesome if done right. I wonder if when your VT dies and you dont eject it kills your save like the first game

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i put prototype 2 in my ps3

i fired it up andwithin 5 minutes turned it off

most generic shit ever

lol

Prototype 2 is pretty fun if you're looking for a mindless superhero style game. You're jus ludicrously overpowered, but that's half the fun.

Just make sure you push through the short, shitty scripted intro, so you can see the actual game :p.

Jintor

So that was fun times. The dudes from Hitbox (behind Dustforce) were in attendance, as well as Bubblegum Interactive (Little Space Heroes), the dude behind REBEL YELL, The Project Factory (Lost Monsters), and Tony Moniaty (WarCo) were all speakers and were pretty super interesting (though Bubblegum and Project Factory were all talking about social games and marketability which was not my cup of tea).

I'm thinking of pitching to Serrels, assuming he didn't already have a mole at the MCA

So that was fun times. The dudes from Hitbox (behind Dustforce) were in attendance, as well as Bubblegum Interactive (Little Space Heroes), the dude behind REBEL YELL, The Project Factory (Lost Monsters), and Tony Moniaty (WarCo) were all speakers and were pretty super interesting (though Bubblegum and Project Factory were all talking about social games and marketability which was not my cup of tea).

I'm thinking of pitching to Serrels, assuming he didn't already have a mole at the MCA

Any pictures?

Also the awesome Dustforce soundtrack can be picked up for FREE along with Terraria, Plants vs. Zombies, Ilomio, Frozen Synapse soundtracks!

Stackboy

Got a meeting with my manager today. It should confirm that my contract won't be extended beyond June. I'll be fine, I feel more for people with family and mortgages and all that.

Already started to apply for jobs. Thanks for the well wishes y'all.

In other news, I am onboard the hype train for E3. CHOO CHOO!!

All the best, Stackboy. I'm wishing that the discussion is to talk about extending your contract. Chances are I'll be in the same boat sometime this year. Yay, mortgage repayments and all that.

Regarding E3: Anyone else hoping for a Majora's Mask 3DS remake announcement? It's been a loooooooooong time since I've played that and I really couldn't not be bothered hooking up my N64. You know I want it Nintendo.

linkfrytakemymoney.jpg

Clipper

SydGAF Board Gamers. When's our next day going to be? It seems Marsh is busy this weekend now and then he'll be away until late June, so it doesn't have to be this weekend if there are better dates. When are you guys available and when would you prefer?

Yagharek

Regarding E3: Anyone else hoping for a Majora's Mask 3DS remake announcement? It's been a loooooooooong time since I've played that and I really couldn't not be bothered hooking up my N64. You know I want it Nintendo.

linkfrytakemymoney.jpg

I want it. OOT 3d was my first time completing it, so majoras mask would be a nice follow up.

MM left me with a bad taste
fucking trading sequence you needed to do to get into the hideout. Made me resolve to never play games that required the FAQ printed out in front of you to get through

I would like to place a bet with Ausgaf as to when this phenomenon hits our local media as a 'thing'

3CNHJ.jpg

I'm betting within the next three weeks.

linkfrytakemymoney.jpg
The first time the screen shrunk as the clock chimed in the end of the day, I thought my Wii was broken. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom