• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
he is a moderate progressive liberal

he would be imo one of the finest PM's we've ever had, and i generally vote ALP.

Generally...

edit: Omi, Epic confirmed it cannot

Fredescu

I'm kind of afraid of Turnbull, he is reasonable enough that he would sweep to victory, but I don't want a Liberal government, regardless of who is leading it.
It's nice to want things, but the next government is going to be Liberal. It would be nice if the leader was a bit more socially progressive like Turnbull, even though I doubt he would always get his way.

hamchan

Yet another first party box!

Indeed. Allows me to buy the thing a few years out when it's cheaper since I know it'll just be 1st party stuff I'm willing to wait for. Also if the minimum graphical level next gen is on the level of the Wii U Zelda tech demo then I'm happy.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Dudebros.

*shakes fist*

Anyone wanting one console to be enough I guess. Which is probably not many in this thread to be fair.

UE4 isn't even finished, no games right now are being made on it except for maybe inside Epic.

So say people start making games on it in the middle of NEXT year. That's still 2 years until we see a game and half the life of the Wii U.

It means nothing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
*shakes fist*

UE4 isn't even finished, no games right now are being made on it except for maybe inside Epic.

So say people start making games on it in the middle of NEXT year. That's still 2 years until we see a game and half the life of the Wii U.

It means nothing.

Fredescu

It means nothing.
It means plenty for Microsoft who will essentially have a bunch of exclusives at or near launch of the "720". It probably won't result in the Wii U getting any less third party support than the Wii got if that's what you mean.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Wii U can't run UE4? Who gives a shit.

Because gamers want more than 3 games on a $400 console? Where ports could actually look great and have a unique experience (hopefully a good one) with the tablet?

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Shame it won't run it.

hamchan

Just read the first page of that thread. The bile and sheer hatred gave me a headache.

My position on the Wii U remains the same. I don't care about particle effects or glossy hair simulation - if Nintendo want my money, they will release a Zelda on it.

Of course they'll release a Zelda game on it and it will be similar to all their past Zelda games!

If Nintendo wants my money they need to release a new F-Zero, preferably developed in collaboration with Sega and Nagoshi again.

Omikron

Whatever the case (and people are reading too much into that twitter comment imo), I enjoyed my Wii for what it was to supplement my PC gaming.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny, half of the topics on the front page of gaming nowadays don't interest me, yet I'm more excited about video games now than I ever have been. Big budget console game development has become (largely, not entirely) so boring; Nintendo have become so predictable. Thankfully, there's so much going on in the lower-budget arena at the moment. It's fantastic.

Fredescu

But MT is a big fan of the NBN secretly.
I think that's going too far. Even if he's a bit progressive socially, he's still economically a Liberal, meaning he would generally oppose any sort of big government project like this and prefer to let the market sort it out.

It's funny, half of the topics on the front page of gaming nowadays don't interest me, yet I'm more excited about video games now than I ever have been. Big budget console game development has become (largely, not entirely) so boring; Nintendo have become so predictable. Thankfully, there's so much going on in the lower-budget arena at the moment. It's fantastic.
Totally. Also going to read Cloud Atlas based on your gushing.

Of course they'll release a Zelda game on it and it will be similar to all their past Zelda games
Zelda games are more different to one another than current gen FPSs from different series are. I never understood the charges of homogeneity aimed at this series.
I think that's going too far. Even if he's a bit progressive socially, he's still economically a Liberal, meaning he would generally oppose any sort of big government project like this and prefer to let the market sort it out.
Like how the market provided us all with roads and drinking water, amirite?

Yagharek

I really don't care how powerful or not Wii u is. I'm getting it for the concept, the implied first party content, and BC support.

If its bleeding edge, great. If its behind the curve so be it.

Fredescu

Like how the market provided us all with roads and drinking water, amirite?
I'd been trying to figure out where exactly I stand politically for a long time, when I read a post on reddit that resonated with me a fair bit. It said something like, the market is brilliant at providing optional things, but terrible at providing things that everybody needs. There is no point in having competition when doubling up on whatever it is, like roads or water pipes (natural monopolies?), actually makes things worse. In those cases, aiming for profit growth when there is limited physical space for your stuff, just makes things more expensive and access harder to get. In the case of consumable stuff or lifestyle stuff, the market is far far more efficient at providing that stuff.

It sounds like common sense, at least to me, but it seems like most people who want to talk about political theory are either "why should I pay for this guys water?" or "the workers will rise up to seize the means of production" with not all that much in the middle. Maybe it's just the extremes that stick out.

That's a bit of a rambley outpouring, but oh well.

Dead Man

I'd been trying to figure out where exactly I stand politically for a long time, when I read a post on reddit that resonated with me a fair bit. It said something like, the market is brilliant at providing optional things, but terrible at providing things that everybody needs. There is no point in having competition when doubling up on whatever it is, like roads or water pipes (natural monopolies?), actually makes things worse. In those cases, aiming for profit growth when there is limited physical space for your stuff, just makes things more expensive and access harder to get. In the case of consumable stuff or lifestyle stuff, the market is far far more efficient at providing that stuff.

It sounds like common sense, at least to me, but it seems like most people who want to talk about political theory are either "why should I pay for this guys water?" or "the workers will rise up to seize the means of production" with not all that much in the middle. Maybe it's just the extremes that stick out.

I have thought for a long time that all infrastructure and public works should be government run (or at least controlled and tendered to private companies), and the market should take care of everything else.

Salazar

A PRISONER remanded over the highrise balcony death of Tumara Cousins has been allegedly bashed behind bars by a nude Finks bikie.

Police have charged Fink Kris Spizzirri with assault occasioning bodily harm for allegedly raining blows on his cellmate Christopher James Cairns in a frenzied 90-second attack, The Gold Coast Bulletin reports.

Prison, huh.

I just like video games. Of the three home consoles currently available, the Wii had the most video games I liked. If the follow-up is "another Wii", that's perfectly fine by me.

Then again, I have more DS games than I do PS3+360 combined so my eyes are more on 3DS/Vita anyway.

SydGAF Board Gamers. When's our next day going to be? It seems Marsh is busy this weekend now and then he'll be away until late June, so it doesn't have to be this weekend if there are better dates. When are you guys available and when would you prefer?

Ah ok. Well I've got an assessment due on the 8th and then after that I've got a couple of essays due and exams after that. Would be looking at the 23rd onwards really since my last exam is on the 22nd.

nope, still never heard of that song

going off to youtube

It just seems like a pop song to me. Not sure why people really dislike it. When covers of it were being linked on reddit a decent folkish one was linked that got me onto a new artist, so thought I'd link it as well in case it's up anyone else's alley. It's by a guy called Ben Howard.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

Wii came out at the end of 2006 (say 2007). It's 2012. 5 years.

It means plenty for Microsoft who will essentially have a bunch of exclusives at or near launch of the "720". It probably won't result in the Wii U getting any less third party support than the Wii got if that's what you mean.

Wii U isn't going to get the big exclusives or the big big AAA(A) games outside of launch period. Unless a MILLION things line up, MS go full on Kinect mode and Sony continue to fuck up it's going to much of the same.

I don't see Sony coming back from the funk they're in now for another decade at least. I knew as soon as they unveiled the PSV that they hadn't learnt one damn thing from this gen.

Between that and Nintendo being unable to break its old habits vis a vis third parties, next gen is Microsoft's to lose.

Fredescu

it's going to much of the same.
I think so too. I just figured there'd be people wanting more. Not performance wise, but support wise. Once I got over my initial disappointment relative to expectations, I was pretty happy with the Wii too. If the Wii U has as much quality over it's lifetime it will be a good system. Having it as a primary system won't be worth the heartache though.

Salazar was the guy who bought that one copy of FIFA Street? Nice!

Haven't the vast majority of ausgaf 'transcended' consoles as primary platforms?

Or is that just my vague impressions.
PC main, 360 for cheevos since I have been doing it since 2005. If the 720 carries over my gamerscore they have a customer in me. Otherwise cutting edge PC stuff for me!

Can the WiiU run it?
I would be surprised if Epic don't support it eventually.

Haven't the vast majority of ausgaf 'transcended' consoles as primary platforms?

Or is that just my vague impressions.
AusGAF has transcended rampant fanboyism in favour of playing whatever games on whatever systems they like.

Personally, I'll probably buy the Wii U in the second half or last third of its life, after the inevitable price cut. That is, if it turns out to be another Wii. There's been good games on the system, but far too spread out for my liking. Buying at launch hasn't paid off for me.

My brother has kidnapped the Xbox because he 'needs it in his room to edit cod montages' so I have been forced into pc gaming. I enjoy it more anyway. No lol on Xbox :p just sucks that there are a bunch of games I own on it but have never finished.

Ugh. May cycle through pyjamas and box sets of 90s drama until I actually have to do something on Friday.

Not in a good place.
:( Hey! If you aren't coming to uni I can't run into you on the bus!

Oh, I started usagi drop. First impressions: love the artstyle, already emotionally tied to the characters, tearjerking, nice to not have a character with breasts bigger than her head. Only con: opening theme music was kinda forgettable.

Nah it was interesting. I feel pretty much the same way, but I still have no idea who that means I should vote for.

Fredescu

Omi said:
I did mention before that I don't think many in this thread stick to one console, yeah.

Nah it was interesting. I feel pretty much the same way, but I still have no idea who that means I should vote for.
Another half baked theory I have is that alternating ideologies in government isn't a bad thing. If Labor stay in for too long you get shit like NSW got, and if the Libs stay in too long you get workchoices and children overboard. I don't think one lot of guys being in power for too long is ever good, which is another in the long list of reasons why partisanship is bad.

"I believe I'll vote for a third-party candidate."

"Go ahead, throw your vote away!"

If only people would vote outside of the major parties more instead of viewing it as "well it's a two-party system, vote for the one you consider the lesser evil".

Fredescu

We have preferential voting here, so "it's a two party system" doesn't apply to us. Vote 1 for who you want, and 2 for whichever major you find least bad.

Choc

Banned
I'd never want to see someone in control of both houses again.

i personally think it should be in the constitution that it can't happen. Whats the point of the house of review if they control both?

It will happen again next Gvt, and that will be very bad

Salazar

:( Hey! If you aren't coming to uni I can't run into you on the bus!

Well, I have no electricity at home for most of tomorrow. And maybe Thursday too. I really should go up.

But bleh, basically. Uni work is fine, am just trapped in tunnel of emotional dooooom otherwise.

Oh, I started usagi drop. First impressions: love the artstyle, already emotionally tied to the characters, tearjerking, nice to not have a character with breasts bigger than her head. Only con: opening theme music was kinda forgettable.

Yar. Is heartwarming stuff.

We have preferential voting here, so "it's a two party system" doesn't apply to us. Vote 1 for who you want, and 2 for whichever major you find least bad.

Sure, but unless you're voting for the big two or the Greens your vote is likely to just funnel back to Labor or Liberals through preferences anyway so while it's not a two party system in theory, it largely is in practice.

Choc

Banned
i think if TAs disapproval remains around 60% and gillards gets better, Liberals will get nervous and start to warm that knife

im talking months here though, he is a long way from booted, but clearly the AU public is speaking

Fredescu

Sure, but unless you're voting for the big two or the Greens your vote is likely to just funnel back to Labor or Liberals through preferences anyway so while it's not a two party system in theory, it largely is in practice.
You're never "throwing away your vote" by voting for a minor party or independent. That's a huge difference. Parties get money based on the number of 1 votes, so long as it's above a certain percentage. While your first preference might never get in, you're helping to strengthen them as an option. Voting 1 for a major when there's a minor you agree with more is actually "throwing away your vote" under our system, as it should be.

Yeah i like our system here. Just wish the major parties were more positive rather than bitching about each other all the time. I just vote for the one who will do the least damage in my mind.

You're never "throwing away your vote" by voting for a minor party or independent. That's a huge difference. Parties get money based on the number of 1 votes, so long as it's above a certain percentage. While your first preference might never get in, you're helping to strengthen them as an option. Voting 1 for a major when there's a minor you agree more with is actually "throwing away your vote" under our system, as it should be.

Oh, I know, I vote for minor parties all the time (actually, it's all I've done in the few times I've gone to elections since turning 18). I was saying I want people to get out of that mindset.

Maybe I just know an inordinate number of people ignorant to how our system works and it's better elsewhere, but I know plenty of people who look at it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom