• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Just throwing in my 2 cents: mobile touchscreen gaming is largely terrible. 99.9% of it is shit. To me it is a distraction when I am going from A to B, nothing more. Even then I'd rather just catch up on some websites or watch some Youtube vids.

Really don't get these people who cart around iPads and play games, or even people who spend hours and hours playing the same shitty thing. Same goes for those crappy Facebook games. Eh, what do I know.

<3

edit: ok, some Wii games I still need to get. Suggestions welcome people.

Pandora's Tower
Tenchu
Bit.Trip Complete
Battalion Wars
de Blob 2

Anything else? I've got like 60 games for the thing.

hamchan

The platform (ps2) was viable for that time though. Hell, it was viable until 2008, and arguably still is in emerging markets. With iOS systems, the platform is a moving target and older systems get left behind. That's fine if its a phone on a typical 2 year contract. It's less fine with a $600 system that *should* last several years before forced into obsolescence.

If I buy a PC now, top of the range, I should be able to play lots of games in 2018 or so assuming it still works and assuming there is no revelation in making Qbits manageable.
If I buy a Wii U or PS4 or XBox 3, I expect there to be games for it in 2018.
If I buy an iPad 3, I expect it will be phased out by 2015 at the latest and I'll be forced to buy an iPad 8 or 9. If I want one in 2018, it'll be up to revision 15.

Apple are putting Activision to shame here.

edit: some perspective here.
1. My main gaming system from 1988 until 1998 was an Amiga 500. 10 year plan, people.
2. Goldeneye 64 still looks good and plays perfectly well.
3. Consoles/phones/computers should not break within 5 years, let alone 1 or 2 as is becoming the norm.
4. Get the fuck off my lawn whippersnapper.

What do you want Apple to do, not increase their specs every year?

Deeku

I have to say, that even an hour into Xenoblade, that I think I'm really going to enjoy this. The voice acting is a bit hokey and the game looks rough after 70 hours of FFXIII, but the battle system is already great and the MUSIC so far is just amazing.
Switch to japanese voices!

Buy the soundtrack!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On a whim, I decided to check the list of NBN rollout sites on the NBN Co. website, and discovered something unexpected:

nbnaijy4.jpg

Can't wait for the day I can ditch ~7Mbit/384Kbit ADSL for 100Mbit/40Mbit FTTH.

midonnay

^^^^^^^ WA is so stupid. The electrical company Western power is putting many home's electrical systems underground. Would save so much money if they did fibre at the same time. (they did at first but sold the company)

any hype for kid icarus? >_>

I wished they would allow dual analogue controls..... fuck nintendo's hate for big hands.

Yagharek

any hype for kid icarus? >_>

I wished they would allow dual analogue controls..... fuck nintendo's hate for big hands.

I thought dual analog was in? Or was it that lefties could use the right analog instead?

edit: goodnight ausgaf, I forgot I need to be up at 5am tomorrow.

midonnay

yeah only for lefties I think...

lol, they are including a stand for the console to help tired hands.

Nintendo has really lost the plot.

Omikron

Please to be pming me a list of games to get for ma fone

I have been playing these lately:

Androminion (an android version of Dominion, the card game), has all the rules etc, but the interface is mostly pretty basic.

Pocket League Story - Cute football management game, if liked any of Game Dev/Formula 1 game from the same dev, prob like this as well.

Pocket League Story is still 50c too remember guys!

<3

edit: ok, some Wii games I still need to get. Suggestions welcome people.

Pandora's Tower
Tenchu
Bit.Trip Complete
Battalion Wars
de Blob 2

Anything else? I've got like 60 games for the thing.

The Last Story
Xenoblade
Red Steel 2
Fatal Frame II: Deep Crimson Butterfly (later on this year)

The platform (ps2) was viable for that time though. Hell, it was viable until 2008, and arguably still is in emerging markets. With iOS systems, the platform is a moving target and older systems get left behind. That's fine if its a phone on a typical 2 year contract. It's less fine with a $600 system that *should* last several years before forced into obsolescence.

If I buy a PC now, top of the range, I should be able to play lots of games in 2018 or so assuming it still works and assuming there is no revelation in making Qbits manageable.
If I buy a Wii U or PS4 or XBox 3, I expect there to be games for it in 2018.
If I buy an iPad 3, I expect it will be phased out by 2015 at the latest and I'll be forced to buy an iPad 8 or 9. If I want one in 2018, it'll be up to revision 15.

Apple are putting Activision to shame here.

edit: some perspective here.
1. My main gaming system from 1988 until 1998 was an Amiga 500. 10 year plan, people.
2. Goldeneye 64 still looks good and plays perfectly well.
3. Consoles/phones/computers should not break within 5 years, let alone 1 or 2 as is becoming the norm.
4. Get the fuck off my lawn whippersnapper.
Dito for points 2 3 and 4. I never had the inteenet speeds or data for hq videos nor did I have a powerful pc so for years after I still did most of my gaming on a 64 and gameboy. I am not one of you psychos who need and only want 4000000 peas. Though I can afford to now I probably should stop looking at garbage. That has conditioned me to not care though. Is it fun? Does it run? Good ill buy it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
^^^^^^^ WA is so stupid. The electrical company Western power is putting many home's electrical systems underground. Would save so much money if they did fibre at the same time. (they did at first but sold the company)

I believe they did this in Mandurah. I distinctly recall seeing last year (or was it 2010?) a large telecommunication cable reel when driving through the place while WP were well into the process of moving the city's power underground.

hamchan

Dito for points 2 3 and 4. I never had the inteenet speeds or data for hq videos nor did I have a powerful pc so for years after I still did most of my gaming on a 64 and gameboy. I am not one of you psychos who need and only want 4000000 peas. Though I can afford to now I probably should stop looking at garbage. That has conditioned me to not care though. Is it fun? Does it run? Good ill buy it.

Meanwhile I think it's a great thing when technology advances quickly. I actually want to live forever to see how much technology changes. Especially the day Skynet is made, I want to see it.

Choc

Banned
Enforce legacy support. Make it mandatory.

vince, its not the hardware that restricts the games etc its the software. the operating system

for example

GTA3 only runs on IOS5

IOS5 only runs on 3GS, 4 and 4s

the 3GS is 3 years old, thats kinda pretty good tbh.

So its not the hardware, its the OS and apple seems to be supporting 3 years back

you want to know a clusterfuck of a system vince? android tablets

depending on what tab you have depends on whether you can install an app from the market. An ACER android tab cant install something ive used during work but the galaxy tab can

its crazy, its fucking crazy how diluted Android is

midonnay

they laid fibre at my parents home too when they did the powerlines about 5+ years ago...

as far as I know the fibre is still there but its owned by a private company >_>

homeowners paid thousands of dollars in the rates for it too (I think the government, western power and the homeowner split the costs.)

You're a legend, legend. Good luck.

Switch to japanese voices!

Buy the soundtrack!!
But I don't understand Japanese, so it limits my ability to tell how bad the acting is. Plus, it's refreshing to have protagonists who don't sound like they're from Iowa. Where can this soundtrack be found for sale?

RE: Kid Icarus. Not all that hyped because the game seems like a mess, but the gameplay vids do remind me a little of the flying modes in Nano Assault. So I'm torn.

Playing The World Ends With You right now, so I can wait a while. Everything about the game, from the story, the characters, the battle system to the music is inconsistent. When it gets things wrong, it's so damn wrong but when it gets things right, it gets them so damn right. "Calling" is good enough to be a commercial single.

Omikron

depending on what tab you have depends on whether you can install an app from the market. An ACER android tab cant install something ive used during work but the galaxy tab can

I guess you would now :)

What does this mean?

Also what is an ACER?

What I mean is I sent a message to that girl ._.
Nice work! Now the fun part. Hope you don't have to wait too long for your reply, would be a long night.

EDIT:
But I don't understand Japanese, so it limits my ability to tell how bad the acting is. Plus, it's refreshing to have protagonists who don't sound like they're from Iowa. Where can this soundtrack be found for sale?.
PlayAsia has it in stock for $47

Choc

Banned
diluted means that there is a billion variants of the same thing and so you have issues with compatibility and all sorts of things

IOS does not have this problem

ACER is a brand?

I would agree with Choc about the Android Market. There are too many OS versions, too many hardware differentiations (resolution, specs, etc) not to mention most everything comes out on iOS first. Add that to the fact that many Android users are used to not paying for software whereas their iOS counterparts have no problem shelling out money and I know what platform I'd develop for if I was looking to make money.

Just throwing in my 2 cents: mobile touchscreen gaming is largely terrible. 99.9% of it is shit. To me it is a distraction when I am going from A to B, nothing more. Even then I'd rather just catch up on some websites or watch some Youtube vids.

Really don't get these people who cart around iPads and play games, or even people who spend hours and hours playing the same shitty thing. Same goes for those crappy Facebook games. Eh, what do I know.

if i am on the train i would rather listen to the radio or podcasts. i played my dsi on it for a bit but thats just stupid. touchscreens on trains are silly. i felt like i was going to stab it. id be more ok with playing something like retro game challenge that is just dpad and face. id be even better with playing a vita as it looks solid and not like i will break it but im sure the same thing will happen and after a while when i get more lazy and rush and dont get seats and it gets crazy hot i would rather just sit or stand there and try not to die on the way home. id rather be stationary for any gaming. something about the screen moving that i dont like.

diluted means that there is a billion variants of the same thing and so you have issues with compatibility and all sorts of things

Ah of course. Well, buyer beware. Do some research and buy the good one that people will support. I bought my Galaxy S2 because of all the chatter about how great it is for games and apps. Haven't had any problems at all with any content so far. Only issue was that I dropped it yesterday and it froze on me and I had to restart it, worked fine afterwards.

My main issue is all this hardware is now designed to fall apart after 2 years. If there is one thing Facebook has taught me is that iPhones and Macbooks break down a lot more often than people I know expect. Sounds like the same thing with Android and Windows phones going by some of the chatter here as well. Build that shit to last please, already wary about grabbing the next Xbox because of this generations problems. At least with a PC we can choose the cheap brands that have great build quality to avoid failing hardware as much as humanly possible.

Catalog number DERP 10008. Heh. That's pretty exy.

The fun part? If I actually have to go out on the date it will be terrifying.
When you find yourself in that situation, always remember that she already likes you enough to go out with you. Just remember to always have a backup plan - if the night markets are closed because of rain, take her to that quiet little bar that does the nice tapas. If you screwed up the dates for the gig, take her dancing. It's your world, boss, she's just living in it.

@reptilescorpio: You realise that's almost as much as you paid for the game itself?:/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm a wreck. Not watching Requiem for a Dream again in a hurry. :(

Well, I'm a wreck. Not watching Requiem for a Dream again in a hurry. :(
Indeed. I did like, even though it was not a comfortable film to watch.

I think that's what makes it good, isn't it? Something that affects you, that leaves a mark after your watched/heard/looked at it. There's not a lot of film/books/art (film especially, personally) that leaves a part of itself with you after it's gone. I've read a lot and watched a lot in my life, memories of most which fade with the passage of time. Requiem for a Dream was not one of those.

Fuck me. I just went into the garage and found my new kitten playing with a funnel web spider. I tried to get him away, but he picked it up in his mouth and walked off with it. He ended up dropping it and now i have it trapped in a container.

Cats are supposedly immune to their bites, but i'm still worried he'll get sick or something.

Kritz

Banned
That's enough Mass Effect for tonight. Should be able to finish it tomorrow.

Man, the plot gets real weird in this game.
SUPER SPOILERS DO NOT HIGHLIGHT TIL 2020:
You go into the geth matrix as a virtulised version of yourself and you shoot code off of archives. It's a mix between the Saint's Row 3 decker's die mission and, um, well that's about it. It's both the stupidest fucking thing ever, and the most amazingly... stupid thing ever. I was absolutely engaged the entire time, but holy fuck was that just... stupid. I can't even think of a synonym for it!

Oh, yeah, and then I turret sequenced a reaper. Funny that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, don't get me wrong. I was really moved by the movie, I'm glad I watched it. I just WAS NOT prepared, memtally, to be beaten over the head repeatedly by raw human misery.

Everything involving the mother was just gut-wrenching. Even very early on, talking about her son, eating the chocolate, giving it up, getting the call, getting the mail, her husband, the DRESS, how her husband looked at her in it, when she wore it and what that represented for her ... I was already in a state during all of that. I'm not sure whether some of it was meant to be funny, but I wasn't laughing.

Edit: also, hey, who'd have thunk it, Clint Mansell writes ridiculously good scores.

Yoshiya

Yeah I found some of it funny. The fridge for example.

Funny? Perhaps I was just jumpy because it was 3am and I was alone, but the fridge really got to me for some reason. I was terrified too, there's something particularly unsettling about environment - home - as an aggressor.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I was really moved by the movie, I'm glad I watched it. I just WAS NOT prepared, memtally, to be beaten over the head repeatedly by raw human misery.

Everything involving the mother was just gut-wrenching. Even very early on, talking about her son, eating the chocolate, giving it up, getting the call, getting the mail, her husband, the DRESS, how her husband looked at her in it, when she wore it and what that represented for her ... I was already in a state during all of that. I'm not sure whether some of it was meant to be funny, but I wasn't laughing.

Edit: also, hey, who'd have thunk it, Clint Mansell writes ridiculously good scores.

Yeah, it was pretty depressing that way. :( It took me a long time to figure out if I liked the movie because of the mother in particular. It was way too realistically sad to be funny for me.

The piece he did for requiem is one of my favourite scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom