• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I think I'm on final approach for ME3. So far it has maintained my initial thoughts of being immensely awesome and simultaneously immensely stupid.

markot

Banned
Fuck me. I just went into the garage and found my new kitten playing with a funnel web spider. I tried to get him away, but he picked it up in his mouth and walked off with it. He ended up dropping it and now i have it trapped in a container.

Cats are supposedly immune to their bites, but i'm still worried he'll get sick or something.

Just keep an eye on the cat. Also burn the garage down >.<

Shaneus

RIP Ian Turpie

http://abc.com.au/news/2012-03-11/ian-turpie-dies-at-age-68/3882506

site_45_rand_1134396666_kieth.jpg
I only heard this on the way back from the festival at around 10:30pm. Very, very sad news :(

Also, I absolutely loved this:
1t9bA.png

Jintor

I am up at 3:40am having just finished Mass Effect 3
and I am left with the disquieting feeling that it was not worth it

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
No empathy for the fuckers in Requiem, they all deserve it.

Nonononononononono

I somewhat agree with fappen. It's still a hard movie to watch though.

For me it was an eye opener since I had watched it while I was a bum playing WoW 24/7. It was the little lightbulb that went off in my head and said, oh shit this is totally an addiction what the hell have I been doing for so long. And slowly I was about to move away from it and score a job.

Now I just need to find a better job and find goals. Haha, That's never going to happen.

also, hey, who'd have thunk it, Clint Mansell writes ridiculously good scores.
Has been for nearly 15 years now. Plus he was a damn good musician before that in Pop Will Eat Itself. Did some work with NIN on The Fragile too which you can hear in certain sections other than those he is credited.
His score work has been incredible though, probably my favourite composer working today and can hold his own with the likes of Zimmer.
Track from The Fountain. You have probably all heard the LOTR remake of Lux Aeterna. He has done all of Aronofsky's movies like The Wrestler, Pi and Black Swan.

I think I'm on final approach for ME3. So far it has maintained my initial thoughts of being immensely awesome and simultaneously immensely stupid.
Same here. Not sure if I will play any more today, kinda burnt out on the formula and already stuffed too much information into my tiny brain, every conversation just leaks goodies out now which sucks because I have been really savouring the developed story.

Dawn of the First Day.
No response.
Maybe she doesn't check her Facebook very often. The harshness of email timespans.

I somewhat agree with fappen. It's still a hard movie to watch though.

For me it was an eye opener since I had watched it while I was a bum playing WoW 24/7. It was the little lightbulb that went off in my head and said, oh shit this is totally an addiction what the hell have I been doing for so long. And slowly I was about to move away from it and score a job.

Now I just need to find a better job and find goals. Haha, That's never going to happen.
Seven Pounds was a movie that made me want to make the most of life, well my Grandfather passing away was the main catalyst I suppose. Life is short and best we have some fun before it is too late.

No empathy for the fuckers in Requiem, they all deserve it.
Wow. I'm hoping this statement was said just for the hilarity of being 'internet bastard.'

I thought they did a job job of showing 4 different people using drugs and finally succumbing to substance abuse. Each one was a story that doesn't usually get used as the stereotypical drug addict story or end in the typical fashion. Each one had a different reason, each with good intentions at the heart. Drugs are often used for forgetting that past, for not having to deal with the present, for those that can't see a future for themselves or don't like what they see if they can.

The character that I feel the least sympathy for is Harry. His existence and ultimate end was entirely of his own doing and seemed to drag the rest of the characters with him. The rest of the cast seemed to be making poor decisions based upon misguided good intentions and trying to better themselves and rid their past of demons. I'm not saying that I agree with the actions of the characters but I can understand how they arrived at those decisions.

For reasons that I shan't get into on a forum, my personal experience is that very few people "get what they deserve" when drugs are involved; the punishment for said substance abuse is usually met upon those that love them and those whose lives with which they intersect.

More good people than bad become addicts. They often then become that which you would no longer have sympathy for and would consider 'just punishment.' It's hard to make that separation, though, of what you once knew and that which they have become.

Not only is it homophobic, it's also just bizarre. It's such a negative, end of the world, attack ad and it's such a minor issue.

Gay marriage hasn't been raised at all this election campaign. In fact I'm pretty sure the civil unions thing is dead and buried too now that it's come into effect and people have used it (could be wrong, but didn't the LNP say it would only repeal it if no one used it?)

I think the KAP have really misread the electorate here. Queensland can be pretty conservative, but they'll never get Brisbane seats with this attitude, and at best they'll just split the conservative vote in some rural seats. I think they'll get a couple of super right leaning seats, maybe Nanango and one or two up north and maybe Beaudesert where McLindon is the sitting member (maybe) but that'll be it.

midonnay

the gina rinehart v child court case has been pretty twisty >_>

started off with a "oh greedy spoilt children ...haven't worked a day in their lives" type headlines

now it turns out that the trust owns 25 percent of the Hancock company and Gina is trying to force her children to cede control of the entity til 2067(?) even though they're of age.

No wonder she didn't want the details made public.

I guess the moral of the story is never trust family with legal matters (trust was setup by Lang to benefit the grandchildren)

Wow. I'm hoping this statement was said just for the hilarity of being 'internet bastard.'

I thought they did a job job of showing 4 different people using drugs and finally succumbing to substance abuse. Each one was a story that doesn't usually get used as the stereotypical drug addict story or end in the typical fashion. Each one had a different reason, each with good intentions at the heart. Drugs are often used for forgetting that past, for not having to deal with the present, for those that can't see a future for themselves or don't like what they see if they can.

The character that I feel the least sympathy for is Harry. His existence and ultimate end was entirely of his own doing and seemed to drag the rest of the characters with him. The rest of the cast seemed to be making poor decisions based upon misguided good intentions and trying to better themselves and rid their past of demons. I'm not saying that I agree with the actions of the characters but I can understand how they arrived at those decisions.

For reasons that I shan't get into on a forum, my personal experience is that very few people "get what they deserve" when drugs are involved; the punishment for said substance abuse is usually met upon those that love them and those whose lives with which they intersect.

More good people than bad become addicts. They often then become that which you would no longer have sympathy for and would consider 'just punishment.' It's hard to make that separation, though, of what you once knew and that which they have become.

Not internet bastard, I legitimately believed it then, and I still feel the same way now. It did portray them quite well, but except for the old lady in which I did feel maybe slight remorse for, I really hated the characters. You'll admit that even though you disagree with my point of view, it is a good film because it does tend to divide the audience and bring out discussions.

started off with a "oh greedy spoilt children ...haven't worked a day in their lives" type headlines

now it turns out that the trust owns 25 percent of the Hancock company and Gina is trying to force her children to cede control of the entity til 2067(?) even though they're of age.

I guess the moral of the story is never trust family with legal matters (trust was setup by Lang to benefit the grandchildren)

Indeed dude, felt kind of bad for bagging them out at first. She is a wicked, manipulative mastermind.

Yagharek

It's not like she's a self made billionaire either/

Just found out about the Katter ad. WTF. This isn't the US. Not even Today Tonight or One Nation have ever stooped this low. Hell, even Family First, who are about the only party opposed to gay marriage for more than just electoral reasons, have more class than this.

Plus it is both confusing and ideologically non sensical. What are they even trying to say?

I've said it before, I'll say it again: if there is ever a fascist movement in this country, it'll be someone like Bob Katter who will lead it.

Not internet bastard, I legitimately believed it then, and I still feel the same way now. It did portray them quite well, but except for the old lady in which I did feel maybe slight remorse for, I really hated the characters. You'll admit that even though you disagree with my point of view, it is a good film because it does tend to divide the audience and bring out discussions.
It's why it's a good film, that we can agree on.

I don't think anyone got what they deserved nor what they were hoping for. Drugs distort the world and alter your perception and interaction with it. After enough use, the person that remain has barely any resemblance to the person that you knew. While it could be fair to say that the person that remains should reap what they have sewn it only affects the people around them and ultimately the person that you knew.

I'm sorry to say that I can't agree with the view that anyone gets what they deserved, or at the very least, there are few people who deserve it.

Just to be clear, though, I'm not having a go at you. My experience has given my a view on that movie that some people, I hope, that most people have never had. When it comes down to it, the strength of the film is that I don't believe it speaks with too much of a voice, which allows the experience to be filtered through your own life.

<3

edit: ok, some Wii games I still need to get. Suggestions welcome people.

Pandora's Tower
Tenchu
Bit.Trip Complete
Battalion Wars
de Blob 2

Anything else? I've got like 60 games for the thing.

If you step me through the community games thing I can put Battalion Wars up, also have you got Little Kings Story?

It's pretty good

Fredescu

So I have jury duty tomorrow, has anyone from AusGAF had to do it, and what should I expect?
I turned up on day one once, but I had annual leave booked in for when the case was expected to run, so I got out of it based on that. I wouldn't have minded if I had to do it, but there seemed to be a lot more people there than required, so I guess you have to get a bit lucky to be selected.

Danoss

So I have jury duty tomorrow, has anyone from AusGAF had to do it, and what should I expect?

I did it for just shy of 12 months. Big case. If yours is just a regular case, expect plenty of waiting around, so bring something to read.

There are ways out of it, but they'll only give you a 3 month reprieve before you're called again. If you stick it out and aren't selected, you're off the list for 12 months.

If you don't want to be selected, dress up nice e.g. shirt and tie and look intelligent. If you don't mind, dress heaps casual e.g. shorts, joggers and t-shirt and look like you have rocks in your head.

Barristers want minds that they can shape, not ones that are capable of reaching their own conclusions.

It's an experience I think everyone should have. If its a short case, you'll really enjoy it, it's interesting and worth participating in. You get to see how our legal system works in finer detail. Most judges are cool too and make it a bit more fun for jurors. The staff looking after you will be cool too. Have fun man.

I did it for just shy of 12 months. Big case. If yours is just a regular case, expect plenty of waiting around, so bring something to read.

There are ways out of it, but they'll only give you a 3 month reprieve before you're called again. If you stick it out and aren't selected, you're off the list for 12 months.

If you don't want to be selected, dress up nice e.g. shirt and tie and look intelligent. If you don't mind, dress heaps casual e.g. shorts, joggers and t-shirt and look like you have rocks in your head.

Barristers want minds that they can shape, not ones that are capable of reaching their own conclusions.

It's an experience I think everyone should have. If its a short case, you'll really enjoy it, it's interesting and worth participating in. You get to see how our legal system works in finer detail. Most judges are cool too and make it a bit more fun for jurors. The staff looking after you will be cool too. Have fun man.

Awesome, sounds good. Looks like I'll be wearing a shirt and jeans then, I'm actually interested in doing it. Cheers.

Jintor

:<

They might also challenge you if you wear a shirt and jeans, depending on their case. I think it's a crapshoot and there's no way to determine which lawyers will choose which types of jurors.

Clipper

When I got called for jury duty, I actually wanted to do it, especially when they said on the day that the expected trial length had been shortened to 3 weeks (was expected to be 12 weeks in the original letter). However, after sitting around in the preparation room and watching the mildly patronising video of what to do during duty, they said the case that was meant to be done in my room couldn't begin and we could all go home.

I was a bit disappointed, as it meant I wasn't able to even get a chance to be selected, but I did get to have a bit of a schadenfreude-driven giggle at the people that were trying their hardest to get out of it while they were doing name call :p. They'd all be coming back in a few weeks even though they'd have actually gotten out of it by shutting up.

Really?

*tugs collar nervously*

I did it last year, what do you want to know?

Really? Huh. I thought there was a kind of unwritten rule that journos didn't do it. Like teachers and doctors, I assumed for different reasons though. Regardless, rad. I still want to do it one day

Jintor

Really? Huh. I thought there was a kind of unwritten rule that journos didn't do it. Like teachers and doctors, I assumed for different reasons though. Regardless, rad. I still want to do it one day

Off the top of my head, the only professions that are barred are legal professionals (though there are other things - relation to the case, for instance)

Danoss

:<

They might also challenge you if you wear a shirt and jeans, depending on their case. I think it's a crapshoot and there's no way to determine which lawyers will choose which types of jurors.

I was given this advice by court assistants who had been there for years. I got picked wearing shorts, joggers and sporting long hair. No one batted an eyelid.

I can't think of a single case where dressing up and presenting intelligence would be of worth to a barrister.

Choc

Banned
I was given this advice by court assistants who had been there for years. I got picked wearing shorts, joggers and sporting long hair. No one batted an eyelid.

I can't think of a single case where dressing up and presenting intelligence would be of worth to a barrister.

Embezzlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom