• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

The only reason people claim the mobile gaming will take over the world is because of pricing. Why buy a $60 game when I can buy this $2 game and get as many hours of fun out of it. That's the major justification for it and if Apple want to be taken seriously in taking over the handheld space then they need controls. The chances of that happening are slim though since they hate moving parts.

I agree with your argument: people claim that pricing is cheap. It's not though - it is a silly argument.

Console = $199 - $349 (handheld) or $399 - $999 (console) at launch. (Min-Max range)
Buy one once per 5 years (unless its Microsoft making them).

iPad = $400 - $800, buy once every 2 years or 12 months going by people at work who have bought one. And you have to, because new apps stop being made for the old models.

iOS gaming is more expensive.

hamchan

I agree with your argument: people claim that pricing is cheap. It's not though - it is a silly argument.

Console = $199 - $349 (handheld) or $399 - $999 (console) at launch. (Min-Max range)

iPad = $400 - $800, buy once every 2 years or 12 months going by people at work who have bought one. And you have to, because new apps stop being made for the old models.

This is assuming people only buy iOS devices for gaming?

Yagharek

This is assuming people only buy iOS devices for gaming?

No, its assuming you buy one on the basis of its gaming capabilities (edit) and maintaining it as an active, viable platform for gaming (/edit)- in which case its a frequent update cycle with a higher price of entry than any other medium including PC upgrades.

Gazunta

Developers make games for platforms that

A) they're told to develop for by publishers, or
B) offer the best ratio of active users to development costs, or
C) have the least amount of barriers between them and getting a game out

It very rarely has anything to do with what has sexy new tech or the latest graphics shaders or whatever.

And people bitched and moaned when Just Cause 2 didn't support dx9. HOW OLD ARE YOUR CARDS PEOPLE!?!

Mobile gaming is okay. Independant games are the future, more games will release on the PC over the next 5 years unless the big guys loosen up on costs.

It very rarely has anything to do with what has sexy new tech or the latest graphics shaders or whatever.
And publishers appear to make decisions for A based on what the CEO reads in the tech section of the paper.

I never thought of it like that. Fuck ios fanboys. Im not sure iv seen a game that wants anything higher than dx9. Its an option but not required. Then again I dont buy the new aaa titles. None of the big games really interest me and at this point everything is a sequal and I cbf getting into a franchise this late in the game.
No pun intended.

Ps kritz throw the bot up.

Kritz

Banned
The carlsberg I have is good enough for some Mass Effect and Steam Chat.

bLfAel.jpg

Gazunta

And publishers appear to make decisions for A based on what the CEO reads in the tech section of the paper.

You have no idea
how right you are

iOS, Steam, Browser, crowd source funding, etc...it's all adding up to one thing: the removal of gatekeepers between content creator and content consumer. This leads to more games, different games, different price points, different delivery methods and play types and the expanding of what games ARE. I think that's a good thing.

I also think anyone saying games on a particular type of system (touch control, motion control, classic controller control, what have you) aren't REAL games run the very real risk if sounding like a dinosaur.

Yagharek

The Wii shoots down point B.

Plenty of active users for the first two years. No support from major publishers. Only it took 4-5 years before sales started dwindling because of the lack of support from all but 3 major publishers.

Publishers need to be more reactive. Otherwise we will see them, time and time again, be blindsided by bottled lightning like Wii or DS (another platform with trivial support from Western publishers). Pubs cant rely on safe bets like PS2 again - they need to be able to change course quickly and smoothly when it becomes clear where the market is.

Kinect is currently undergoing to a lesser extent what Wii did - huge public interest, high sales, and not a single game from EA/Activision/Ubisoft/THQ/Take 2/Capcom/Sega/Konami/Square-Enix etc worth giving a flying fuck about. Within another year, customers at large will catch on, and kinect dust collectors anonymous will become louder.

Kritz

Banned
you need a specific day to drink like the irish?

EDIT: My father is a manager at one of the local bottleshop chains, so we get glasses and shit for free all the time. Store probably got them early?

Gazunta

Very frustrating not being able to argue the facts when the other person has no facts to go on except the other person going JUST TRUST ME YOU'RE WRONG. :)

The Wii shoots down point B.

Plenty of active users for the first two years. No support from major publishers. Only it took 4-5 years before sales started dwindling because of the lack of support from all but 3 major publishers.

Publishers need to be more reactive. Otherwise we will see them, time and time again, be blindsided by bottled lightning like Wii or DS (another platform with trivial support from Western publishers). Pubs cant rely on safe bets like PS2 again - they need to be able to change course quickly and smoothly when it becomes clear where the market is.

Kinect is currently undergoing to a lesser extent what Wii did - huge public interest, high sales, and not a single game from EA/Activision/Ubisoft/THQ/Take 2/Capcom/Sega/Konami/Square-Enix etc worth giving a flying fuck about. Within another year, customers at large will catch on, and kinect dust collectors anonymous will become louder.
Have you not seen that horse game. That was made by one of those people. But really after thinking about it for the first time you are right. People dont want games to buy a console they want something new and non traditional that frankly sucks for the most part. I think I still have had more fun on my wii that I did on ps3 same as dsi even though I dont own that many games for each. If the 3ds launch was 6 months later and pokemon white and black was a 3ds title that would have been a complete different story. I dont think this is the last of the handhelds, I just think people need to pull their head out of the ground and stop only making ports for it

Yagharek

Very frustrating not being able to argue the facts when the other person has no facts to go on except the other person going JUST TRUST ME YOU'RE WRONG. :)

I saw your post pre-edit, and I may have misrepresented my argument, because I wouldn't argue against what you said even if it were a hypothesis instead of facts.

Point being, publishers publicly say things that suggest "only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems" and the gaming press and self-appointed hardcore gamers parrot the same spiel.

I'm more angry that despite all those sales, most games from major publishers were slops. Showed a complete disrespect to a large audience, bafflingly, instead of pandering to it. It should have had its own GTA FFS, built on the PS2 era engines. It should have had RE5 Superior Edition.

At least Konami gave it PES Playmaker and Activision made some good ground with Goldeneye and CoD.

Have you not seen that horse game. That was made by one of those people. But really after thinking about it for the first time you are right. People dont want games to buy a console they want something new and non traditional that frankly sucks for the most part. I think I still have had more fun on my wii that I did on ps3 same as dsi even though I dont own that many games for each. If the 3ds launch was 6 months later and pokemon white and black was a 3ds title that would have been a complete different story. I dont think this is the last of the handhelds, I just think people need to pull their head out of the ground and stop only making ports for it

If the gaming media and publishers didnt berate anything and everything that tries to do something different (eg Wii, DS, kinect) and demand UE3 shooters and open world sandbox games ad infinitum, then there would be room enough for a dozen platforms.

Instead, "hardcore" gaming becomes self-limiting because everything looks the same (I couldnt tell you the difference between brink, bulletstorm, borderlands, inversion or most games out last year) and thus owning multiple systems becomes redundant. Anyone who owns a ps3 or 360 doesnt need the other. By contrast, a wii or ds or phone tends to have a bit more variety. Not to mention steam and GoG, which each cater to various niches as well as popular titles.

Why are you talking to Bob Katter supporters?

If there is ever a fascist movement in this country, someone like Bob Katter would be its leader.

you need a specific day to drink like the irish??
Mainly concerned because those glasses have been around for the last few weeks and Gaz had some tweeting about a St Patricks Day parade with people in green shirts so I was concerned I had missed it.

I'm more angry that despite all those sales, most games from major publishers were slops. Showed a complete disrespect to a large audience, bafflingly, instead of pandering to it. It should have had its own GTA FFS, built on the PS2 era engines. It should have had RE5 Superior Edition.

Anyone who owns a ps3 or 360 doesn't need the other.
The Wii had the best jRPG's available on consoles, even if they didn't arrive until the end of days.

Also exclusives have been harder to buy this generation, with most only being timed. Still, if you don't own a PS3 you cannot experience Uncharted, Wipeout or Heavy Rain. All of which I would argue don't have replacements on other systems (why my F Zero at Nintendo?!?).

Yagharek

Uncharted, Wipeout or Heavy Rain.

Disaster: Day of Crisis is a decent substitution for Uncharted. In a 'so bad its good' kind of way.

Wipeout I wont argue with, but at the same time any old wipeout or any old fzero will do. Doesnt have to be within 5 years.

Heavy rain isnt worth replicating.

I saw your post pre-edit, and I may have misrepresented my argument, because I wouldn't argue against what you said even if it were a hypothesis instead of facts.

Point being, publishers publicly say things that suggest "only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems" and the gaming press and self-appointed hardcore gamers parrot the same spiel.

At least Konami gave it PES Playmaker and Activision made some good ground with Goldeneye and CoD.

If the gaming media and publishers didnt berate anything and everything that tries to do something different (eg Wii, DS, kinect) and demand UE3 shooters and open world sandbox games ad infinitum, then there would be room enough for a dozen platforms.

Instead, "hardcore" gaming becomes self-limiting because everything looks the same (I couldnt tell you the difference between brink, bulletstorm, borderlands, inversion or most games out last year) and thus owning multiple systems becomes redundant. Anyone who owns a ps3 or 360 doesnt need the other. By contrast, a wii or ds or phone tends to have a bit more variety. Not to mention steam and GoG, which each cater to various niches as well as popular titles.
Brink was poo that didnt work and was not fun. Multiplayer at lease. Borderlands was fun that could have benifited from being more fleshed out and bulletstorm was a rude game that made you do trick shots. I agree with the 1 console thing. For me it was a choice between free online or a larger selection of dl games which I would spend to much money on. As a pc person paying for online seemed crazy

Do people play on phones and tablets for long experiences? I know I only use my phone for 2 minute games to kill time. That said I've never been into portable gaming so I might just be weird.

Ah forgot to pimp Cursive's Domestica as an album that those with a recently broken heart should grab. So damn good. Their new album is okay, eh.

Disaster: Day of Crisis is a decent substitution for Uncharted. In a 'so bad its good' kind of way.

Wipeout I wont argue with, but at the same time any old wipeout or any old fzero will do. Doesnt have to be within 5 years.

Heavy rain isnt worth replicating.

I was sure you were one of the David Cage fanboys, not sure who I am confusing that with.

Wipeout HD is pure sex for the eyes. For you to say that any old one will do is astounding. I suck donkeyballs at the racing but mother of god, booting it up for the first time after buying it and downloading it in one swift motion on my TV certainly was a next-gen moment for me. Made my 50 inch Plasma weep with joy.

Choc

Banned

ios gaming isnt more expensive because the device you can use does more than game

and the thing is the 3GS (almost 3 years later) runs most games just as well

there will be an upgrade time of course.

I am totally convinced by IOS gaming, seriously. Today, my wife and i played draw something for 4 hours whilst i was putting together some ikea flat pack stuff

my wife doesn't generally like games but loves the shit out of IOS stuff. It brings new people to the table, that's the thing

and if you already have a tablet for other reasons the gaming on top is just a thing. Most people who play games on IOS devices wouldn't call themselves gamers (due to societys bullshit stereotypes)

thats the difference.

Drawsome is amazing, You install it and within 3 minutes if yo uboth have email you are playing pictionary together, in the same room, house, suburb or even seperate countries, its crazy

the game is $1. I just couldn't see this experience necessarily that possible on 3DS and VITA as easily as it is with these devices.

If the game was $40, it would be a ton less popular than it is

Price matters.

Publishers are definately not helping themselves WHATSOEVER by releasing 3DS games on IOS at $5 a pop instead of $50

most of it is nintendos licencing cost, but still.

The ipad 1 will generally run most games in the next 12 months well. To have to upgrade every 12 months is incorrect.

Also aside from a few of us, who the fuck can claim vitas etc as tax deductions? Yep most of you cannot

Ipads, different kettle of fish. Not the full price of course, but if you use 25% for work, bam 25% dedution.

Thats a big thing. You can also get ipads via salary sacrifice schemes.

Do people play on phones and tablets for long experiences? I know I only use my phone for 2 minute games to kill time. That said I've never been into portable gaming so I might just be weird.

Me too. That said, sometimes I have to kill a lot of time in those cases I spend a fair bit of time on my phone :p

I have to say, that even an hour into Xenoblade, that I think I'm really going to enjoy this. The voice acting is a bit hokey and the game looks rough after 70 hours of FFXIII, but the battle system is already great and the MUSIC so far is just amazing.

The Wii really needed a game like this back in '08. As it stands, me, a few GAFers and two other people are ever going to play this.

Jintor

It's a great pity too.

I really have to go back and finish it. I'm like... I honestly don't know how many hours in. I gave it up for Skyward Sword, which I also haven't finished :|

midonnay

ios gaming is cheap if you consider that the hardware are multi-use devices.

ie: most people buy it for work or reading books etc already....gaming is an added bonus.

Thats why Nintendo is spooked.

Wiiu wtf?

hamchan

I have to say, that even an hour into Xenoblade, that I think I'm really going to enjoy this. The voice acting is a bit hokey and the game looks rough after 70 hours of FFXIII, but the battle system is already great and the MUSIC so far is just amazing.

The Wii really needed a game like this back in '08. As it stands, me, a few GAFers and two other people are ever going to play this.

I wouldn't worry about that. The game has been downloaded nearly 1 million times on torrents.

I prefer handhelds and hate games on my phone and never play them. Id rather play the pc flash version. phone is for calling people and internet.

I guess Gaz just likes boring things :T

ooh that wasn't directed at anyone in particular, i have nfi what games he likes. but yeah i don't play games to talk to imaginary people, can do that quite well on my own.

i'm a fan of portables but i'd rather play something like etrian odyssey than anything i've tried off the android market so far. Plus it chews up the battery quicker. My non-gamer friends all have way more games on their phones than i do.

What is wrong with the Android market? Picked up quite a lot of games on it.

You still have The Last Story to look forward to as well! A great sunset for the Wii.

Yagharek

ios gaming isnt more expensive because the device you can use does more than game

and the thing is the 3GS (almost 3 years later) runs most games just as well

there will be an upgrade time of course.

I am totally convinced by IOS gaming, seriously. Today, my wife and i played draw something for 4 hours whilst i was putting together some ikea flat pack stuff

my wife doesn't generally like games but loves the shit out of IOS stuff. It brings new people to the table, that's the thing

and if you already have a tablet for other reasons the gaming on top is just a thing. Most people who play games on IOS devices wouldn't call themselves gamers (due to societys bullshit stereotypes)

thats the difference.

Drawsome is amazing, You install it and within 3 minutes if yo uboth have email you are playing pictionary together, in the same room, house, suburb or even seperate countries, its crazy

the game is $1. I just couldn't see this experience necessarily that possible on 3DS and VITA as easily as it is with these devices.

If the game was $40, it would be a ton less popular than it is

Price matters.

Publishers are definately not helping themselves WHATSOEVER by releasing 3DS games on IOS at $5 a pop instead of $50

most of it is nintendos licencing cost, but still.

The ipad 1 will generally run most games in the next 12 months well. To have to upgrade every 12 months is incorrect.

Also aside from a few of us, who the fuck can claim vitas etc as tax deductions? Yep most of you cannot

Ipads, different kettle of fish. Not the full price of course, but if you use 25% for work, bam 25% dedution.

Thats a big thing. You can also get ipads via salary sacrifice schemes.

But choc the upgrade lifecycle is far shorter for ipads than it is for consoles. You didnt see 4 upgraded PS2s in the 2000-06 era. You saw one unified platform and 150 million units sold. Same goes for DS - they didnt change the hardware even with DSi, they just expanded it a little.

iPads arent cheap. But already theyre on the third, and sooner or later they run the risk of people holding off for the inevitable next revision in 6 months time.

$999 for a PS3 was exorbitant. $600 or whatever it is for an iPad, then the same again for its sequel 8 months later is insane.

hamchan

I haven't seen anyone on public transport with a 3DS or a Vita. I know I'd rather bring my phone with me than a device that can only do gaming. I didn't buy my iPhone or iPad to play games on it but since it can, for cheap, then that's an added functionality I now use.

Choc

Banned
its been 12 months since the ipad 2....

i dotn think apple is going to release more than 1 a year, they dont need to and its one reason they are as successful as they are.

Nokia etc flood the market so people wait it out, people know with apple generally 1 year per model

My PS2 didnt last the etnire generation (nor has more ps3 or 360 (on my third 360)

if the systems last, sure!

I wouldn't worry about that. The game has been downloaded nearly 1 million times on torrents.
That makes me almost as sad as the fact that Queensland has somehow become the birthplace both of Hansonism and Katter's brand of incoherent and internally contradictory fuckwitticism.

I don't know whether or not Family First was also spawned here, but it makes me equally sad.

Choc

Banned
I haven't seen anyone on public transport with a 3DS or a Vita. I know I'd rather bring my phone with me than a device that can only do gaming. I didn't buy my iPhone or iPad to play games on it but since it can, for cheap, then that's an added functionality I now use.

welcome to 99.9% of ipad users

I will agree that 99% of Mobile games I would prefer to play on a console or my PC. Most indie stuff will have a similar free version somewhere on the web (yes, sometimes in Flash).

Mobile gaming is mainly to reduce productivity, stuff that I check in between work. Having an all in one device means that I can ALWAYS have a game at my fingertips even if I am travelling light for a night out on the town.

midonnay

you can't compare ipads to ps3s...... they're more like laptops.

they're pretty cheap in that regards (I buy a new laptop just about every year)

Yagharek

its been 12 months since the ipad 2....

i dotn think apple is going to release more than 1 a year, they dont need to and its one reason they are as successful as they are.

Nokia etc flood the market so people wait it out, people know with apple generally 1 year per model

My PS2 didnt last the etnire generation (nor has more ps3 or 360 (on my third 360)

if the systems last, sure!

The platform (ps2) was viable for that time though. Hell, it was viable until 2008, and arguably still is in emerging markets. With iOS systems, the platform is a moving target and older systems get left behind. That's fine if its a phone on a typical 2 year contract. It's less fine with a $600 system that *should* last several years before forced into obsolescence.

If I buy a PC now, top of the range, I should be able to play lots of games in 2018 or so assuming it still works and assuming there is no revelation in making Qbits manageable.
If I buy a Wii U or PS4 or XBox 3, I expect there to be games for it in 2018.
If I buy an iPad 3, I expect it will be phased out by 2015 at the latest and I'll be forced to buy an iPad 8 or 9. If I want one in 2018, it'll be up to revision 15.

Apple are putting Activision to shame here.

edit: some perspective here.
1. My main gaming system from 1988 until 1998 was an Amiga 500. 10 year plan, people.
2. Goldeneye 64 still looks good and plays perfectly well.
3. Consoles/phones/computers should not break within 5 years, let alone 1 or 2 as is becoming the norm.
4. Get the fuck off my lawn whippersnapper.

Rezbit

Just throwing in my 2 cents: mobile touchscreen gaming is largely terrible. 99.9% of it is shit. To me it is a distraction when I am going from A to B, nothing more. Even then I'd rather just catch up on some websites or watch some Youtube vids.

Really don't get these people who cart around iPads and play games, or even people who spend hours and hours playing the same shitty thing. Same goes for those crappy Facebook games. Eh, what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom