• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
how are you all ignoring journey?

its amazing

gaf is going bananas over it in the OT

played through it twice last night.

I'll be interested in Journey the moment anyone -ANYONE- can actually stop jerking off over it long enough to do something crazy like spend five fucking seconds explaining what the actual game IS.

you jump, you explore. jumping is limited so reaching certain spots is a puzzle. a couple of sections are stealthy. the jumping is really fun.

Yoshiya

not to be a salesman here, but if you get plus now, you get Sly 1 and Trine 2 or free, which more than covers the cost of Plus.

How much is the shortest plus subscription? Really, I can't be bothered to play games most of the time any more and I need to hold onto most of the cash I have. I just want Journey.

Kritz

Banned
How I know today's going to be fun:

tGqs7l.jpg

Shoulda turned on the IRC bot...

Edit: here's a big tree

abCFTl.jpg

Gazunta

played through it twice last night.

you jump, you explore. jumping is limited so reaching certain spots is a puzzle. a couple of sections are stealthy. the jumping is really fun.

You're better than every video game journalist anywhere*. Thanks. Now it sounds interesting.

* except Kritz of course.

That sounds like the most boring possible way to describe Joruney, as a series of mechanical interactions

but it's the question he asked, and i think it's a fair enough question. all games are a series of mechanical interactions, or they wouldn't be games. even selecting dialogue counts, regardless if i personally think that makes for a bloody boring game.

Yagharek

Age of Zombies is a dual stick shooter and works fine on smartphones.

How can it be a dual stick shooter without sticks? :p

In all seriousness, I'm at wits end with my "smartphone" now. Capacitive touch screens weird out all the time, resulting in random zooming, multiple failed password entries (since the OS doesnt have you press enter, it just waits til 4 digits have been entered) and command entries not even remotely close to what was intended.

I don't know if it's a problem with WP7 (possible, no doubt), but my wife reports the same issues on her android.

I know this multitouch thing is a big deal - hell, it works perfectly on a touchpad a la macbooks. But not on touchscreens that cannot reliably interpret input.

Maybe resistive multitouch screens need to happen, with a higher degree of sensitivity. Until such time as I come across them, I will be unlikely to be getting another touchscreen smartphone.

Thank fuck Wii U has a working touchscreen. Of course, having one will probably mean soup calibur doesnt get ported.

In all seriousness, I'm at wits end with my "smartphone" now. Capacitive touch screens weird out all the time, resulting in random zooming, multiple failed password entries (since the OS doesnt have you press enter, it just waits til 4 digits have been entered) and command entries not even remotely close to what was intended.

I don't know if it's a problem with WP7 (possible, no doubt), but my wife reports the same issues on her android.

I know this multitouch thing is a big deal - hell, it works perfectly on a touchpad a la macbooks. But not on touchscreens that cannot reliably interpret input.

Maybe resistive multitouch screens need to happen, with a higher degree of sensitivity. Until such time as I come across them, I will be unlikely to be getting another touchscreen smartphone.

Thank fuck Wii U has a working touchscreen. Of course, having one will probably mean soup calibur doesnt get ported.
I don't quite understand what you mean by the bold?

Also what phones do you and your wife have so I can make sure to tell people not to buy them. I already tell them to grab the Galaxy S2 but some people don't like the big screen for some reason (until they have it for more than an hour of course and then fall in love).

Resistive, so by implication it will work.

Phones in question are htc mozart (never touching htc again) and experia something. Arc, maybe.

I have a Mozart and don't have a drama with it. Especially after the 7.5 update. Any touch screen drama I've had has been because of having fat fingers.

Yagharek

I have a Mozart and don't have a drama with it. Especially after the 7.5 update. Any touch screen drama I've had has been because of having fat fingers.

It's my 2nd mozart. The first was dead out of the box. Or, rather, lasted less than 24 hours before it decided that me looking at the screen was enough for it to try and enter the passcode 4000 times, thus locking me out of it altogether.

Kritz

Banned
Hey this town has a mcdonalds - great.

God damn this place is empty. Entire town is devoid of life.

New Norfolk, FYI.

Yagharek

Hey this town has a mcdonalds - great.

God damn this place is empty. Entire town is devoid of life.

New Norfolk, FYI.

I knew you were in 'norfick when you posted the mural photos.

Is anyone still in the royal derwent park asylum? You could pretend to be batman.

Clipper

SydGAF 3: Board Games 2 went off quite nicely. A weirdly slow-starting game of Munchkin came to a pretty quick finish with Don winning via Divine Intervention... damn.

I also won a game of Citadels and we all lost Pandemic, even though we only had one more turn to go to win (we dawdled a tad and didn't realise how quickly the player cards run out).

Still, a lot of fun and we will definitely need to do it again soon. I propose either the 25th of March of 1st of April (not an April Fools joke, lets really pick a date we can stick to this time).

It's my 2nd mozart. The first was dead out of the box. Or, rather, lasted less than 24 hours before it decided that me looking at the screen was enough for it to try and enter the passcode 4000 times, thus locking me out of it altogether.

Fuck. That's shit. I actually did have to ship mine off for repairs. I completely forgot about that. It shat itself and wouldn't turn on.

Yagharek

Fuck. That's shit. I actually did have to ship mine off for repairs. I completely forgot about that. It shat itself and wouldn't turn on.

Par for the course. Battery life is completely shit too, needs to be charged every 12 hours with moderate use. Sometimes every 6 hours. I know it's a low capacity battery, but it's still unacceptable, especially when I may be driving up to 8 hours on occasion (welcome to WA).

Danoss

Talking SydGAF board gaming: I have no Sunday footy games coming up, so I'm totally good for either. Sooner the better I say, bring on the 25th!

Par for the course. Battery life is completely shit too, needs to be charged every 12 hours with moderate use. Sometimes every 6 hours. I know it's a low capacity battery, but it's still unacceptable, especially when I may be driving up to 8 hours on occasion (welcome to WA).
Incar charger.

Although that is super shit. I can get 24 hours even with a fair amount of weekend wifi browsing and a few games.

Battery currently at 72% since taking off the charger at 7am and browsing GAF and twitter all day over our wifi. Also played some Modern Combat which is pretty fun.

Also have I said that Mass Effect 3 is awesome?

Kritz

Banned
I knew you were in 'norfick when you posted the mural photos.

Is anyone still in the royal derwent park asylum? You could pretend to be batman.

Drove past it and didn't see much there. If I were with some friends as opposed to part of a 13 year old's birthday party, I'd have loved to go around parts of that town later at night. One of my old friends is a crazy person who believes in ghosts and paranormal shit, goes into abandon buildings with cameras and tape recorders.

I've never actually been with him, but it sounds fun even if the premise is a buncha rubbish.

--

AusBeerGAF:

SSQGn.jpg

Thoughts?

I've had it a few times. It's not bad, but still not really my first choice of beer. Never seen it on tap anywhere. I think Fosters make it? I tried to buy some Mac's Sassy Red, but the BWS I went to didn't stock it. Must be a Big Bargin thing. Seems the smaller places only ever stock boags, carlton, vb, cascade and then a selection of james squire.

--

Gold Coast GAF: I'll be going up in there in July. A meetup could be cool? I don't remember if anyone in Queensland wants to kill me. This is actually one of the things I think about before trying to organise an event like this. Where do people around the sunshine coast go for a pissup?

Will be there from the 2nd to the 8th, with a wedding that I have to goto somewhere in between. I think my weekends will be free, probably also friday arvo / night.

Locally brewed Carlsberg is soapy and tastes nothing like the nice crisp proper Carlsberg that some places import. The locally made Water and such are different so effectively it could be seen as a spin off beer.

Ooooo Elephant beer was awesome at the place across the road from the waterfront uni in Geelong. Used to be able to reach around the counter and steal them when the bartenders were busy. Stronger beer too.

Jintor

but it's the question he asked, and i think it's a fair enough question. all games are a series of mechanical interactions, or they wouldn't be games. even selecting dialogue counts, regardless if i personally think that makes for a bloody boring game.

I guess Gaz just likes boring things :T

I went to a park for a party also. Buy it wasnt a 13 year old girl. Not sure whats up with that. There was an ice cream truck and 2 clowns ONE HAD AN ANIMAL. Not sure if rabbit or bird.

Omikron

There's a paper factory!

VkAeDl.jpg

Also two pubs. One is apparently "famous". It looked like someone's home with a sign put out the front. I didn't go in.

While at uni I had a pretty decent tour around that facility. Was quite interesting although the 'water' that comes out at the end smells rather interesting.

While at uni I had a pretty decent tour around that facility. Was quite interesting although the 'water' that comes out at the end smells rather interesting.
I thought you were in sydney. I cant imagine interesting liquids coming out of a factory tthat makes drinks is appealing.

Vince, I had a similar problem with my HTC Hero. Fingers crossed the Galaxy Nexus (which can be had for the price of an S2 almost nowadays) doesn't develop the same problem. I did over clock the Hero, though, so I figured it was my own fault. Not planning on buying an HTC product for a while after how quickly they stopped Android updates. Looks like Samsung are pretty bad with their (lack of) ICS updates too.

Agyar

No. But this is what games will turn into once hardware becomes more powerful. With better technology developers get all excited about how much crap they can do, how to make it deeper, more open, add in AI and all that fun. That means mobile gaming is going to continue to get more complex, So you're going to see games such as GTA3 on the platform.

iOS is good for games that required very little interaction, simple swipes and taps, Like infinity blade. It's all on wheels and requires the most basic interaction and yet sold like mad because of it. If you threw in dual controls, 4 move buttons and other crap, There's no way that would have sold and done as well.

So you argue that the best games on iOS are made for the platform and utilise control schemes that suit the input style and in turn sell well because of it. But you think developers will completely ignore this and instead create games similar to a port of a ten year old Playstation 2-era game designed for a gamepad, purely because the hardware is getting more poweful. How does this make any sense to you?

Developers have been putting games that mimic console games with virtual button/stick inputs on the iPhone since it came out and they've rarely been the top sellers or even critically praised titles. If platforms like iOS were going to be taken over by games like Grand Theft Auto 3, it would have already happened by now. Instead we have Infinity Blade being shown off at Apple events.

I'd get about 15 hours most days at a guess. I charge it overnight but it's normally close to dead when I do. That said I do a fair bit of GAFing and other internet on it. It seems to last way longer when I don't.

Also, after nearly biting on a Sony Tablet S yestrday, despite really wanting a Transformer, I've decided to wait for the Asus Memo 370T. Cheap, quad core, and 7". Lock me in Eddie

Yagharek

Vince, I had a similar problem with my HTC Hero. Fingers crossed the Galaxy Nexus (which can be had for the price of an S2 almost nowadays) doesn't develop the same problem. I did over clock the Hero, though, so I figured it was my own fault. Not planning on buying an HTC product for a while after how quickly they stopped Android updates. Looks like Samsung are pretty bad with their (lack of) ICS updates too.

Mine is factory default + carrier updates, so I guess its just ordinary battery performance OOTB. But like you, I'm going to avoid HTC again. Done the same with ericsson (frequent lockups) and nokias (superhot batteries) in the past. Slowly working my way through brands and boycotting them straight after.

Not very impressed overall tbh.

I'd get about 15 hours most days at a guess. I charge it overnight but it's normally close to dead when I do. That said I do a fair bit of GAFing and other internet on it. It seems to last way longer when I don't.

I guess define 'fair bit', because your experience is much like mine, only 15 hours is closer to 4-6 in my experience before the red light starts flashing.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So you argue that the best games on iOS are made for the platform and utilise control schemes that suit the input style and in turn sell well because of it. But you think developers will completely ignore this and instead create games similar to a port of a ten year old Playstation 2-era game designed for a gamepad, purely because the hardware is getting more poweful. How does this make any sense to you?

Developers have been putting games that mimic console games with virtual button/stick inputs on the iPhone since it came out and they've rarely been the top sellers or even critically praised titles. If platforms like iOS were going to be taken over by games like Grand Theft Auto 3, it would have already happened by now. Instead we have Infinity Blade being shown off at Apple events.

Yes I honestly think it will happen that way because that's the way developers work when it comes to technology. What's the point of all that power and screen beauty if you're going to make me shove my hands over it and obscure part of the view? Why keep creating the same simplistic games when you have all that power?

They all keep crapping on about how amazing this hardware is and how the power of mobile gaming is going to blow us away. We now have Mark Rain talking about how the Samaritan demo will probably run on mobile hardware in 2014. You honestly think they are going to continue to create 2D landscapes with simplistic swipe controls? How does that make any sense to you? That wouldn't be pushing the hardware at all, That wouldn't be creating new experiences on the system. It makes zero sense which is why I say they will continue to push the hardware and move into the 3D space, They have to, there's no other way about it.

The only reason people claim the mobile gaming will take over the world is because of pricing. Why buy a $60 game when I can buy this $2 game and get as many hours of fun out of it. That's the major justification for it and if Apple want to be taken seriously in taking over the handheld space then they need controls. The chances of that happening are slim though since they hate moving parts.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Apple will probably win it all even without controls since Nintendo and Sony probably won't even try to push dollar apps on their own devices. The vita would be perfect for it since it contains a touch screen, it's a good size, feels great in your hands and has the controls for the more "hardcore" crowd. It's Sony though so even if they do attempt to do something like that they are bound to fuck it up.

And are you honestly excited about playing the new infinity blade? It could be on rails, maybe you tap enemies and tap what power you want to use while you watch your character act them out. That could be cool i guess, right? Otherwise, since it's meant to be a diablo style game, which would suggest some form of free movement, it must be dual sticks or at least one of them and that would suck.

Oh and I have NO issues if im totally wrong about it. I would love to be wrong about it all and to see some interesting and amazing stuff done on mobile devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom