• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wat. Volition doing it? THQ having anything to do with it at all?

Nope, a handle of dudes in Prague at Keen Software House. Been trying to find who is involved related to the old Descent games but having no success. Matthew Toschlog was the main Descent dude but he ended up back at Volition doing RF Guerrilla.

Also Volition didn't do Descent, Parallax did who then split into Volition and Outrage Entertainment.

EDIT: Oh and the Pre-Alpha of the game has been public for quite a while now! Might as well give it a burl.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I love this idea. Very Dark Souls in what sounds like a somewhat more accessible way. If it's co-op, it'll be awesome.

" MERCY KILLER – When your character gets infected, your online friends are alerted of your death and can come and hunt down your zombified character to loot the gear in your BOB (Bag) and put you out of your misery!"

...awesome

I will be a Wii U Day 1 adopter.

I still might. ZombiU looks cool. I haven't played a NSMB really so that'd be sweet. Pikmin I guess. I still have to watch that trailer. Was it even a launch game?
I'm not sold on it all though.

Dont forget the eclipse today. Also make sure you don't look directly at the sun. One of my idiot co workers just did.

I've been watching videos of it and it really just makes me want to go and look at it.

Yagharek

Its a transit not an eclipse!

Cant see it from Perth. Overcast and raining today. Still, I saw the one last time in 2004 on a giant projector with live feed from a telescope w/filters. So at least I know what its like. Still a shame though.

Choc

Banned
so i think vince is potentially backing a winner in Wii U

not requiring a tv is really quite a huge deal. Especially for the younger generation whose parents want to watch tele.

i expect Microsoft to try and do something about that as well now. Sony? maybe.

Use the Vita to stream the game, oh wait, we already announced that :p

Yes i know it doesn't work yet.

jambo

This isn't a surprise seeing you adopt everything new.

I'm probably going to get a 3DS again too =P How can I resist when there's Paper Mario, Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion. Ooh and Scribblenauts Unlimited!

not requiring a tv is really quite a huge deal. Especially for the younger generation whose parents want to watch tele.
Heck, being able to get my Zelda on while my wife watches Greys Anatomy would be godly by itself. I see that being the Wii U's killer app.

But first, they have to release a Zelda. I played like 15 of them, many back to back, over the past 3 or 4 years. I can wait.

hamchan

Is it? That's what portables and iOS devices are for.

Yagharek

A few weeks ago I posted that I wasnt hyped for Wii U. Looking forward to it, but not hyped. That seems to have tempered my reactions to the conference last night; it was pretty bad. They struggled to communicate easily what it can do, and the media (CNN) still thinks its an add on for Wii.

The software is there though. New Platinum game seems a cross between katamari and pikmin. NSMBU looks gorgeous the closer you look at it. ZombieU has an interesting concept and pikmin 3 is pikmin fucking 3.

The social aspect looks like it has been intelligently implemented in a significantly different way to ps3/360. Whether it is a problem or not is another matter. Will Miiverse posts spoil what upcoming dunegons and enemies are in a game you are just starting off? Or will it intelligently filter out posts from people ahead of you in a new game? Or will it display cartoon dicks? Ive seen enough non-incidental nudity over xbox live cameras to do me for a lifetime.

Also, nothing in the show demonstrates the systems power capabilities. Will games like watchdog or splinter cell be capable of running on it? Will they be on it?

Lots more questions exist now than did last night before the show.

I'm confused.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the Wii U is roughly three years too late. They needed to beat the iPad to market.

Wait, is Pikmin 3 played using a standard Wii controller and not the tablet one? That's a load of shit right there.
I imagine the WiiU is cross-compatible with controllers. I also imagine that since the WiiU isn't finalised yet they haven't created a dev machine for developers. I also imagine the coding methodology is very similar for each console, so it would just be a matter of creating a new input scheme for the new controller.

Yagharek

I feel like the Wii U is roughly three years too late. They needed to beat the iPad to market.

Potentially. DS beat iPhone/iPod Touch to the punch with touchscreens for gaming. Made a big impact there. Wii made the first real move with motion gaming as far as the mainstream is concerned (sidewinder barely counts).

Wii U coming out after iPad is going to be a hard sell. It didnt get anything to differentiate it at E3. I guess we are about to find out just how big a deal 2D Mario is when it carries a system launch. NSMB Wii did 20 million +, so maybe this will be big enough?

Choc

Banned
if apple releases an official game controller with fucking sticks

i agree

if not

ipad gaming is somewhat limited and NEEDS a controller

Both, wii remote for precision

edit: not both, but either or

I imagine the WiiU is cross-compatible with controllers. I also imagine that since the WiiU isn't finalised yet they haven't created a dev machine for developers. I also imagine the coding methodology is very similar for each console, so it would just be a matter of creating a new input scheme for the new controller.

You can play with the Wiimote and Nunchuck or the Wii U GamePad.

Phew. You've allayed my fears AusGAF.

Potentially. DS beat iPhone/iPod Touch to the punch with touchscreens for gaming. Made a big impact there. Wii made the first real move with motion gaming as far as the mainstream is concerned (sidewinder barely counts).

Wii U coming out after iPad is going to be a hard sell. It didnt get anything to differentiate it at E3. I guess we are about to find out just how big a deal 2D Mario is when it carries a system launch. NSMB Wii did 20 million +, so maybe this will be big enough?

This is why I'm thinking the Xbox Smart Glass is pretty genius. Letting people use devices they already have is clever as hell. Why buy a new console when you can do the same with stuff you already own?
That said it won't actually do anything near what the tablet controller of the U uses, but it could for Xbox 3. And doing that would cut the price of the system too.

Yagharek

As far as remote play goes, PSP-PS3 was noticeably laggy. Like 200ms+ laggy.

If Wii U is lag free (as stated) then it will be a vastly superior interface from that standpoint.

Smartglass doesnt impress me. NFI why you would want to be reading character bios etc when watching game of thrones spoilers.

Smartglass doesnt impress me. NFI why you would want to be reading character bios etc when watching game of thrones spoilers.
What if it showed a map of Westeros with the city they were in highlighted? Or a family tree showing relationships or family allegiances? Or how about production notes/trivia?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What if it showed a map of Westeros with the city they were in highlighted? Or a family tree showing relationships or family allegiances? Or how about production notes/trivia?

Just what people need: shorter attention spans

Yagharek

From the roundtable:

There will be a system built into Miiverse to avoid spoilers. That sounds potentially cool.

Thats about as appealing as marketing calls at 1am, doorknocking when you sit down to watch a film, mobile ringing during the final scene or wiimote batteries running out in a boss battle.

Get that shit away from my viewing time please.

Just what people need: shorter attention spans
Already happened long ago with DVD commentary, trivia tracks, and people watching TV at the same time as browsing on tables, smart phones.

Thats about as appealing as marketing calls at 1am, doorknocking when you sit down to watch a film, mobile ringing during the final scene or wiimote batteries running out in a boss battle.
#oldmanvince

WiiU stuff that interests me;

Kamiya project
Pikmin 3
(maybe) ZombiU

Everything else I can take or leave. More beautiful Rayman is great, I played the PC version so I am already used to sexy sexy art.

Only in small doses though, otherwise I would just buy a game on Vita/3DS. Most games will be designed for the big screen anyway! Publishers have enough trouble with making in-game text viewable on SD TV's.

The old Futurama ones were fantastic.
Also old Simpsons! Aside from that I don't bother with commentary tracks.

Fredescu

Mr Beanomoto

gBe96.gif

Rezbit

I'll be waiting to pick up the Wii U, as I do for most consoles. The only one I bought day 1 recently was 3DS and that burned me pretty hard. I'll see how it goes after a year.

Also thank you cods for the transit of Venus vid :D SPACE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom