• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Oh man Dota 2 is having an in game live broadcast now where you can hear Tobi Wan commentate and follow his pov too. Damn I wish I was home for this.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh man Dota 2 is having an in game live broadcast now where you can hear Tobi Wan commentate and follow his pov too. Damn I wish I was home for this.

Yep. Valve along with singsing and tobi are testing shit at the moment. I'm guessing in prep for tonights qualifiers. Which starts in 4 and a half hours.

AlW3a.png

Choc

Banned
Game of the Forever?

Ubisoft Montreal demonstrated the feature in an interview with Destructoid. The developer showed off the iPad application’s isometric view of the same map you’ll be exploring in the main game.

When players hack into a target on their console, their information becomes trackable in the mobile app, meaning you can quickly and easily follow and access them without needing to hang about in the core game.

The map also provides a chance to check out a location before visiting it, which has obvious tactical advantages.

Most interestingly perhaps, the app is social; you can see what your friends are doing in their games, and even follow their actions to help resolve difficult sequences.

D’toid seems particularly delighted by the fact that if your friends grant you permission, you can interfere with their games; the example given was changing traffic light sequences to mess up traffic.

Watch Dogs has not been dated. Check out the first trailer here.

JMizzlin

Anyone checking out an advanced screening of Prometheus tonight? I'm tempted but I don't know how crowded it will be in a Brisbane cinema..

Yagharek

WiiU stuff that interests me;

Kamiya project
Pikmin 3
(maybe) ZombiU

Everything else I can take or leave. More beautiful Rayman is great, I played the PC version so I am already used to sexy sexy art.

Only in small doses though, otherwise I would just buy a game on Vita/3DS. Most games will be designed for the big screen anyway! Publishers have enough trouble with making in-game text viewable on SD TV's.

Rayman on Wii U is so far the only one with amazing rhythm platforming performances though. That did look pretty special.

My Wii U target list so far is Pikmin, Mario, P-100, maybes include Batman, ZombiU, AssCreed, Tanks and Lego City is looking good too.

Not bad for a poor conference.

Anyone checking out an advanced screening of Prometheus tonight? I'm tempted but I don't know how crowded it will be in a Brisbane cinema..

Going tonight. Seeing it in 3D on some big screen.

So long as it's satisfactorily playable on your own.

One thing that worries me about Wii U and games in general is the chasing of the twitter/social networking side of things. I hope games are still perfectly playable solo.

There was some clapping audio during NSMBU as well, must be a Ninty thing.

Pretty sure all of them do it, though I wasnt aware until this E3 that past sony conferences have had plants in them to cheer/whoop etc. Now I'm not surprised that it happens, but still disappointed. Poor form from all 3.

Choc

Banned
i won't ever forgive nintendo for having 'so call me maybe' belting out at e3

its the catchiest fucking tune that gets stuck in your head.

edit: so i wasnt insane when i thoguht isaw the word fuck.

Also, the car in the Watch Dogs ending has GAT as its number plate

GTA? ;)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Cods can't handle the awesomeness that is my winning ability in ticket to ride on iOS.

I still have no idea what i'm doing.

Yagharek

So what does AusGAF think about the violent streak in games this E3?

To me there were a few standouts - namely the "no please, dont" in Last of Us, the "are you ok, honey speak to me" in WatchDogs. I wonder if anyone else thinks those moments crossed a line, or at least got closer to it than any other games so far?

I posted this in a gaming side thread on the rps article, but I think there has been an escalation in depiction of particularly cruel violence since No Russian, and it sure as hell is going to be taken to task by the local Aus media like channel 7 and whomever the christian lobby types alert to it.

If it grabs my attention as being "maybe a bit too much" then you can guarantee that there will be campaigns to "ban this filth" very soon.

Any thoughts from others on the matter?

I actually found those two moments to be much better than just mowing down enemies. I think it will be picked up as a good thing by good media, giving more consequences for the players actions rather than being a part of the killbot factory.

Yagharek

So what are the consequences of not finishing off the guy in the Last of Us where he begs for his life? Does he get back up and shoot you? If so, it kind of forces your hand for the rest of the game.

I know thats the obvious tone they are going for with the game, but it still kind of feels wrong to see. Just like the curbstomp in American History X, or anything in Saw. Or the cellar in The Road.

I really didnt like the intersection bit in WatchDogs though. Didnt sit right.

hamchan

Even I noticed the number of super violent games this year and I'm normally numb to violence. I liked it in Last of Us and WatchDogs though especially the former because if they're trying to ape The Road/apocalypse movies then brutal violence is pretty much necessary.

So what are the consequences of not finishing off the guy in the Last of Us where he begs for his life? Does he get back up and shoot you? If so, it kind of forces your hand for the rest of the game.

I know thats the obvious tone they are going for with the game, but it still kind of feels wrong to see. Just like the curbstomp in American History X, or anything in Saw. Or the cellar in The Road.

I really didnt like the intersection bit in WatchDogs though. Didnt sit right.
that's the point, it shouldn't sit right. You are in a world of no organised society, primative. All about survival and kill or be killed. The guy would have killed Joel if given the chance.

Watch Dogs is a bit different, showing the cost of one little hack of some traffic lights and how quickly a binary decision such as pulling a trigger can result in countless lives affected forever. Makes you think twice about attacking out in the open, or maybe you will think it is a better opportunity to take out your target and escape easily in the chaos. Choice!

Yagharek

Oh no, I just had a horrible thought.

5p Bomberman on Wii U.

It will never happen. ;_; Hudson

that's the point, it shouldn't sit right. You are in a world of no organised society, primative. All about survival and kill or be killed. The guy would have killed Joel if given the chance.

Watch Dogs is a bit different, showing the cost of one little hack of some traffic lights and how quickly a binary decision such as pulling a trigger can result in countless lives affected forever. Makes you think twice about attacking out in the open, or maybe you will think it is a better opportunity to take out your target and escape easily in the chaos. Choice!

Is it really a choice though? Ive played through MGS3 and killed only one character in the entire game, and thats a compulsory one. I would be surprised yet impressed if that option is available in TLOU or Watchdogs.

midonnay

the part where kratos stabs the monster in the head with a blade and you see the brains exposed....

uhmm that was unnecessary.

the last of us and watch_dogs violence didn't really phase me.... nothing too different from what you would see in the movies or tv.

Choc

Banned
You don't have to finish the watch dogs ending that way, just saying....

i do think this year game devs have gone over the top with trying to go mature. There is mature and then there is batshit violent

out of what you've seen so far, assuming we don't get R18 soon what do you think would be in trouble?

Fredescu

The part in The Last of Us where the guys head gets slammed into the table stuck with me. Was that necessary? Also the close up of elephant man getting stabbed in the head in GoW was bad.

The intersection bit in Watch Dogs was pointing out the consequences of your actions, rather than just mindless cars crashing into each other. That's a plus in my book.

You're right (although the Christian Lobby hates 7 right now) but I don't mind it. It seems to be taking violence more seriously. I'd hope its the beginnings of a more mature take on violence (it probably won't be).

The part in The Last of Us where the guys head gets slammed into the table stuck with me. Was that necessary? Also the close up of elephant man getting stabbed in the head in GoW was bad.

The intersection bit in Watch Dogs was pointing out the consequences of your actions, rather than just mindless cars crashing into each other. That's a plus in my book.
Yeah the table thing seemed like a hands off thing just for the trailer. Seemed to be trying to oversell how desperate Joel was to finish the guy off but I get the impression that part of the game with Joel being a convicted killer or something in the past.

Jintor

So what does AusGAF think about the violent streak in games this E3?

To me there were a few standouts - namely the "no please, dont" in Last of Us, the "are you ok, honey speak to me" in WatchDogs. I wonder if anyone else thinks those moments crossed a line, or at least got closer to it than any other games so far?

I posted this in a gaming side thread on the rps article, but I think there has been an escalation in depiction of particularly cruel violence since No Russian, and it sure as hell is going to be taken to task by the local Aus media like channel 7 and whomever the christian lobby types alert to it.

If it grabs my attention as being "maybe a bit too much" then you can guarantee that there will be campaigns to "ban this filth" very soon.

Any thoughts from others on the matter?

I think especially The Last of Us and Watch Dogs was the most interesting depictions. There was more emphasis in TLOU on the kind of brutality and the 'fight or die' kind of style of survivalist fiction. "Would you have it in you to do what you have to do?" is a kind of prominent theme there and I felt that was really what was coming out of that demo. It's possible I might be projecting, but lines like "Great job with the... uh... killing" made it sound like there was some exploration of that kind of thing.

Watch Dogs was interesting. The dead guys in cars, especially the wife... interesting.

The thing is that violence (much like sexuality) is only really appropriate in context, and you can't get a complete picture of the context from trailers.

Cods can't handle the awesomeness that is my winning ability in ticket to ride on iOS.
:(

I was so close to winning! You denied me a 20-point ticket...

Also, didn't any of you guys play Splinter Cell Conviction? There was plenty of unnecessary roughness in the interrogation scenes.

Choc

Banned
maybe for far to long we've been able to kill things and do things without considering the consequences in video games?

i guess what this does prove is that despite what mainstream media think, we are not desensitized.

edit: Jintor wildgoose wasn't at the Far Cry 3 stations, i was surprised!

edit2: ZombiU has corpse runs, but you have to kill your corpse to get your stuff back

wow.

Yagharek

I think especially The Last of Us and Watch Dogs was the most interesting depictions. There was more emphasis in TLOU on the kind of brutality and the 'fight or die' kind of style of survivalist fiction. "Would you have it in you to do what you have to do?" is a kind of prominent theme there and I felt that was really what was coming out of that demo. It's possible I might be projecting, but lines like "Great job with the... uh... killing" made it sound like there was some exploration of that kind of thing.

Watch Dogs was interesting. The dead guys in cars, especially the wife... interesting.

The thing is that violence (much like sexuality) is only really appropriate in context, and you can't get a complete picture of the context from trailers.

Thanks to both of you for some thoughtful perspectives. Not to say others havent, but I particularly liked the rationales here, even if I dont totally agree.

Choc

Banned
Vince did you ever play Manhunt?

The original? We are not back at that levels of depravity just yet. There is also a feeling that if a game can immerse you to the point where you react adversely to the outcome of an event, that it has completely sucked you in and is a successful game

manhunt did that. It made you feel very depressed. And it was one of manhunts most impressive features. The game was bad and over the top, but it connected you in a way like never before in games.

having now watched highlgihts of the nintendo press conference it was a fresh moment to watch a nubmer of happy games that you really don't have to worry about classification at all in australia a bout, and not just killing

Pikmin looked cool :) Nintendoland if a pack in is the new wii sports

Yagharek

Vince did you ever play Manhunt?

The original? We are not back at that levels of depravity just yet.

I did actually. I had forgotten I had even played it.

Manhunt was certainly more depraved than most games, but its context was equivalent to The Last of Us IIRC. You are both playing a character in a kill or be killed scenario, yes? How then is it any different in shooting an enemy pleading for mercy compared to killing someone with a shard of glass where your character's survival depends on the brutality of their kills?

Manhunt was unsettling, but it had as much justification as TLOU does.

Yagharek

Update regarding the "competition" for the XBox 360 Fight Pad (Guile SF4 theme)

I notice no-one has yet posted any kind of funny image/gif/mspaint style thing in order to get it.

I was going to offer it to whomever had the best, but I'm also running out of time to get it organised to post off. So...

Does anyone know of who has a genuine interest in having such a controller? I'm going to get a postpak and send it off tomorrow morning. Whoever wants it or knows someone who would really appreciate it can have it. Alternatively, if someone is in the midst of an epic gif then instead of wasting your time, post your progress to date and that will suffice.

Sorry to stuff anyone around, but I just dont have the time I thought I did originally.

Jintor

Manhunt's justification of a crazed game show/competitive style is a different context to a survival-based world where the entire world has gone to shit, I think.

If you're going to just give it out, I'd love to grab it. I want to practice Marvel and Skullgirls on a pad...

Choc

Banned
one thing i didnt like about manhunt was you were indeed forced to kill. The gate wouldnt open until all were dead

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
In the watch dogs ending, pulling the guy out of the car is actually a user choice. You see that if you watch the gameplay again, you get a rescue option over the top of the car. You could essentially ignore it and who knows, maybe the guy doesn't get out of the car on his own and dies in cross fire. Maybe he figures his partner is dead and attempts to get out of the car only to die in cross fire. Maybe he gets out and stays low without your help and tries to kick your ass or simply moves out of the way and survive.

The games did some really violent this year around, More so than anything before. That's expected as we slowly move to a more realistic experience though, Hopefully that in turn will start to make games less about killing or it will just make the next generation more numb to the idea of death and war.

God of War elephant section was only bad due to the audio. It was the sound of an elephant in trouble, not some hybrid humanphant screaming in pain. Had the audio been different, tweaked to be more human like I don't think I would personally have a major issue with that scene.

The last of us is mostly justified based on the title alone. It's essentially be killed or get killed. I'm sure they were also attacking you before you decided to go balls deep into them with bullets.

Fredescu

The last of us is mostly justified based on the title alone. It's essentially be killed or get killed.
It's only justified if there is some interesting story there. Otherwise they made the title and scenario just to show off some mad violence.

Re: God of War and violence: I just don't like how it treats it at all.
It just all seemed so comical and unreal until the elephant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom