• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

midonnay

the funny thing is that some of the most illustrious olympians shoot with shotguns :p

Img214520098.jpg

I don't see how console devs ate going to stay profitable next generation. I read the SE demo thread and see the PS4/Nextbox spec threads, see the frothing, unreasonable demands from the people in there and am horrified.

If things don't change soon, every game next gen is going to be four hours long and take as long to make as FF Versus XIII and The Last Guardian. It's going to be all AAA shooters and sandbox games, all the time from the same four or five publishers, with the tedium occasionally broken up by a quirky downloadable title.

Thank God for handhelds and Steam.

Fredescu

Salazar said:
He wasn't "in a fight". He shattered a dude's face.
The implication that all other athletes are placed on some sort of moral pedestal by dint of representing Australia in a sport is the problem.

Nobel Peace Prizes.
What if by smashing some dudes face you bring peace to the middle east?

I don't see how console devs ate going to stay profitable next generation.
They certainly didn't this gen.

midonnay

I don't see how console devs ate going to stay profitable next generation. I read the SE demo thread and see the PS4/Nextbox spec threads, see the frothing, unreasonable demands from the people in there and am horrified.

a possible way could be releasing the game in episodes.

Intead of investing the money on a uber-engine and left with little money for the actual game itself.

Just concentrate on the engine and release lets say Final fantasy 15 in 4 or 5 parts.

That way if gamers don't like the game, they don't go bankrupt. Just concentrate on something else.

It would be better than waiting 7 years for a game imo. No different to a television series.

Salazar

The implication that all other athletes are placed on some sort of moral pedestal by dint of representing Australia in a sport is the problem.

Pedestal is a bit strong.

Silly bastards. Find somewhere nicer to drink said:
According to police sources, Beale allegedly struck a security guard at the Victory Hotel after he and Cooper were ejected from the premises.

Cooper then grabbed the phone of a witness who was filming the incident, and smashed the device, it was alleged.

Dead Man

a possible way could be releasing the game in episodes.

Intead of investing the money on a uber-engine and left with little money for the actual game itself.

Just concentrate on the engine and release lets say Final fantasy 15 in 4 or 5 parts.

That way if gamers don't like the game, they don't go bankrupt. Just concentrate on something else.

It would be better than waiting 7 years for a game imo. No different to a television series.

They would still need to have almost all of it built though, gamers would not want an 12 month wait between parts, or worse, valvetime.

Choc

Banned

If things don't change soon, every game next gen is going to be four hours long and take as long to make as FF Versus XIII and The Last Guardian. It's going to be all AAA shooters and sandbox games, all the time from the same four or five publishers, with the tedium occasionally broken up by a quirky downloadable title.

i've been thinking about this a lot in the last week VKS and i think that costs have to plateu at some point. I was wondering how hollywood had evolved since the 1930s for example and how costs generally for films since the 90s have not gone up. Yes they have every so often a very expensive film but thats for almost guaranteed hits based on the director and actors. You are paying for the human capital.

Not every film costs $100 million dollars. And hollywood has somehow managed to reign in costs despite the frothing demand of fans.

The craziest thing is that ILM someone who generally only works on huge films, with huge earning potential is involved in making a game. That takes game development to stratospheric levels.

The way i see it panning out is this. AAA games are only guaranteed hits. The COD's the AC's etc etc and we only see true innovation within the downloadable space. This is why XBLA and PSN are such good things.

Low dev costs and ability to truly innovate because you don't report to a major publisher wanting $$$$$$$.

I think the days of huge innovation in gaming where we see tons and tons of new IP might be over. It's not beyond a situation where gaming in fact kills itself from being so costly and we end upw ith just Nintendo who focus on the games and keep within their limits.

It might be old man syndrome but i am far more excited by what Wii U can offer with the pad then seeing someone stabbed in higher definition. Also with crazy HD, more games will be banned in Australia.

You will have a situation (just like you can have in movies) where one very bad game can destroy a company. We've seen it a few times in this generation, and it will just continue more and more next gen.

Got a copy of Renegade Ops (Steamworks) from a GamersGate 4pack for $4 buckaroonies, it's $8 for singular on GG. Pee Em me with email if interested. payback via paypal is preferred

The implication that all other athletes are placed on some sort of moral pedestal by dint of representing Australia in a sport is the problem
Kids in Australia are taught to look up to athletes as role models and examples to follow on the basis that reaching that level of excellence at anything can only happen as a result of a lot of discipline, hard work and determined effort, which are all admirable qualities in a person.

The fact that possessing these qualities do not prevent a person from also being as thick as a bag of rocks, shamelessly dishonest, utterly un-empathetic, irrationally violent, an awful racist or a complete and utter cunt just never occurs to people. People get upset when the reality of this becomes clear.

Fredescu

I think the days of huge innovation in gaming where we see tons and tons of new IP might be over.
I think you mean the days of buying the huge innovation at retail is over. Innovation is everywhere at the moment. It's just not sold in retail boxes.

People get upset when the reality of this becomes clear.
Exactly. So teach kids the reality and send ex cons and cunts who smash faces on tour too and stop pretending that anyone should look up to athletes as paragons.

Salazar

Exactly. So teach kids the reality and send ex cons and cunts who smash faces on tour too and stop pretending that anyone should look up to athletes as paragons.

Well, England are delaying John Terry's court appearance for racist abuse so he can represent them at the Euros.

So I have a Steam key for Lone Survivor, Super Meat Boy and Braid, but I already own SMB and Braid so it's a bit of a waste using the key just for one game. Anyone interested?

What if by smashing some dudes face you bring peace to the middle east?
It's never been the case for me. And I try to bring peace to the Middle East. A lot.

So I have a Steam key for Lone Survivor, Super Meat Boy and Braid, but I already own SMB and Braid so it's a bit of a waste using the key just for one game. Anyone interested?
A gift-able Braid will appear in your inventory if you redeem the code. At least it did for me.

I think the days of huge innovation in gaming where we see tons and tons of new IP might be over. It's not beyond a situation where gaming in fact kills itself from being so costly and we end upw ith just Nintendo who focus on the games and keep within their limits.

I was agreeing with you 100% until you got here. I don't think gaming is in danger of killing itself. The worst that could happen would be an Atari type crash, but even that I doubt. Gaming is such a part of popular culture now I don't think people will turn their backs on it. And as the industry becomes more and more popular it'll be able to sustain more and more types of games.

Hollywood isn't 100% Transformers style movies, and games won't be Call of Duty spin offs for the rest of time.

The dominance of physical media might be coming to an end though. Whether that's a good thing or not is another debate.

Awww, I'd forgotten all about msn until I saw the
msn.gif

I want those soundtracks... again...

/edit bought. Anybody want Bastion, Sword and Sworcery, Amnesia, Braid, Psychonauts, Super Meat Boy, or Limbo? I has Steam codes.

If its not in a bundle I would love to play SMB, otherwise don't worry about it.
Double also: My wife is buying me clothes. Wives. 8)

I buy my boyfriend clothes mostly because if I don't he goes straight for bargin bin polo shirts that he doesn't have to try them on. smh.

haha, that's great.

Danoss

let me know dan.......

Well, I have both State of Origin tickets in my hand at the moment. The friend that brought them over said that the other guy was still in hospital as of 3 days ago and is unlikely to be able to attend himself. I'm having it looked into whether or not that leaves the second ticket free for me to distribute.

If that is indeed true and I am able to give the ticket to whomever I choose, since your offer was so generous, Choc, would you like to go (no promises of course)?

ty

i have no fucking lcue what to do now
Is there no way you can still get the house? Is it really that dependant on him?

I'm sorry there's nothing I can do apart from ask questions that ultimately don't improve your situation:(

Shan: check your steam thing stuff. I think I did it correctly.

Clipper

Ha! It's funny because it's true :/

Well, I have both State of Origin tickets in my hand at the moment. The friend that brought them over said that the other guy was still in hospital as of 3 days ago and is unlikely to be able to attend himself. I'm having it looked into whether or not that leaves the second ticket free for me to distribute.

If that is indeed true and I am able to give the ticket to whomever I choose, since your offer was so generous, Choc, would you like to go (no promises of course)?
If he declines, you probably don't want to ask me...
gazrimmerorigin.png

I am a Queenslander by origin after all

Omikron

Trying on stuff is fine, its the staff that drive me crazy in clothing stores for some reason. Just can't deal with their fakery :p

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Is there no way you can still get the house? Is it really that dependant on him?

I'm sorry there's nothing I can do apart from ask questions that ultimately don't improve your situation:(

Shan: check your steam thing stuff. I think I did it correctly.

my salary isnt high enough so they wont accept me alone

Danoss

If he declines, you probably don't want to ask me...
gazrimmerorigin.png

I am a Queenslander by origin after all

If the ticket is indeed available and Choc declines, I was thinking of asking you. That Queenslander thing is a bit of a deterrent, especially since they're Blatchys Blues tickets.

Clipper

If the ticket is indeed available and Choc declines, I was thinking of asking you. That Queenslander thing is a bit of a deterrent, especially since they're Blatchys Blues tickets.
Looking up what Blatchy's Blues is, I couldn't rightly sit there (I wouldn't wear the wig and I'd likely get killed at the first Maroon try), so I'll withdraw myself from contention now.

Oh, and to show there's no hard feelings, I just found this guy again:
rimmereelshome.png

Of course, that one doesn't represent my true support, but I'm sure you'll appreciate it.

Danoss

Looking up what Blatchy's Blues is, I couldn't rightly sit there (I wouldn't wear the wig and I'd likely get killed at the first Maroon try), so I'll withdraw myself from contention now.

Oh, and to show there's no hard feelings, I just found this guy again:
rimmereelshome.png

Of course, that one doesn't represent my true support, but I'm sure you'll appreciate it.

Yeah, you'd be feeling mighty uncomfortable there. They're quite vocal in that corner of the crowd, great for Blues supporters, probably not much fun for others unless you're a stirrer.

I remember that avatar! Haha.

So I bought another bundle cause I felt bad about offering the games and then using the code up (it wasn't my fault).

So I have a key for SMB, Braid and Lone Survivor is anyone wants it.

I had some great news today as well so I'm in the giving mood. The principle at my school asked my cooperative teacher when I'll be available to start casual work, and she said she will push through the paperwork so I'll be ready to go the first day of term 3... Seriously, I can't wait to start earning some money, I've been a poor Uni student for way too long.

The principle at my school asked my cooperative teacher when I'll be available to start casual work
Not an English teacher, I take it? :p

Made huge strides on three projects today. Pretty chuffed since I'm massively under the pump. Pity I have to work Monday unlike almost everyone else in Vic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom