• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulation, Holy.

It's a victory, I guess...

E1zYZ.gif

I've been waiting for Driver SF to hit 15 or less on 360 before I bite. Got plenty of stuff anyway so not in a rush.

I asked if anyone else wanted to go into a 4 pack of Torchlight 2 at the time of the load test beta. I have one other lined up already...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I still can't fathom its non-presence at Nintendo's presser. It's like, "We have this new exclusive from one of the most acclaimed directors in video games, but here's that Batman game that came out last year!"

I don't get how people don't get this.

mum and dad won't give a crap about p-100. mum and dad get their news from the news which covers the press conference

us nerds read gaf.

HolyCheck

I vomited a little in my mouth Roosters. Not recommended. Even the Skrillex x Korn thing was better some how.

ACA and Today Tonight covered E3?

you think ACA and Today Tonight are news?

or your mum and dad watch ACA or Today Tonight?

either way you're in trouble :(

Yagharek

I don't get how people don't get this.

mum and dad won't give a crap about p-100. mum and dad get their news from the news which covers the press conference

us nerds read gaf.

I don't know how you don't get it. E3 isn't for us nerds. Its for retailers.

P100 is niche amongst niche games.

HolyCheck

You think people don't watch ACA and Today Tonight?

Haven't lived with my parents for 8 years so I have no clue what they watch. They have satellite TV now so I don't think they get regular news programs anyway.

People watch them, but I'm not calling them news.

Choc

Banned
yes jintor lol exactly. Its totally missile

edit: Jint, check out Goose's twitter feed this morning. He dropping some truth bombs about E3.

Clipper

Reminder that Just Cause 2 is $3.75

Recently picked up the PC version when it was on sale. The 360 version is around $30 at the moment too, might double dip!

I downloaded my free copy off the US PS Plus overnight. Haven't played it yet, though. Too busy enjoying Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, which is awesome too and also free (was waiting for a discount on this one since it launched).

It's amazing how much better the collection of free stuff is this year compared to last year with the whole PSN hack debacle and all... My current status on this year's set of games:

Virtua Fighter 5 – Never played
inFAMOUS 2 – Already platinum on disc version. Awesome game.
Little Big Planet 2 – Already played disc version (although this one is a different region for me). Awesome game.
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One – Never played
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – Never played
Just Cause 2 – About to play now for the first time
Saints Row 2 – Never played
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – Started playing for the first time this morning. Awesome game so far.
Hard Corp: Uprising – Never played
Choplifter HD – Never Played
Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone – Never Played
Sideway NY – Already got all trophies after buying it a while back. Awesome game.

Deeku

Woo $15 Shadows of the Damned get! Plus a bunch of other stuff, all up 6 games for a little over a hundred. Not bad!

Also, asking whether Atelier Totori and Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk 2 were in stock was pretty awkward lol. Good thing they had it!

Also also, Rayman vita is raaaaaad!

Jintor

Woo $15 Shadows of the Damned get! Plus a bunch of other stuff, all up 6 games for a little over a hundred. Not bad!

Also, asking whether Atelier Totori and Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk 2 were in stock was pretty awkward lol. Good thing they had it!

Also also, Rayman vita is raaaaaad!

What did you geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet for cheeeeeeeeeap

I picked up deBlob 2 on 360 for $8.10 since the cheevos look pretty cool and I only got halfway through the PS3 copy before giving it to my cousin.

Also the uDraw tablet is fucking terrible to use.

US PSN+ freebies

AUS release is a little different;
NOPE
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One - have disc but would be nice to install and give to a friend for co-op
Just Cause 2 - have on PC would have been awesome to have a copy on the PS3 HDD ready to boot up whenever you felt like it :(
Saints Row 2 - had it on PS3 originally, also have the 360 CE.
Lara Croft GoL - have on PC put would be nice to have co-op on PS3 as it is great
Hard Corp: Uprising - looks like an awesome Contra game, want :(
Choplifter HD - only laughed at Youtubes of it
Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone - never played, looks like co-op Dead Nation
Sideway NY - have on PC from a bundle for 5c

YUP
Virtua Fighter 5 – Never played, no real interest unless the story mode is cool
inFAMOUS 2 – have on PS3, love the shit out of it and now I have a digital copy! Can put my retail copy into the AusGAF rotation if anyone wants it. I printed out a minimal cover for it so I can't be arsed trying to sell it.
Little Big Planet 2 – Never played, loved the original but too lazy to be creative
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – have on 360, loved it and then got bored with the repetition

FOR QUEEN AND COUNTRY
Darksiders - have on PC and 360, now a digital copy to grind through on PS3!
Motorstorm Apocalypse - have on PS3 so now I can offer up my retail copy to AusGAF!
Chime Super Deluxe - already have the OG version for free on PSN+ I thought? Also have on PC
Renegade Ops - have on PC, should be a fun grind on PS3 again
Outland - quirky looking platformer!
Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD - the big positive of our list! Ha ha!

So we get 2 less titles than the US.

Oh also no more PSOne or PS2 freebies makes me sad :(

A response:

@jason_rubin Verge article full of misquotes. Example: I love Saints Row, play Saints Row with my Wife, and I don't have a son. @THQ

Edit: Read the Verge article and it seems people are confusing the writer's opinion and Rubin's. e.g. It was the writer that felt too embarrassed to play it.

Choc

Banned
A response:

@jason_rubin Verge article full of misquotes. Example: I love Saints Row, play Saints Row with my Wife, and I don't have a son. @THQ

Edit: Read the Verge article and it seems people are confusing the writer's opinion and Rubin's. e.g. It was the writer that felt too embarrassed to play it.

ahah

twitter has exploded at rubin, if thats all true i feel sorry for him now

Jason rubin is going to destroy thq

Nah he was on the ball. They lost the UFC licence so they had to cut the UFC team (actually was that even before he had the power to make those decisions?) and Brian Crecente came up and told him Saints Row 3 was so embarrassed he has never played it in fear of his family finding out. As if playing it at work would be a secret shame of his for the rest of his life until he repented his sin on his death bed. Rubin simply said that Volition are capable of doing games that wouldn't embarrass Crecente. That cash cow won't be going anywhere Choc, SR4 is locked in and required to keep THQ liquid.

Also glad to see that Rubin wants to keep the Metro team.

Choc

Banned
56e5954715223c459e9b47fb2f957f3d.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/08/dinosaur-e3-faces-its-ice-age-why-esa-must-act-now/

There is much i agree with in this article. I will write a longer response about why E3 is now an abject failure (and not because of MS,EA, Ubisoft, Sony or Nintendo) later.

but the main point out of that article is very true. E3 is a consumer show masquerading as a trade show. It is in terms of the show floor as much of a business event as going to a party for example.

Behind doors, yes its very much still business and does the job. But the show floor itself is a joke now for numerous reasons. One being publishers know people get in who shouldn't get in and so limit their wares completely.

If you have shirts being given out, competitions, special celebrity guests (who aren't keynote speakers), and just the usual crap that E3 goes on with you are not a trade show, you are a consumer show. I am very open to the idea that the day after E3 wraps, becomes a consumer show for two days like Gamescom. I think some publishers would be as well.

I'm not saying E3 needs to go all business, suit up and just have chats in rooms. But, it has to adapt. E3 used to be a time to find hidden gems amongst the lot because you had kentia, and also it was cheaper for a company to attend. Now all you see is AAA and its predictable and boring sometimes.

that said, i'm not sure how they can fix it. I'd have to think long and hard on that one.

Pro tip: E3 attendance in 2012 was 45,000 approximately. In 2006 it was 65,000.

I expect next years to potentially be massive with attendees based on new hardware, but still with Gamescom coming up in its headlights and having over 100,000 attendees AND being easier to justify cost wise because of the consumer interaction AND being closer to Q4 releases. E3 needs to change.

One problem I noticed is that he (Rubin) only seems focused on the bigger AAA games and didn't mention any middle tier. IMO a mix of both is a good way of hedging bets. Sure you don't usually get big bucks but it's a great way to test new ideas and new IPs. Pretty sure the original Assassin's Creed was comparatively cheap, though likely far more costly than something like Psychonauts.

On E3, I watched a few clips of live demoes of things such as Medal of Honor. At the end of the demo there was barely any applause (not that there should be during a conference, but it was there during others). I guess even the trade are starting to get over the parade of AAA military shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom