• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
One problem I noticed is that he (Rubin) only seems focused on the bigger AAA games and didn't mention any middle tier. IMO a mix of both is a good way of hedging bets. Sure you don't usually get big bucks but it's a great way to test new ideas and new IPs. Pretty sure the original Assassin's Creed was comparatively cheap, though likely far more costly than something like Psychonauts.
He did mention the Metro series and how important he thinks they are. Not sure if they are considered AAA or not considering the budget over there.

In any case this is his first week on the job so I expect it to take at least another few days before he has a winning strategy for THQ.

Danoss

Commanderdeek, in the avatar tradition, I wasn't able to help myself after I saw something in my head.

6iKq2.jpg

I think I'm in one of those moods today, apologies in advance.

Why did you have to turn the innocent heart shaped cactus into a brown butt?? Or whatever it is.. and sticking to tradition, I hate you:)

Also, what the hell why did no one post here that Radiohead concert is streaming on youtube now????!!!!!!!! I only found out cos I accidentally clicked on the OT tab.

http://www.youtube.com/bonnaroomusicfest?feature=inp-hs-music

Little Dragon was also awesome. Looking forward to Battles and Dispatch tomorrow!

Shaneus

I picked up deBlob 2 on 360 for $8.10 since the cheevos look pretty cool and I only got halfway through the PS3 copy before giving it to my cousin.

Also the uDraw tablet is fucking terrible to use.

AUS release is a little different;
NOPE
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One - have disc but would be nice to install and give to a friend for co-op
Just Cause 2 - have on PC would have been awesome to have a copy on the PS3 HDD ready to boot up whenever you felt like it :(
Saints Row 2 - had it on PS3 originally, also have the 360 CE.
Lara Croft GoL - have on PC put would be nice to have co-op on PS3 as it is great
Hard Corp: Uprising - looks like an awesome Contra game, want :(
Choplifter HD - only laughed at Youtubes of it
Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone - never played, looks like co-op Dead Nation
Sideway NY - have on PC from a bundle for 5c

YUP
Virtua Fighter 5 – Never played, no real interest unless the story mode is cool
inFAMOUS 2 – have on PS3, love the shit out of it and now I have a digital copy! Can put my retail copy into the AusGAF rotation if anyone wants it. I printed out a minimal cover for it so I can't be arsed trying to sell it.
Little Big Planet 2 – Never played, loved the original but too lazy to be creative
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – have on 360, loved it and then got bored with the repetition

FOR QUEEN AND COUNTRY
Darksiders - have on PC and 360, now a digital copy to grind through on PS3!
Motorstorm Apocalypse - have on PS3 so now I can offer up my retail copy to AusGAF!
Chime Super Deluxe - already have the OG version for free on PSN+ I thought? Also have on PC
Renegade Ops - have on PC, should be a fun grind on PS3 again
Outland - quirky looking platformer!
Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD - the big positive of our list! Ha ha!

So we get 2 less titles than the US.

Oh also no more PSOne or PS2 freebies makes me sad :(
Man, I've been hanging to play a Motorstorm games for yonks. Thank heavens for my
friends
PSN+ account.

Edit: Thanks to Choc (apols to Vooks, I thought it was him but couldn't verify, what with GAF being down), I now have knowledge about this game and will obsess about it until it's in my cold, dead hands:
Tokyo Jungle
5C5KL.jpg

Makes that dog from Okami look like a little bitch.

Yagharek

Reptile should get vf5 since its the best fighting game EVER, not for story which it lacks entirely.

Akiras stage music is aural perfection.

Salazar

THE Hells Angels are muscling in on the Gold Coast, with the outlaw motorcycle gang planning to open a tattoo studio at Robina - right in the middle of enemy territory.

The site is less than 1.5km from another studio earmarked for Arbour Lane, which police say will be a joint operation between the Finks and the Lone Wolf club.

It has stunned senior police who fear the move could push the Gold Coast bikie clubs into all-out war.

The Hells Angels have ruthlessly taken advantage of the police crackdown on the Gold Coast chapter of the Finks by moving ahead with plans to open the studio on Robina Town Centre Drive.

The Finks cannot afford to be involved in a turf war as police push to have the club declared a criminal organisation and the Hells Angels are primed to exploit any weakness.

Both studios are in a "grey area" of bikie territory falling between the Black Uhlans and the Nomads.

rofl

Jintor

Is once a month trackwork standard in other cities? Because fuck you cityrail, I've been fucking sitting here for twenty minutes.

Deeku

Ok Sal, warhammer is alright. Gone through a couple of chapters and it's pretty fun so far. Visuals are kinda cruddy on the PS3, though. And they say space marine a lot!

Hamchan said:
Yes VF5 is the best fighting game. Anyone else playing on PSN?
Oh it has online:eek: Might download soonish, haven't played any VF in a long while.

Until I am a ninja at knots, I refuse to spend on ties.
Boooo, ties are awesome. I wish I could wear one. The knots aren't so hard once you get used to it. Or you can just slip it over your head in the morning.

Why did you have to turn the innocent heart shaped cactus into a brown butt?? Or whatever it is.. and sticking to tradition, I hate you:)
I thought it was ningyoyaki or something delicious.

Danoss

Boooo, ties are awesome. I wish I could wear one. The knots aren't so hard once you get used to it. Or you can just slip it over your head in the morning.

I don't get what's so hard about something like a windsor knot (full windsor, not the half-windsor rubbish). They look a lot nicer than the "throw it around twice and then through" knots, if they even have a name, that are ugly and terrible. The windsor knot has the bonus of coming completely undone very easily when you're done, unlike that other common and shitty knot. Shit, I learnt how to do this properly the first day winter clothing was called for in high school.

I'll wear em. I just can't bring myself to spend serious money on nice ones.

Don't tell me you have cartoon characters on yours, please. Proper ties are fantastic, even my unstylish arse has some wonderful silk ties in my wardrobe. They're like $50, and you could have some instead of some other questionable wardrobe choices. For shame.

Yagharek

But I suckkkkkkk at fighting games that aren't Soul Blade :(
I don't mind playing them if they have a wacky cool story mode, like Mortal Kombat, but I need to play on easy.

So? I'm rubbish at it, but can put together a few good moves with some characters like Jeffrey and Lau. Beating Akira and then Dural is still a real achievement for me.

But the game is always fair. It's never shit and cheating like Soul Calibur 4 (shitty darth starkiller) or 5 or Street Fighter or Ultimate MK3. VF5 is just simply a matter of different fighting styles, vibrant colours that make Outrun 2 look like film noir, and it is always a challenge to learn something new in it.

Simply put, the best fighting game this gen came out on PS3 launch day.

edit: Akira stage music

Forget contrived fighting game stories. That stage music ("Statues") has more atmosphere in it than the Mortal Kombat movie and Halcyon + on +on and JCVD in the Quest combined.

I don't get what's so hard about something like a windsor knot (full windsor, not the half-windsor rubbish).
Different knots for different fabrics, different collars, different situations and even different length necks.

Also, James Bond never trusts anyone who ties a Windsor.

Boooo, ties are awesome. I wish I could wear one.
Of course you can wear a tie! Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is an idiot!

Choc

Banned
remember this tagline guys?

shine_get.png

replace it with this

images

FINE HUNT!

edit: also i am playing as a kangaroo in Tokyo Jungle. GAME OF THE YEAR

Shaneus

Ahaha, Essendon lost? Wow. Glad I tipped Sydney.

Shame Richmond lost, though. Only because there wasn't anyone else left on the field by the end of the match. Losing Riewoldt must've hurt (I assume he didn't come back on in the second quarter?).

Edit: Choc, I must have Tokyo Jungle. Does the Japanese version really require translation? I'm itching to get it but would be worried if the Japanese was essential to play (either by way of story or actual menu navigation).

Choc

Banned
its pretty easy to figure out the survival mode without knowing Japanese

the story mode is a bit different as its a full on RPG game with levelling up and skilling animals. but you don't unlock that until fucking around with the survival mode for a while as well. The game is pretty good at using visual cues as to what you need to do.

So if you need to eat a plant, it will focus on the plant before the level begins.

Survival is kinda like a horde mode in a way, :)

its really fun. You can choose to be an animal that kills things easily, or something like a deer which is pretty much fucked and has to rely on stealth. The longer you last in the game, the more the animal levels up, and older it gets.

One of the early aims in the RPG side is to have kids, and use those kids to defend you (so yes you have to attract a lady dog and do the do). It's so japanese its crazy.

There are elements of stealth splinter cell style gameplay in this game as well. So you hide in the bushes and wait till the right mount before FINE HUNT!

So you as a piss weak deer or dog, can in the right times, take down larger animals. It's all about catching them by surprise. It also has elements of minecraft where if the animal doesn't eat for ages, it dies from hunger and as you eat food you gain levels and buff up.

It's one of the most original games i have played in a long time.

Shaneus

its pretty easy to figure out the survival mode without knowing Japanese

the story mode is a bit different as its a full on RPG game with levelling up and skilling animals. but you don't unlock that until fucking around with the survival mode for a while as well. The game is pretty good at using visual cues as to what you need to do.

So if you need to eat a plant, it will focus on the plant before the level begins.

Survival is kinda like a horde mode in a way, :)

its really fun. You can choose to be an animal that kills things easily, or something like a deer which is pretty much fucked and has to rely on stealth. The longer you last in the game, the more the animal levels up, and older it gets.

One of the early aims in the RPG side is to have kids, and use those kids to defend you (so yes you have to attract a lady dog and do the do). It's so japanese its crazy.

There are elements of stealth splinter cell style gameplay in this game as well. So you hide in the bushes and wait till the right mount before FINE HUNT!

So you as a piss weak deer or dog, can in the right times, take down larger animals. It's all about catching them by surprise. It also has elements of minecraft where if the animal doesn't eat for ages, it dies from hunger and as you eat food you gain levels and buff up.

It's one of the most original games i have played in a long time.
Great to know, thanks Choc! It sounds like I should wait for the translation, hopefully it won't be too far away(or the Jap one is so cheap I can't pass it up... which will tide me over until the translated game comes out).

Seriously, this is probably my #1 most anticipated game now. This gen, at least.

Yup, more than Forza Horizon.

Choc

Banned
Great to know, thanks Choc! It sounds like I should wait for the translation, hopefully it won't be too far away(or the Jap one is so cheap I can't pass it up... which will tide me over until the translated game comes out).

Seriously, this is probably my #1 most anticipated game now. This gen, at least.

Yup, more than Forza Horizon.

if you're nice i will try and get a 2nd JP PSN code. But you must talk about it on GAF

Deeku

The only thing going for Tokyo Jungle is that it's "original", but it's a pretty terrible game according to 2channel and various gaming blogs. So a "kusogei", ie shit game, but sometimes meaning so shit it's kinda good.

It's also cheap, like 3000 yen. I've watched videos of it and it looks pretty bad imo.

Bond is a 4-in-hand kind of guy. He thinks Windsor wearers are too flashy and thus mistrustful.
Yeah, I usually rock the 4inhand because it's just a younger knot. Also windsors or whatever don't really work with my skinny ties!

Also, Sal did you dress up in a suit and tie just to take a photo? lol

Oh wait, the link's gone...

Shaneus

The only thing going for Tokyo Jungle is that it's "original"
Did you see E3? NOTHING was original. At all. I'll lap "original" up until the cows come home because, quite frankly, I'm fucking sick of games that are either FPS, 3PS, RPG, action, driving, cinematic or a combination of all three. Platinum have (practically) been my only saviour over the past few years (save for the odd single-gem studios here and there) so if there's something else I can get into that's from a completely different studio and is wacky and fun and might even get other people into gaming (my best mate and his g/f are on their second pomeranian now, LOVED the trailers that I showed them) then I'm all for it.
but it's a pretty terrible game according 2channel and various gaming blogs. So a "kusogei", ie shit game, but sometimes meaning so shit it's kinda good.

It's also cheap, like 3000 yen. I've watched videos of it and it looks pretty bad imo.
Famitsu Japan gave it all 8's.

if you're nice i will try and get a 2nd JP PSN code. But you must talk about it on GAF
Don't go to any great lengths or anything, I can wait :) And you should know that if I'm excited about something, it's damn hard to shut me up so that's one condition I'll be able to meet, no question ;)

BTW Have you seen one of the special characters that you encounter later in the game (I guess)? It's not a flesh-and-bone animal, let's put it that way. So awesome.

midonnay

another behind >_>

hmmm..... lewis jetta is making west coast look alittle stupid (we were odds on going to pick him in the draft until a change of mind to brad shepard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom