• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any guitarists here?

I'm thinking of getting a guitar, but I'm in a difficult situation. I'm right handed in all things I do, but when I pick up a guitar, I pick it up like a left-handed guitarist would (pick in the left hand with the right hand on the fret board). It's the only way that feels comfortable and comes across as completely natural to me.

Googling online, I couldn't find an example of a right hander playing left handed. It's normally left handers playing left handed. Should I buy a right handed guitar and force myself to learn right handed or should I just go with whatever feels more natural, accepting the disadvantages (limited guitar options)?

Whatever feels more comfortable, definitely. Forcing yourself into right handedness would be more beneficial in the long run financially, but that's it. (Lefties cost a little bit more than righties.)

edit: regarding the dog talk too, I'm looking at adopting a Bordie Collie, black Labrador or a Golden Retriever. Really not sure currently, but I saw a free border collie x lab 6 months old a few months ago and it made me sad because I'm not allowed to have a dog until I move out. :(

Choc

Banned
i agree there is a lot of half arsed stuff and what i am talking about easy is probably what samsung did

such as

swipe contact left for message, right to call

etc

nice that apple copied the message person when calling feature from android to ;)

i dont mind IOS, i just think apple needs to be held to account for doing sweet fuck all to it when other phones are now in some ways light years ahead.

they will still sell a billion and never change. Apple was an innovator, now its not.

and its all very US focused. They need to stop with that shit

Advanced Siri? US only

3D Maps? US only

Traffic on maps? US Only

For FUCK SAKE THE WORLD IS NOT JUST AMERICA.

edit:

downtown new york apple maps

553425e116fa515b290a363e83cb94a3a2d73842.jpg

so just because apple has beef with google, IOS users lose out on the best maps out there

fucking stupid

jambo

Had a good long weekend.

Saw Prometheus, thought it was very good, but I'll need to watch it again. I'm hoping there are sequels.

Also did an Alien movie marathon beforehand. We did Alien and Aliens the weekend before last, and Alien³ and Alien Resurrection on Sunday.

Went to a gig on Friday as well, loving the live music in Adelaide at the moment. There's a great band called Zen Stella who are releasing an EP soon, awesome alt progy stuff.

And to keep warm...

C5otIh.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Apple have always been good at looking at what's upcoming and then polishing it and throwing it out into the mainstream. The only real innovative thing they have done was the iPhone. I don't believe anyone else was really working such a device and they pulled it off and changed the entire market in a single day.

Dynamic icons are totally a must. I fucking hate that red icon that tells me I need to load up the application to see what it's telling me.

Google seems to be doing ok but fuck android is a god damn mess. It's not even out on the majority if phones and launching it exclusively with a single phone is moronic.

Installing chrome on the shitty iMac at work so I can surf gaf in private. OH YEA!

Jintor

So do I have to pay money for plume on my shitty phone not to devour all the memory, or is that just a consequence of having a shitty phone?

So do I have to pay money for plume on my shitty phone not to devour all the memory, or is that just a consequence of having a shitty phone?

I noticed the recent update has indeed made it hungry as fuck for memory the longer you have it active. I usually kill the app after using it now. Some days it can lock my whole damn phone down.

Free version BTW.

Well, I'm pretty happy with my android. There's no way I'd get a $30 plan this good (or at all) with apple.
edit: regarding the dog talk too, I'm looking at adopting a Bordie Collie, black Labrador or a Golden Retriever. Really not sure currently, but I saw a free border collie x lab 6 months old a few months ago and it made me sad because I'm not allowed to have a dog until I move out. :(
nice choices ^^ just be aware of how much they molt, especially the labs.

Ydahs, I'm not a guitarist but I am left handed. Do whatever feels comfortable, it's not that complicated to string a guitar upside down.

nice choices ^^ just be aware of how much they molt, especially the labs.

Yeah, I'm not worried about that really. My girlfriend's dad has a border collie and he molts like crazy, he also hates being brushed, so he usually runs off before we get him. At one point I wanted a Japanese Spitz, which don't molt and don't have that 'dog smell'. You are also recommended to not wash them more than twice a year maybe because their fur is resistant to dirt and grime by genetics. :O!

yes apple built the app but it was in partnership with google maps and very good.

It is now shit. Good Job apple.

Understandable. Why fill the Android coffers when people buy and use an iPhone when they can do it themselves? That would be like Microsoft making their next console use Blu Rays.

Obviously consumers have to use an inferior map system but that is the price you pay.

zbeeb

Understandable. Why fill the Android coffers when people buy and use an iPhone when they can do it themselves? That would be like Microsoft making their next console use Blu Rays.

Obviously consumers have to use an inferior map system but that is the price you pay.

But the next xbox will use blurays!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh i just realised they didn't announce the iphone 5. After all the leaks and shit, I figured it would have been shown off.

Guess we are getting another event in a few months.

So which macbook do I get for free? Thanks tax writeoff!

Had a good long weekend.

Saw Prometheus, thought it was very good, but I'll need to watch it again. I'm hoping there are sequels.

Also did an Alien movie marathon beforehand. We did Alien and Aliens the weekend before last, and Alien³ and Alien Resurrection on Sunday.]

I watched Alien after seeing Prometheus. I've seen Aliens more times than I can count and I'd prefer to spoon my eyes out than watch 3 and Resurrection again.

There are more unanswered questions from that than I thought. So fucking good though. Definitely seeing it again this week. And I pretty much never see a movie more than once in the cinemas.

One of my favourite things about Prometheus (other than the actual movie itself) is that it's making so many of my mates watch Alien and Aliens again. Most of them either haven't seen them or haven't seen them in years.

bomma_man

So minutes after finishing my exam I realised that I did one too many questions. It was meant to be 2 questions in 2 hours, I did 3.

fmfl.

Cohsae

I have no fucking idea what's going on in Crusader Kings II. Apparently I'm supposed to press de jure claims on something and have no idea how. One of my vassals was being a punk, so I started a plot to revoke his something or other. I took out his army because mine was way bigger, then I sat outside his city for several years because apparently there's like 600 people defending it, yet his army only had like 50 or so and I slaughtered the crap out of them. He supposedly leads his army into battle every time, but no matter how many times I fight them I can't kill him apparently.
And then every single member of my family starts bitching to me about how they want a wife so I hook them up (seriously I arranged like 12 marriages), now they're bitching about wanting kids. Do I have to fucking show them where to put their dicks?! I don't even know. Now I've got like 20 people who want to be councillor, but according to their stats most of them wouldn't know their arse from their elbow.
I don't even know.

bomma_man

Always read the questions duder.

The soup store in the independent grocer in St Leonards makes the best mushroom soup.

What makes it worse was that we were told it weeks ago, but I just read it wrong, and studied on the basis of that mistake. Think it's because Corps had a similar format and that was 3. Oh well at least I'll know for next year when I have to repeat it! :/

The trailer for the great gatsby is out. I'm still of the opinion it didn't need a remake, but other than the choice of music ('no church in the wild'? really? For this movie?) and the hilarious accents, it looks alright. Maguire and DeCaprio seem look good fits for their roles. I'll probably check it out at some point, though maybe not in cinemas as I hear its getting a 3D release for some reason.

Also in the vein of showing off dogs, I present to you Taffy, the poodle:
tWtRE.png

Choc

Banned
so for those of us in sydney, does anyone recognise any sydney landmarks in that trailer or at least where it was

because it was all shot in sydney and you'd never know it

Omikron

I have no fucking idea what's going on in Crusader Kings II. Apparently I'm supposed to press de jure claims on something and have no idea how. One of my vassals was being a punk, so I started a plot to revoke his something or other. I took out his army because mine was way bigger, then I sat outside his city for several years because apparently there's like 600 people defending it, yet his army only had like 50 or so and I slaughtered the crap out of them. He supposedly leads his army into battle every time, but no matter how many times I fight them I can't kill him apparently.
And then every single member of my family starts bitching to me about how they want a wife so I hook them up (seriously I arranged like 12 marriages), now they're bitching about wanting kids. Do I have to fucking show them where to put their dicks?! I don't even know. Now I've got like 20 people who want to be councillor, but according to their stats most of them wouldn't know their arse from their elbow.
I don't even know.

lol.

Who are you playing as?

Ydahs

Chris Roe of The Ataris is right handed but plays left handed.
If you are completely new you should just try learning right handed.
You can always learn on an acounstic and just arrange the strings the left handed way.

Yeah, get any guitar and get a decent guitar shop to flip the strings over. Done.

Whatever feels more comfortable, definitely. Forcing yourself into right handedness would be more beneficial in the long run financially, but that's it. (Lefties cost a little bit more than righties.)

Thanks, I'll probably end up buying a left handed guitar within the next month. Can't wait :)

Might go with an electric guitar to start off with.

Frawdder

I don't even know.
If you haven't gone through the tutorials I highly suggest you do so before continuing on. Also, the count/duke/king you play (although playing a king first off is not something I would recommend) can make the game much harder if you don't know what's happening. The best place to start as a beginner is either the Duke of Dublin, the Duke of Munster or if you're not a fan of the Irish, the Duke of Apulia.

Pressing de jure claims means just go and attack that province and take it for yourself because, by law, you should hold that province. Depending on who you are playing as or what titles you hold you might get de jure claims on provinces that aren't yours but should be because you are the Duke/King of that duchy/kingdom. It's like if I was the King of England but the Count of Essex was independent, I would have a de jure claim on Essex because technically that belongs to the Kingdom of England.

Don't worry about trying to marry every single family member off, if they keep bothering you with events, just pick the first person you see that's fertile. The main people that you should worry about in regards to marriage is your children and grandchildren, these are the heirs of your dynasty and you need to keep the line going to keep playing. The thing about people wanting 12 children or being councillors are personal ambitions, most of the time they can be ignored because you can't control how productive couples are (well, you could find a better wife/husband for him/her but really, if it's not someone in your direct line, who cares). Similarly, some people just don't have the stats to be council members despite what they want to be, don't bother with these requests.

Join Steam chat next time you play and ask questions, there are quite a few of us that have the game now and I'm sure we would be able to answer your questions. Also, if you have lots of time to kill read this: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?589469-GUIDE-In-depth-Guide-to-CKII (you will need an account to view it though).

Jintor

Woo I have an interview for an internship! I'm going to pretend that it's not because this is being organised through my uni's legal department and probably nobody applies for this stuff!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Woo I have an interview for an internship! I'm going to pretend that it's not because this is being organised through my uni's legal department and probably nobody applies for this stuff!

congrats!

you are battling against thousands of other would be jintors, but remember. Only you have made bananaarnie spill his drink.

Choc

Banned
aww fuck, this guarantees iphone success with Gen Y again

Siri's new skills don't stop at combing the Web, controlling apps, or performing Twitter updates. The assistant can now post to Facebook in iOS as well.

Choc

Banned
so a dingo really did take her baby

edit jint want to give me some kinda indication as to whether its worth playing?

pm if you want to keep it completely unknown. i know with reviews its hard.

:)

Jintor

I know I'm going to get it, I just don't know if I'm going to go get it now or wait for bomba. Honestly, I'm thinking now. Assuming I get paid next week.

Choc

Banned
i see

perhaps i should get it as well.

:)

edit: also i think you can expect the Gooseman to be talking tokyo jungle a lot of the coming weeks. He wants that shit bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom