• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

midonnay

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/06/13/3523467.htm

Male spiders castrate themselves so their manhood doesn't weigh them down when they're fighting off competitors, say researchers.

Associate Professor Daiqin Li from the National University of Singapore, and colleagues, report their findings today in Biology Letters.

"The eunuch males are better fighters because they are lighter and they have an increased endurance," says Li, an expert in animal behaviour.

"They try to prevent the other males from mating with the female."

future pokemon move perhaps >_>

Choc

Banned
I know you're just trolling Choc, but I'm pretty sure only one of them is questionable. Where they were born is actually irrelevant.

i know, and thats why it shouldn't be called state of origin

more like

'state where i first fucking played rugby league' amirite

midonnay

wat...... isn't the whole point of a state of origin to create a superteam of players that come from that state?

otherwise....why bother?

Dead Man

It is. What's more important though. Where they were born, or where they played all of their rugby league?

Also, don't listen to this guy:

Since the annual debate has arisen, I will weigh in as someone who knows nothing about rugby. It should be the state they are from. It's the general premise of most of the marketing you see.

Choc

Banned
It is. What's more important though. Where they were born, or where they played all of their rugby league?

definition of origin

or·i·gin (ôr-jn, r-)
n.
1. The point at which something comes into existence

why dont we just use this system for international teams as well?

because its stupid. If you're born in England you play for England!

midonnay

where they were born of course >_<

who cares that they played most of their football in that state....

the whole point of a state of origin is bringing back sons to their home state.....in AFL anyways (although the concept is like sleeping beauty in that code atm).

Fredescu

It should be the state they are from.
It is. How are you interpreting "from"? Is Tim Cahill from Australia? Do you self identify as being "from" your birthplace, or "from" where you lived in your formative years? As someone for whom they are different, I say definitely the latter.

definition of origin

or·i·gin (ôr-jn, r-)
n.
Sure, the point at which their rugby league skills came into existence.

yes, the state of Origin is poor. EA should just release their games on Steam.

oops, my mistake, though someone was talking about games here.

Dead Man

It is. How are you interpreting "from"? Is Tim Cahill from Australia? Do you self identify as being "from" your birthplace, or "from" where you lived in your formative years? As someone for whom they are different, I say definitely the latter.

If someone is born in NSW and moves to QLD when they are 6 months old, that is one thing. If someone lives in NSW until they are 19 then plays in QLD that is something else. Your phrase 'formative years' captures the essence of the argument.

And as someone who was born overseas and grew up here I can relate to the fact that where you are born may no be where you are from.

Choc

Banned
It isn't. Like I said, when people ask where I'm "from" its where I did most of my high school, not the town I was born. I don't self identify as being from there at all.

it doesn't matter what you personally think fred. The definition of the word origin is the start.

The start of your birth......

yes of course you can say im from somewhere else thats different.

STATE OF FORMULATIVE YEARS 2012!

Rezbit

I would say if you were born in NSW and spent like 5 years there, then moved to QLD, you are a QLDer. You can obviously have a birthplace, but most people identify with somewhere they actually grew up/did stuff. I dunno.

Fredescu

If someone is born in NSW and moves to QLD when they are 6 months old, that is one thing. If someone lives in NSW until they are 19 then plays in QLD that is something else. Your phrase 'formative years' captures the essence of the argument.
Definitely. "where they were born of course" is a poor argument, but I'm not saying there's no grey area. The rules were actually changed this year to encompass more of these things, but it would be a bit harsh if they took affect retroactively.

it doesn't matter what you personally think fred. The definition of the word origin is the start.

The start of your birth......
The birth part is your invention choc.

Choc

Banned
Who's to say that the State of Origin is using that definition?

you cant change the dictionary! either go with what the word means, or use a different word

or·i·gin (ôr-jn, r-)
n.

Fredescu

Who's to say that the State of Origin is using that definition?
Exactly. The first two seasons of State of Origin were actually purely where they were playing football at that time.

you cant change the dictionary! either go with what the word means, or use a different word

or·i·gin (ôr-jn, r-)
n.
You keep trying to use that argument and you keep being wrong.

jambo

or·i·gin (ôr-jn, r-)
n.

Is the something the person or is the something their career?

;)

Choc

Banned
well they are halfway to having brains @ ARL HQ

Under State of Origin rules players were previously selected for the state in which they first played senior (or registered) rugby league.[19] In 2012, the NSWRL, CRL, QRL and ARLC agreed on new criteria in determining Origin eligibility, to encompass other factors, such as place of birth

should be the only one.

also

Greg Inglis was born and raised in New South Wales and also played his first senior game in New South Wales (Newcastle Hunter)

the selection criteria is a sham

Choc

Banned
Greg Inglis is the one I was referring to when I said one is questionable. He didn't play in Newcastle for very long either though.

It really shouldn't.

forgetting the other shit, if the rule is the FIRST GAME YOU PLAYED then its the FIRST GAME YOU PLAYED

Inglis should not in QLD. And so my point is proven. The entire thing stinks and is aiding QLD far to much

Omikron

What are your thoughts on Tim Cahill choc?

or

Any of the probably 10s of Australian football players that were actually BORN overseas.

Choc

Banned
What are your thoughts on Tim Cahill choc?

or

Any of the probably 10s of Australian football players that were actually BORN overseas.

yeah without those players we'd be a really bad football team no doubt.

But maybe thats the way it should be......

Fredescu

Inglis should not in QLD. And so my point is proven. The entire thing stinks and is aiding QLD far to much
The entire thing stinks because of one guy.

He wouldn't have made any difference to NSW fortunes either. It's obvious to anyone that knows anything that NSW have had shit for halves since Andrew Johns retired and that is 100% responsible for our poor showing over the last few years. QLD on the other hand have had an amazing run of great halves in Lockyer, Thurston, Cronk, and soon Prince. You need a general to bark orders and set up plays and while NSW don't have this we can never expect to win away from home.

Whinging about selection criteria just gets you rightfully laughed at by Queenslanders.

Choc

Banned
have an accident on the way to and from work? No longer eligible for workers comp in nsw

BARRY O FARREL IS A CUNT

i always thought he would be a one term wonder. This is akin to Workchoices in an attack on workers rights. And he will feel the full pain of it i think. It's not just unionists that value that insurance.

I bet if he has an accident he gets a pension

print.jpg

Seriously, this passes he is going to feel mega pain at the polls.

Choc

Banned
Would seriously put $10k on him getting a second term.

he isn't making it easy for people to continue to support him fred. Increasing speeding fines, cutting jobs, cutting workers comp benefits.

You seriously are happy with not being covered on your journey to and from work? really?

I know someone who had a very bad motorcycle accident on teh way to work. He would have been on the street without WC.

He continues being a fat cunt he will get to thatcher levels and the union based forces won't do anything, rubbish on the streets, no police except for emergencies. They've already threatened it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom