• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how close the g and b keys are I'm going to assume that's a typo?
reptile pls.
iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Reminds me I should get around to patching in all the feedback I have received on that Steam Utility.
Fuck that, finish Big Screen Mode first. It was getting pretty good!

False alarm, was some kind of software problem, fixed on reboot. I also grabbed my brother's USB charger (he has the same phone) to double check and that sucked too, but now it seems to work fine.
Also could be a firmware issue. Sucks now on ICS I have to go into settings to use my phone like a USB rather than just plug it in and go. Need to work out some way to get the USB thingy as an icon on my home screen. But I am lazy. :(

Tomorrow?, I thought Aus PSN was updated on Wednesday evenings?
Nope Thursday after I leave for work.

ksmcn.gif

BRB MUST FAP AND THEN BUY A HTPC WITH MY HONEYMOON FUND MONEY

Clipper

Off the top of my head:
Kritz
Clipper
Shanshan
Salazar
Marsh
Gazunta
Fallbackpants?

I guess it depends on what you wanna do. The valley has the mana bar, and korean bbq, city has the baverian beer garden, west end is full of hipster bars. Im not very knowledgable so perhaps someone else should decide.

What time were we thinking? While I'd really like to check out the Mana Bar, would it be suitable for dinner if that's going to be part of the meetup?

Shaneus

I wish I had a backup plan in life. That I could quit this job, go on holiday then come back and know what the fuck it is I want to do with my life, Impossible for me though.

It seems i'm now doing the same job but also i am meant to be the front counter guy for the service department. I can see that going reallllly well with my outstanding ability to communicate to humans. It might hopefully help in the long run if I decide to stick around though, so that's a plus.

This joint still has the feeling of death surrounding it. Maybe I just need to eat more thai deli.

Did Dota 2 even get an item / chest upgrade this week? I don't wanna waste my 2 keys on characters I don't play.

I now have another docs appointment on monday. Hopefully if the manhood is fixed by the next melbgaf meetup I may just stroll along after work. Get hyped.
You really need to know what software you're using before you try and establish a backup plan. At work, we use Commvault to backup our servers, unless they're being snapshotted. We used to use TSM as well, but that was a gigantic load of shit. I suppose it all depends on how easily you want to access your backups, but you could always use a PC equivalent of Apple's Time Machine... more consumer level, but I'm sure it would be more than adequate for your needs.

You really need to know what software you're using before you try and establish a backup plan. At work, we use Commvault to backup our servers, unless they're being snapshotted. We used to use TSM as well, but that was a gigantic load of shit. I suppose it all depends on how easily you want to access your backups, but you could always use a PC equivalent of Apple's Time Machine... more consumer level, but I'm sure it would be more than adequate for your needs.

I'm terrible with backups. I really just dump it all onto an external HDD and leave it at my parents or in-laws. I guess since I really don't have much that I would be upset about losing I haven't bothered to invest in the idea. I have lost all my music in the past and it was nice to rediscover it all again, as well as trim the fat from the collection.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Not computer stuff, Life backup. For when I quit and come back to no job.

I'm terrible with backups. I really just dump it all onto an external HDD and leave it at my parents or in-laws. I guess since I really don't have much that I would be upset about losing I haven't bothered to invest in the idea. I have lost all my music in the past and it was nice to rediscover it all again, as well as trim the fat from the collection.
Nothing wrong with that! It's an offsite backup! As long as you do it regularly.

Personally I just use rdiff-backup to copy my important data from my NAS (which has a redundant disk but is otherwise not backed up) to an external HDD (keeping increments for a year) once a month and leave it at work.

What time were we thinking? While I'd really like to check out the Mana Bar, would it be suitable for dinner if that's going to be part of the meetup?
There's a Grill'd across the road from Manabar. Best burger chain ever.

The Bavarian Beer Cafe over at Riverside also has a Grill'd near it
and serves food too, I guess
. Bring your clean shirt to the Bavarian though, because it's very upmarket compared to Mana Bar.

We can get Kritz and Sal wasted on schnapps!

Fredescu

Speaking of backups, a while ago I asked about Godaddy online storage. I ended up going for it and it works well enough. It took forever to upload, but now it just syncs with the folders I want it to when I update them. Now my photos and home movies are backed up first to the NAS, and then online. Pretty effortless offsite backups for $30/year.

Shaneus

Not computer stuff, Life backup. For when I quit and come back to no job.
thatsthejoke.gif.exe

PS. Guys. GUYS.
dnKmR.png

So hyped.

Speaking of backups, a while ago I asked about Godaddy online storage. I ended up going for it and it works well enough. It took forever to upload, but now it just syncs with the folders I want it to when I update them. Now my photos and home movies are backed up first to the NAS, and then online. Pretty effortless offsite backups for $30/year.
Man, I have decent enough broadband at home, I'd be stupid not to do something like that. I use dropbox, which would be best because of it's popularity (ergo, lots of apps support it) but only as a basic thing.
Does GoDaddy (or anyone else) have a thing about copyright material? Only because (with the whole DJing thing) there's a lot of music I'd be storing there.

Also, I need to get that launcher thingy going. Looks dope.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, yeah, you COULD buy your games from Bourke Street. If you wanted. I mean, whatever.

Jintor

Fuck this essay

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME, INTERDISCIPLINARY CRITICAL PERSPECTIVE BY ADOPTING A POLICY, LAW REFORM OR THEORETICAL FRAMEWORK WHILE ADDRESSING ETHICAL ISSUES ARISING FROM THE CHOSEN AREA

Brisgaf head count:
Kritz
Clipper
Shanshan
Salazar
Marsh
Gazunta
VKS (you know until I had to write it here I thought your name was ViciousSquirrelKiller :s)

Maybe:
Fallbackpants

What about x3n and bodyboarder? Who else is in Brisbane area?

There's a Grill'd across the road from Manabar. Best burger chain ever.

The Bavarian Beer Cafe over at Riverside also has a Grill'd near it
and serves food too, I guess
. Bring your clean shirt to the Bavarian though, because it's very upmarket compared to Mana Bar.

We can get Kritz and Sal wasted on schnapps!

lol, this is going to be awesome.
grill'd and schnapps are amazing.

The mana bar has great cocktails but if I remember correctly is really isn't much bigger than my bedroom.

Are you recommending that the gathering take place in your bedroom?

=o

but my bedroom has neither cocktails nor video games!

But it is really small. That said, its worth going to - at least for a look in. Erm, the mana bar that is.

EDIT:
mana_bar_opening.jpg

Actually its a fair bit bigger but its still very small.

senahorse

So I go and pickup Heavy Rain on the cheap after I decided Lollipop Chainsaw can wait till it's cheap. Put it in PS3 and I have to update it, fair enough, size of update 1.2GB...wtf, did they re-voice it or something?

edit: oh, it's waggle support and apparently new menus

jambo

So I go and pickup Heavy Rain on the cheap after I decided Lollipop Chainsaw can wait till it's cheap. Put it in PS3 and I have to update it, fair enough, size of update 1.2GB...wtf, did they re-voice it or something?

Move support wasn't it?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What are some jobs a moron could do for 40k a year at least? I might need to start looking into them.

Not sure if my back will be able to hold up with lifting iMacs these days either.

Also, new macbooks. I don't think we got our demo model so I can't check out the pretty screen.

What are some jobs a moron could do for 40k a year at least? I might need to start looking into them.

Not sure if my back will be able to hold up with lifting iMacs these days either.

Also, new macbooks. I don't think we got our demo model so I can't check out the pretty screen.

What kind of skills/ experience have you got?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why don't you do that Mac Tech thing you've been talking about?

Getting mac tech certified?

I am essentially now in the service department so that isn't far from my reach. I don't know if that's their plan for me though. Plus I would still have to do what I do right now, it wouldn't change all that much.

It's also interesting since apple themselves are taking over when it comes to resellers. I still don't expect to see any around in the next 5 years or so. Genius bar guys don't get paid too well either, 38k I think a year, Not the end of the world there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Picked up my copy of Lollipop Chainsaw from Bourke. I think Binary Domain was the last PS3 game I bought.

Fredescu

Plus I would still have to do what I do right now, it wouldn't change all that much.
Presumably having the piece of paper will let you do it somewhere else, which might get you more money. Most of the time, going external gets you more money than internal promotions, and a bit of paper makes that easier. You could also use that as a step up to some kind of help desk job which should give you a pretty clear career path.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Cookie, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about, and for the money you wanted: http://www.seek.com.au/Job/service-desk-level-1-mac-support/in/melbourne-cbd-inner-suburbs/22465184

Yea. I dunno if I could personally handle it. I guess throwing me into front counter here, if I stick around, Would give me the experience and maybe improve my communication skills etc.

I would still prefer to sit in the back not talking to people fixing shit. That typical nerd stereotype mostly applies in this situation.

I'm mentally stuck in a hole and so far I can't dig myself out of it.

Choc

Banned
Zynga stock banned from being shorted on the NASDAQ

NASDAQ applied a 24 hour ban on short sales of the company’s shares.

Fredescu

I would still prefer to sit in the back not talking to people fixing shit. That typical nerd stereotype mostly applies in this situation.
I think literally everyone has thought at some stage "work would be great if it weren't for the customers". Not many people likeit, but if you want to get anywhere you usually have to start out on the frontlines dealing with them all the time. Generally, in a technical sort of job, as you move up the ladder the less you have to deal directly with people. The flip side is, when you do it's usually more important that you do.

The front desk thing sounds like it would be good for you. More experience dealing directly with people will do wonders for your confidence. The first few months might be difficult, but it will be worth it for you in the end. No pain, no gain, and all that.

Rezbit

Okay I know there are some fashionable AusGAFfers out there (Salazar?), so what is a good place to buy shoes online from, anyone know? Had a look around the shops today and the range was woeful, so I need to hit the internet I think. Just casual shoes, nothing like dress shoes or runners.

Shaneus

:~(

Manly tears.
Sad Owen Wilson?

They probably do, but they specifically have a thing about not sharing it on high traffic sites, so I reckon you'd be ok if you didn't share it out. I don't know though. All their Ts & Cs are here: http://www.godaddy.com/legal-agreements.aspx
Cheers! Sounds like you have the option of hosting, but just as cloud storage, it's fine. As long as it's secure enough!

How I have never thought to get rid of the carrier in my status bar and shiz? goddammit.
Springtomize is your friend. So is jailbreaking. Thankfully, apparently they already have an exploit that will work on iOS6, so it won't be long after its released until we have it :D

Okay I know there are some fashionable AusGAFfers out there (Salazar?), so what is a good place to buy shoes online from, anyone know? Had a look around the shops today and the range was woeful, so I need to hit the internet I think. Just casual shoes, nothing like dress shoes or runners.
I don't like the idea of buying a pair of shoes I haven't tried on.

Probably a safe bet, my local Rivers had shit all. Seems to be pretty good prices. Yeah I agree guys, but it's just one of the shit things about living in Hobart sometimes. There is no way I'd be able to find something online then find it here.

You don't have Myer or something?

Dead Man

www.styletread.com.au
www.theiconic.com.au

I think they are owned by the same parent company, not sure.

I don't like the idea of buying a pair of shoes I haven't tried on.
Both those sites have free 100 day returns for any reason. I've bought a bunch of shoes, some didn't fit, sent them back no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom