• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

What time were people considering showing up, and what time were people leaving?

a) Dunno. Whenever Chief Shan says.
b) Dunno. I still know essentially nothing about Brisbane's geography and how its transport works. It's rather shameful, actually.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
QLD bias flows through again

You hosted two in 2011, when do we get two again? For fuck sake, the luck that QLD has is ridiculous with this series.

It is supposed to be our turn to get two becaues we didnt get two this year thanks to AFL town

I agree that is how it should work, with NSW getting 2 next year. Not how they have chosen to do it though.

Game in Melbourne every 3 years, so each side takes a turn in missing their game.

Queensland was "robbed" the same way in 2009.
2008: 2 NSW
2009: Melbourne home game for Qld
2010: 2 NSW

Fredescu

You mad about the TRUE SPORTS CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA???
Well, yeah. For Melbourne its just another trivial curiosity. Throw another major sporting event on the fire love, its getting chilly. It cheapens the whole thing to show it to people who are indifferent about it, and pretend that because we're so passionate about it that others clearly would be too with enough exposure. it's naive and reeks of an inferiority complex. "See guys? We can do sport too! Let us take it away from our loyal fans to prove it to you!" They have a team, a successful one at that. That should be enough.

a) Dunno. Whenever Chief Shan says.
b) Dunno. I still know essentially nothing about Brisbane's geography and how its transport works. It's rather shameful, actually.

lol, How did that happen?

We can either meet at 5pm and people who finish later can meet us at Grill'd, or we can meet at 6:30ish. My last bus leaves at 11.42pm and I'm happy to hang until then, but I imagine most people have work and will probably need to leave earlier. Also depends on how late things are open. If people are training it in we could meet at Central station (but bear in mind I have no idea how to get to grill'd from there).

Kritz: Here's the website for bus and train routes in Brisbane http://translink.com.au/ I'm not sure if they have an app, but I have a feeling they might.

Shaneus

melbourne should either have 1 every year making it the neutral match

or fuck off forever. It's screwing the series.

Shaneus

slight spoiler (in game music)
the music for the in game shop is the 50's song 'lollipop' lol'
Holy fuck, Choc. I didn't realised it actually had several licensed songs! But sadly, the in-game jukebox it mentioned was just for tracks in the game. However if I get bored of that (doubt it) I have a decent list which will work for this or even Dead Rising 2 :D

Have you activated the sparkle power thing yet? How fucking great is the music in that bit?!? So glad I stayed (relatively) spoiler/review free on this. Some of the surprises are awesome so far.

"I LOVE YOU TOO, NICK!" *crunch*

So much awesome.

Dead Man

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-13/few-bidders-for-27research27-whale-meat/4068756

Japan's whaling research body has failed to sell the bulk of meat harvested from its last round of what it calls research whaling, despite inviting bids months ago.

A report released by Japan's Dolphin and Whale Action Network reveals there have been 13 rounds of public auctions for the whale meat, but 900 tonnes of it has failed to sell.

That is three-quarters of all the meat harvested from the last round of so-called scientific research whaling in the north-west Pacific.

The meat sales are supposed to help cover the cost of the whaling fleet.

Japanese taxpayers have been subsidising the fleet for years because few people eat the meat, complaining it does not taste good.

So why are you doing it you fucking numpties!?!

lol, How did that happen?

We can either meet at 5pm and people who finish later can meet us at Grill'd, or we can meet at 6:30ish. My last bus leaves at 11.42pm and I'm happy to hang until then, but I imagine most people have work and will probably need to leave earlier. Also depends on how late things are open. If people are training it in we could meet at Central station (but bear in mind I have no idea how to get to grill'd from there).

Kritz: Here's the website for bus and train routes in Brisbane http://translink.com.au/ I'm not sure if they have an app, but I have a feeling they might.
OK, here's the deal:

Mana Bar is closed, so the Grill'd we'll go to will be the one at a cluster of restaurants and bars adjacent the Eagle Street Pier that contains (among other things) a Grill'd, the Bavarian Beer Cafe, Jade Buddha and TGIFs as well as a whole slew of restaurant establishments too fancy for the likes of us on a Tuesday night (except Sal, maybe).

Once Chief Shan locks in what time to meet, do so at Central Station around the corner from the ticketing station (on the ATM side, not the news agents / Maccas side). There is a bench there across from the shoe repair / key cutter place that will sit several people comfortably that's hardly ever crowded.

To get to Grill'd from Central Station, you walk out of the south-eastern entrance at the corner of Ann and Creek Streets. If you met where I suggested, you'll be at the correct end anyway. Anyway, once on that corner, walk downhill on Creek Street until you hit the river, at which point, you'll be on Eagle Street.

Cross Eagle Street and turn right. Walk about 100m or so until you hit Grill'd. The Bavarian Beer Cafe will be up the escalators next to Grill'd. People who work in the CBD, like me, can meet the rest of you there.

Damnit. Fire up Lollipop Chainsaw. First thing is, they suggest (in game!) that I knock up a zombie smashing soundtrack. So I've been doing that ever since. I now have a kick-arse soundtrack, but it's midnight :/
Yamaoka made an amazing soundtrack and you should use the music he selected! There is a whole heap of licenced stuff in there along with a ton of stuff he created especially for the game.

Jintor

I just had the weirdest dream. It involved a high-speed motorcycle/army chinnook chase, massive explosions, being kidnapped by North Koreans, trying to act like a tourist when you are a prisoner, unexpectedly friendly guards ("Do you think they'll come here and start trying to sell us fakes now?" and "What's your favourite gaming thing? I like RPS") and dreaming that I woke up and wrote it all down but actually I didn't.

Jintor

Also someone posted a fake GAF newspaper in the Iwata thread in gaming and now I want to make a tabloid broadsheet made out of GAF headlines

OK, here's the deal:

Mana Bar is closed, so the Grill'd we'll go to will be the one at a cluster of restaurants and bars adjacent the Eagle Street Pier that contains (among other things) a Grill'd, the Bavarian Beer Cafe, Jade Buddha and TGIFs as well as a whole slew of restaurant establishments too fancy for the likes of us on a Tuesday night (except Sal, maybe).

Once Chief Shan locks in what time to meet, do so at Central Station around the corner from the ticketing station (on the ATM side, not the news agents / Maccas side). There is a bench there across from the shoe repair / key cutter place that will sit several people comfortably that's hardly ever crowded.

To get to Grill'd from Central Station, you walk out of the south-eastern entrance at the corner of Ann and Creek Streets. If you met where I suggested, you'll be at the correct end anyway. Anyway, once on that corner, walk downhill on Creek Street until you hit the river, at which point, you'll be on Eagle Street.

Cross Eagle Street and turn right. Walk about 100m or so until you hit Grill'd. The Bavarian Beer Cafe will be up the escalators next to Grill'd. People who work in the CBD, like me, can meet the rest of you there.

I am keen for this, i shall join.

senahorse

Gravity Rush obtained, now I just have to wait till work is finished to play :(

Also $47.95 is a lot easier to stomach than $62.95 (Uncharted Golden Abyss) and Fifa's ungodly price of $80 or $90 (whatever stupid price it is).

Gazunta

The best thing about the BrisGAF meetup is that we can all tell stories about how much we hate Bernbaum and don't miss him AT ALL

the laughter hides the tears

Ditto for certain other BrisGAFfers who have left Brisbane you guys suck

Fredescu

I'm going to get a HTC One XL soon (known as the HTC One X ATT version in the US http://www.anandtech.com/show/5779/htc-one-x-for-att-review). If you're with Telstra, it has much faster data speeds with 4G/LTE support if you're in a 4G area, or dual channel hspa support if you're in a regular 3G area. SGS3 has neither of these things (yet), but what it does have is removable/upgradable battery and storage, which the One XL does not.

Telstra have new plans coming on July 2 and rumour is they will have less data. I don't know if they will also be cheaper.

Choc

Banned
Need to get a new phone for work. Thinking about going Android, how does the Samsung Galaxy S3 compare to other models?

it looks really good. But i would also look at HTC One XL x3n. Telstra 4g isnt the sexy white fred, it fails :(

the white looks so good. A girl in this building has one. Why would telstra go backwards in data, sigh. What a stupid decision (aside from the fact they shape instead of overcharge)

Why would telstra go backwards in data, sigh. What a stupid decision (aside from the fact they shape instead of overcharge)
Cost them less money and hopefully make customers buy more data packs which will increase revenue.

I got my Galaxy S2 on Optus and love them. At least in this town. It was a great deal at the time and I don't think they even do it for the S3 to be honest.

Fredescu

OK, unfortunately work has a contract with Optus so Telstra phones are out. Is the HTC One X the same phone without LTE?
No, different processor. The regular One X has a quad core Tegra 3, the One XL has a dual core something or other that is actually faster than the quad in a lot of cases. If you can't go with Telstra, I would get the SGS3. It also has more RAM, 2GB vs 1GB.

Choc said:
the XL means huge screen i believe
Nope, they have the same screens. The L stands for LTE.

Telstra 4g isnt the sexy white fred, it fails :(

the white looks so good. A girl in this building has one. Why would telstra go backwards in data, sigh. What a stupid decision (aside from the fact they shape instead of overcharge)
This is true, the white is dead sexy, but I figure with the way I treat phones it won't stay white for very long. I might as well cut out the middle man and go straight for grey.

I'm pretty sure they're just being stubborn about it at this point. The Japanese, stop and admit to their mistakes?
OK, here's the deal:

What time do you get off work?
Also someone posted a fake GAF newspaper in the Iwata thread in gaming and now I want to make a tabloid broadsheet made out of GAF headlines
I would read it!

Choc

Banned
my friend who lives in Brisvegas told me the state of queensland is 86 billion in debt

is this true?

makes NSW $1.9 billion a pittance.

wow it is true!

"Queensland’s public debt quadrupled from $21 billion in June 2004 to $85 billion in December 2011. Today, public debt is around $90 billion and on track for $92.5 billion by July."

I'm pretty sure they're just being stubborn about it at this point. The Japanese, stop and admit to their mistakes?

What time do you get off work?

I would read it!
5pm most days. My wife has tentatively agreed to come along as well. She calls it " the gathering of the nerds".
my friend who lives in Brisvegas told me the state of queensland is 86 billion in debt

is this true?

wow it is true!

"Queensland’s public debt quadrupled from $21 billion in June 2004 to $85 billion in December 2011. Today, public debt is around $90 billion and on track for $92.5 billion by July."
Which is why Newman's promises to slash the stamp duty and freeze car registration are so boneheaded. If he were serious about "cutting the waste", he'd keep those revenue streams and pay down some of that debt so that interest payments weren't such a huge part of the budget.

jambo

is this true?

wow it is true!

It's a bit blurry, but

ZaJkx.jpg

We also get another kick while we were down on May 22nd, when one of the employees' wives is at her pregnancy check up and is told that her insurance company has notified the doctor that it was ending at midnight on the 24th of May. When confronted, 38 Studios admitted they had been aware since the 21st of May that due to lack of payment for several months, insurance was going to be canceled on May 24th.

Heartbreaking stuff.

My husband is interviewing daily thanks to an amazing industry trying to make up for what has happened. He is a talented man, who feels somehow responsible for moving our family into this mess and wishes he could have saved this company and every person at 38 Studios' jobs. He is just trying to take away what lessons he can and move on.

Plenty of good sorts in the industry, like Epic, that will hopefully help rebuild as many lives as possible. Shouldn't be up to them though, this really should have been managed better.

Choc

Banned
Bombs of Truth

"It is a shame that certain politicians couldn't get past the need to prove a point about being against 38 Studios and see they were harming their state in the long run."

Shaneus

Yamaoka made an amazing soundtrack and you should use the music he selected! There is a whole heap of licenced stuff in there along with a ton of stuff he created especially for the game.
I was actually mistaken there. I assumed it was talking about custom soundtrack, but it's actually custom *in game* soundtrack. I do love what's in the game, but man... I wasted 2 hours knocking up the perfect "zombie smashing at high school" compilation. The Not Another Teen Movie OST featured prominently, as did White Zombie, Ministry and Soundgarden. Guess I'll have to use it to ruin the mood completely in the first Alan Wake ;)

Ah screw the blackjack. And the hookers. He he. Screw the hookers.
New 'rama in less than a week. I think.

MELBGAF
29th of June?

WHAT SAY YE:

5pm onwards beers? or earlier?

YEIGH:
Ho-Check(will get there 6pm plus)
Bananaarnie
shanshan
shaneus
Aonshinskidesu (will get there 5:30plus)
Aniseed
Omi
Jambo
Codswallop

TENTATIVEIGH BARRING ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS OR UNCERTAINTIES
evlcookie: WILL HE, WONT HE?

NEIGH:
fappenmeister: I'm not going to MelGAF i'll be washing my pubic hairs

WHAT SAY YE?
Lafiel?
Ridonkulus?
Megadrive?
Where be it? Same/similar area as before?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Smashed my last exam. Finished a three hour in one and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom