• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

have you guys seen Aisha Taylors facebook rant

wow

edit: Shaneus, EatChildren. I plan to if i have time write an import guide for Tokyo Jungle tonight and post it here.
and if you're nice, i might lend you my copy to try it out

hopefully that will give you guys an indication as to whether you want to import or not. My odds are yes, and i am HTH wherever i can if you do so.
I initially thought that you meant, a guide on how to import it. But, reading comprehension FTL, I now know you meant to somewhat "translate" it.

Don't bust your chops doing it, I'd still be getting the English one regardless (unless it's more than 12mo away) but I'm not going to stop you if you wanted to give it a try :)

Dead Man

http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2012/06/14/3524848.htm

The world's foremost internet traffic study and growth forecast, which historically has been proven very accurate, describes a further explosion of internet traffic around the world and in Australia. The findings illustrate a requirement for fibre optic cable "deep deep into the infrastructure" both for wired and wireless broadband connections.

The global study carries with it political ramifications in Australia where the opposition Coalition parties maintain that the optic fibre-based infrastructure currently being implemented by NBN Co is not needed to fulfil the promised benefits of the NBN and that suggesting so is "one big lie." However, the study further illustrates, using measured figures and reasonable growth curves, how the Coalition's alternatives won't just be unable to support the benefits to health, education, power distribution, business and society that NBN Co's current planned infrastructure will provide, but also that they won't be able to support the regular organic growth of the general internet requirements that we have now - within just four years!

Cisco's study

There are few (if any) more respected and influential broadband forecasts than Cisco's Visual Networking Index (VNI). Cisco is the company most associated with the actual infrastructure of the internet and is in the best position to measure the traffic that moves across it and, more importantly, the growth trends. These hold enormous implications for broadband infrastructure at international, national, regional, city-level and domestic scales and subsequently telcos and governments all over the world pay a great deal of attention to the study.

Different categories of Cisco's VNI report are released three times every year. They can be seen here for every country. (Note: this article ties together information delivered in two different briefings which is why some stats go to 2015 and some go up to 2016.)

For the past six years the forecasts have very closely resembled the measured figures - but ultimately they were conservative in their predictions. As such, the numbers coming from the last few forecasts, with their continued astronomical growth have huge implications for Australia's broadband infrastructure requirements with observations that broadband connection requirements will outgrow the current infrastructure by 2016.

Speaking at a recent VNI announcement was Dr Robert Pepper, Cisco's Vice President of Global Technology Policy. He has sat on the board of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the USA and currently sits on the UK's equivalent, Ofcom. In these roles he briefs governments and network operators from around the world on infrastructure, what to expect from future data requirements and modes of broadband usage based upon traffic stats and growth curves. He is an American based in the USA and has no dealings with Australian politics. Some of the key points he made were:-

That all roads point to the requirement of optic fibre being implemented deep into both wired and wireless networks.
The future is indeed wireless, but it's mostly WiFi and not 4G.
Wireless technologies need to be primarily methods of connecting to nearby fibre networks.
That Australian mobile networks will soon have to join the US and UK in offloading data onto local WiFi networks in order to avoid congestion.
That a 4G mobile user uses 28x more data than a 3G user.
That new wireless spectrum needs to be opened up as quickly as possible to cope with growth.
That as much wireless traffic as possible needs to be seamlessly offloaded onto the wired networks to avoid congestion.
There is a huge increasing requirement for low-latency data transfer and high upload speeds.
That a fibre to the node infrastructure which relies on a 'last mile' premises connection using Australia's current copper infrastructure, current HFC networks or fixed 4G-like wireless won't have the symmetry, contention ratio, bandwidth or latency to keep up with demand by 2016.
That fibre needs to be very nearby every internet connection whether wired or wireless.

The report also goes into depth examining why some countries with good infrastructure have not yet made best use of it.

Heaps more at the link.

Networking hardware provider announces report showing need for more networking hardware.

Next up: MacDonald's announces report showing people need to eat.

20120614_193043w77kp.jpg
Yessssssssssssssssssssssss. Only took a whole extra month to ship, not unexpected from Zavvi but at $8 I already guessed it would be a later shipment.

7Bfqd.gif

Grab the new Lambchop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzys1ynnLn8&feature=share

Kurt is some kind of genius.
Thanks for that, very soothing and relaxing.

I had a similar day. I'm surrounded by morons.
People around me are okay, it is when they venture out into other regions that they become corrupted with wastefulness and a need to triple hand stuff that makes the machine grind to a halt. This has been going on for a year now and I had hoped that someone in this giant organisation would think it would be a good idea to inspect and instigate a top down plan to make shit efficient and effective at some point rather than just throwing resources at band aid solutions that continually fail, dragging down those who have found success by stripping them of the ability to continue to operate in those ways in a feeble attempt to find a one-size-fits-all solution that just does not work in the world today.

Why is Queensland and WA down in such a big debt hole (in comparison to NSW)? Isn't all that mining cash flowing in or not?
Depends whose pockets that mining cash is flowing into.

Crossing the line. Shouldn't talk that kind of shit about your heads of government, just makes a mockery of the whole thing. You want to discuss politics? How about something constructive rather than some lazy shock jock shit that is peddled on 9 out of 10 stations these days.

Networking hardware provider announces report showing need for more networking hardware.

Plenty of people starve to death every year mang. They really just made that report for Abbott but thought it would be nicer to release it to everyone so he didn't feel like a silly billy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
E3 3DS trailers are up on the eStore.

midonnay

its been raining really heavy before the game...... not the best conditions for footy.

looks like west coast have too many talls to cover.

Dead Man

I should have quoted this bit too:

These massive rises in local data consumption begged the question as to whether fibre to the node as favoured by the Coalition would actually work. Pepper's response to the question of connecting each home to the nearest node using 4G-style LTE fixed wireless, as has been mooted by the Coalition was telling. Without having any knowledge of the politically-charged question, and staring as though I hadn't been paying attention to anything in his presentation he said, "It won't work... look at the figures." He added that copper can be used for fixed connections in some circumstances but that it would have to be short, high-quality and with a low contention ratio - of around 8 connections per node. This rules out Australia's existing copper infrastructure and its HFC networks, which have much higher contention ratios (as well as slow upload speeds), for being able to cope with the growth in demand either.

Feeling better now after a drink. Chivakaminisomakandarkrassssss!

Codswallop! Explain that sexy filing system you showed the other day and how I can have all my music and videos available at my fingertips looking that sexy! Assume I am a functional potato.

MW3 on 360 for $32 from LOGS
Black Ops for $27 from LOGS using the same code!
Catch up on that blistering COD opera!

Cool electronica artist she has a sampler to download for free. Very much enjoy his work.

Jealous of the Burial rep!
Been holding off on the vinyl releases as an in-law from the UK might be coming to the wedding so I am keen for her to bring it over to save $10 or so. True cheapskate. :)

Otherwise it will only be about $35 for the both after postage anyway, just glad to get a copy in my hands that doesn't have any watermarks.

And Gina is pulling some shady shit on repeatedly not reporting to ASIC.
At this point she can give the top dogs a cool million bucks a year for them to fuck off and pick on someone less national landmark worthy.

So I'm currently making a flash game prototype since I can't join jambo's GTA4 mp stuff
:(

This is my wish list for the game and hoping people might be able to pitch in some ideas. The general idea is you manage your own airport conglomerate and send planes all over the world and they travel in REAL TIME. That is, if a plane from Australia direct to LA takes 14 hours, it will take 14 hours (barring delays due to weather) to get there.

My prototype, as you can see, is scoped to be Australia only and with that, only the major cities (sans Hobart because I'm lazy and no cartoony, easily recoloured image had Tassie on it).

The end project will be a droid/iOS/browser(maybe) enabled game that you can micromanage for 30 seconds to 2 minutes then walk away from and get a notification awaiting your approval. This prototype is to see if that could possibly be fun, even with exaggerated travel times (for testing purposes).

Any thoughts?

People around me are okay, it is when they venture out into other regions that they become corrupted with wastefulness and a need to triple hand stuff that makes the machine grind to a halt. This has been going on for a year now and I had hoped that someone in this giant organisation would think it would be a good idea to inspect and instigate a top down plan to make shit efficient and effective at some point rather than just throwing resources at band aid solutions that continually fail, dragging down those who have found success by stripping them of the ability to continue to operate in those ways in a feeble attempt to find a one-size-fits-all solution that just does not work in the world today..

Multi national companies for the win.

midonnay

goddamnit another behind >_<

must be like 1 goal 15 behinds for 2 and 1/2 quarters

edit:

*maxwell smart voice*

would you believe 3 goals 15 behinds? >_>

wow, soft 50..... >_>;;

maladroid

Some absolute gifts in the Ducks' attacking 50. Good return for Carrazzo. Honourable loss. Can't say the same for the likes of Shuey, Darling, Cox..

/bitter

midonnay

naitanui 177 supercoach points

scott selwood 155

:)

pretty shit game..... Carlton had the better skills but the umpires killed their momentum in the end.

what am i looking at???
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say... it's a shitload of iPads, with an icon for every app in the store at a particular time. Probably.

First result on Google Image Search
Each year at Apple&#8217;s World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) Apple chooses different ways to highlight the top apps on the App Store. This year, Apple has a large table of iPads hooked up in sync showing a flowing stream of the top downloaded apps (worldwide) from the App Store.

A beautiful use of interconnected iPads, the end result is an amazing interactive display of the most successful apps in the world and proved to be very popular with developers:
As the stream is sorted by Icon Color, it was relatively easily to track down the Catch of the Day iPhone App which was featured as part of the top Worldwide App Stream:

Also check out their game on a T-shirt which Valve are stealing the idea for!

Shaneus

Second quarter should have been game over. 2.9, what a joke.

Finally got Kinect Adventures going. Fun! Will have to relocate the Bass though.
You had problems? Weird.

I think if you're going to be kinecting with the young adult of the family, I hear Double Fine Action Theatre is supposed to be awesome. But there may also be a sequel on the way.

And on the Double Fine tip, this Halloween you're dressing up your boy as Raz.

maladroid

Second quarter should have been game over. 2.9, what a joke.
It really should have been, and if they won based on kicking straight (19 behinds!), it would have been fine (not really, but at least respectable). Instead, they won on a 50 that wasn't there, holding the ball that wasn't there, and a holding the man that wasn't there. I suppose that's what happens when there's crowd pressure in one 50, but not the other..

/bitterbitter

Oh well, hopefully Adelaide thrash the Saints and then we'll be back in the 8.
Then back out of the 8 when Richmond thrash the Giants. :\

So I'm currently making a flash game prototype since I can't join jambo's GTA4 mp stuff
:(

Any thoughts?

If it's Flash will I need the browser or app open at all times? Also: http://itunes.apple.com/app/pocket-planes/id491994942?mt=8

Codswallop! Explain that sexy filing system you showed the other day and how I can have all my music and videos available at my fingertips looking that sexy! Assume I am a functional potato.
That is XBMC. Basically a video/music player with a really pretty front end and database behind it. If your TV, movies and music are organised well, you point the app at it, it will scrape places like IMDB and CCDB to get information and pictures for your content. There are heaps of addons and stuff too, so you can watch YouTube, live channels from other countries, stream music, and way more. The addon I linked to the other day is Advanced Launcher, which I don't use, but it allows you to set up screens of various content and launch shortcuts that way instead of using the normal Windows icons. You can have a screen of shortcuts to all your Steam games, or emulators, or any app you want really. Kind of a big screen mode since Valve won't release theirs til 2077.

If you have a lot of downloaded TV, movies or music, XBMC makes a really good (and spouse friendly!) HTPC interface. There are plenty of skins, check YouTube and you'll find heaps of people showing theirs off.

I should have quoted this bit too:
Despite my cynicism about Cisco releasing a report telling people to buy Cisco stuff, I do believe they're right.

Shaneus

Pfft. Too much effort for me to do. AND I have the GIS right-click extension.

Also check out their game on a T-shirt which Valve are stealing the idea for![/QUOTE]
They stole my idea. In fact, my Game On A T-shirt (GOAT) is already in production:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lXMKk.png

Bahahaha.
lBJch.jpg

Ieh9S.jpg

DAn1s.jpg

Seriously though, I hope that gets thrown (or wheelbarrowed) out of court. Take some fucking responsibility ffs.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/woman-stuck-on-waterslide-sues-wet-n-wild-for-400000/story-fn7x8me2-1226395141382[/url]

lol

I was kind of feeling sorry for her (Getting stuck in the pipe sounds scary) until I got to this bit:

Ms Schramm is claiming $400,000 in damages, including $250,000 for economic loss over 35 years, $21,200 in general damages and $84,654.90 for future paid care.

That's a lot of money...

Also no pics? :(

If it's Flash will I need the browser or app open at all times? Also: http://itunes.apple.com/app/pocket-planes/id491994942?mt=8

Jambo playing Pocket Planes during today inspired it. The prototype will be Flash, the proper game will be Unity or something.. something that can have LocalStorage (and not dependant on browser, like Flash's LocalStorage) and be platform independant. I had thought of using Cocos2D's new HTML5 build but that's a bit too new for me I think.

I got a map and the airports aren't loading correctly just yet, I have a github repo up but it's not worth showing just yet, code or otherwise. I literally have a shitty map of australia, some bugged airports in the top corner and a moveable camera. That's it.

Deeku

Is she actually over-weight? Can't really tell since she didn't actually get "stuck" ala homer. Would have been more funny if she got stuck at the top of the loop though lol.

That's why you need to come to the meet up Deek! You can visit wet n wild while you're here. I hear they do a discount in July-August.

Also the Big Banana is better.

Together, we should be aiming for about 600,000.

I'm sure Jintor will agree to be our lawyer. Lets do this.

Jintor

Another cycle I've discovered: addiction to "The Sims", various versions. Thankfully this appears to be like a years-long cycle, probably around two or three years. I guess maybe I need to overload on expansion packs before I get addicted.

I just love trying to make an 'ultra-sim' by basically raising them from birth as the ultimate skill-learning monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom