• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another cycle I've discovered: addiction to "The Sims", various versions. Thankfully this appears to be like a years-long cycle, probably around two or three years. I guess maybe I need to overload on expansion packs before I get addicted.

I just love trying to make an 'ultra-sim' by basically raising them from birth as the ultimate skill-learning monster

Buy all the expansions in the next steam sale. DO IT. Especially the one where you can go to Egypt and China. Because that one is great. The problem with the sims is that its so fun to build the house but then I tend to get kinda bored with their day to day life.

Deeku

That's why you need to come to the meet up Deek! You can visit wet n wild while you're here. I hear they do a discount in July-August.
But water rides don't seem fun, and I may or may not still be afraid of them. Also I don't really have fond memories of my trips to qld.

Avocado Land >
I would have totally gone to that!

I vaguely remember going to a ginger factory? Maybe it wasn't qld. It was rad though.

I remember a school geography trip to a sugar mill. The smell was suffocatingly vile.

We got taken to the XXXX brewery, which probably has something to do with my distaste for beer. There is nothing worse than being trapped in a factory that smells of hops for four hours.

Salazar

We got taken to the XXXX brewery, which probably has something to do with my distaste for beer. There is nothing worse than being trapped in a factory that smells of hops for four hours.

Yar. I do remember one afternoon waiting to catch the train home from Milton (after a morning eating chocolate, sitting at a computer whose workings I did not comprehend), and that factory smelt -- I swear -- like apple pie. It was divine.

Deeku

Hmm, best school trip was in grade 3, a three day thing to Katoomba to see all the stuff there like the sisters, scenic railway, jenolan caves etc. Worst part was the teacher (purposely) made me room with the kid I hated so we could "get along better". Didn't happen lol.

Jambo playing Pocket Planes during today inspired it. The prototype will be Flash, the proper game will be Unity or something.. something that can have LocalStorage (and not dependant on browser, like Flash's LocalStorage) and be platform independant. I had thought of using Cocos2D's new HTML5 build but that's a bit too new for me I think.

I got a map and the airports aren't loading correctly just yet, I have a github repo up but it's not worth showing just yet, code or otherwise. I literally have a shitty map of australia, some bugged airports in the top corner and a moveable camera. That's it.

I had a look at the screenshots of Pocket Planes and the one I have in mind isn't as intricate, but hey. It's just a prototype.

Hmm, best school trip was in grade 3, a three day thing to Katoomba to see all the stuff there like the sisters, scenic railway, jenolan caves etc. Worst part was the teacher (purposely) made me room with the kid I hated so we could "get along better". Didn't happen lol.

I think I went on a similar camp in grade 5. Jenolan caves are great, from what I remember. It was the best even with the kid you hated?

Damn some teachers can be so misguided sometimes. Some kids just don't get along... don't force it. One of my teachers scheduled monthly lunchtime meetings for everyone to 'talk through their problems' or something. Pretty much turned out as you'd expect.

My best school trip was probably ski trip in grade 12. Hot breakfasts every day for a week. Also skiing.

Deeku

I think I went on a similar camp in grade 5. Jenolan caves are great, from what I remember. It was the best even with the kid you hated?

Damn some teachers can be so misguided sometimes. Some kids just don't get along... don't force it. One of my teachers scheduled monthly lunchtime meetings for everyone to 'talk through their problems' or something. Pretty much turned out as you'd expect.

My best school trip was probably ski trip in grade 12. Hot breakfasts every day for a week. Also skiing.
Yeah, the best because every other trip after that was camping in the bush with snakes and stuff:/ Character building or something. I think we did have skiing and other more exotic trips as well, but they were optional "come hang out with your teachers during holidays if you want" thing.

You shouldn't be able to sue if the usual laws of physics don't apply to you. Court is for people that obey the fundamental principles of our universe.

Chances are she'd be suing for discrimination and emotional trauma if they prevented her from going on the ride in the first place.

Oh, and someone needs to tell you that it's better to stand before you try to haul your sizeable, physics-defying ass out of a tube? Fuck you.

Cookie and I have been playing some most epic games of Ticket to Ride Pocket the last couple of days. If anyone wants to join in, feel free to add me on Game Center for some three or more way action. Quote for my username.

You had problems? Weird.

I think if you're going to be kinecting with the young adult of the family, I hear Double Fine Action Theatre is supposed to be awesome. But there may also be a sequel on the way.

And on the Double Fine tip, this Halloween you're dressing up your boy as Raz.
Adventures just takes up a fuckload of space to play. The Block busting one is insane in how far you have to jump across the room so it's time to accept I won't be getting the band back together and chuck the bass back out in the garage :(

Also will be trialing the Kinect with the little guy, might still be a little too young for it. I can see him getting really frustrated as it isn't as precise as I was hoping. Bit of a disappointment.

My birthday is Halloween so we will certainly be dressing up! Raz is a great idea, I had an idea for him the other day but I forgot already. Really need to start writing my thoughts down again, this memory thing sucks.

Instead, they won on a 50 that wasn't there, holding the ball that wasn't there, and a holding the man that wasn't there. I suppose that's what happens when there's crowd pressure in one 50, but not the other..
Football! Man I hate watching football sometimes. Poor umpiring makes me rage hard.

That is XBMC. Basically a video/music player with a really pretty front end and database behind it. If your TV, movies and music are organised well, you point the app at it, it will scrape places like IMDB and CCDB to get information and pictures for your content. There are heaps of addons and stuff too, so you can watch YouTube, live channels from other countries, stream music, and way more. The addon I linked to the other day is Advanced Launcher, which I don't use, but it allows you to set up screens of various content and launch shortcuts that way instead of using the normal Windows icons. You can have a screen of shortcuts to all your Steam games, or emulators, or any app you want really. Kind of a big screen mode since Valve won't release theirs til 2077.

If you have a lot of downloaded TV, movies or music, XBMC makes a really good (and spouse friendly!) HTPC interface. There are plenty of skins, check YouTube and you'll find heaps of people showing theirs off.
But how do I get it running? Remember, I am a potato. Will this experience cost a lot of money?

so lollipop has

oh mickey your so fine your so fine you blow my mind hey mickey

goty
Lollipop has Yamaoka.

GOTY.

That seems like an incredibly irresponsible thing for a school to do! Hey kids! Look at all this beeeeeeeeeeer! You like beer? You should go drink some beer after this!

But how do I get it running? Remember, I am a potato. Will this experience cost a lot of money?
Potatoes don't have fingers. Going to be hard to type.

If you have a PC you can hook up to the TV, you already have the hardware you need (or if you're OK with watching the content on the PC, then you don't need to do anything on the hardware side). Download the software (it's free) from the website, install it (the defaults will be fine). Then just point it towards your content.

Waste some of your evil employer's time and money and read the Quick Start Guide. A basic setup is straightforward, more advanced ones require a little more effort.

Edit: I'm using the Aeon Nox skin, here's a couple of videos showing it off. Mine's the newer version so it looks a little different but you get the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDuzobqPq4 / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMPBdgBd6Sc

Jintor

Buy all the expansions in the next steam sale. DO IT. Especially the one where you can go to Egypt and China. Because that one is great. The problem with the sims is that its so fun to build the house but then I tend to get kinda bored with their day to day life.

I picked up Ambitions, Generations and whatever the Late Night one is with high-rises. I have to say I'm a lot more on board with the 'go to any lot with a minimum of loading' than I was the first time around, it feels so natural here. And the moodlet system is great. I just wish the damn thing didn't just all wrap around to a near-binary mood "Good/bad" bar.

Screw you bastards for turning me onto Crusader Kings 2.
I spend half of last night trying to unify Ireland under my control before my heir rebelled, lost the war and died in prison. Then my hussy of a wife refused to have another son and some Portuguese bastard claimed the throne of Munster. All in the space of like 100 years.

I put so much time into getting absolutely nowhere. I you can be damn sure I'll be doing it again tonight

I really need to read these chapters for my exam tomorrow, but every time I look at the book I get sleepy. Its not even something boring, its really interesting! Come on body, not now..

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just went to the new apartment! Was so nice to have my own room and a door to close!!!

Back to work now, the house mate and I are going to head back there tonight in the dark for a beer or 3 to celebrate! And then to ikea tomorrow to buy a 2nd chair!!

I picked up Ambitions, Generations and whatever the Late Night one is with high-rises. I have to say I'm a lot more on board with the 'go to any lot with a minimum of loading' than I was the first time around, it feels so natural here. And the moodlet system is great. I just wish the damn thing didn't just all wrap around to a near-binary mood "Good/bad" bar.
What annoys me is how long it takes to do anything. If your sim needs to work and the alarm goes off an hour before they leave you have time to let them have a shower OR go to the toilet, and you can forget about breakfast entirely.

Jintor

What annoys me is how long it takes to do anything. If your sim needs to work and the alarm goes off an hour before they leave you have time to let them have a shower OR go to the toilet, and you can forget about breakfast entirely.

Yeah, that really pisses me off. In combination with the fucking routing errors where Sims take the dumbest most inconvenient paths to get to things, or get stuck in doors, or decide that 'this large open space is too shitty to sit down and read to my kid, I'm going to do it in the fucking middle of the kitchen in front of the fridge', or in one case are unable to play guitar in an apartment because they want to route off the map to play it for some goddamn reason.

Australian retail is lucky I'm delirious with essay fatigue because I just bought Lollipop Chainsaw for $70 and I still think that's super overpriced. But Sudaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Jintor

Fuckin' pick up CoE already people

556802_475858285776963_1079166928_n.jpg

I can't decide if this is better or worse than that time I fucked up and let 'Australain' onto the PCPP cover.

Salazar

A FEDERAL MP has expressed his shock at the Bronx-like security at a Gold Coast service station on the same day his LNP state colleagues scrapped a long-awaited police beat at Burleigh Heads.

Fadden MP Stuart Robert yesterday said he stopped at a Nerang service station on Wednesday night and was disappointed to find the store was locked and he had to buy milk through a small barred window and metal box.

"I thought, 'This is outrageous. This is not how a Gold Coast community looks and feels'," he said.

I'm fucking dying.

That's Nerang for you, clown. Has been for a long time.

Salazar

Campbells going to fuck qld up and they will be behind the rest of australia by 20 years again

Yep.

He's essentially convinced he can cut the public service in half.

And the pissant gremlin keeps pretending that he has some kind of compunction about eliminating "front line services". What's a fucken police beat then, you fucking wimp.

Choc

Banned
Two things

Sydney radio station 2GB, the former partner of failed Melbourne talkback station MTR, has been found to have breached the broadcasting code over Alan Jones' claim that "human beings produce 0.001 per cent of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...house-claim-20120615-20egz.html#ixzz1xpkjxixL

IN A further blurring of the line between reality TV and reality, a MasterChef restaurant is set to open in Sydney.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...e-real-deal-20120614-20d5o.html#ixzz1xpko2eER

senahorse

Alan Jones is a dipshit, and so is anyone that believes anything that comes out of his pie-hole. I remember last year he said something along the lines of the NBN being old technology because there was something new coming that used lasers...

Pfft civil servants? What do they do apart from cost the tax payer money. (This is sarcasm in case anyone was concerned.) And if the unemployment rate goes up will government job cuts be blamed or the carbon tax?

I'm fucking dying.

That's Nerang for you, clown. Has been for a long time.

That was a fucking weird story. Aren't those windows everywhere? I mean sure I live in Ipswich, but I've seen those night service windows at servos in heaps of places.

But is it too wide, or too tall ?

Those fucking Americans bringing their Big Macs and Cheeseburgers over here, making our politicians so fat and bloated. If we all just ate rice like our buddies up in China everything would be so much better.

But then we would be considered too tall as well so I don't know. I can't give all the answers.

Funny that
Work is going to XXXX brewery tonight.

I am not going because it is XXXX. lol

Shan did u decide on date for meet?

Shan did u decide on date for meet?

Indeed.

Here is the plan so far:
Brisgaf, 3rd of July
There will be Grill'd, there will be schnapps.

Meet at 5:30pm at Central Station around the corner from the ticketing station (on the ATM side, not the news agents / Maccas side). There is a bench there across from the shoe repair / key cutter place that will sit several people comfortably that's hardly ever crowded.

VKS said:
To get to Grill'd from Central Station, you walk out of the south-eastern entrance at the corner of Ann and Creek Streets. If you met where I suggested, you'll be at the correct end anyway. Anyway, once on that corner, walk downhill on Creek Street until you hit the river, at which point, you'll be on Eagle Street.

Cross Eagle Street and turn right. Walk about 100m or so until you hit Grill'd. The Bavarian Beer Cafe will be up the escalators next to Grill'd. People who work in the CBD, like me, can meet the rest of you there.

Transport info here: http://translink.com.au/

head count:
Kritz
Clipper
Shanshan
Salazar
Marsh
Gazunta
VKS + waifu
Rlan (after 6pm)

Maybe:
Fallbackpants