• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. Take $400 off that and you'll still be able to get a beast.

Great. The main components that I'm looking at (and that I actually know a little about), is the CPU and GPU. In terms of CPU what are the general thoughts about getting a SandyBridge vs Ivy? I know the Ivy is about 10% faster at the same clocks but I read that the Sandy OC's much better (and I guess it might be cheaper)?

I'll be looking to go pretty high end with the GPU, with the 670 catching my eye. It's within 10-15% of the 680 in terms of performance, right?

Don't have a clue about all the other components as I never needed to as a Mac user. I'll read up about the other stuff and get AusGAF recommendations when I'm ready to build.

Everyone now seems to recommend Ivy since there isn't much of a price increase. NVIDIA has some moneyhatting and more reliable drivers for a little more price.

I still hold that Justin McElroy Skyrim gif was an obvious joke though.
Yeah that was just a funny joke to play on people who couldn't access the game yet. His Nier review was much much MUCH more offensive.

So I've never built a PC before and I'm looking at giving it a go over the next month or so. I've checked out the Neogaf PC thread but i think I'm looking for even more basic info. Does anyone know of a good resource to read up about the basics of building a computer and all the components?

Now I just need to sell this iMac so I have enough money, I want to make the transition to a hardcore PC gamer, the consoles just don't cut it for me anymore (even after gaming on my iMac). Cheers
No resource really needed! I built my first PC back in September at it was strangely easy. As long as you go for a modular power supply there really isn't anything that can go wrong, even the CPU cooler wasn't the nightmare I was expecting. It was basically plug everything in and done.

I think I spent $1200 all up, and that was with $260 for an SSD (which now goes for $120 :/ ) so you will have heaps left over!

midonnay

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...to-gina-rinehart/story-e6frg996-1226398955759

Gina Rinehart is believed to have asked for three board seats at Fairfax Media and the unfettered right to hire and fire editors.

goodnight sweet prince....

looks like the rumours that she is a zealot following in the vein of Lang Hancock's manifesto (Wake Up Australia) is coming to fruition. It talked about the mining industry taking control of the media to limit the power of government. (to meddle with their business)

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/...th-and-medical-reading-from-the-conversation/

Gina’s father, Lang Hancock argued: “We can change the situation so as to limit the power of government,” before concluding: “it could be broken by obtaining control of the media and then educating the public”.

And on the miners’ right to mine anywhere, he wrote: “Nothing should be sacred from mining whether it’s your ground, my ground, the blackfellow’s ground or anybody else’s. So the question of Aboriginal land rights and things of this nature shouldn’t exist.”

Shaneus

Holy shit, I never realised that it was McElroy in that Skyrim spinning gif... I just remember it being a reviewer from Joystiq. Yikes.

Fredescu

In terms of CPU what are the general thoughts about getting a SandyBridge vs Ivy? I know the Ivy is about 10% faster at the same clocks but I read that the Sandy OC's much better (and I guess it might be cheaper)?
Go Ivy. 3570K is like $20 more than 2500K and overclocking performance is always a crapshoot from chip to chip. Not worth banking on when you know that every stock 3570k is going to be faster than every stock 2500k.

I'll be looking to go pretty high end with the GPU, with the 670 catching my eye. It's within 10-15% of the 680 in terms of performance, right?
Anandtech Bench is handy when trying to compare performance of various things: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372

I think you're right in aiming for the 670 over the 680 though.

You're colon is missing. You should see someone about that.
Luckily my doctor makes house calls.

You've gained additional apostrophes. It's probably something in the water.
GODDAMMIT!!

Okay that is awesome. Pretty much what I think at 2am full of scotch, especially the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.
Yeah. Me likey very much, too. I don't even have to be drunk to think it, either.

Fuck you and your positivity. Seriously.

Edit: Bahaha, my browser seems to think the same thing. Oh wait, that's just you being a naff prick and not knowing how colons and slashes work. I'll tell you what, kiddo. I'll give you a slash right up YOUR colon if you don't stop being so... you.
Sounds like someone needs a hug. Need a hug, big guy? Well fuck you and you neediness. Seriously.

Truth be told, I thought of Vince when I read it. Sure, I think of Vince at most points of my day, this time more so than usual.

Clipper

OK, so BrisGaf, it looks like, in addition to the dinner/drinks on Tuesday the 3rd, we will also be doing a board games night on Wednesday the 4th. Location will likely be in Toowong, but if anybody has a different place that might be good, let us know. Currently, Marshmellow, shanshan310 and I are in for this, is anybody else interested?

Available games will likely be Uncharted, Game of Thrones and Munchkin. Perhaps more.

OK, so BrisGaf, it looks like, in addition to the dinner/drinks on Tuesday the 3rd, we will also be doing a board games night on Wednesday the 4th. Location will likely be in Toowong, but if anybody has a different place that might be good, let us know. Currently, Marshmellow, shanshan310 and I are in for this, is anybody else interested?

Available games will likely be Uncharted, Game of Thrones and Munchkin. Perhaps more.

Taking the chance to advertise again:

Brisgaf, 3rd of July
There will be Grill'd, there will be schnapps.

Meet at 5:30pm at Central Station around the corner from the ticketing station (on the ATM side, not the news agents / Maccas side). There is a bench there across from the shoe repair / key cutter place that will sit several people comfortably that's hardly ever crowded.

VKS said:
To get to Grill'd from Central Station, you walk out of the south-eastern entrance at the corner of Ann and Creek Streets. If you met where I suggested, you'll be at the correct end anyway. Anyway, once on that corner, walk downhill on Creek Street until you hit the river, at which point, you'll be on Eagle Street.

Cross Eagle Street and turn right. Walk about 100m or so until you hit Grill'd. The Bavarian Beer Cafe will be up the escalators next to Grill'd. People who work in the CBD, like me, can meet the rest of you there.

Transport info here: http://translink.com.au/

head count:
Kritz
Clipper
Shanshan
Salazar
Marsh
Gazunta
VKS + waifu
Rlan (after 6pm)

Maybe:
Fallbackpants
ClivePwned
CrazedProfessional
Bodyboarder

BOARD GAMES ON THE FOURTH.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...to-gina-rinehart/story-e6frg996-1226398955759

goodnight sweet prince....

looks like the rumours that she is a zealot following in the vein of Lang Hancock's manifesto (Wake Up Australia) is coming to fruition. It talked about the mining industry taking control of the media to limit the power of government. (to meddle with their business)

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/...th-and-medical-reading-from-the-conversation/

I don't think that's a rumour. I'm pretty sure she's been fully on board the Lang Hancock extreme right way mentalathon. She used to be the hostess on the private flights Hancock used to to influence pollies etc.

I didn't think she was that overweight...

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn

Yagharek

Oh speaking of buying new PCs shan ...

I went to JB last time I bought a PC (well, last 2 times) and the person who went through it all was ... shock horror ... a woman. Who probably knew more than me about PCs anyway.

it was a mac though, so it may not count as a real PC, but they did also help us when buying cameras so whatever

I dont get why people are so hung up on gender (ie assuming someone can or cant do something). These days pretty much anyone can be good at something, provided they have the opportunity and interest in it.

Yagharek

One more ...

Speaking of anecdotes, one of the best Halo players I met when I was working retail was a woman. She was also in her 80s. Finished it on Legendary many times, too.

I bought driver ><

Oh speaking of buying new PCs shan ...

I went to JB last time I bought a PC (well, last 2 times) and the person who went through it all was ... shock horror ... a woman. Who probably knew more than me about PCs anyway.

it was a mac though, so it may not count as a real PC, but they did also help us when buying cameras so whatever

I dont get why people are so hung up on gender (ie assuming someone can or cant do something). These days pretty much anyone can be good at something, provided they have the opportunity and interest in it.

Yeah there are a lot of women at JB hifi!

I don't get it either =/ But I'm glad its becoming less of a problem. Other than some people looking uninformed, I don't think I've ever had too much trouble with people like that.

This thread is changing my opinion of some gaffers though. lol. I don't think I can continue to wade through the 'but she should have said something!'s and the 'but where's the EVIDENCE's much longer..

jambo

Sooo...

cAECx.png

https://twitter.com/coljac/status/214673355272503297

Shaneus

Holy fuyck, is that real? REALY? FAHFA GD>A ASFAKJ RGLDFB<DF>ZBDF

hot coffee

I bought driver ><
Just now? Good work, you won't regret it. It's especially awesome if you've seen They Live! before. If not, you must rectify that ASAP.

As should everyone else.

AusGAF: Have YOU seen They Live!?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Taking the chance to advertise again:

Brisgaf, 3rd of July
There will be Grill'd, there will be schnapps.

Meet at 5:30pm at Central Station around the corner from the ticketing station (on the ATM side, not the news agents / Maccas side). There is a bench there across from the shoe repair / key cutter place that will sit several people comfortably that's hardly ever crowded.

Transport info here: http://translink.com.au/

head count:
Kritz
Clipper
Shanshan
Salazar
Marsh
Gazunta
VKS + waifu
Rlan (after 6pm)

Maybe:
Fallbackpants
ClivePwned
CrazedProfessional
Bodyboarder

BOARD GAMES ON THE FOURTH.

i'll give you a dollar if you post the melb gaf one every time you post this one (totalling of one dollar)

Jintor

Of course retailers can't actually sell R18+ games until the corresponding enforcement legislation is changed in each of the States and Territories but still

We're finally adults you guys. Next year at least. Or whenever each state decides we are.

Got into bed. Realised I wanted to buy Driver:SF, but it was cold out of bed. Steam Mobile to the rescue! The future is truly here.

Approved and rejected a few requests for @AusGAF on Twitter. If I didn't recognise you I rejected it, if you're a GAF member and want to follow @AusGAF, that's cool, just send me a PM detailing your Twitter account and I'll approve it.

Came last in a game of TTR Pocket with evlcookie and roosters93. Soundly won the game following that. If anyone else has it and wants to join in on a game, I'm sure the more the merrier.

Choc

Banned
Of course retailers can't actually sell R18+ games until the corresponding enforcement legislation is changed in each of the States and Territories but still

Will no longer have games RC'd (except extreme cases)

meaning guess the fuck what, you can import and customs act wont apply

thats all we needed.

edit: i know a few AU publishers who will be sharing some wine tonight, there was numerous games coming up in Q1 next year that had concerns around them.

Real reason for Q1 DELAYS EXPOSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom