• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yeah par files are a godsend. The 1TB plan is tempting.

Yea it does look awesome. I'm on the unlimited yearly plan for $100 and I'm thinking of switching to the 1tb plan. I don't think I use 1tb a year although my yearly renewal isn't up until the end of the year. It's a shame the unlimited plan doesn't track how much you have downloaded, would make trying to figure it out easier.

Kritz

Banned
Finished Mass Effect. Y'know, for a while there, a 4/5 seemed like a decent score. Not so much now that I've finished it.

Not a story spoiler but some people may not like to read it:
Play the multiplayer.

A minor spoiler expanding on the previous spoiler:
Get >4000 actual galactic readiness. The bar visually caps out at about 3000 if you do everything. You want 4000 or 5000 actual readiness.

Actual fucking spoiler expanding on the previous two semi-spoilers:
Your character will live if you choose one of the endings, but only if you do this.

Come into work after a long weekend. One of the guys here has decided it would be smart to add another group of users to have access to our web server. And has decided to do it at the root level and figured it's easier to propagate the permissions than to do it properly.

And now a heap of stuff that needs special permissions is stuffed, and none of them are in so I don't even know who to blame yet (but given the way it's been done I can guess).

Yea it does look awesome. I'm on the unlimited yearly plan for $100 and I'm thinking of switching to the 1tb plan. I don't think I use 1tb a year although my yearly renewal isn't up until the end of the year. It's a shame the unlimited plan doesn't track how much you have downloaded, would make trying to figure it out easier.
If you're using SABnzbd, that tracks your total downloads ever. I'm on the same Astraweb plan (annual one) and it's great.

Jezabel

savoury shapes > pizza shapes.

boo-google-boo.gif

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If you're using SABnzbd, that tracks your total downloads ever. I'm on the same Astraweb plan (annual one) and it's great.

Yea i've changed sab so many times though that it's never kept a single count. I would have to go back over last years net usage and total it all up then try and figure out how much would have been via usenet content.

I have no issues with modifying ME3 to get that DLC character. You aren't getting the actual cutscenes or missions from it either. If those are found to be in the actual game then holy shit, that will be hilarious.

Omikron

Amazing the things people come up with so they can feel like their actions are justified. Is it seriously that hard to be honest with yourself?

I mean, the petrol's already in the tank, I'm just tweaking the system a bit when I drive off without paying for it.

Heh.

I think the major problem is people struggle to adapt their mindset to a digital product actually being quite different to that of a physical one. But whatever.

Yeah should last a while. Would like the unlimited plan but not on unlimited adsl so kinda pointless for me.

Choc

Banned
This thread is amusing, if just for the shitty analogies and justifications to 'modifying' a game to access payable content.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466193

:)

MAn, only three pages in and you have gems like -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35927901&postcount=193 :lol

i guess they think that buying windows 7 home and unlocking ultimate via registry hacks is legal as well

BECAUSE ITS ON THE DISC

rofl

some guy reckons the part of EULAs that mentions licensed not own never holds up in court. What a FUCKING IDIOT

Fredescu

I think the major problem is people struggle to adapt their mindset to a digital product actually being quite different to that of a physical one. But whatever.
Yeah, the vast majority of enterprise level software has various license levels with stuff locked away on the disk based on the license you purchased. It's different for kids and their toys apparently. That doesn't make what Bioware did any less stupid though. They're so clueless when it comes to PR.

Choc

Banned
Yeah, the vast majority of enterprise level software has various license levels with stuff locked away on the disk based on the license you purchased. It's different for kids and their toys apparently. That doesn't make what Bioware did any less stupid though. They're so clueless when it comes to PR.

Except it wasn't bioware =D

it was Capbomb

Stackboy

I had a date on the weekend with this girl I met on eHarmony. She was nice and we got along fine, but no spark so I won't be seeing her again. In fact I'm quitting eHarmony because I had a 3 month cheap deal and now they are charging too much.

I am also heading to America in under 2 weeks for what is going to be an awesome month.

SSX is still my chillout game. Wouldn't surprise me if I'm still playing in a years time.

Fredescu

Correct. The character model, textures etc and possibly generic voices are on-disk, but the actual mission and content are not.
Apparently that doesn't change the argument!

i just find it baffling that people are so acceptive of DLC when you have to go through the inconvenience of downloading some file which the publisher probably left off on purpose.

i dont want to be blunt but are you guys really this stupid? you guys rather them omit the data on the disc purposely just so you can essentially be 'fooled' into thinking that you got what you paid for?

I find acceptiveness baffling too!

Reggie's thread? :S
Did you miss this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466248

Course my birthday post had to be the last post on the last page. :lol
Bappy Hirthday!

Apparently that doesn't change the argument!
I find acceptiveness baffling too!
man the ignorance of the understanding of the Prothean DLC mission is reaching critical levels.

i just find it baffling that people are so acceptive of DLC when you have to go through the inconvenience of downloading some file which the publisher probably left off on purpose.

i dont want to be blunt but are you guys really this stupid? you guys rather them omit the data on the disc purposely just so you can essentially be 'fooled' into thinking that you got what you paid for?
For fucks sake! This is moronic stuff. You can't assume to know if a publisher is withholding content without some kind of proof. If it is on the disc then you can expect it to be planned DLC from at least 12 months previous. If it isn't on the disc you can expect it to have been developed after the main game had been wrapped up. That is just going by common sense thinking if you have an understanding of development.

I watch in amazement when i see people arguing whether or not dlc is acceptable if its on the disc or not. Publishers/developers have control over this. the issue is whether you support or dont support DLC, arguing about the form of delivery is silly.
Ah, so it turns out he isn't even talking about the argument. He is just flat out against DLC.

jambo

First day back at work in a week and a half and it's already taking it out of me.

Had to stop taking the steroids for Glandular Fever yesterday, you can only take them for 5-6 days it seems. Hopefully I make it through today.

Nice present waiting for me when I got in at least...

ZLlHll.jpg

<3 Choc

Yeah, it's the classic non-falsifiable position of the conspiracy theorist.

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"

>_<

Anyway it is only such a big issue at the moment because;

a) People can play SFxTekken with an extra 12 fighters as they are fully featured on the disc and only require an unlock code.

b) The Mass Effect series has gone from; no day one DLC in ME1, day one and continuing DLC for new owners of ME2 or for purchase, day one DLC for Collectors Edition owners of ME3 or for purchase by used owners or any other edition of the game (OmniBlade edition or Standard Edition).

Basically people feel like they are getting taken for a ride and that things will only get more focused on profit maximisation rather than on giving gamers a complete edition of a game at release.
Mostly worry at this point.

The argument that it needs to be on disc in order to avoid download times from PSN/XBL is stupid. You can't wait 20-60 minutes for a download of new content that should be coming after the game has already been released?

I still think day one DLC should be free for purchasers of the game, even if it is only available for free for the first 2-3 weeks of the release to give gamers more reason to spend $60 on a game rather than wait for the price drop to under $30 after 8 weeks.

Rezbit

DLC sucks. I only really like it when it's old school expansion pack style - Ballad of Gay Tony, Shivering Isles, that sort of thing.

Man how awesome was Lord of Destruction as an expansion. So good.

Yagharek

Basically people feel like they are getting taken for a ride and that things will only get more focused on profit maximisation rather than on giving gamers a complete edition of a game at release.
Mostly worry at this point.

The argument that it needs to be on disc in order to avoid download times from PSN/XBL is stupid. You can't wait 20-60 minutes for a download of new content that should be coming after the game has already been released?

I still think day one DLC should be free for purchasers of the game, even if it is only available for free for the first 2-3 weeks of the release to give gamers more reason to spend $60 on a game rather than wait for the price drop to under $30 after 8 weeks.

DLC sucks. I only really like it when it's old school expansion pack style - Ballad of Gay Tony, Shivering Isles, that sort of thing.

Just on the topic of DLC - my concern is purely from the point of online activation and requirement of the content or unlock codes to be supported in future. I don't like the fact that a game I buy and own now may be unplayable in whole or in part in a couple of years when the servers for the extra content or content authentication are switched off.

What I want is the ability to play and enjoy a game, in full, in 5 or 10 years if I so choose.
I can't do that with PGR2 tracks, or ToeJam and Earl 3 or any XBox 1 game with DLC. I cant do that with any Capcom PSN game. Catwoman DLC will not be playable when 360/PSN authentication is removed next gen. This will start applying to more and more games in future.

What I would buy, without fail, is a game that has *everything* on the disc. All content a la a GOTY edition, but on top of that it requires *no authentication*.

I already get that with Wii games and games from Ps2/GC and earlier. I can play complete editions of SMG2, MGS3 Subsistence and Ocarina of Time any time I want and will still be able to do so in 20 years if I so choose.

Publishers are actively destroying their retro legacy, and there will always be a sense of nostalgia which can never be satisfied for a lot of today's games.

And I think that is disappointing.

But then how would they milk their old franchises next generation Vince? Gotta resell those 360/PS3 retro packs when we move onto the PS5 ;)

Dark Forces II: Mysteries of the Sith. Yum yum.

Also RTS expansion packs were always awesome back in the day. Loved the shit out of RoN: Thrones & Patriots.

Choc

Banned
One thing that disappoints me is that in 10-15 years when i'd like to show my boy/girl journey as an amazing game experience from back in the day

i won't be able to

as

-ps3s will be long gone
-as will ps3 psn

:(

but i could potentially show them Super Mario Bros

thats a real shame (not that SMB is bad, that we cant show todays games in 20 years)

Omikron

I take that point on board Vince, but I buy on PC only pretty much (apart from owning some Nintendo products) and for the most part (ie. I can't think of any situations) DLC content has never gone down and been broken. Could be wrong however. Same with everything, pick your platform of choice carefully, choices matter.

As for the Wii point... bought anything on the Virtual Console? :)

Fredescu

I take that point on board Vince, but I buy on PC only pretty much (apart from owning some Nintendo products) and for the most part (ie. I can't think of any situations) DLC content has never gone down and been broken.
It's not that it's never gone down and been broken, it's that pirates have always got your back on PC. If that stuff does go down you can be pretty sure you'll be able to source a copy, and most likely run it on current hardware. Nostalgia for console games is great but you have to keep a cupboard full of old hardware and hope they don't break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom