• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
What? A relationship is dating. There is no difference between the two. What the fuck did you do with your wife before you were married?

Hi this is <wife name>
Oh how long have you two been dating for?
7 months so far.

How many times did you get asked that question In your relationship? A shitload I imagine. Others could have asked how long you have been in a relationship for. It's the same damn thing.

i was asked how long we've been together

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
[/B]

No doubt. What im saying is that without that, females put up MASSIVE brick walls that you need to break down. We've all had it done to us ;)

Rez, on your points about platonic relationships, (and please don't take this the wrong way)

1) Do you think its possibly because you can't assume a guy is gay? and so you need to dig a bit to see what the go is?

2) Guys tend to assume girls are not gay and so assume they want a man. That's possibly why guys can just jump into asking a girl out?

I imagine with being gay, that can be more difficult? (unless you are at a group or location where you know everyone is gay)?

edit: also fwiw, a friend who is a girl told me about the 'want what they can't have' scenario. Apparently its pretty common amongst females. So it wasn't me just going on a tangent.

That's a fair point. I never assume anyone is gay. It's a self-defense mechanism, if nothing else. But the situation you're talking about still never really occurs to me, even if I know the guy is into dudes. Well, not for -- uh -- dates, anyway.

--

Interestingly, I've been in situations -- and this looks terrible in text but see this paragraph through and don't extrapolate it to mean anything too crazy -- where I've essentially been the woman-half of the typical "female friend-zones the male trying to advance a friendship" scenario. I don't think it's an inherently female-centric behavior. It's just the normal human response to someone abruptly trying to inject themselves into your life. Often people, and I'm certainly like this, feel very uncomfortable when the balance of power in an exchange is thrown at them. Especially if they're used to being on the other side.

I suspect when abruptly faced with advancing things further, when the other party has shown no real prior interest, people like me think a variant of the following in about half a second:

"Look, I know how this is going to go. I know that you idolise me. But the feelings aren't mutual, so even if we go on a date, you're putting me in the position where I'm ultimately going to have to be the bad guy. I'm going to have to tell you that I don't feel the same way, and that the person you're idolising doesn't even really exist. You're going to start feeling horribly insecure about any reason I give that might explain why I'm not interested. You're going to wonder if you blew it on the first date or whether I was just humoring you. You'll obsess over it. If I told you I was perhaps a little interested before, you'd think you'd still have a chance right now, when in reality you've just shut the door for at least a little while by revealing how quick to obsess you are over someone you don't know. If I tell you this, this will just make things worst, and again, I become the giant douchebag. I don't like being on this side of the conversation, because I'm not a bad person. But in this case, I have to sit here and be the bad guy and tell you what you don't want to hear. Fuck you. I was having a nice day. Now, because I've been totally honest with you, we'll probably never be able to speak to each other again."

So, instead, we say:

"Look man, you're cool, let's just be friends."

Nobody likes being the bad guy.

Not completely. I was out friday night and overheard some trashy girl asking a guy, excitedly, if he was gay (incidentally, he isn't) and if so she was claiming him and they'd go shopping together and it'd be great. Apart from making me want to throw myself off a tall structure, it proves that in some cases the gay-male-as-accessory thing really isn't just a horrifying joke.

I'm posting this here and not the gay thread because this thread doesn't make me cringe.
I unsubscribed from that thread a while ago.

Choc

Banned
That's a fair point. I never assume anyone is gay. It's a self-defense mechanism, if nothing else. But the situation you're talking about still never really occurs to me, even if I know the guy is into dudes. Well, not for -- uh -- dates, anyway.

--

Interestingly, I've been in situations -- and this looks terrible in text but see this paragraph through and don't extrapolate it to mean anything too crazy -- where I've essentially been the woman-half of the typical "female friend-zones the male trying to advance a friendship" scenario. I don't think it's an inherently female-centric behavior. It's just the normal human response to someone abruptly trying to inject themselves into your life. Often people, and I'm certainly like this, feel very uncomfortable when the balance of power in an exchange is thrown at them. Especially if they're used to being on the other side.

I suspect when abruptly faced with advancing things further, when the other party has shown no real prior interest, people like me think a variant of the following in about half a second:

"Look, I know how this is going to go. I know that you idolise me. But the feelings aren't mutual, so even if we go on a date, you're putting me in the position where I'm ultimately going to have to be the bad guy. I'm going to have to tell you that I don't feel the same way, and that the person you're idolising doesn't even really exist. You're going to start feeling horribly insecure about any reason I give that might explain why I'm not interested. You're going to wonder if you blew it on the first date or whether I was just humoring you. You'll obsess over it. If I told you I was perhaps a little interested before, you'd think you'd still have a chance right now, when in reality you've just shut the door for at least a little while by revealing how quick to obsess you are over someone you don't know. If I tell you this, this will just make things worst, and again, I become the giant douchebag. I don't like being on this side of the conversation, because I'm not a bad person. But in this case, I have to sit here and be the bad guy and tell you what you don't want to hear. Fuck you. I was having a nice day. Now, because I've been totally honest with you, we'll probably never be able to speak to each other again."

So, instead, we say:

"Look man, you're cool, let's just be friends."

Nobody likes being the bad guy.

I unsubscribed from that thread a while ago.

uh woooooooooooooooooooow :eek: amazing summation.

uh woooooooooooooooooooow :eek: amazing summation.
Pretty much.

Friendzoning goes both ways and I have done it too. Sucks and you kind of have to put it out of your mind even though you know the friendship is fucked now.

Everyone should go read Scott Pilgrim and get all depressed about how much of an arsehole you have been in the past without thinking about it, like I did.

No major issues here. Sometimes, rarely though, you get a broken file but with par2s it's usually not a major issue repairing it.

I know some people suggest getting a data block from another usenet joint just as a backup incase astra is missing a file or two.

Yeah par files are a godsend. The 1TB plan is tempting.

Shaneus

I had a quick look at your posts today via GAF search but couldn't see anything. Now I don't know what you were getting at at all :(

Called all people from Geelong inbred cunts.

Or something.
Well, at least he wasn't telling me to "get up".

Girls: Say that.
Guys: Think that when a girl says anything other than "yes".

World fixed.

Choc

Banned
so

Orbi: also turns out girls don't like you casually mentioning your dick size (they brought it up first!)

more girl advice

Shaneus

Hey guys, anyone know if there's a way to leech videos from someone's Youtube account or channel or whatever? I've just found an awesome Conan one that's been up for 6 months or so, but would hate to lose access to all of them.

Little Kings Story was pretty cool. Very interested in a much more polished sequel on Vita.

Hey guys, anyone know if there's a way to leech videos from someone's Youtube account or channel or whatever? I've just found an awesome Conan one that's been up for 6 months or so, but would hate to lose access to all of them.

JDownloader. Actually a boat load of software does it. Pretty sure there is even an extension for Firefox or Chrome that you can just click on the video and save to file.

Danoss

Orbi: also turns out girls don't like you casually mentioning your dick size (they brought it up first!)

I don't think I've ever been able to 'casually' mention my dick size, not that I bother because, honestly, no one gives a shit. Also, isn't it always quite blatant?

"I was running for the train this morning and just as I boarded, the doors closed on my dick. If only it wasn't so big."

"It's hard to find undies that fit when your dick is as big as mine."

"I don't usually go skinny dipping, my large penis makes the other blokes insecure, which makes me feel bad."

Boken

Banned
Wow Rez... That was pretty amazing dude.

You could download it, but that's probably copyright infringement and stuff.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For some stupid reason Tamworth is Wireless NBN.

People in Durka are bitching about it and trying to get them to change it to fiber.

Which would be good for the town.

That's a kick in the nuts. I hope it changes.

According to a couple of PDFs on the NBN Co. website, maps for my area should be available in April/May. Unfortunately, it seems the amount of premises to be connected within this first stage is a piddly 34 (i.e. barely more than a full block), so I'm not holding high hopes of falling within that zone. On the bright side, at least future expansions will be fast-tracked. Beats waiting for that initial green light.

Nailed it Rez. To an uncanny degree. The friend zone is just a likeness disparity, one person is keen as mustard, the other not so.

Tonights episode of Danger 5 was very funny. That woman that went into Stalin moustache got the most laughs from me.

Watching it right now. First episode I've seen, looks awesome. That South African guy is hilarious. I don't think he's even a major character.

And that is weird about Tamworth and the NBN. I could have sworn it's meant to be going to any town of more than 1000 people. Last time I checked Tamworth was like 50 times that

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey jambo! Long time no see...

Did I ever tell you about my penis?

xv7cD.jpg

Shaneus

JDownloader. Actually a boat load of software does it. Pretty sure there is even an extension for Firefox or Chrome that you can just click on the video and save to file.
I was actually meaning a downloader to get *everything* from a YT channel. Fortunately, found one! I got an error if I waited for it to catalog the entire channel (region lock even when vids could be played fine in the browser) but beginning right away seems to have worked. Now to wait for ~4Gb of old Conan clips to download then put on my phone for insta-hilarity.

Edit: It was a single video that wasn't Conan anyway. But some of these random clips, oh man. Champagne comedy.

How would that ever, ever, EVER come up in casual conversation?

Ever?

You know just last week I was talking to one of my friends about how its (according to him) proportionate to the length from the bottom of your hand to the top crease on your middle finger. Though now that I think I can't remember how it came up at all. What is this brain wiping witchcraft.

trinest

And that is weird about Tamworth and the NBN. I could have sworn it's meant to be going to any town of more than 1000 people. Last time I checked Tamworth was like 50 times that

Yeah we are getting it, but looking at the rollout its all Wireless NBN not fiber.

I would be all for Wireless is more rural areas or just in general that it could work if you had a NBN sub with fiber then access it sort of like a 3G over wireless and shit, but otherwise it just makes no sense in a pretty much a major city outpost.

Heck even Armidale gets Fiber (granted it seems to only be for the Uni area, but still).

Choc

Banned
say goodbye to madrical whilst you can boys

he posted racist shit on gaf

i just used your theory shan

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

remz

say goodbye to madrical whilst you can boys

he posted racist shit on gaf

i just used your theory shan

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No idea who he was but you we're kidding, hahahah I went to that thread straight after reading this post and he's goneeeee

i ment to be up in 5 hours. sharks was cool. penis hand thing was interesting. meth head psychos are crazy. dating is dating relationship is exclusive. im making sauce today. still want to buy word. that is expensive for only 2 installs ever. cookies credit cards are cool i want one. savoury shapes > pizza shapes. all my epson printers break and i dont know why. im getting another one tomorrow. still need a job.

this has been another banana update brought to you by banana.

Its my birthday today.

Savory shapes are the best shapes. The salt and vinegar one rocks my world

Went to moomba today and Saturday. Was fun. Fireworks were cool. Anyone else go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom