• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
I take that point on board Vince, but I buy on PC only pretty much (apart from owning some Nintendo products) and for the most part (ie. I can't think of any situations) DLC content has never gone down and been broken. Could be wrong however. Same with everything, pick your platform of choice carefully, choices matter.

As for the Wii point... bought anything on the Virtual Console? :)

wait

for like FIVE DAYS ubisoft games didnt work due to its DRM

how has it never gone down? and what happens whern they do eventually turn that all off

The glorious PC is full of people who keep copies of their old games to share with everyone. In 10 years time my son can play Uncharted through an emulator after ripping my blu ray copy through whatever magical program some genius has come up with.

Also that is why I like CD Projekt who remove their DRM after a certain amount of time and re-release games up to date with the latest patches and extra content. The copy of The Witcher 2 you see in stores now is the updated 2.0 version, all for a low price. :)

The pirates will save our nostalgia if the corporations fail to give us a monetized option to scratch the itch.

Omikron

It's not that it's never gone down and been broken, it's that pirates have always got your back on PC. If that stuff does go down you can be pretty sure you'll be able to source a copy, and most likely run it on current hardware. Nostalgia for console games is great but you have to keep a cupboard full of old hardware and hope they don't break.

So you win either way with PC huh? ;)

And yeah, legacy hardware unless some smart bastards has managed to emu it at an acceptable level on PC is always going to be an issue with console.

wait

for like FIVE DAYS ubisoft games didnt work due to its DRM

how has it never gone down? and what happens whern they do eventually turn that all off

Didn't Ubisoft remove that always on shit?

rep this is a serious question

tell me how i can pirate a psn game?

you can't

To be honest I'm not up on the PS3 pirating scene. It is all data sitting somewhere so logically someone should be able to grab it and work out a way to get it working. I can't see why someone couldn't take the content downloaded to their PS3 and eventually get it running, even if it is a few years down the track in an emulator.

Unless it gets a retail release bundle with their other games, which is a possibility in some random EU country. Seen some very strange bundles for XBLA.

Yagharek

yeah he wasn't PR vince i believe he was a product manager or another senior role

now he is back in marketing again :p

as many of you blame him for the dreamcast fuckup, i thought you might want to know

After 13 years I would say the wounds have healed enough for me to say that it wasnt him who fucked up Dreamcast - everything about the system was a clusterfuck, and Ozisoft was too small a company to be handling distribution for a console in 1999.

I do blame him for Atari/Gamenation never shipping Rebelstar Tactical Command on GBA or Ribbit King on GC, however.

I take that point on board Vince, but I buy on PC only pretty much (apart from owning some Nintendo products) and for the most part (ie. I can't think of any situations) DLC content has never gone down and been broken. Could be wrong however. Same with everything, pick your platform of choice carefully, choices matter.

As for the Wii point... bought anything on the Virtual Console? :)

I've bought VC games - Nintendo let you transfer all DSi content across to 3DS, so I feel confident VC/Wiiware will be transferable to Wii U. From that perspective they are superior to XBLA's setup. MS wanted you to buy all your old XBox 1 DLC a second time if you wanted it on 360 (eg PGR2). Nowadays, you cant even get the DLC you paid for.

PC is a "safer" bet somewhat nowadays since people can host their own servers, make their own maps, and services like GoG and Steam are supporting the games from the golden era of PC, with all the adventure games and RPGs of the 1990s. Though I would be severely alarmed with the direction Activision and EA/Origin are taking at the moment. It's becoming a lot more regulated a la consoles. And I won't even mention Ubisoft.

If there is a PC God, companies like CD Projekt or whatever their name is will establish goodwill amongst all and a viable online market for games without DRM and trust paid back in kind by the customers.

Yagharek

It's not that it's never gone down and been broken, it's that pirates have always got your back on PC. If that stuff does go down you can be pretty sure you'll be able to source a copy, and most likely run it on current hardware. Nostalgia for console games is great but you have to keep a cupboard full of old hardware and hope they don't break.

Microsoft consoles have no real nostalgia factor, thankfully. At least most cart based systems are reliable. You could drop kick most of them and not break them.

My Master System 2 is in not particularly good working order. :p

..really? My girlfriends TWO master systems run fine. One's cart reader doesn't work but the in-built Alex Kidd game works perfectly. My Megadrive 1 works fine, my N64 works fine (lags occasionally on Ocarina of Time). I think you're the outlier here Omi :p

Omikron

..really? My girlfriends TWO master systems run fine. One's cart reader doesn't work but the in-built Alex Kidd game works perfectly. My Megadrive 1 works fine, my N64 works fine (lags occasionally on Ocarina of Time). I think you're the outlier here Omi :p

Haha... the console itself is ok I think (boots games), it has been many, many years since I switched it on though. But the pull back slot cover is busted and hard to open, all the cabling is damaged etc etc and don't even talk about the controllers, those things were fucking awful in their construction. The d-pads all fell off.

Cohsae

so reggies thread brings out more racism from Aussies

that thread is going to turn into a ban magnet soon

There's been like 2 people who've said some bullshit, and they were immediately shouted down from what I saw. Just really hoping it doesn't turn into another thread about how "zomg Australia is the most racist country in the world". Such a load of shit.

legend166

Boost are giving out free drinks to people named Andrew.

I'm named Andrew!

Do I drive to Castle Towers and get myself a free Boost?

Rezbit

so reggies thread brings out more racism from Aussies

that thread is going to turn into a ban magnet soon

Honestly, it's really troubling. It's so wide-spread too. I really could ramble on about it, but I shouldn't. Vince made a good point in the thread.

There's been like 2 people who've said some bullshit, and they were immediately shouted down from what I saw. Just really hoping it doesn't turn into another thread about how "zomg Australia is the most racist country in the world". Such a load of shit.

Yeah, you're right. I mean racism on a world-wide scale is just something that you hope we would be able to look past. Instead you see racists from age dot to dot. I do think a lot of Australia's problem is pure ignorance about indigenous issues though. Not really helped by the government mind you.

Boost are giving out free drinks to people named Andrew.

I'm named Andrew!

Do I drive to Castle Towers and get myself a free Boost?

Can I call you Andy?

Yagharek

It took me three months to decide, but I've decided I only need one magazine subscription this year and probably ongoing.

In the running were:
Edge
Games TM
Retro Gamer
Nintendo Gamer

All UK.

The winner is (drumroll please)

Retro Gamer

Best gaming mag in history.

Saw this car parked next to ours yesterday in the hotel car park in Adelaide:

IMG_20120312_084140.jpg

Gazunta

You chose wisely, Vince.

Issue 100 has an Andrew Braybrook interview. I can't understate how big a deal that is. It's like if Time magazine scored an interview with P.D . Salinger.

Depends on what you get.

If you get a fruit juice mix then it's incredibly healthy and good for you.

The low-fat smoothies on the other hand are probably rolling in sugar.

1. Where the heck are you getting sugar in boosts from?

2. If you are referring to fructose-sugar, that actually isn't really bad for you

Depends on what you get.

Yeah sorry, should have made that clear. The freshly made juice is great, all the smoothies are terrible.

Agyar

Depends on what you get.

If you get a "fruit juice mix" it's still loaded with sugar. Fruit juice is better than soft drink but nutritionally it's lacking a lot of the vitamins and fiber you get from just eating fruit and in a lot of cases, more concentrated (so more sugar).

legend166

uh you work in st leonards right? why not north sydney?

I work at West Pennant Hills now. St Leonards on Thursdays though, just cause I can.

Also, I'm under no illusions that the large Strawberry Squeeze I just had is terrible for me, but it was soooo good.

Yagharek

You chose wisely, Vince.

Issue 100 has an Andrew Braybrook interview. I can't understate how big a deal that is. It's like if Time magazine scored an interview with P.D . Salinger.

I'm worried I might miss out on 100, my sub ran out at March 1, possibly meaning 99 was my last. Got to find out fast if I need to organise my wife to head to the newsagent soon.

Bingo. The sugar's not as refined, so not as bad as soft drink, but if you don't use all the energy it then it's no better for you.

It depends on how you're using it though. After muscular workouts (weights at the gym), fruit juice is great to get that insulin spike that helps deliver protein to the muscles and thus put on muscle mass. Though if people are looking to loose weight then I agree :)

Agyar

Bingo. The sugar's not as refined, so not as bad as soft drink, but if you don't use all the energy it then it's no better for you.

"Not as bad for you" based on what? Other than a lower glycemic index, sucrose in your soft drink is hardly any different to the fructose/glucose/sucrose in your fruit juice.

It depends on how you're using it though. After muscular workouts (weights at the gym), fruit juice is great to get that insulin spike that helps deliver protein to the muscles and thus put on muscle mass. Though if people are looking to loose weight then I agree :)

Insulin spiking for protein synthesis is mostly broscience from what I've seen. Pre-training and post-training meals aren't as limited time-wise as popular theory seems to suggest. Consuming a carbohydrate alongside protein during recovery has evidence to support it but the necessity to do it immediately (or popularly, within a 30 minute window) of the workout appears largely unsupported. Consuming normal meals pre- and post-training should be enough.

Overall nutrient intake seems more important than timing and normal carbohydrate consumption should be adequate. That said, I mix maltodextrose into my protein shakes but the goal is meeting caloric intake.

It depends on how you're using it though. After muscular workouts (weights at the gym), fruit juice is great to get that insulin spike that helps deliver protein to the muscles and thus put on muscle mass.

"Not as bad for you" based on what? Other than a lower glycemic index, sucrose in your soft drink is hardly any different to the fructose/glucose/sucrose in your fruit juice.

That's what I'm getting at. Yes, if you're exercising or otherwise using a lot of energy, anything high in carbs or sugar or protein or whatever can be healthy, but people seem to think that drinking a massive Boost Juice and eating a footlong Subway constitute a healthy lunch. Hey, it's mostly salad and fruit, right?

Agyar

That's what I'm getting at. Yes, if you're exercising or otherwise using a lot of energy, anything high in carbs or sugar or protein or whatever can be healthy, but people seem to think that drinking a massive Boost Juice and eating a footlong Subway constitute a healthy lunch. Hey, it's mostly salad and fruit, right?

Even if you're exercising heavily (and not for weight loss), fruit juice is empty calories. Better off just eating fruit and drinking water (or milk, the nectar of the strength training gods).

Shaneus

First day back at work in a week and a half and it's already taking it out of me.

Had to stop taking the steroids for Glandular Fever yesterday, you can only take them for 5-6 days it seems. Hopefully I make it through today.

Nice present waiting for me when I got in at least...

ZLlHll.jpg

<3 Choc
They should call it Uncharted: Gameplay Abyss, amirite?

Insulin spiking for protein synthesis is mostly broscience from what I've seen. Pre-training and post-training meals aren't as limited time-wise as popular theory seems to suggest. Consuming a carbohydrate alongside protein during recovery has evidence to support it but the necessity to do it immediately (or popularly, within a 30 minute window) of the workout appears largely unsupported. Consuming normal meals pre- and post-training should be enough.

Overall nutrient intake seems more important than timing and normal carbohydrate consumption should be adequate. That said, I mix maltodextrose into my protein shakes but the goal is meeting caloric intake.

You know what, as an advocate of the scientific method and critical thinking I've never taken the time to actually look at the peer-reviewed research on insulin spiking and the 'anabolic window', and have generally just taken the popular conception as fact. I think it's time I actually look into this a bit more, thanks Agyar, will see what I come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom