• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
わからない?No, I've used up my extra credits, back to self-study after this semester.

&#12372;&#12417;&#12435; :( &#12381;&#12358; is like that, so I just meant me too ><

That's a shame, but there are a ton of resources out there as long so as you have the discipline it shouldn't matter too much (I don't :s, though since I got anki on my phone I've been practicing on the bus).

There was an ice rink in the city?

Finkle is Einhorn?

Yup, right in the middle.

729ice-420x0.jpg

Omikron

i've been playing aroudn with the VS 2012 RC and Microsoft has really stuffed some things up with Metro

remember how with usual VS and also Windows phone you can build the UI and then code around it, so you use designer to make the UI and then insert the code

not anymore. Like Apple you code the UI within code and then move it around in designer

im surprised MS went down that path. It makes it a lot easier for people to get into and its something that Apple devs generally do not like but put up with.

What are you talking about?

Have you written anything using WPF before using MVVM methodology? If not, I imagine you would be confused.

I very, very rarely use the layout designer to put items on my controls. It is all done using the XAML definitions. In fact, I quite often will hide the preview because its fucking slow and clunky.

Choc

Banned
Omi i am not talking about experienced professional developers like yourself

I am talking about the ease of use to start working with programming. It's a lot easier for someone starting out to build a UI and learn the coding around it, to build the code straight out without a UI.

Of course long term, it flips. but Microsoft used to have one of the most friendly, accessible development environments for new amateur programmers around. and now they don't.

Choc

Banned
Mega

VB.net with Metro doesn't let you do UI design first, code later.

I am not saying its the right way to go about it but if Microsoft want people to try Metro out as amatuers, then good luck with that.

Professionals will be fine, but isn't attracting new people a good idea?

The most amazing thing about it all is Metro on WP7 DOES allow UI design first code later. It's kinda crazy really.

As i have played around with the IOS SDK i get it, and i know how to do it. but it doesn't encourage new people.

Omikron

Omi i am not talking about experienced professional developers like yourself

I am talking about the ease of use to start working with programming. It's a lot easier for someone starting out to build a UI and learn the coding around it, to build the code straight out without a UI.

Of course long term, it flips. but Microsoft used to have one of the most friendly, accessible development environments for new amateur programmers around. and now they don't.

I will check it out tonight at home and get back to you, my guess is you can do everything you described.

Write XAML / dragdrop controls to your layout, write code behind, hook in event handlers, the works.

It just ins't WinForms.

Thank god.

Jintor

Well, apparently Dan got the same treatment, so she might be right in the ARMA case. But I still hold that the issue is larger than just the ARMA issue.

Choc

Banned
Just checked out a few videos showing VS2012, really does look like WPF development with plenty of pre-templated UI components.

yeah

but you can't just use toolbox, drag button double click button, code

edit: Jint this must be what Laura was referencing in her tweet this morning about how game journos need to shut hte fuck up sometimes

Omikron

yeah

but you can't just use toolbox, drag button double click button, code

edit: Jint this must be what Laura was referencing in her tweet this morning about how game journos need to shut hte fuck up sometimes

Are you still wanting to code in VB6?

Jintor

Today's twitter rage seemed to be against Ben Kuchera of the PA Report for dropping in the conversation and then immediately dropping out of it again.

Shaneus

Tim & Eric tickets are $70+?

Nothanks.jpg
Flight of the Conchords was $90+. Fuck that. Comedians should be FAR cheaper.

Shaneus, can you clarify whether your Mum's birthday thingy is this week or next week?
This week. I will be able to attend MelbGAF next week, no worries :)

Eh, Geelong had one for yonks.

Google Play sale, games for $1

GTA3 - now with even shittier controls!
Order & Chaos Online - MMMORPG
NBA Jam - sidescroller bball
Mass Effect 3 Infiltrator - DLC ending included now
Draw Something - does anyone still play?
Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton - for the kids
Moo, Baa, La La La by Sandra Boynton - for the kids
FlightTrack - for those who can fly and are so bored they want to track it
Any way I can quickly check if any of those would work on x86-based Android? Only a small amount from the Android Humble Bundle worked, and Pinball Arcade didn't, either (this is for my Windpad).

Hey, Futurama's back tomorrow!

FV2SFKDFZNHOUDY.MEDIUM.jpg
Fucking pumped. Really started hitting their stride in the latter half of S6, so I hope that trend continues. Going by some of the episode titles/synopsii, I think we'll be fine :)

Any way I can quickly check if any of those would work on x86-based Android? Only a small amount from the Android Humble Bundle worked, and Pinball Arcade didn't, either (this is for my Windpad).
Log in using your Google account and it should automatically remember what your device is. It will then tell you if the device is supported. Works well for me!

Choc

Banned
Are you still wanting to code in VB6?

no

im just saying in VS 2010 amatuers COULD do this and they could also do this with WP7

Metro has scrapped all that. I am not saying its bad overall, i am saying it makes the learning curve and 'price of entry' higher for an amatuer coder.

If one of the points is to attract new people, it makes it a harder proposition

Sigh. NeoGAF really has gone to shit lately. Reading that Carmack thread makes it hard to understand how people can get through everyday life with their grasp of logic.

Shaneus

Log in using your Google account and it should automatically remember what your device is. It will then tell you if the device is supported. Works well for me!
Tried, the only thing compatible is that Flighttracker thing. FFfffff.....
Sigh. NeoGAF really has gone to shit lately. Reading that Carmack thread makes it hard to understand how people can get through everyday life with their grasp of logic.
Link? You can't make me look for threads, especially when I'm at work. I need to not-work efficiently, damnit.

Edit: On that Android note, list me a game or few that is (relatively) small and would work decently on my AMD Brazos-based (read: crappy, but with relatively awesome GPU) tablet. This sucker.
I might actually hunt down to see if any Windows-based games translate well to using a touchscreen/tablet. There has to be a few... but any tips/suggestions would be welcome.
This goes for all of you, AusGAF!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Well, apparently Dan got the same treatment, so she might be right in the ARMA case. But I still hold that the issue is larger than just the ARMA issue.

So that kotaku "article" is now potentially not about some PR guy being a sexist dick?

Who would have thunk it!

Omikron

no

im just saying in VS 2010 amatuers COULD do this and they could also do this with WP7

Metro has scrapped all that. I am not saying its bad overall, i am saying it makes the learning curve and 'price of entry' higher for an amatuer coder.

If one of the points is to attract new people, it makes it a harder proposition

I don't think it is necessarily that difficult for new people, you are just coming from a base of learned knowledge on a different platform.

Choc

Banned
lol

no im just AMAZED Laura has spoken out AGAINST katie

it just stuns me. Laura sometimes goes on about sexism and bullshit in games and then pulls this.

:|

Tried, the only thing compatible is that Flighttracker thing. FFfffff.....

Link? You can't make me look for threads, especially when I'm at work. I need to not-work efficiently, damnit.

Edit: On that Android note, list me a game or few that is (relatively) small and would work decently on my AMD Brazos-based (read: crappy, but with relatively awesome GPU) tablet. This sucker.
I might actually hunt down to see if any Windows-based games translate well to using a touchscreen/tablet. There has to be a few... but any tips/suggestions would be welcome.
This goes for all of you, AusGAF!

Fine. Just irritating that people feel comfortable talking shit and pushing it as if their opinion is fact. I have no issues with someone disagreeing with me as long as they are openminded enough to believe that they might not know every detail imaginable about something.

Also if it is a Win7 tablet wouldn't it have another set of apps for Win7 platform stuff? If you are booting into Android then maybe you would get quite a few false negatives trying to run apps and might have to Google around for a forum of people somewhere trying to do the same thing. 99% of stuff runs perfect on the Touchpad, which I am assuming is vastly inferior tech-wise to your WinPad. Might just need something to rejigger it.

Jintor

lol

no im just AMAZED Laura has spoken out AGAINST katie

it just stuns me. Laura sometimes goes on about sexism and bullshit in games and then pulls this.

:|

She's a reporter, she'd say what she sees as the truth - which, given Dan's comparable experience, I'm inclined to believe; i.e. that the PR for ARMA (if that was the booth) would have taken keyboards from any person who wasn't 'effectively using their 15 minutes' or whatever. But the thing is that that's not the point of Katie's article, though it is a sticking point.

EvlCookie said:
So that kotaku "article" is now potentially not about some PR guy being a sexist dick?

Who would have thunk it!

The article uses that incident as a launching point for Katie to talk about the larger problem she has with being condenscended to on the basis of gender, so the initial incident not being maliciously sexist does nothing to dismiss the larger points that it's making.

And fuck off with your 'article' bullshit.

A few other guys have already mentioned that they have been treated the same way in demoes. I'm not saying there was no sexism involved, but perhaps with it being her first E3 she was 1) expecting something other than the reality of the situation and 2) looked like a deer in the headlights.

Given the people running the demoes have to churn through a lot of people in a small amount of time, if the demoes are running too slowly perhaps they've been told to take over.

Seems like the smart thing to do would've been to talk to others to see if they experience the same thing, because it sounds like everyone who's gone to events such as E3 has.

If someone was genuinely giving unfavourable treatment due to gender, the company needs to be called out, though IMO the individual does not necessarily need to be unless they went over and above with creating a hostile environment.

Did the ARMA3 guy make everyone look at bunny rabbits rather than the military stuff?
Did everyone running through the demo sit and marvel at the lush grass? In the guy's defence, maybe he was giving her more of what he thought she wanted? From the article it sounds like the guy was a dick but we're only getting one side of the story, from someone who was likely extremely tired, in an overbearing environment.

Did the ARMA3 guy make everyone look at bunny rabbits rather than the military stuff?

That would be a stupid way to try and promote your game to the public through the journalists.

I get the impression she was shocked at how flippant the whole event was about underestimating her, more so than others she could see at the event because she is a woman. Most of the article talks about having control taken from her. Sounds like her E3 experience wasn't much more involved or worthwhile than sitting at a PC in Australia looking at it, which is my main worry about the future of E3. Why go to a linear, scripted "hands-on" (i.e. not hands on) event when you are being fed the same thing that the publishers dump into your email Inbox or Facebook feed twice a day? Thankfully a number of developers there don't follow the same policy but I'm not sure if it will be enough to grow E3.

Did everyone running through the demo sit and marvel at the lush grass? In the guy's defence, maybe he was giving her more of what he thought she wanted? From the article it sounds like the guy was a dick but we're only getting one side of the story, from someone who was likely extremely tired, in an overbearing environment.
Sounds like she wandered over to the setup while no-one was there and then the rep came over a few minutes later while she was taking it all in, rather than him standing next to her for 10 minutes. Again, the whole thing is a narrative experience. Not a definitive article on sexism in the industry, more of some musings on the experience for a first time participant.

r1chard

Yay I'm off to see Prometheus tonight at Melbourne Central. I know, I'm late. And all you Prometheus haters can shut the fuck up. Nyah.

I'm fairly sure I'm doing that too... but I rarely ever go to the actual cinemas anyway, given the tickets cost half of what the discs cost me, why bother?

Had the choice to watch it on a shitty country Cinema screen and make a late drive home but something like Prometheus (and Batman 3) should be seen on a damn good system. Wish I lived closer to Melbourne and I would talk some people into making a trip to the IMAX for it, will be seeing Batman 3 there the day before my wedding which should be awesome!

Otherwise yeah, Blu Ray for $15~ is a much better option.

Omikron

Get game for free, with all gameplay options and ability to win are open to you, complain about monetisation.

(Not that I think cookie is necessarily)

commissar

Oh valve - http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/posts/team_logos.jpg

Looks like announcer packs are now in dota 2. $10 - 15 each (yikes) along with a few other things.
I'll await the inevitable OMG THREE LAMBDAS topic in gaming.

Also for the other person who also enjoyed RAGE, PEGI rated a new game and/or DLC thing called RAGE: The Scorchers (link) which is due to release last Thursday??
This + Carmack saying the SDK is in final testing may mean a more substantial update than expected.
OR PERHAPS: as the RAGE wiki says the Scorcher gang were cut from RAGE due to time constraints, this could be the potential high resolution mission mentioned about 3 years ago?
Colour me anticipatory.
RAGE.
Rage.

Also for the other person who also enjoyed RAGE, PEGI rated a new game and/or DLC thing called RAGE: The Scorchers (link) which is due to release last Thursday??
This + Carmack saying the SDK is in final testing may mean a more substantial update than expected.
OR PERHAPS: as the RAGE wiki says the Scorcher gang were cut from RAGE due to time constraints, this could be the potential high resolution mission mentioned about 3 years ago?
Colour me anticipatory.
RAGE.
Rage.
Yes please. Still need to finish my Steam copy. Would love some more racing stuff.

Social experiment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom