• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure that contradicts: "all gameplay options and ability to win are open to you". Obviously not the type of game Omi is referring to.
All gameplay options are; though not all items may not be it sounds like the "game" plays the same, and you can still win, though paying will accelerate the chances.

Fredescu

All gameplay options are; though not all items may not be it sounds like the "game" plays the same, and you can still win, though paying will accelerate the changes.
Buying more powerful stuff is what pay to win means. In that game, you can buy more powerful stuff. In Dota2, you can't.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
There's certainly no pay to win going on in dota 2. It's more pay to accessorise, to make your character look slightly different, to make your game experience different to others.

It looks like you can also buy tournament passes in game which allow you to watch games live without having to follow a twitch/own3d stream. Money will be split between the organisers and valve.

Blog post about all of that here - http://blog.dota2.com/2012/06/did-you-see-that-kill/

Looks like teams are coming soon. AUSGAF-BAD-TEAM incoming I would imagine. We can get placed against other teams who suck!

Valve seems to be doing everything right so far. Well aside from keys and chests which I have hated since TF2 :D

Buying more powerful stuff is what pay to win means. In that game, you can buy more powerful stuff. In Dota2, you can't.
In Molyneux's game there's no real guarantee spending that money will actually let you win. It's more like getting a free lottery ticket versus buying a thousand of them -- you can still lose.

jambo

In Molyneux's game there's no real guarantee spending that money will actually let you win. It's more like getting a free lottery ticket versus buying a thousand of them -- you can still lose.

That's how every f2p game aside from DOTA 2 works.

Buying every weapon in the game doesn't guarantee that you will always win, but it still tips the game your way.

This can never happen in DOTA 2

Fredescu

So then why have a problem with pay to win games?
They're labelled "free to play" when that often means "free to play about a quarter of the game, to see the rest you'll have to pay." They're not all bad, but they're just not as upfront as games that are either a once off cost, or games that are free to play where the microtransactions are only cosmetic, such as with Dota 2 or Path of Exile.

That's how every f2p game aside from DOTA 2 works.
You forgot TF2.

free to play about a quarter of the game, to see the rest you'll have to pay.
What about Tribes: Ascend? I thought the developers stated purchases weren't necessary to see the whole game.

The game in question (Curiosity) doesn't necessarily have content locked behind purchases. I think the game is a silly idea but that's beside the point.

Alright so I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at cost wise for the PC I want to build.
I'd say save the money on the SSD, stick with 8GB RAM, and put it towards an i7 if you can. SSDs are great, but for gaming the money is probably better spend on the CPU over the HDD. If you already had an i7 in the build and money to burn I'd say the SSD is a better use of money than 16GB RAM.

Alright so I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at cost wise for the PC I want to build. I don't have a clue what to get other than CPU/GPU, could I have some suggestions about components and why they are suited for my build? I will be looking to OC the CPU and GPU. Thanks guys/gals. Around the $1500 price range...

Mobo: ?
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz - $250
GPU: GTX 670 (not sure which one exactly) - $500
RAM: Should I get 8 or 16gb, and which one?
SSD: Should I get a SSD?
HDD: I guess a decent 2TB drive?
PSU: ?
CASE: ?

8GB of RAM should be fine. Go with the cheapest clock right Fred?

Also the Sandisk SSD is super cheap and super fast, can't recall the name but Shaneus has one.

HAF912 for case has done me well, runs super quiet and super cool.
Corsair PSU.

Fredescu

You forgot TF2.
Can't you buy gameplay items in that?

What about Tribes: Ascend? I thought the developers stated purchases weren't necessary to see the whole game.
No idea! The only question is whether you can pay to make your character more powerful or not.

The game in question (Curiosity) doesn't necessarily have content locked behind purchases.
Buying the new axe is technically content.

Fredescu

Alright so I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at cost wise for the PC I want to build. I don't have a clue what to get other than CPU/GPU, could I have some suggestions about components and why they are suited for my build? I will be looking to OC the CPU and GPU. Thanks guys/gals. Around the $1500 price range...

Pick a store first. Where do you live? Arc is good for Sydney, Umart for Brisbane, I guess Pc Casegear for Vic.

mandiller

RAM: 8GB is fine. I've got 8GB and have never gone anywhere near its full potential. 16GB is a waste.

SSD: Yes you should. Install windows on it and your main programs. I've got and recommend the Crucial M4 128GB. Excellent drive, no problems.

Choc

Banned
guys

i have a spare key for the upcoming the secret world mmo beta this weekend

client is ~12gb

let me know if you want it

Rahk

No idea! The only question is whether you can pay to make your character more powerful or not.
You can pay for better weapons, abilities and classes in Tribes, but they are also reasonably unlockable by earning in-game exp, or whatever the in-game currency is.

Edit: Beaten.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just picked up metroid prime 3, no more heroes, madworld (all wii) and etrian odyssey (ds) for $38 total!

2nd hand, but still, normally when there's a sale on I just see hundreds of copies of the same thing.

Thanks game!

Choc

Banned
1299557320741.png

jambo

There was a guy on a bus I was on a few months ago, showing YouTube videos to a mate of his using the iPhone speakers. He then went in to his music library and played a number of tracks.

I just don't get these people =\

Frawdder

There was a customer in our store the other day who came in and had his music up loud, he didn't even bother with headphones, just noise coming from his pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom