• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
cd058c5ab14311e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

Edit - YUMMMM cods, damn I could go a steak right now

Your steak looks like a pig. That is all.

dMET5.png

Fredescu

tithin

Neo Member
Anyone able to recommend a place in Melbourne, preferrably eastern suburbs where I can get a decent PC? Preferrably with 3d shit - budget is slightly less than 2k.

senahorse

i could probably earn the same in pounds that i earn in dollars here

thats about 2x as much on the current exchange rate.

also i'd say New Yorks lifestyle is pretty good for young people ? :p

Londons is ok. I'd live in London over NYC

Well, you work for a multi-national, if it gets to you that much...move ;). Cost of living might suck in some (most?) parts of this country but the lifestyle always wins over for me. Also the benefits we have are second to almost none.

Also, I would like to see what $400/week in Manhattan gets you, a broom closet?

Fredescu

Anyone able to recommend a place in Melbourne, preferrably eastern suburbs where I can get a decent PC? Preferrably with 3d shit - budget is slightly less than 2k.
Much better to spend a bit of time researching and then picking your parts individually, even if you pay for them to assemble it, but PCCG have a bunch of pre built systems: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1411

Then you just add a 120Hz monitor: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=558_1210

and I guess these things: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=284_987&products_id=19968

Looking at those prebuilts tho... eh, you could build a 3570k/GTX670 system for about $1200 leaving plenty or room in your budget for the "3D shit".

Yagharek

Did you see Sqorgar's latest post...

=\

I'm deeply unimpressed with all of his posts, but I get the impression he is trying to make a point. Failing, but trying. The worst posts earlier in the thread have thrown my detector off a bit in the meantime.

It's still better here than on the rest of the internet.

Marginally. There is a lot of unsociability bubbling under the surface I have noticed of late. Especially in threads of that ilk, and the female journalist at e3 thread, it reaches the surface in a cascade of hostility and stupid.

Boom. Props on the use of perspicacity, I had to look it up!

It's a word that we who used paradigm in the past have had to adopt. Keeping ahead of the curve and all that.

tithin

Neo Member
Much better to spend a bit of time researching and then picking your parts individually, even if you pay for them to assemble it, but PCCG have a bunch of pre built systems: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1411

Then you just add a 120Hz monitor: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=558_1210

and I guess these things: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=284_987&products_id=19968

Looking at those prebuilts tho... eh, you could build a 3570k/GTX670 system for about $1200 leaving plenty or room in your budget for the "3D shit".

I used to do that - picking out my own bits of gear I mean - but with two kids and working 10-12 hours a day, just don't have the mental energy to do it.

I'll have a look through the links though, appreciated.

Choc

Banned
Well, you work for a multi-national, if it gets to you that much...move ;). Cost of living might suck in some (most?) parts of this country but the lifestyle always wins over for me. Also the benefits we have are second to almost none.

Also, I would like to see what $400/week in Manhattan gets you, a broom closet?

Brisvegas has a better more chilled lifestyle than sydney

come live here for 6 months x3n, and you will be stressed as fuck, stuck in traffic all the time and everyone is self centred pricks who dont talk to each other

Fredescu

I used to do that - picking out my own bits of gear I mean - but with two kids and working 10-12 hours a day, just don't have the mental energy to do it.
I could pick you out a list if you want. PCCG charge $79 for assembly and testing which isn't too bad.

senahorse

Brisvegas has a better more chilled lifestyle than sydney

come live here for 6 months x3n, and you will be stressed as fuck, stuck in traffic all the time and everyone is self centred pricks who dont talk to each other

Now why would I want to do that :p

So I got thinking about Gator and then through the Wikipedia wormhole I ended up looking at the awesome first movie White Lightning which then sent me onto an older movie directed by Joseph Sargent called The Hell With Heroes which reminded me of probably my favourite album of 2003 by English band Hell Is For Heroes who JUST TODAY announced they were reforming!
More Night Vision for all!
THE POWER OF THE WIKIPEDIA!

FUCK THIS SHIT

Sydney (11), Melbourne (15) and Perth (19) now rank among the world's most expensive cities, while London languishes in 25th spot and New York in 33rd, according to the Mercer Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2012 released this month.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/socie...ney-for-nyc-20120625-20yh2.html#ixzz1yrWDDKVa
Strange word to use when they would prefer to be lower rather than higher :/

Boom. Props on the use of perspicacity, I had to look it up!
Simpsons man! I get all my vocab from The Simpsons.

Your steak looks like a pig. That is all.

dMET5.png
My love of the pig drew me to that delicious cut of beef. Lets celebrate this realisation with bacon for dinner for all!

tithin

Neo Member
I could pick you out a list if you want. PCCG charge $79 for assembly and testing which isn't too bad.

I'd appreciate that actually.

Wasn't aware that the cheapest 3d monitor was $500, bit pricey. Might wait a few more years for it to come down in price and for 3d to become a bigger thing.

So I got thinking about Gator and then through the Wikipedia wormhole I ended up looking at the awesome first movie White Lightning which then sent me onto an older movie directed by Joseph Sargent called The Hell With Heroes which reminded me of probably my favourite album of 2003 by English band Hell Is For Heroes who JUST TODAY announced they were reforming!
More Night Vision for all!
THE POWER OF THE WIKIPEDIA!

Is it weird when you mention Gator the first thing I think of is Archer and not Gator?

Also at uni we had this game we'd play (instead of studying) called "The Wikipedia Game." Pretty much you'd be given a target page, hit random and have to find your way there via links. We thought we were geniuses until someone looked up Wikipedia Game and saw it already existed.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gina will keep Masterchef, but she wants to be the sole judge on the show. No longer tasting food but will rate it on how much they can make on volume.

MOAR SWINE

Fredescu

Wasn't aware that the cheapest 3d monitor was $500, bit pricey. Might wait a few more years for it to come down in price and for 3d to become a bigger thing.
The best thing about those monitors is 120fps. You'll probably get over the novelty of 3D, but the max framerate when playing 2D games is supposed to be really good.

senahorse

Gina will keep Masterchef, but she wants to be the sole judge on the show. No longer tasting food but will rate it on how much they can make on volume.

MOAR SWINE

Gina Rindheart

The best thing about those monitors is 120fps. You'll probably get over the novelty of 3D, but the max framerate when playing 2D games is supposed to be really good.

Are you talking about the Samsung? If so I can vouch for it being a great screen, very impressed.

Yagharek

I have no idea about this rape thread now. Its like every page is a clean slate for some of the most inane, mind-numbingly stupid and thoughtless comments to date.

Choc

Banned

by refusing to even come to the table, it will mean more boats and more likely people dying

last weeks tragedy was avoidable if he wasn't such a fucking dick. Everyones blood who died is on TA's hands.

I would say the same if Labor had caused the same problem by not negotiating with coalition in a reverse gvt

Do we own Christmas Island?
If so we can use it as like an Introduction To Australia Centre so immigrants can first set up shop there and if they can learn to love bacon and beer they can come on over. Just run a ferry back and forth from Indonesia and have it be federally owned and operated. Profits!

VVV that is some sexy top of the range looking PC Fred. Sooooo want a 470 :( Maybe think about grabbing a SSD at some point too when they are on super special.

legend166

by refusing to even come to the table, it will mean more boats and more likely people dying

last weeks tragedy was avoidable if he wasn't such a fucking dick. Everyones blood who died is on TA's hands.

I would say the same if Labor had caused the same problem by not negotiating with coalition in a reverse gvt

I don't know how many times I have to remind you of this, but Tony Abbott is not in government.

Why don't you blame the greens?

Choc

Banned
I don't know how many times I have to remind you of this, but Tony Abbott is not in government.

Why don't you blame the greens?

Minority parliament demands both sides to come to the table and pass law.

Labor passed offshore processing with Howard in power.

Tony is holding the Government to ransom on this issue. It's not entirely Tonys fault but his refusal to even listen to ALP solutions makes it his problem as well

We own it.
We need to get that shit pimping ASAP. I'm talking ocean to ocean pubs and piggeries. Get those ferries going and get immigrants working on them to acclimatise them to the Aussie accent. Charge one of those fees that we have to pay when we are trying to fly out of a country and they slap us with a tax to leave the damn place, I think it was like $40 in NZ? Maybe move the 12 8 Apostles up there to bring in some tourists too. Perfect spot to sell some Fosters too I guess.

Yagharek

We need to get that shit pimping ASAP. I'm talking ocean to ocean pubs and piggeries. Get those ferries going and get immigrants working on them to acclimatise them to the Aussie accent. Charge one of those fees that we have to pay when we are trying to fly out of a country and they slap us with a tax to leave the damn place, I think it was like $40 in NZ? Maybe move the 128 Apostles up there to bring in some tourists too. Perfect spot to sell some Fosters too I guess.

What a cruel thing to suggest.

tithin

Neo Member
Build + assembly + 3D kit:

gKctA.jpg

Add this monitor from Dell: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=entertainment_monitor

That squeezes under $2k at $1989. Dell frequently have monitor sales too, you could wait for a 30% off sale and get that monitor a bit cheaper.

Hey question - friend of mine's saying that I should be dropping an i7 in instead of an i5, is there much of a difference in speed there? they're both quad cores right?

i7 would be overkill since not many programs would make the most of it, right Fred? The i5 is a quad core, just less threads.

What a cruel thing to suggest.

Well once they get used to that shit it will be like heaven on the mainland! Mostly it will be for tricking American tourists into thinking that Paul Hogan still puts shrimps onto barbeques and such. Plus if Pirates hit the island we can pawn off the shitty grog on them so they don't think us Australians have booze worth attacking for.

Yagharek

True enough.

Dont get me wrong, there is a certain level of hypocrisy about this. Illegal immigrants or refugees need to be stopped coming via boat from a humane perspective (ie high risk of incidents involving lots of deaths). But at the same time, they are going to keep coming by one way or another.

They need to be treating both groups the same though: plane vs boat arrivals seem to be treated quite differently afaik. But I dont know how they should be treated exactly, other than not being locked up in de facto prisons.

Personally I'm not satisfied anyone has come up with an idea that is humane and practical at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom