• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Hey question - friend of mine's saying that I should be dropping an i7 in instead of an i5, is there much of a difference in speed there? they're both quad cores right?
Barely any difference at all for gaming. Both are quad core, the main difference is it adds hyperthreading, which sort of gives you four extra virtual cores, so task manager will show eight CPUs for an i7. If you do some hefty processing stuff like video editing or raw image editing, stuff that taxes the CPU with pro software that supports hyperthreading, then an i7 is worth it. For gaming? No.

tithin

Neo Member
Barely any difference at all for gaming. Both are quad core, the main difference is it adds hyperthreading, which sort of gives you four extra virtual cores, so task manager will show eight CPUs for an i7. If you do some hefty processing stuff like video editing or raw image editing, stuff that taxes the CPU with pro software that supports hyperthreading, then an i7 is worth it. For gaming? No.

I do a bit of video editting yeah - currently doing an LP of Persona 1 on the SA forums and it usually takes a little bit to process the videos so I reckon an i7 would be best in this case. Which would you recommend?

yes jintor they do

Also

Fred needs a tag now that he builds all our PCs

imma get fred to build my next one

2nd'ed, fred assisted in my pc build also.

Clipper/Shan. Just as an idea. would it be better or useful for you guys if i took next wednesday off work for us to play board games for the day?

ps. clipper order still not marked as shipped.....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hey question - friend of mine's saying that I should be dropping an i7 in instead of an i5, is there much of a difference in speed there? they're both quad cores right?

What thread said. The four extra virtual cores of the i7 are only as useful as the programs threaded to use them. Which means in the world of gaming it's useless, for the time being anywho. Kind of like having 16GB of RAM.

Price vs performance/potential, an i5 is a better choice in my opinion. Stick an aftermarket cooler on it and you can get 1GHz+ additional performance safely and with minimal heat increase.

midonnay

Dont get me wrong, there is a certain level of hypocrisy about this. Illegal immigrants or refugees need to be stopped coming via boat from a humane perspective (ie high risk of incidents involving lots of deaths). But at the same time, they are going to keep coming by one way or another.

They need to be treating both groups the same though: plane vs boat arrivals seem to be treated quite differently afaik. But I dont know how they should be treated exactly, other than not being locked up in de facto prisons.

Personally I'm not satisfied anyone has come up with an idea that is humane and practical at the same time.

as mentioned before its probably an issue of identification...

people that come in by plane would need proper credentials to even get past all those security checks and are probably tourists or students overstaying their visa....

they are easily deported when found so they aren't locked up in detention centres for years like boat people....probably.

Yagharek

I'm going out for a bit. I'm on the verge at snapping at some of the braindead fuckwits in that other thread.

middonay: not you. Your point is good. :)

Choc

Banned
in teh senate its the fault of the greens yes

but if the coalition says yes the greens are negated.

It primarily is the fault of Abbott because he has the power to eliminate the power of the greens by coming to the table and offering bi-partisan support.

Nobody really communicated just how amazing VVVVVV is. I've been playing the 3DS version and have been getting strange looks on the train because I apparently grin lika an idiot whilst doing so.

I know I never played much of the 1st and 2nd generations of gaming consoles and that the frame rate, music and sheer size of the levels would have been impossible on even 3rd gen hardware, but damn, does it ever make me nostalgic for the Atari 2600.

Choc

Banned
ahaha pyne ejected from HOR

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS NOT FRONT PAGE NEWS?!

"The News Limited journalist who worked with James Ashby and Malcolm Brough to expose allegations of sexual harassment against the Speaker, Peter Slipper, allegedly told Mr Ashby by text, "We will get him!"
Steve Lewis also told Mr Ashby, "I will sort out payment" and "Just tell hotel to book u in again and News will sort".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/we-will-get-him-journalists-alleged-texts-to-slipper-accuser-20120626-20zl9.html#ixzz1ys79pM3e"

Choc

Banned
i shit you not, this is an official ALP mail out to households

AwSk2UHCMAAYtPz.jpg:large

Choc

Banned
A flyer sent out by Tony Abbott has potentially exposed small businesses to fines of up to $1 million each.

The Opposition Leader wrote to thousands of small business owners warning them of the impact of the carbon tax. The letter, from Mr Abbott and opposition small business spokesman Bruce Billson, is accompanied by a flyer that shop keepers - specifically butchers - have been encouraged to place in store windows.

But the Assistant Treasurer, David Bradbury, has warned that the Liberal leader has potentially exposed shop owners to fines of up to $1 million each.

looooooooooooooooooooool

Choc

Banned
oh man someone should tweet that to 5thcell :p

i love twitter bots

"Ian Carter ‏@venusboy1977
Dear #ALP MDS Anna Burke-dont #Auspol waste good #qt time on Brother Tony @AbbottPressHQ the poor pet is just #lnp upset he is balding!"

lol WTF

actually that guy is not a bot

WHAT THE

Nobody really communicated just how amazing VVVVVV is. I've been playing the 3DS version and have been getting strange looks on the train because I apparently grin lika an idiot whilst doing so.

I know I never played much of the 1st and 2nd generations of gaming consoles and that the frame rate, music and sheer size of the levels would have been impossible on even 3rd gen hardware, but damn, does it ever make me nostalgic for the Atari 2600.

VVVVVV is one of the best games I have ever played. Terry Cavanagh is a genius. Also, made in Flash for those naysayers of Actionscript!
omi :p

Stackboy

Hey Ausgaf!

I haven't posted in a few weeks because I've been really busy but I've been lurking since E3.

Tomorrow night just after 6pm I'm going to be on 4zzz in Brisbane, 102.1fm. Talking about Lansmash and modern multiplayer gaming.

You can tune in on the wireless if you live in Brisbane or catch it online on the 4zzz website.

http://www.4zzzfm.org.au/listen-online

Also, for anyone in Brisbane Lansmash is on this weekend!

http://lansmash.com/2012/wintersmash/

as mentioned before its probably an issue of identification...

people that come in by plane would need proper credentials to even get past all those security checks and are probably tourists or students overstaying their visa....

they are easily deported when found so they aren't locked up in detention centres for years like boat people....probably.

The majority of illegal immigrants in Australia are Poms and Yanks overstaying visas not refugees. That should be a bigger concern to people because a college educated native English speaker is a lot bigger chance of "stealing our jobs" than an uneducated Afghan who has grown up during three separate wars.

ahaha pyne ejected from HOR

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS NOT FRONT PAGE NEWS?!

"The News Limited journalist who worked with James Ashby and Malcolm Brough to expose allegations of sexual harassment against the Speaker, Peter Slipper, allegedly told Mr Ashby by text, "We will get him!"
Steve Lewis also told Mr Ashby, "I will sort out payment" and "Just tell hotel to book u in again and News will sort".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/we-will-get-him-journalists-alleged-texts-to-slipper-accuser-20120626-20zl9.html#ixzz1ys79pM3e"

Woah. What a prick. I'm increasingly of the opinion the MEAA should have a journalist licensing deal like engineers etc do. If you breach the code of ethics (like I'm pretty sure that does) your license gets revoked

Yagharek

The majority of illegal immigrants in Australia are Poms and Yanks overstaying visas not refugees. That should be a bigger concern to people because a college educated native English speaker is a lot bigger chance of "stealing our jobs" than an uneducated Afghan who has grown up during three separate wars.

Haha holy shit. I have never seen the argument distilled so succinctly like this. Amazing post.

Gazunta

Lansmash is the best smash.

I will tune in and listen! The hosts of the games show were very nice when I visited them back in the day.

Kritz

Banned
In perhaps Dark's most novel idea, your health gauge and special powers are one and the same. Your 'blood points' determine how many special moves you can pull off, but they also double as your hit points. Spend them all and you'll still be alive, but a hair's breadth from death. This creates a delicate balancing act between juggling your offensive capabilities with basic survival.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-26-dark-preview-vampires-done-right

FUCKIN' GOD DAMN IT MOTHER FUCKERS

/ShittyTheWizard

senahorse

Driving home from work today, lose all acceleration, luckily was able to roll into a servo.

Work out that there is no acceleration unless you put the pedal to the floor and there isn't much at all. Start calling around for a tow truck, can't find anyone that can get to us in a reasonable time (before service centres are closed etc).

Start car again, acceleration is back. Get back onto main road and drive towards service centre, after a minute lose acceleration again... Floor accelerator and able to get some momentum up. From here we were able to roll into the service centre which was about 300M from where we were when car fucked up again.

Book car into get fixed, and ask for a service to be done at the same time as it's due for the 90,000km/72 month service. Cost of service $1195, cost of fixing car, unknown.

So a bit of bad luck and a nice big bill coming tomorrow but I don't know whether to write it off as good or bad luck considering where we broke down both times...

Fredescu

Driving home from work today, lose all acceleration, luckily was able to roll into a servo.
Reminds me of the time I ran out of petrol on a downhill slope and was able to roll down the hill into a service station. On Epping road of all places, I was lucky the lights were green on Wicks rd.

Yagharek

Geeez this Slipper business is getting murkier and murkier. Looks like he was possibly set up in a most dodgy manner if today's reports are anything to go by.

Australian politics in general is heading towards a very dark and ugly place at the moment. There are very few shining lights in any position of prominence, and no real push for things to get better, let alone civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom