• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

So Sony just posted a $1.2 Bn loss for SCEE alone this year.

And in a 7 page thread I dont think a single person has tabled the idea of "going third party" yet.
Because there aren't any worth doing? I honestly can't think of any first-party title that would be valuable on MS' current or next-gen console. To me, anyway.

Maybe with the exception of GT and mmmaybe Uncharted. They're first party, right?

midonnay

Tony Fuckin Abbott everyone with a sideshow from the Greens

Gillard has the independants onsde in the house of reps for Malaysia. Abbott says if they stick with him he will boost the intake to 20k a year.

Greens and Coalition will block in the senate

the malaysia solution already will boost the UNHCR refugee intake to 20k.... plagiarism

I'm not sure whats up with the Greens....

you can't bitch about being inhumane and turn a blind eye to people dying in leaky boats while advocating a system where it encourages the need to continue the perilous journey across the ocean.

I guess their real aim is to slowly kill off Labor >_>

Say what you want about Labor, but their policy is the most coherent out of all the shit being slung by all politicians.

you come by boat? we send you to Malaysia....but we accept 4 who are stuck in Malaysian refugee camps. At the same time we will increase the annual intake of UNHCR refugees to a sizeable amount too.

Sure that sounds harsh on face value for people who have made such a desperate journey.....but people forget how shitty it is to be stuck in a Malaysian refugee camp. Some of these people have been there for 20 years as an alien in no man's land and in barely habitable conditions.

Obviously there are still chinks to be worked out..... like is 800 all Malaysia will accept or can it be expanded as the need arises. How will the refugees we send back really be treated? Apparently the plan is to resettle them in another country.

In short

Liberals = Stick
Greens = Carrot
Labor = Carrot and Stick

Parappa is the only worthwhile Playstation franchise. Also I think they own Lemmings now, not that it's really been relevant for a long time? Everybody's Golf is pretty rad too, though I suck at it. Oh yeah, Gravity Rush. That's neat so far.

Third party games were the lifeblood of the PS1/2/P.

hamchan

Wot I think of Sony 1st party:

Naughty Dog are one of the best developers in the world.
Sony Santa Monica have been making good God of War games for 7 years now.
Studio Liverpool make Wipeout so they're awesome too.
Sucker Punch is solid with Sly and Infamous.
Media Molecule some would say are great even though I'm meh to the LBP games.
Team Ico are awesome, sure hope the Last Guardian comes out within the next 5 years.
Project Siren, ex-Silent Hill guys, made good game Siren: Blood Curse. Made Gravity Rush which people say is good, never tried it because I have to own a Vita for that.
Sony Bend made Syphon Filter, loved that series back on PS1.
Guerilla Games made Killzone which is meh.
Polyphony Digital, love GT, wish GT6 could come out sooner.

Yagharek

Because there aren't any worth doing? I honestly can't think of any first-party title that would be valuable on MS' current or next-gen console. To me, anyway.

Maybe with the exception of GT and mmmaybe Uncharted. They're first party, right?

Sony have more first party than Microsoft by leagues.

Fredescu

Is that one person you?
Even when one loves to argue, one can recognise arguments that one has participated in before and realises they leave one open to retorts such as "but Microsoft own Windows, they're a first party" which is often then followed by "Microsoft closed off all their PC centric developers and went from publishing an average of 6 PC titles per year between the early 90s and the mid 00s, to publishing nothing for PC three years in a row (ok, I might have made a graph for this at one point for the purpose of an internet argument), effectively abandoning the platform, and in fact actively harming it by closing profitable PC developers and by half arsing things like Games for Windows Live. Actual first parties don't abandon active and profitable platforms that are still technically up to date." Unfortunately that usually takes us back to "but Microsoft own Windows, they're a first party." So that one person might have been me once, but now I'm older and... somethinger.

That sounds like a 'no' to me.

With an additional "And I wish I had never, at one point in my youth, tried to argue the damn point. Especially for fun. And on the internet." sentiment.

Cannot work out how to import a .csv into a .abs :(
Night ruined.

Wot I think of Sony 1st party:

Naughty Dog are one of the best developers in the world.
Sony Santa Monica have been making good God of War games for 7 years now.
Studio Liverpool make Wipeout so they're awesome too.
Sucker Punch is solid with Sly and Infamous.
Media Molecule some would say are great even though I'm meh to the LBP games.
Team Ico are awesome, sure hope the Last Guardian comes out within the next 5 years.
Project Siren, ex-Silent Hill guys, made good game Siren: Blood Curse. Made Gravity Rush which people say is good, never tried it because I have to own a Vita for that.
Sony Bend made Syphon Filter, loved that series back on PS1.
Guerilla Games made Killzone which is meh.
Polyphony Digital, love GT, wish GT6 could come out sooner.

Fuck yeah. Awesome lineup.
Love Sucker Punch, the Sly and Infamous games are awesome. Sony Bend have done great things on the portables so far.

I love fun in games and Sony seems to deliver that to me more often than a Microsoft title. Well, fun that I enjoy anyway.

Deeku

Get brogue boots!
Aww yeah!

ZKthh.jpg

That or a yes and here's why, but framed like a no to discourage further debate.
Sounds more like someone trying to have their cake and eat it.

Edit: To all hipster doofuses (or is that doofi?): Is the current trend to have one's pants rolled up? I'm seeing that a lot, lately. Once, there was a time where people were ridiculed for not having well-fitted pants. Is that time behind us? Were we then savages, not understanding the true majesty of the tuck? I need to know, so that I may integrate into society at an acceptable level.

Deeku

Edit: To all hipster doofuses (or is that doofi?): Is the current trend to have one's pants rolled up? I'm seeing that a lot, lately. Once, there was a time where people were ridiculed for not having well-fitted pants. Is that time behind us? Were we then savages, not understanding the true majesty of the tuck? I need to know, so that I may integrate into society at an acceptable level.
It's been the style for a while now, where have you been?! Doing up top button on a shirt is also a thing.

Man dresses too. Oh, and overalls! But we have already been through this topic!

The Charleston. That's still a thing, yes?

Onions on the belt: Yes/No?

While I await your answers I shall begin furling my pants. There will be no pointing and laughing at me tomorrow. No sir. For tomorrow... TOMORROW!!... I become one of you.

Dead Man

While I await your answers I shall begin furling my pants. There will be no pointing and laughing at me tomorrow. No sir. For tomorrow... TOMORROW!!... I become one of you.

Only if you remember to say Nineteen Dickety Two becuase of the damn Kaiser.

We were watching Heathers tonight, and the PC kept powering on and off in the corner for some reason. Went to investigate the issue, and after eliminating the possibility of a phantom playing tricks on us, determined that the six-year-old Antec PSU was dead. The PC won't boot up at all now.

Anyway, my plan is to make a frankenpc using newish parts from other PCs lying around here.

The CPU, MB, memory and CPU will be removed from my current gaming pc, and transplanted into the dead PC's case, as they are from 2007.

To replace the parts I'll be taking from my gaming PC, I have looked at the following from PCCG.

Any other recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks

NEHlc.png

Deeku

Dandy hipster is the best hipster! Make sure you have some funky socks to show off under those rolled up pants, jase!

Salazar said:
Urgh.

Gonna wait a little while on those McQueen boots. Maybe Christmas.
It's an acquired taste.

Those boots are nice, but I've never liked mcqueen. All those crazy skulls and stuff.

hamchan

I'm now 2/3rds of the way through MGS3 and yep, it's still awesome. Much better than any other game I've played this year. I finished MGS2 last week, after MGS3 I have the Twin Snakes, Peace Walker and MGS4 lined up. Also Metal Gear Acid on PSP which I feel gets not enough love.

Deeku

I'm now 2/3rds of the way through MGS3 and yep, it's still awesome. Much better than any other game I've played this year. I finished MGS2 last week, after MGS3 I have the Twin Snakes, Peace Walker and MGS4 lined up. Also Metal Gear Acid on PSP which I feel gets not enough love.
YES, so good. 2 is even better with the awesome cel shading!

Still tossing up whether I should get the collection for vita. I read in the ot that it's like 30 frames or something:eek:

Just put some stuff up on ebay for sale. Haven't used ebay to sell in years, will be interesting how it all goes considering all the horror stories I've been hearing about dodgy buyers and what not.

We were watching Heathers tonight, and the PC kept powering on and off in the corner for some reason. Went to investigate the issue, and after eliminating the possibility of a phantom playing tricks on us, determined that the six-year-old Antec PSU was dead. The PC won't boot up at all now.

Anyway, my plan is to make a frankenpc using newish parts from other PCs lying around here.

The CPU, MB, memory and CPU will be removed from my current gaming pc, and transplanted into the dead PC's case, as they are from 2007.

To replace the parts I'll be taking from my gaming PC, I have looked at the following from PCCG.

Thanks

NEHlc.png
I was so excited, I thought this was going to be a post about Heathers. :(
the malaysia solution already will boost the UNHCR refugee intake to 20k.... plagiarism
Say what you want about Labor, but their policy is the most coherent out of all the shit being slung by all politicians.

you come by boat? we send you to Malaysia....but we accept 4 who are stuck in Malaysian refugee camps. At the same time we will increase the annual intake of UNHCR refugees to a sizeable amount too.

Sure that sounds harsh on face value for people who have made such a desperate journey.....but people forget how shitty it is to be stuck in a Malaysian refugee camp. Some of these people have been there for 20 years as an alien in no man's land and in barely habitable conditions.

Obviously there are still chinks to be worked out..... like is 800 all Malaysia will accept or can it be expanded as the need arises. How will the refugees we send back really be treated? Apparently the plan is to resettle them in another country.

In short
Liberals = Stick
Greens = Carrot
Labor = Carrot and Stick
Hmmm, while the Malaysia solution is okayish, I do have two issues with it. Firstly, I'm not really keen on making an example of desperate people by condemning them to what will likely be many years in a Malaysian camp with no access to education or employment. I also don't think refugees are as well informed or connected as we'd like to believe. Will they even know about this swap? I doubt it.

Jintor

I wonder if politicians think that people who pay exhobitant amounts of money to people who routinely capsize into the sea are making well-thought out, fully-researched and non-desperate decisions.

I wonder if politicians think that people who pay exhobitant amounts of money to people who routinely capsize into the sea are making well-thought out, fully-researched and non-desperate decisions.
Because they are rich queue jumping country shoppers. Duh.

Maybe if the government/ opposition stopped thinking the dumbest people made up the biggest portion of the voting population we'd be seeing better policy. But they'll never know because all we've got to choose from is awful and slightly-less-awful.

Fredescu

Looks pretty sweet fappe. I usually buy full sized motherboards because I feel I might miss out on some sweet cards to add down the track, but in reality the only card I've bought in five years has been a TV tuner card that I used once for the 06/07 Ashes and never again. So mATX is probably fine.

Jase is Grandpa Simpson confirmed.
Only if you remember to say Nineteen Dickety Two becuase of the damn Kaiser.
Fuck.
Man I bought the HD collection and just can't do it. I just cant deal with the horrible dialogue and the stupid radio scenes. I mean I can deal with dialogue and talking in fame's but fuck off with the stupid radio scenes.

I'm going to make myself play them but right now it's gone to the bottom of the pile. I just can't get into it

midonnay

I was so excited, I thought this was going to be a post about Heathers. :(

Hmmm, while the Malaysia solution is okayish, I do have two issues with it. Firstly, I'm not really keen on making an example of desperate people by condemning them to what will likely be many years in a Malaysian camp with no access to education or employment. I also don't think refugees are as well informed or connected as we'd like to believe. Will they even know about this swap? I doubt it.

apparently the plan is for people sent back to malaysia to have the right to work. (although corruption is pretty bad in the country). Australia will also foot the cost of accommodation and resettling them in a third country. (which may take years)

Basically its a hugely expensive deterrent factor.....but imo its better than turning a blind eye to the constant risk of boats capsizing within our borders.

I think you're underestimating how informed they are.

eg: there was that family whose boat nearly crashed near Australia but they decided to move on to New Zealand because they believed they would have a better chance of resettlement.

ps: what happened to them anyways???

Shaneus

Sony have more first party than Microsoft by leagues.
Not talking about MS going third party. Talking about Sony.

Just put some stuff up on ebay for sale. Haven't used ebay to sell in years, will be interesting how it all goes considering all the horror stories I've been hearing about dodgy buyers and what not.
Damnit, man... you're supposed to mention it here first so we can buy some of your old, worthless crap!

I haven't played a Metal Gear game since the NES one where you hide in boxes. Is the HD remake worth it if you hate stealth games with insta-fail when detected?

apparently the plan is for people sent back to malaysia to have the right to work. (although corruption is pretty bad in the country). Australia will also foot the cost of accommodation and resettling them in a third country. (which may take years)

Basically its a hugely expensive deterrent factor.....but imo its better than turning a blind eye to the constant risk of boats capsizing within our borders.
Will the boats really stop coming though? How will these often uneducated refugees know about the swap, especially if they cant speak the local language? Will they know it's a one off thing? Will the push factors force them to keep coming anyway? I'm glad to see the government is making an effort, especially with the rights of the 800, but it's highly possible it might be all in vain.

Dead Man

It will not deter people. If things like that deterred people, people would only show up at the friendliest countries. They do not. It is a tricky problem, but just throwing out deterrents is no solution. Effort must be placed on regional countries to address the problem along with Australia, and Australia should work with Malaysia, Indonesia etc to resettle refugees. The numbers are not that big.

midonnay

It will not deter people. If things like that deterred people, people would only show up at the friendliest countries. They do not. It is a tricky problem, but just throwing out deterrents is no solution. Effort must be placed on regional countries to address the problem along with Australia, and Australia should work with Malaysia, Indonesia etc to resettle refugees. The numbers are not that big.

I think the plan is to END UP at the friendliest countries but inhumane countries like many in South East Asia are a stepping stone to Australia and New Zealand. (or Africa a stepping stone to Europe etc)

anyways we won't know until we try.....

the same shit has been continuing on for years and hundreds of people have died.

Except I think we used up all our favours from Indonesia on drug smugglers. First we should probably fix up relations. (Hint: this does not include halting the whole cattle trade without warning because of a TV show Julia).

Dead Man

BTW..... I think the plan is to END UP at the friendliest countries but inhumane countries like many in South East Asia are a stepping stone to Australia and New Zealand.

anyways we won't know until we try.....

the same shit has been continuing on for years and hundreds of people have died.

We have tried. We tried claiming they never got to Australia, we tried holding them for 12 months on Christmas Island. Neither has worked. Australia is already far from the easiest country to get to, and far from the easiest to get into. My point about friendly countries was to indicate that places like Canada should be overrun since they have no detention beyond a week on average, and a great quality of life, and very accepting culture, but they are not. If difficulty was a consideration, Canada would be fucked. It isn't, therefore the focus must be on making the process of seeking asylum fast and safe. Not moving people from country to country as some sort of punishment for being an ethinc minority that is being killed.

Except I think we used up all our favours from Indonesia on drug smugglers. First we should probably fix up relations. (Hint: this does not include halting the whole cattle trade without warning because of a TV show Julia).

:) Indeed. But what I mean is not forcing Indonesia to do more, but to work with other countries to have a united resettlement policy rather than the pile of excrement that every country in our region has now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom