• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a telemarketing call. Was the Aussiest sounding bloke I had ever heard so I assumed it was someone I knew from uni, started off by telling me the call was recorded for coaching (as we have to here in Australia) and then asked my who I barrack for.

Just from the simple fact that it was someone easy to talk to about the deal (Foxtel and new footy channel) almost made me think about joining up. Aside from the fact it is a damn good setup with the live, uninterrupted games it was nice to talk to someone without that 1.5 second delay between my phone and a call centre overseas.

Also here are links to get Android 4.0 running on a HP Touchpad. Nice and straightforward even for a nufty like me. Seems to be fully featured at this point aside from the camera, which I can't see being an issue for anyone.

rPBpi.gif

EDIT: ICS on Touchpad is a mindblowing experience. That ICS keyboard is a revelation. I want that keyboard to use at work.

EDIT2: This thing synced up the alarms I have for work. I like this Android stuff.

Choc

Banned
Cauliflower pizza is amazing!

edit: shane they had live cross to the track at 8am this morning on ABC24 and some of the cars were on the track

wtf were they doing i thought they were not allowed on track until Friday? any idea?

Basically, Google has patented ringback adverts.

So, in Google’s vision, you’d receive adverts while waiting for someone (or some company) to pick up. Instead of hearing the ‘famous’ ringback sound, you’ll hear an ad. That way you don’t lose any additional time while listening to the ad, because you would have listened to something anyway.
Link.

As someone who spends a lot of the day calling people I can see this being both a bother and a great idea. Rather than being annoyed while I am eating my tea companies can advertise while I am sitting around waiting for an answer. At the same time it could lead to work place distraction and loss of productivity as you lose your track of mind while being advertised at.

Shaneus

Came home, sickbeard had done its thing :)

Regretting going with newzbin though, doesn't want to work properly, I even paid money ffs.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK. Newzbin is awesome. If it's not working, the client you're using may be out of date and pointing to newzbin.com rather than newzbin2.es.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. Newzbin is awesome. If it's not working, the client you're using may be out of date and pointing to newzbin.com rather than newzbin2.es.

Running the latest sickbeard. Grabs older stuff okay, grabbed something from last year, new stuff it has no luck.

edit: shane they had live cross to the track at 8am this morning on ABC24 and some of the cars were on the track

wtf were they doing i thought they were not allowed on track until Friday? any idea?

Good stuff Choc, pizza is nice and easy as well. What did you put on it ?

Just had our first game back of mixed netball, and got smashed :(
It's insane how buggered I get afterward, you wouldn't think it being netball and all.

Shaneus

Um, they had a two-seater on, I think McLaren's 2011 car for that speed trial thing (Supercar vs F1 vs Something Else) but that's it (as far as F1-esque cars go). Other than that, there were Porsches, Formula Fords and some pissy little Renault thing in lieu (I think) of the celebrity race.

Danoss

Sounds like things are picking up!

Also who is your avatar?

Haven't found any work, but I'm okay with that. I bought some new board games and retail therapy is always good.

My avatar is some pic I found on an undead themed tumblr.

Did end up having to go to that shitty function?

Nah, I said I had a "family commitment". They knew I had my Gran at home that I do stuff for, so they didn't question it. A friend also informed me that "family commitment" is the magic phrase that gets you out of basically anything and you cannot be penalised/punished for it.

I've found nzbmatrix.com pretty good on the whole. Occasionally screws up for a day or two but otherwise reliable.

After using both quite some time ago, I much preferred nzbmatrix myself, I find it far superior. The issues seem to have stopped now they have migrated to the new hardware. I would use nzbs.org when matrix was down and occasionally when matrix doesn't have/is late posting the nzb for what I'm looking for.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Haha Diablo 3 and it's always online battle net stuff. Nope, not for me.

I do feel sorry for torchlight though, that's going to be a big kick in the balls.

legend166

I played the Diablo III Beta. I thought it was pretty boring.

Not sure why they got rid of talent trees. Unless that's a Beta only thing.

Fogz

Waking up to the news that CBS bought Giant Bomb is the worst way to wake up.

Not even Diablo 3 release date can make it better :p

Danoss

After the success of WoW, it seems Blizzard wants to appeal to the masses, anything else is unacceptable. I'm sure this attitude is aided by words from the top of Activision.

I was originally excited by the announcement of Diablo 3, but as time passed and new announcements were made about it, the less I cared. The interest in the game has dwidled along with my interest for video games in general.

As with WoW, it appears that every decision that was made was to make the game appeal to the largest number of people possible. I get that a company exists to make money, I never forget that fact. The problem with appealing to everyone is that the end product starts to seem so bland, that the core audience is lost.

This is a small example of why I don't play video games anymore. They don't seem like they're meant for me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
4 maybe 5 people lined up outside for an iPad. It's going off!

Had a quick play with one just before. It's an iPad, with a clearer screen. Um.. that's kinda it. I personally can't see the fuss over it compared to the iPad2. It's always seemed clear and bright.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of foot traffic today instead of people lining up like last time. Picking up something after work is easier than doing it at 8 or 9am in the morning.

remz

Had a quick play with one just before. It's an iPad, with a clearer screen. Um.. that's kinda it. I personally can't see the fuss over it compared to the iPad2. It's always seemed clear and bright.
There was an apple store employee in front of me in the line at a coffee shop this morning, he was trying to sell one to the guy working there and essentially siad the same thing, ahahahah. not the best salesmen ever.

hamchan

So, waking up and finding Giant Bomb is now being owned by the same company that they originally all bailed from in the first place isn't a good way to start the day.

midonnay

Sell it back to the same guys that fired Jeff and that Ryan, Brad, Vinny all quit from? They're pretty much back at Gamespot now, full circle from 4 years ago.

the company that owns gamespot anyways

its not like News limited or Gawker media would have been better choices.

Who knows, they might end up steve jobbing gamespot ..... they seem to have a more entrenched following >_>

So why is it a big deal Giant Bomb got sold aside from the fact its a corporation owning a little company? Also why do people care if Tested and GB are owned by different companies.

After playing through the Diablo 3 beta, I'm not at all interested in it. It's like they took Diablo 2, put a nice engine around it, removed the complexity and didn't replace it with anything worthwhile at all.

It was a good game a decade ago, but all they've done is make the same game. No risk at all. Like with Starcraft 2 really. I guess Blizzard are terrified of innovation nowadays.

Pass.

jambo

I'll probably get D3, love me some multiplayer gaming with AusGAF.

When the hell is Torchlight 2 supposed to be coming out? D3 might actually beat it...

Well the screen is 4 x the resolution, which is a pretty big jump. Plus it has a new CPU/GPU, a new camera and some other features. It's not that big a jump, but I'll still be getting one as I've found a buyer for my iPad 2.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I wonder if the 8am sale for iPads is a bit of a fizzle. We still have a good amount of stock and while I still expect them to move over the course of the day, It's nothing like it was last year with an afterwork sale.

Should be interesting to see how it goes throughout the day, No doubt in my mind we will sell out.

jambo

you are not going to agree with me but in comparison to Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne are a dream to drive in

Adelaide's the best. I can't remember the last time I heard someone honk their horn.

Peak hour traffic can be pretty bad, but I'm so laid back and relaxed when I'm driving that I don't really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom