• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Maaan, this Giant Bomb / Tested split is a bit of a downer.

Mythbusters have picked up the Tested guys.
Gamespot's parent company have picked up Giant bomb.

It's going to be a weird couple of months.

Choc

Banned
everyone ordered online this time.

mine just arrived. there is no good reason to line-up.

post pics

edit: gamespot via cbsi taking giantbomb back is the ULTIMATE revenge for gerstmann

i imagine when they found out he was starting his own site they laughed it off

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have a great camera, but sure, I guess

basically, it's an iPad 2. But with a RIDICULOUS screen. Reading on this thing is going to be so damn easy.

Choc

Banned
ABC 24 had an interesting graph yesterday, Dow Jones vs ASX 200 over the past five years

basically the US market has recovered to the same point as it was 5 years ago before the GFC where as Australia is well behind what it was 5 years ago

AND WE HAVE THE STRONGER ECONOMY

clearly, our politics situation right now is destroying confidence that should be there and sending us into a downturn we need not have

useless fuckheads in canberra

Just died in Dark Souls after being poisoned by rats, had over 5000 souls, and it's miles from the last bonfire.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Stackboy

So today we have a Diablo 3 release date, news that Giant Bomb has been bought by CBS and I'm finishing work today at 2 so I can shoot away to the beach for the weekend and have Monday off as well.

What a weird day.

I do feel sorry for torchlight though, that's going to be a big kick in the balls.
No one to blame but themselves, was meant to be out last year. If they miss the boat they are going to miss out on a LOT of sales going to Diablo 3. Mate of mine is a huge Diablo fan and loved Torchlight but today he has zero interest in Torchlight now.

Haddin is leaving cricket forever for personal reasons.
Fixed unless he makes it back before the tests.

So, waking up and finding Giant Bomb is now being owned by the same company that they originally all bailed from in the first place isn't a good way to start the day.
Maaan, this Giant Bomb / Tested split is a bit of a downer.

Mythbusters have picked up the Tested guys.
Gamespot's parent company have picked up Giant bomb.

It's going to be a weird couple of months.
I thought Giant Bomb was independent? Don't they take subscriptions from people to have HD YouTubes or something?

Seems very strange they would let themselves get bought out by the parent company of who they were trying to get away from in the first place, unless Giant Bomb was a way to convince Gamespot to give them more authority concerning decision making.

only 40 people in line at apple sydney when they opened

hype fail?
More likely that after buying 7 iPhones and 2 iPads people are living on the street and can't afford to buy a third iPad.

Xenoblade with red controller for $50: http://www.mightyape.com.au/product...udes-Limited-Edition-Red-controller/19574852/

Has it been that cheap before?
LOGS had it for around that price a while back (now back up around $65) but if MightApe ever ships it and doesn't double charge your card that is a pretty great deal. Xenoblade by itself is $39 at LOGS too.

wasn't that the point of Giant bomb?

build traffic and then sell the startup >_>
Seems a bit cynical man.

I thought Giant Bomb was independent? Don't they take subscriptions from people to have HD YouTubes or something?
Kind of. they were owned by Whiskey Media, which also owned Tested, Comic Vine, Giantbomb and someone else, I think.

Whiskey Media was bought out by someone else and then they immediately sold Giantbomb to CBS and Tested to another company, I think.

Gazunta

As someone who once sold his site to GameSpot I will just wish them all the best of luck and hope they got way more money than I did :)

Yagharek

Wait, so the iPad 3 is just known as iPad or "The New iPad"?

Going to be confusing when the new new iPad comes out I guess. iPad 3/3s perhaps.

Still, it'll probably sell millions.

Yagharek

i understand the backlash or the reason why they left gamespot, but gamespot never really caught me as a well written site or one that was worthwhile. It was basically gamepro in internet form when I last looked at it 8-10 years ago.

And thus giantbomb never really appealed.

I can't imagine going back to the mothership is going to help anything. Just another ign.

Jintor

...I'm not quite sure what you just said besides "I don't really follow GiantBomb and Gamespot used to not appeal to me either"

*shrug*

/edit Oh, I read 'just another ign' as 'just another sign' and was wondering 'of what?'. Nevermind.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh, You can get bigpond cable 500GB for $100? No wonder why x3n and rahk switched over.

That's super tempting haha. Considering we pay $100, only on adsl1 and get 200GB a month.

Yagharek

...I'm not quite sure what you just said besides "I don't really follow GiantBomb and Gamespot used to not appeal to me either"

*shrug*

/edit Oh, I read 'just another ign' as 'just another sign' and was wondering 'of what?'. Nevermind.

Basically gamespot then giantbomb never struck me as anything special, in fact they always reminded me of the lite reading you would expect from ign, gamepro, 1up etc.

I dont think they had distinguished themselves as say edge or nextgen had done so.

I appreciate they had a market, but that market doesnt include me.

jambo

Going to be confusing when the new new iPad comes out I guess. iPad 3/3s perhaps.

They've moved it over to the iPod naming scheme

iPad (third generation)

Also I just bought one.

Jintor

Basically gamespot then giantbomb never struck me as anything special, in fact they always reminded me of the lite reading you would expect from ign, gamepro, 1up etc.

I dont think they had distinguished themselves as say edge or nextgen had done so.

I appreciate they had a market, but that market doesnt include me.

It's the downside of being so personality-focused, though I think in the realm of entertainment journalism it might be the best way forward (even though it focuses markets so greatly)

Yagharek

It's the downside of being so personality-focused, though I think in the realm of entertainment journalism it might be the best way forward (even though it focuses markets so greatly)

I agree - you need only look at the reaction of the gaming forum and others in this thread - people obviously cared for giantbomb as it gave them what they wanted.

Meanwhile, I've long since come to accept that good magazines die.

What I would give to see Arcade again.

hamchan

The New iPad. Probably a good idea to save the iPad 3 name for a model that has more changes and is more innovative I guess.

MontTrain

Banned
It's just iPad. Just like it's not a MacBook Pro 5 or iMac 20. Apple are positioning their devices as just the name so they can update them incrementally and people wont winge that it's not worthy of a number update. Eg. 4S vs 5

Agyar

The New iPad. Probably a good idea to save the iPad 3 name for a model that has more changes and is more innovative I guess.

If this was the case, wouldn't you expect Apple to have utilised the 'S' and made it the iPad 2S?

My guess is that the iPad (and perhaps the iPhone in future releases) is going to fall in with the rest of Apple's product lineup and just have the product name with no version numbers (Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, iMac, iPod Nano etc.). Gen # will be used for small print differentiation of revisions but otherwise, the iPad will always just be the iPad every year.

hamchan

Personally I think it's dumb to get rid of the numbers. People get hyped when the number actually goes up because that normally signals a big change in an Apple product. Maybe they want people to get super hyped every year instead of just when the number goes up. I just see people not getting super hyped ever again.

jambo

Personally I think it's dumb to get rid of the numbers. People get hyped when the number actually goes up because that normally signals a big change in an Apple product. Maybe they want people to get super hyped every year instead of just when the number goes up. I just see people not getting super hyped ever again.

So people won't be super hyped when the new iPhone comes out?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
As people have already pointed out getting rid of the numbers is probably going to be normal for the iPad and iPhone. Everything else they release is simply listed as MacBook early/late/mid (year) and since the iPad and iPhone should be around about a yearly release, It will simply be known internally as iPad (year). This one would be iPad 2012, early could be thrown in there but I doubt they are going to release another version later in the year.

jambo

vIVvel.jpg

As someone who once sold his site to GameSpot I will just wish them all the best of luck and hope they got way more money than I did :)

met a guy who liked VPPA today. He said you made a good game. I disagreed and he pulled out a knife. Then i recanted and agreed and he put the knife away and bought me cheesecake.
True story
apart from the knife and the cheesecake

Its cold in canada (vancouver island)- as cold as it was in san francisco the other day. Going back to SF for a night before heading back to australia. Canada is nicer than America. There, I said it.

Canada. It's spelt with a can. Not a can't.

Its cold in canada (vancouver island)- as cold as it was in san francisco the other day. Going back to SF for a night before heading back to australia. Canada is nicer than America. There, I said it.
Vancouver Island is a beautiful place. Not many people, not developed that much. Sort of like going to Stradbroke Island. I wish I'd been able to spend longer there.

Also, Canada is much nicer than most places. There, I said it.

CryptiK

Just had a telemarketing call. Was the Aussiest sounding bloke I had ever heard so I assumed it was someone I knew from uni, started off by telling me the call was recorded for coaching (as we have to here in Australia) and then asked my who I barrack for.

Just from the simple fact that it was someone easy to talk to about the deal (Foxtel and new footy channel) almost made me think about joining up. Aside from the fact it is a damn good setup with the live, uninterrupted games it was nice to talk to someone without that 1.5 second delay between my phone and a call centre overseas.

Also here are links to get Android 4.0 running on a HP Touchpad. Nice and straightforward even for a nufty like me. Seems to be fully featured at this point aside from the camera, which I can't see being an issue for anyone.

rPBpi.gif

EDIT: ICS on Touchpad is a mindblowing experience. That ICS keyboard is a revelation. I want that keyboard to use at work.

EDIT2: This thing synced up the alarms I have for work. I like this Android stuff.
Just did this and wow its fast and easy. Doesnt seem slow or have slow downs at all. Is it safe to make purchases through the market place with this?

Oh, You can get bigpond cable 500GB for $100? No wonder why x3n and rahk switched over.

That's super tempting haha. Considering we pay $100, only on adsl1 and get 200GB a month.

We pay 99 a month with Optus cable. Get 1TB and unlimited Australia-wide calls (inc long distance and mobile). It's usually 129 a month though as we got a deal.

Cryptik, all Android apps purchased elsewhere appear on my TouchPad using the same account. If you're unsure about buying through the tab just buy on another computer at market.android.com...

CryptiK

We pay 99 a month with Optus cable. Get 1TB and unlimited Australia-wide calls (inc long distance and mobile). It's usually 129 a month though as we got a deal.

Cryptik, all Android apps purchased elsewhere appear on my TouchPad using the same account. If you're unsure about buying through the tab just buy on another computer at market.android.com...
Sweet thanks man also what DPI setting are you guys using?

That it will. Though I'll refer to it as "Super iPad 2" until a the next one hits. Maybe I might call that one "Super iPad 2 Turbo" if it's not much more than "better camera, better display".

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So as vook just found out the stm skinnys for your iPad don't work correctly. So don't go buying one if you picked up an iPad 3.

The stm grips do work along with the iPad 2 STM kickers. I'm pretty sure the grip is just the kicker 2.0, does the same shit.

Stm always screws something up with their cases. Now everyone has hundreds they need to send back, like us :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom