• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
I always felt bioware kinda sucked at story, I mean they do some good characters and side stuff, but the main stuff always feels kinda blehargertly

Hype hurts big games I find. No shock to see it happen again.
Removing yourself from the hype cycle as much as possible is a great thing. I knew Mass Effect 3 was coming out, I know I wanted, but I avoided previews and such a month or two before release. Besides discussion here and checking the overall MetaCritic score (OK, and maybe a review or two), I've still kept away. I have other stuff to play so I'll get to it when I can, but I don't feel the need to grab it right this second.

The only downsides are a smaller multi player community when I get around to it, and not being part of the discussion right now. That's it.

Danoss

The D&D session today was incredible. So many fun, awesome moments and hilarity were had. The highlight was an ambush by a bunch of Goblins after we had just dropped 2 groups of them and knocked off a giant centipede. They appeared in great number across a crevasse with us left very exposed.

I dropped a shroud of shadows around the group to give us some cover from the hail of javelins that followed. Our Goliath Barbarian threw a grappling hook into the chest of one of the Goblins across they way and pulled him into the crevasse (a 20 foot drop); he then leaped (10 feet) onto the opposite ledge in the midst of a group of them. Such a brilliant heroic moment. The imagery that left of what the Goblins would have seen, the surprise on their faces, was priceless.

There were a lot of great moments that transpired throughout the session, but that was a standout. How we nailed that encounter was fantastic, especially since it was the third encounter in a row without a short rest; so many encounter and daily powers were spent, heal spells were at a premium by that point. If they GM rolled any better, we could've been in some serious strife.

Also, welcome back Scarlet.

Well, that's Uncharted 3 out of the way. With it goes any love I once had for the series. I hated - hated - every second of shooting that it contained. I was getting so frustrated with the formula of just adding more types and volume of infuriating enemies - especially the bullet sponge fuckers - that I cracked at Chapter 19.

A mere 5 or 6 chapters from the end, and with all signs pointing at it only getting worse towards the end, I considered something I don't think I've ever done before - lowering the difficulty to very easy. I was at a point where I either had to make the combat so easy that I could breeze through it or I was going to just stop and never finish the game. I chose the former.

After that point, the combat slowed down, so I think it was mainly for nothing.

So I finished it. Hooray, or something. I can't remember hating the shooting of the last two games quite this much. I think that had to do more with Naughty Dogs decision to throw enemies at you from all directions, add a completely useless and sometimes disadvantageous melee combat in the game and rely heavily on the sniper and bullet sponge combo.

I think I remember liking some parts of the game but really they were completely and utterly lost in a sea of frustration at the shit shooting which seemed to dominate the game. Rote action sequences of running at the camera and total destruction of every set piece rounded out the majority of the game. Adding extra-sloppy-on-ice handling Drake was a bold decision, as was making him a creepy "must touch everything I walk past" pervert.

The parts that I did enjoy I barely had an input in. It was nice when the characters talked amongst themselves and left me out of it. Maybe I've changed over the last 4 years; maybe Uncharted has; I'm not sure who it is but something definitely has. I might go back and play the first two, at some point, to remove the bad taste from my mouth. Or maybe they are memories best left untouched.

5/5 STARS.
(sorry, kritz)

Darklord

Banned
Nope, because I loved ME and ME2 enough to finish them 4 times each. I have no urge to replay ME3 because of that ending. Holy shit it was so bad.

I want to play ME3 but the reaction to the ending, man, I can't muster up the effort. I feel like I should play it to see it to the end but I'm going in knowing I won't like the ending.

Shaneus

Damn, this grand prix thing is really taking it out of me. But damned if it isn't the most fun I've had in a long, long time. Helps that the weather was absolutely fucking amazing, too. And that I didn't get burnt (I don't think).

Yagharek

Removing yourself from the hype cycle as much as possible is a great thing.

Indeed. The hype cycle is just marketing posing as hopeful speculation from fans.

Well, that's Uncharted 3 out of the way. With it goes any love I once had for the series. I hated - hated - every second of shooting that it contained. I was getting so frustrated with the formula of just adding more types and volume of infuriating enemies - especially the bullet sponge fuckers - that I cracked at Chapter 19.

uncharted 3 was poo. Welcome to the winning team.

Salazar

Rewatching The Witches again.

2nk3k.gif

The cleaner you are, the more a witch can smell you. Dahl logic <3

Danoss

http://i.imgur.com/2nk3k.gif[IMG]

The cleaner you are, the more a witch can smell you. Dahl logic <3[/QUOTE]

Great book and film. I watched the movie again recently, it held up so well, it's like no time has passed; it has lost none of it's charm at all. Even though I read the book as a child, when I saw the movie for the first time soon after, I was absolutely terrified during the meeting/reveal scene. Fucking hell it was scary, just about took my breath away.

Another Roald Dahl book I loved was Matilda, at the time I read it, it really appealed to me. Also, look at this scene from the Matilda movie, it's been reversed for enhanced hilarity: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDfxjFNxRAk[/url]

lol, so much better backwards >.<

[IMttp://i.imgur.com/2nk3k.gif[/IMG]

The cleaner you are, the more a witch can smell you. Dahl logic <3

What a great way to make kids stop bathing. I went back and read the book after the previous witches discussion. It was a pretty great book, except for the bit where
he lived in mouse years and was going to die soon..

Danoss

lol, so much better backwards >.<

lol, great way to make kids stop bathing. I went back and read the book after the previous witches discussion. It was a pretty great book, except for the bit where
he lived in mouse years and was going to die soon..

I was disappointed they changed it in the movie to make for a happy ending. I swore that wasn't in the book, but it had been so long since I read the book I couldn't recall. I wish they kept it, Dahl didn't sugarcoat things which I really respect. It's such a rare thing to deliver things like that to children these days.

We need some more terrifying/saddening things for kids like The Witches, The Dark Crystal, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Goonies, E.T., Return to Oz, Bambi, and The Neverending Story to name some that I remember making me cry or extremely scared/uncomfortable/sad as a child.

Choc

Banned
dan you know in this PC age that will never happen

its ridiculous how much kids are cotton wolled these days, its why they think they are fucking invincible for one

and why they think the world owes them everything and nothing ever bad happens.

dan you know in this PC age that will never happen

its ridiculous how much kids are cotton wolled these days, its why they think they are fucking invincible for one

and why they think the world owes them everything and nothing ever bad happens.

Its even funnier that it isn't PC to have bad things happen in movies (bambi's mum dying etc) but its okay for 10 year olds to play COD and say cunt.

Now that I think about it, kids probably have some weird ideas about death nowadays.

Danoss

Oh I know, Choc. It really is disappointing that's the case these days. Seeing Bambi's mum shot is something I'll never forget, as well as the other fucked up moments in the other movies I mentioned. They're all classics in their own right and I wish that wasn't the last we'll see of movies where death and dire situations where the protagonist really might not walk away from, occur.

Kids are far too sheltered these days. I know that may be among the things that older generations say e.g. "kids have it far too easy these days", but it's true. In a day and age where televised entertainment is used to occupy children, it's more important than ever that they see these things. Death is an uncomfortable topic, sure, but these movies depict it in a way that children can learn without being truly hurt by the experience.

Seeing Artax die in The Neverending Story is a fucking terrible thing to see, I'm pretty sure I cried. That was followed up by Gmork attempting to kill Atreyu, which Atreyu luckily manages to escape from. It's a harsh scene, the viewer has emotional attachment to Artax and they identify with Atreyu, hence the fear of Gmork (plus he's a pretty scary villain). It's hard to recreate these situations in real life for a child without having a pet they love die and then putting them at great mortal peril.

Damn, this grand prix thing is really taking it out of me. But damned if it isn't the most fun I've had in a long, long time. Helps that the weather was absolutely fucking amazing, too. And that I didn't get burnt (I don't think).

Well that's good to hear. Seeing stuff in person is always better then watching it on tv.

A mere 5 or 6 chapters from the end, and with all signs pointing at it only getting worse towards the end, I considered something I don't think I've ever done before - lowering the difficulty to very easy.
I haven't played any of the Uncharted series, but don't feel bad about doing this at all.

I've started doing the same thing if I'm at the point where I'm about to quit a game because it's frustratingly annoying. I'd rather see it through to the end if I'm enjoying it but find some aspect too much to deal with.

Choc

Banned
Bambis mum dying tells kids that humans can fuck things up, its a lesson kids need to learn

also

i heard that the most recent bambi dvds, cut that?

I haven't played any of the Uncharted series, but don't feel bad about doing this at all.

I've started doing the same thing if I'm at the point where I'm about to quit a game because it's frustratingly annoying. I'd rather see it through to the end if I'm enjoying it but find some aspect too much to deal with.
It's not that I particularly feel bad about myself, per se, it's mainly that I don't consider myself a poor gamer (I'm definitely not great) and have finished a number of games on Hard or greater difficulty. It's that Uncharted 3 made me feel like a shit gamer.

But I agree; it's why I bumped down the difficulty. In the year of finishing games (and not buying any) I was prepared to do anything to get it off the backlog.

Speaking of which, Uncharted 3 is game number 7 for the year! With a few more in different stages of completion, I'm hoping to make a significant dent in my backlog this year.

How's yours going? You were doing quite well last year, if I remember correctly.

How's yours going? You were doing quite well last year, if I remember correctly.
I finished 26 games in 2011! Half or maybe slightly more were 'backlog' games that had been sitting around for quite a while. Feels pretty good.

I'm also at seven so far this year. At 11 weeks in I'm slightly ahead of where I was last year time-wise, but I finished a whole chunk late in the year in 2011. There's also a few I think I'm going to admit defeat after maybe one last push (Frozen Synapse single-player, SpaceChem) or just deciding I don't want to bother picking it up any more (Aquaria, Dead Rising) so I won't count them as 'backlog' games, but will still keep them around in case I want to pick them up again.

Rezbit

Nope, because I loved ME and ME2 enough to finish them 4 times each. I have no urge to replay ME3 because of that ending. Holy shit it was so bad.

Just spent most of my Saturday really nerding it up and playing ME3. Just finished and...(mildly spoilery final impressions)

What the fucking fuck was that. I was literally talking to the TV, going "Are you fucking serious? Are you kidding me?" That was the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Serious.

Deeku

Definitely.

Anyone flown British Airways recently ? Want to know if the food will kill me,.
I usually tick vegetarian when doing online check in. There's less chance of getting gross oily crap with vege meals, right? This is with cathay btw, no idea about BA.

choc's the expert on planes so he should know.

I usually tick vegetarian when doing online check in. There's less chance of getting gross oily crap with vege meals, right? This is with cathay btw, no idea about BA.
I do this too, and find it doesn't affect my stomach at all, unlike the oily meaty meals usually do (in that it often evacuates shortly after reaching our destination).

It's really hit (Etihad, awesome chickpea curry) or miss (Turkish Air, garden salad with a side garden salad) but it generally tastes a lot fresher. I'd say the quality of the meal is mostly determined by both the nationality of the airline as well as where you're flying from.

Salazar

I do this too, and find it doesn't affect my stomach at all, unlike the oily meaty meals usually do (in that if often evacuates shortly after reaching our destination).

It's really hit (Etihad, awesome chickpea curry) or miss (Turkish Air, garden salad with a side garden salad) but it generally tastes a lot fresher.

Yeah, Etihad was good. Passed around mango Weiss bars when our takeoff got delayed.

Emirates (my last flight) were pretty awful. Breakfast in particular was just inedible.

markot

Banned
Good luck getting the bacon breakfeast on those airlines >.>!

Also, Dahl is the best 'kids' author ever, love his stuff, BFG was my favourite growing up. The secret to good kids stuff is that it has to be weird and kinda dark. Just look at all the kids stuff that has survived through the ages, the fairy tales generally were kinda dark and weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom