• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Yes. Yesy you do. However, I think you get one or two "ACTION FIGURES" when you buy the game.

More dollies can be bought to increase your man-child enjoyment.
Damnit, that's a bit shit. Maybe there's a hack or something for the PC one so I don't have to. I just want to play games for 8-year-olds without having to buy toys. FFS.

EDIT: OMG there are still chips in the bottom of this week old Red Rock Deli packet! Yes!

There's also those laser/IR ones that shine light on your desk or whatever. Never used one, but couldn't be that bad?
<_> I need one of these!

Hey AusGAF. I was just nostalgia-ing up and found that Toys for Bob (of Star Control fame) made the most recent Spyro, the one with figurines or some shit. Any direct impressions from folks here?
Pretty cool. They made a TRUCKLOAD of money from selling the additional characters as little figurines. I enjoyed it. Kind of like a kiddie Diablo. You don't need to buy new figures but they do throw it in your face that if you had STEALTH ELF you could do something cool in this spot.

$20 a pop, even from LOGS...

Pretty cool. They made a TRUCKLOAD of money from selling the additional characters as little figurines.
I heard they recycled old Rockband technology and parts. Even going as far as converting old unsold stock in the toys, furthering their profitability.

Well that was a crazy night. So much for Labor in Queensland.
I hear there is now a reward for spotting a Labour Party Member in their natural habitat in Queensland.

I heard they recycled old Rockband technology and parts. Even going as far as converting old unsold stock in the toys, furthering their profitability.

I hear there is now a reward for spotting a Labour Party Member in their natural habitat in Queensland.

Haha, get ready for the BBC documentary on them.
I was up half the night doing updates for the website (although I don't know why you'd be looking there instead of on the amazing ABC site). I am still shocked Rachel Nolan (who was my MP) lost. 15% margin absolutely destroyed.
She did cop the blame for selling off QR though. That never played well in Ipswich.

Jo-Ann Miller went from a 20% margin to I think around 5% now? Just a ridiculous result.

Shaneus

Best not to dive into that rabbit hole, Shaen
I know :/ Having said that, if they did something similar with Star Control 2 and ships, I'd be all over that shit like a fat kid on cake.

EDIT: OMG there are still chips in the bottom of this week old Red Rock Deli packet! Yes!
I rejoice at that more often than I'd like to admit :/

Yeah, I've never looked into them properly but I knew the tech was more accessible than it seemed a year or two ago. I have a feeling you can get them even cheaper than that.

Pretty cool. They made a TRUCKLOAD of money from selling the additional characters as little figurines. I enjoyed it. Kind of like a kiddie Diablo. You don't need to buy new figures but they do throw it in your face that if you had STEALTH ELF you could do something cool in this spot.
You played it? Hm. Maybe there are pre-loved packs on eBay I

$20 a pop, even from LOGS...[/QUOTE]
*sigh* yeah. Shame it seems like such a rip. If there was a way to even "buy" the characters online as IAP for a quarter of the cost I wouldn't mind, but if I'm playing it, find out I need a specific character for a part I really want (note: not "need") to access but it's two weeks away or impossible to find, I'd be pissed. Hopefully there'll be some kind of IAP patch or rerelease down the track.

One of the TfB guys said on his Twitter something along the lines of "So, did you guys notice anything familiar about Skylander? #starcontrol2". Kinda cool.

Seriously? I'd just love to see some of the tech be interchangeable between games or something. Like, put my Master Chief figurine or an army man plastic thing onto the portal and have them run around in the game world. Shit, my Bender keychain would be perfect!

Jintor

Case note writing is no fun. Though it is interesting.

What it really wants to make me do is figure out a way to organise reading these reasons to be more efficient and less confusing...

Well, that election was pretty hilarious. I feel kinda bad for kate jones though. She worked so hard...

You know what really aggravazes me? It's them immigants. They wants all the benefits of living in Community, but they ain't even bother to learn themselves the language.

Yeah, and they jus' hole up in the sports threads, not intergratin' and stuff.

XBMC 11 final is out today for those interested. Got mine up and running this morning, going to have a look at moving the library to MySQL in the next couple of weeks (did last year but some things that didn't work how I wanted have been improved since then).

Shaneus

XBMC 11 final is out today for those interested. Got mine up and running this morning, going to have a look at moving the library to MySQL in the next couple of weeks (did last year but some things that didn't work how I wanted have been improved since then).
Does XBMC run on it's own OS at all? I'd love to make something on my Windpad to multiboot, say, Win8, ICS and XBMC (as a media center device).

Danoss

I made a new diffuser for my 430EX flash, to use as a macro flash. Because the surface area of the custom flash is bigger, the light is softer and gives the image more depth; so the images are meant to look a lot better than with my (considerably more expensive) MR-14EX macro ring flash.

Now that it was built, I went on the hunt for some bugs to photograph. It seems my yard now has a lot of leaf-curling spiders (I'd say about 15-20 or so that I could see). The problem with photographing them is that because they're usually hovering in between leaves and branches with a lot of space around them, you end up with an image of them with a pitch-black background: not ideal.

Whilst I continued looking, I saw a leaf-curling spider in action. A bug flew past it and only just touched its web, not enough to get snagged. This didn't stop the spider coming flying out of its leaf at a ridiculous speed. Incredible. Unfortunately, it immediately scuttled back into its web after realising there was no meal to be had.

Still in the same position, I looked up to see a fly hanging around under a leaf. Since it was on a lovely green leaf, I thought I'd grab a shot. Sure flies aren't that exciting, but this was mostly to test out my new flash diffuser.

0JXEh.jpg

Upon closer inspection, something wasn't right with this particular fly. If you look at it's abdomen, you'll see a bunch of tiny bugs all over it. Let's have a closer look at it.

pGWkn.jpg

Now, I'm not fly expert, but I believe they deposit their young in dead or dying flesh, which they then eat and grow from maggots into an adult fly. This would indicate that what is on that fly's abdomen is not offspring, but parasites, namely mites. The fly can't be enjoying having those things hanging off him, though I'm not sure how they affect the fly itself.

My backyard adventures didn't end there. I did find a leaf-curling spider in action, feasting on a captured wasp. I had to photograph that. As you'll see, the background doesn't have the most pleasing look since it's so dark, which I described earlier. Most of you won't be looking at the background, but staring in horror at that spider and it's lunch.

6iVwh.jpg

I know there are wasps around where I live, I had to smash one of their nests last year since it was right outside my back door. I can't say I have seen one with as much colour on it. Nice catch Mr. Spider, enjoy your meal!

I know most of AusGAF hates spiders, but I wanted to share this anyway.

Edit: In case anyone is interested, here's the macro rig I used.

vSvbo.jpg

Yagharek

I'm playing Starship Patrol again (DSiWare). Same developer as Pixeljunk series.

By golly it's addictive.

Pure trial by error tower defense, but it's cheap and has a steep learning curve (meaning later levels take a few hours to nut out).

Does XBMC run on it's own OS at all? I'd love to make something on my Windpad to multiboot, say, Win8, ICS and XBMC (as a media center device).

It can, but in your case you're probably better off just installing it in Windows 8.

Danoss, if the diffuser is paper towel (it looks like it), be careful that it doesn't scorch or otherwise catch on fire.

Danoss

Danoss, if the diffuser is paper towel (it looks like it), be careful that it doesn't scorch or otherwise catch on fire.

The flash head doesn't get anywhere near hot enough for that to happen. Everyone tells me not to use paper towel because of the fire risk, but I would think that it would have to get at least slightly warm before ever worrying about it. A number of macro shooters use this setup and have had zero issues.

The flash head doesn't get anywhere near hot enough for that to happen. Everyone tells me not to use paper towel because of the fire risk, but I would think that it would have to get at least slightly warm before ever worrying about it. A number of macro shooters use this setup and have had zero issues.
I've never seen anything catch fire but I have scorched paper and had smoke appear from using a piece of paper in front of a compact camera flash (held much too close), so fire isn't outside the realm of possibility when using a bigger flash. Unlikely if there's a delay between shots but hey, be careful.

Just created a Smart Playlist in XBMC that automatically plays any TV episodes I've already watched (but not watched in the past 4 weeks), which are from the comedy (but not children) genre, have an IMDB rating of 7.5 or higher and are less than 35 minutes.

It's glorious.

Shaneus

Just created a Smart Playlist in XBMC that automatically plays any TV episodes I've already watched (but not watched in the past 4 weeks), which are from the comedy (but not children) genre, have an IMDB rating of 7.5 or higher and are less than 35 minutes.

It's glorious.
Wow, and I thought Sickbeard was the height of laziness.

I needs me an XBMC box.

Yoshiya

If Abbott is elected I'll be utterly disgusted with the people of this country, but ultimately I have enough faith in our civil systems and political model to think he won't be able to fuck that much up in his (hopefully brief) term. I despise social conservatism but time is on my side: Abbott's positions grow less tenable by the day.

I don't know a female that likes abbott. Not one. The hate however is strong.

He's not great, but I don't think he's the sexist pig a lot of women are making him out to be *shrugs*

If Gillard and Abbott are the choices for the election, I will be so disappointed. Seriously, they are both terrible leaders and public speakers, both can only think of horrible smear campaigns against the other (its getting boring) and both get horribly fixated on shit they shouldn't be (stopping the boats etc). I refuse to vote for either of those morons.

The Liberals need Turnbull again. I'd vote for him, or someone like Julie Bishop, I guess.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't know a female that likes abbott. Not one. The hate however is strong.

My parents love the libs! I'm not too sure why but I think dad liked the small business stuff that little jonny bought in? I dunno, I try not to talk about politics with family.

I call it 'Repeat TV'! It's basically TV1 but only with shows I like.

You want laziness, you should look into the Pseudo TV add on for XBMC.

Have you looked into getting Maraschino or HTPC-Manager running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom