• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

I made a new diffuser for my 430EX flash, to use as a macro flash. Because the surface area of the custom flash is bigger, the light is softer and gives the image more depth; so the images are meant to look a lot better than with my (considerably more expensive) MR-14EX macro ring flash.

Now that it was built, I went on the hunt for some bugs to photograph. It seems my yard now has a lot of leaf-curling spiders (I'd say about 15-20 or so that I could see). The problem with photographing them is that because they're usually hovering in between leaves and branches with a lot of space around them, you end up with an image of them with a pitch-black background: not ideal.

Whilst I continued looking, I saw a leaf-curling spider in action. A bug flew past it and only just touched its web, not enough to get snagged. This didn't stop the spider coming flying out of its leaf at a ridiculous speed. Incredible. Unfortunately, it immediately scuttled back into its web after realising there was no meal to be had.

Still in the same position, I looked up to see a fly hanging around under a leaf. Since it was on a lovely green leaf, I thought I'd grab a shot. Sure flies aren't that exciting, but this was mostly to test out my new flash diffuser.

0JXEh.jpg

Upon closer inspection, something wasn't right with this particular fly. If you look at it's abdomen, you'll see a bunch of tiny bugs all over it. Let's have a closer look at it.

pGWkn.jpg

Now, I'm not fly expert, but I believe they deposit their young in dead or dying flesh, which they then eat and grow from maggots into an adult fly. This would indicate that what is on that fly's abdomen is not offspring, but parasites, namely mites. The fly can't be enjoying having those things hanging off him, though I'm not sure how they affect the fly itself.

My backyard adventures didn't end there. I did find a leaf-curling spider in action, feasting on a captured wasp. I had to photograph that. As you'll see, the background doesn't have the most pleasing look since it's so dark, which I described earlier. Most of you won't be looking at the background, but staring in horror at that spider and it's lunch.

6iVwh.jpg

I know there are wasps around where I live, I had to smash one of their nests last year since it was right outside my back door. I can't say I have seen one with as much colour on it. Nice catch Mr. Spider, enjoy your meal!

I know most of AusGAF hates spiders, but I wanted to share this anyway.

Edit: In case anyone is interested, here's the macro rig I used.

vSvbo.jpg
Brilliant pics man, and yeah, those would be mites. Poor fly :(

Choc

Banned
so i read about the westfield shooting

no weapon on man mentioned

wtf :| open fire in a shopping centre and he didnt have a weapon? they are going to get bloody smashed by the IA if thats the case.

Choc

Banned
also seriously, he was shot five times

if he had a gun himself, fine, lets gone on with it. If he was unarmed, he needed 5 bullets?

whatever happened to 1 in the leg to debilitate them? This isn't victoria!

So wait, how is the minimum wage preventing workers from getting jobs? He kept talking about it but he never explained why. Is it better for workers to be paid nothing and fight over who can be paid less? Pfft. That's all I have to say, pfft.

So wait, how is the minimum wage preventing workers from getting jobs? He kept talking about it but he never explained why. Is it better for workers to be paid nothing and fight over who can be paid less? Pfft. That's all I have to say, pfft.
It was complete horseshit. He just made this bizarre assertion, never backed it op and kept repeating it.

And saying industrial relations was a conflict between the employed and the unemployed? What? By it's definition it is about finding an acceptable balance between the employer and the employee. A job seeker has literally nothing to do with it

markot

Banned
Editorials and op eds don't get challenged, crept for the letters page the next day. (they still have those? Newspapers are so 1999)

Bernbaum

Eating sandwiches and reading newspapers. Outside is for afternoon/evening.

Speaking of fog, photography and the United Kingdom, I took my 10-24mm and tripod out to Dunnotar Castle yesterday after an amazing week of weather in Scotland, but the fog made for a tough time getting decent shots.

Salazar

Ross Cameron was the family values guy who had an affair, right ?

Edit: yup.

In August 2004, Cameron revealed in an interview in Good Weekend that he had an extramarital affair with an "exotic solicitor" while his wife was pregnant with twins

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Speaking of fog, photography and the United Kingdom, I took my 10-24mm and tripod out to Dunnotar Castle yesterday after an amazing week of weather in Scotland, but the fog made for a tough time getting decent shots.

How long are you in the UK for? Are you living there now perm or just on a lovely visa?

Went to Sydney on the weekend and enjoyed some great sights. The morning light hitting the Opera House, the massive cruise ship in the Harbour, and finally a bunch of men standing around praying for an end to abortion...

Bernbaum

How long are you in the UK for? Are you living there now perm or just on a lovely visa?

Here on a 12 month work visa, but working in multiple countries/hemispheres with the UK as a base.

Not that England and the English aren't without their charms, but I'm smitten with Scotland. I've spent £200 on quality and/or obscure whiskies since getting here (half of that duty-free).

I'll post more on my purchases for WhiskyBeerAusGAF once I'm back in Berkshire in front of my MacBook.

The Scots are great, and a welcome break from the typically phlegmatic English. I'm dating a 6'1" Scottish redhead who swears worse than me and walks around starkers drinking whisky straight from the bottle.

Choc

Banned
poor maldonado

the crazies @ sky thought that was Ferrari ordering Sauber to back off Alonso (Ferrari supply Sauber engines)

tin foil hats, seriously

Danoss

Brilliant pics man, and yeah, those would be mites. Poor fly :(

Thanks man! I'm glad someone wasn't struck down in fear by the spider. Poor fly indeed, I don't often feel sorry for annoying insects, but that is one of those times.

Did you still get some nice shots in the end? I would like to see them.

If your camera has live view, that combined with auto-focus can make mince meat out of hard to nail shots in those conditions.

Shaneus

Super enjoyable F1 race this evening :)

Bad mistake from Perez with Alonso within his grasp at the end.
I fucking love F1. There really is no competition like it in the world when a "mid-tier" team can challenge a former top-tier for first like that. Aussie coverage was shit though, completely skipping the post-race interviews just so we can see those One wankers twaddle on about nothing.

Frawdder

I fucking love F1. There really is no competition like it in the world when a "mid-tier" team can challenge a former top-tier for first like that. Aussie coverage was shit though, completely skipping the post-race interviews just so we can see those One wankers twaddle on about nothing.
Oh, they skipped it on One, that's pathetic.

I had to record the race as I was at work but didn't set the timer for long enough. It cut out at lap 40. I caught the replay on Ten and while I was waiting for lap 40 to arrive I notice that Ten are including laps that would otherwise be not seen due to ads on the live telecast (eg. ad break on lap 32 back to the race on 33). Fair enough I thought, it's late at night and there is no reason to cut stuff out.

Well...

The last round of pit stops took place, Ten went to an ad shortly after that (lap 43?) and came back on lap 48. Was off-putting when I heard Brundle say something to the effect of "Perez really closing in now" when he came out around 4-5 seconds after his pit stop. Four laps later it's lap 52 and then it's lap 56...wait, what? Vettel's got a puncture and the race is literally finishing. Saw the whole victory lap, cut to the podiums and then Greg "I love my own fucking voice" Rust having a circlejerk with his deadhead buddies and then finished.

The last 16 laps + Podium took about 25 minutes, and they skipped the interviews because obviously there was something important on at 12:45am that needed to be shown.

Once again, Channel Ten/Ten Sport/ONE show that they are completely incompetent. Get better tech so you don't have drop outs and get rid of the three clowns that disrupt the broadcast. They're not needed. I've seen better performances by people that broadcast sim racing online.

Indeed.

I download the latest one today to check it out. Looks good. Still not convinced on getting a htpc, though the hp n40l mentioned a few pages back is mighty tempting.
For us a HTPC is invaluable. It's the primary (pretty much only) way that we watch television. Because it's a dedicated computer it means that it'll always be there when you want it, and you don't need to do any special configuration (like connecting cables etc), which lowers the barrier to actually using it.

Plus it's wife friendly, and that's a big plus.

For us a HTPC is invaluable. It's the primary (pretty much only) way that we watch television. Because it's a dedicated computer it means that it'll always be there when you want it, and you don't need to do any special configuration (like connecting cables etc), which lowers the barrier to actually using it.

Plus it's wife friendly, and that's a big plus.

Certainly would get used a bit. I was really trying to avoid getting one.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just flew in from england, landed at 8:15 was in a taxi by 8:50!

Got home sat down. Showered dressed now I'm on a bus to work!

(And boy are my arms tired)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom