• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

This is interesting, sitting on a couch compared to a PC genuinely effects your gaming experience?

I think it's because I sit at a pc all day at work. Doing that again when I am at home is a big deterrent. It's only a small thing, but it makes a big difference.

I think it's because I sit at a pc all day at work. Doing that again when I am at home is a big deterrent. It's only a small thing, but it makes a big difference.

Same here. Nothing worse then using a computer all day at work, then coming home and doing the same thing again.

This is interesting, sitting on a couch compared to a PC genuinely effects your gaming experience?
Of course it does. The laid-back position with (usually) larger screen vs. the desk layout makes a difference. Just like going and seeing a movie in a little run down cinema and one other guy in the audience or a large cinema with a packed house*.

* Usually they're all jerks who talk throughout.

Stackboy

Games are work?

It's just the seated position. You sit in roughly the same position at home playing games, as you do (or I do) when you're at work.

It just feels too familiar.

On the couch, I'm a ways back from the tv, can stretch out on my massive couch.

I'm getting a new pc gaming rig in about 2 weeks and I'm entertaining the idea of hooking it up to the tv, but the idea of having to use a cordless keyboard and mouse and somehow balance them on my lap, perhaps on a tray to play pc games is really offputting.

Don't get me wrong, there are some games that I have to play on PC. But for everything else I would rather have a comfy couch.

jambo

better controls

4QPgl.gif

You can use kb+m, controllers, steering wheels and joysticks on PC.

Omikron

It's just the seated position. You sit in roughly the same position at home playing games, as you do (or I do) when you're at work.

It just feels too familiar.

On the couch, I'm a ways back from the tv, can stretch out on my massive couch.

I'm getting a new pc gaming rig in about 2 weeks and I'm entertaining the idea of hooking it up to the tv, but the idea of having to use a cordless keyboard and mouse and somehow balance them on my lap, perhaps on a tray to play pc games is really offputting.

Don't get me wrong, there are some games that I have to play on PC. But for everything else I would rather have a comfy couch.

I suppose I never tried the "comfy couch" pc setup. Have always been happy with consoles anyway.

Not saying it is an incorrect position to have, what I am getting at is that, I have yet to find because I was sitting on a couch over a PC desk or even vice versa that I enjoyed a game more.

Also, I am a massive multi-tasker, so comfy couch gaming is fucking terrible for me. :D

Bigger screen, better controls, more comfortable and less hassles with configuration.

Lower resolution, lower fidelity controls, speculation and also a fallacy.

Wife was the same when she worked admin, had zero interest in sitting in front of a PC.

As a stay at home mum she has gotten over that now though obviously :/

Also how big is your TV Omi? Would he a big factor, I played a shitload more console games when I got my 50 inch plasma.

PC doesn't have waggle!

I have yet to find because I was sitting on a couch over a PC desk or even vice versa that I enjoyed a game more.
IMO it's more about having a better experience, than enjoying a game more. If I could be bothered to set it up, comfy couch PC gaming would be perfect for me.

Also couch gaming leads more to social gaming, I'd say. Playing Guitar Hero on a desk-bound PC wouldn't be terribly exciting.

Raxum

Bigger screen, better controls, more comfortable and less hassles with configuration.

Honestly I find the opposite of this, because I'm generally closer to the screen, the screen size doesn't matter so much. A 24" monitor covers as much of my vision as a bigger screen would from further away, plus the resolution is the same. I prefer the controls on the PC, and if not there's always the X360 controller. Reclining office chair = more comfortable with more support for me than couch. And personal preference for me is enjoying fiddling around with configuration, or at least with the ability to Mod games and make them run way smoother and look a lot nicer than console versions.

Also, I sit at a computer all day at work, and find the argument of not wanting to sit at a computer when you get home puzzling. It's still two completely different things for me. I guess that's a personal preference thing as well.

Disclaimer: The above is personal opinion as is your opinion. Just sharing for the sake of sharing.

I'm into my 85th hour of New Vegas on the 360. I have a small room for an office with a 50 inch plasma so it is nice to sink into the couch and get lost in the world for the night.

Anything that requires precision I vastly prefer the PC experience by when it is relaxing stuff that I play for the story I will grab a console version. Bulletstorm on 360 was great fun but it was WAY more fun to play on the PC with the more accurate controls and sharper graphics.

So if I abuse you via Steam chat, I will likely annoy your wife?

Between the hours of 11am-1pm (when the little guy is usually down for his nap) most likely! Although I do get home 2-3 times a week and find someone tried to start up a conversation with me that went unanswered :/ Sorry guys! It is a friggin hassle changing the status to Away compared to my memories of Facebook/MSN.

Also f u x3n05. That is stilly fast. I didn't know Steam was even capable of that!

Omikron

I'm into my 85th hour of New Vegas on the 360. I have a small room for an office with a 50 inch plasma so it is nice to sink into the couch and get lost in the world for the night.

Anything that requires precision I vastly prefer the PC experience by when it is relaxing stuff that I play for the story I will grab a console version. Bulletstorm on 360 was great fun but it was WAY more fun to play on the PC with the more accurate controls and sharper graphics.

don't like, you play for achievements.

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Those in glass houses (countries) shouldn't throw stones.
I think the point was that people who feel anonymous are racist on the internet still, highlighting that you can see peoples real names and pictures of themselves yet they express such a disgusting disregard for a group other than their owns emotions.

Also that there was a larger than usual amount of schadenfreude than usual eminating from some Americans.

So reptile re-re-convinced me to buy sleeping dogs.....but I'm going to get it on 360. COMFY COUCH. It doesn't look like the kind of game I want to sit at my pc for tens of hours and finish. Can see myself doing that on my big tv.
I loved Saints Row 3 on PC but I think I would have enjoyed it more on console, just one of those games. I can see Sleeping Dogs the same way but all the PC features and low low LOW price to get into it Day One means that the PC will still be an incredible experience for it.

I think Saints Row 2 is a worse game than SR3 but I have fonder memories of playing SR2 on the PS3 in the lounge room on a bean bag. Maybe it is the isolation, not being able to tab out and check NeoGAF or check your emails. There is nothing but the game and the game only.

don't like, you play for achievements.
Another factor in why I play so many 360 games! It all adds up. My inate desire to boost my gamerscore regardless of the fact that it means nothing at all to me is bundled along with all the other nice things about console gaming (plug and play, comfy couch, big screen, controller) All these things are NOT exclusive to the 360 but they ARE guaranteedout of the box all together. Console gaming is a lot of little things that add up to making it worthwhile, same with PC gaming.

I will admit my current job has diminished my desire to game on a PC as much as when I was a uni bum :(

Yagharek

You can use kb+m on PC.

Thats the point.

Anyway, to me the old adage about not doing for work what you enjoy for a hobby applies. I work with PCs enough at work and dont like sitting in front of them when playing a game. It's also the end result of years and years of experience with frustration with them, and no such hassle with amigas/consoles.

I cant help it if they dont work as well, so their reputation is of their own making.

Lower resolution, lower fidelity controls, speculation and also a fallacy.

This is a fallacy where pointer controls are concerned. Play PES Wii. It's like playing football orchestra.

Stackboy

I don't tend to get distracted when I'm gaming at all. If I'm waiting for the game to load, or matchmaking then I check twitter on my phone. Not a fan of multitasking while gaming.

PS Move has higher fidelity than the Wiimote. Mouse beats all though.

Implementation still can make a game wildly fun though, fidelity is more important when comparing titles in a specific genre (like FPS or 3D Puzzles).

There was some block game on PSN that I couldn't imagine playing with anything other than the Move controller.

Yagharek

Picking one niche example in an attempt to prove your point doesn't really help you.

It does when its a demonstration of capability. Its cannot be helped that other developers rarely attempt to use pointer controls. But of the others that do (World of Goo, Swords and Soldiers, Lost Winds, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Icarian for example) do an excellent job.

Skyward Sword's motion controls are pretty swish too.

Raxum

Whats sad about QLD is that it makes me think that the 'abolish the state governments' people are right >.<

I can agree with that, but what is it exactly that makes you think that? I'm of the mind that they can never seem to get anything done, and whenever they try to, something stops it and it ends up being a huge waste of money, then they inflate their staff more.

I never should have doubted the people who loved the first single off the Bloc Party album. Still not a fan of that track but the rest of the album is FANTASTIC.

I can agree with that, but what is it exactly that makes you think that?
Basically any news that has come out of QLD since the election.

EDIT: I didn't read that the right way >_<

markot

Banned
Newman, Joh.

Personally, taking out the idiocy of some states at times, I prefer states to have more power then the federal parliament, because generally they are closer to us.

It all goes back to world war 2 and the Feds shanghaiing the income tax from the states and not giving it back.

I think states have a good purpose.

jambo

Nope, get rid of the state governments.

And you don't give all of the power to the feds, that's just stupid.

What you do is amalgamate groups of councils, say 3-4, in to larger councils. Then give them more power and there you have it.

Raxum

Basically any news that has come out of QLD since the election.

EDIT: I didn't read that the right way >_<

Agreed, especially since some of that news has pertained to my employment, and a pretty huge restructure of the IT department I work in. Honestly I think that a lot of the things the government controls should be commercial companies(like IT support) because it would be more efficient than a public service IT department.

Politics is a bit of a bitch though, communism doesn't work in reality because people are innately greedy. Democracy and Capitalism only barely work in reality, and tend to create corrupt oligarchies.

Yagharek

Politics is a bit of a bitch though, communism doesn't work in reality because people are innately greedy. Democracy and Capitalism only barely work in reality, and tend to create corrupt oligarchies.

Pretty demoralising isnt it.

Maybe a spaceocracy would work. Like Carl Sagan said, exploring the cosmos is the "moral equivalent (or alternative?) to war"

jambo

(Nintendo one console future with pc gamers first to the guillotine)

The PC is patient. After all, generations mean nothing to the PC.

When we were all small and playing NES, there was the PC.

When games became cool on the PlayStation, there was the PC.

When games stopped being cool on the Wii, there was the PC.

When the current consoles are silicon tombstones, there will be the PC.

There will always be the PC.

Yagharek

The PC is patient. After all, generations mean nothing to the PC.

I seem to remember a lot of arrogance and whatnot from 3Dfx back in the day proclaiming there was.

When we were all small and playing NES, there was the PC.

No, there was C64 and Spectrum. And Amiga.

When games became cool on the PlayStation, there was the PC.

About the same time that the reputation for bodgy hardware configuration hassles became the norm.

When games stopped being cool on the Wii, there was the PC.

Wii games were never cool.

When the current consoles are silicon tombstones, there will be the PC.

They already are, just try turning one on.

Pffft, PC gamers are just the fake bandwagoners who think theyve outlasted Commodore and Amiga. Just you wait.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
PC gaming or no gaming at all.

There can be only one.

Dead Man

You guys are way too discriminatory. No wonder everyone says Australia is racist. You need to open you hearts and find room for all the gaming experiences. Except handhelds. Fuck those guys.

hamchan

As an owner of most current gen consoles and handhelds, PC gaming is like, it's like when you tell all your kids "I love you all equally" but really in your heart you actually have a favorite child who is superior to all the rest. That child is PC gaming.

Well I guess the issue is whether or not a device can play Curse of Monkey Island right now for me.

So basically anything but the 360 and the 3DS. Those two suck. PC still wins, Android devices second as they have official support for ScummVM, partial credit to the Wii and PS3 for homebrew support.

Omikron

I kinda imagine Vince as this slightly balding guy, on a couch, waggling his wiimote proclaiming the amazingness of this future technology and how he doesn't feel at all ripped off as a consumer.

the internet is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom