• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Closing ceremony was pretty rad. I'm pretty sure we were talking about the spice girls before, and I gotta say they were looking great when they performed. Eric idle was another bonus :D still makes me kinda sad to see lots of half bands, like queen and pink floyd.
Are they going to announce 2020 soon?

Edit: rash growing around my eyes :s what's going on?!

Rahk

Guess I should get around to playing 999 so I can get the sequel for Vita. I haven't touched my DS in like three years though.

Raxum

Early start at work to try and get home early to get stuff done so I can play Darksiders 2. I feel like I'm going a bit overboard here haha.

Stackboy

I love playing console games, but I just put my order in for all the parts for my new PC gaming rig.

LOVE ME AUSGAF I NEED YOUR ACCEPTANCE.

Raxum

I love playing console games, but I just put my order in for all the parts for my new PC gaming rig.

LOVE ME AUSGAF I NEED YOUR ACCEPTANCE.

Join the AusGAF steam group, seems to be the easiest way.

What PC did you get? I only recently got mine as well. Got an i5-3570K and Z77 motherboard with a nVidia GTX670. Runs everything pretty damn smoothly. Just need to get my HDD replaced, never buying seagate again.

Speaking of hard drives, my mSATA SSD is running like a dream, it's pretty fast and installation was ridiculously easy compared to cabled drives.

Just need to get my HDD replaced, never buying seagate again.
Everyone always seems to have their own hated HDD brands. I've never had a Seagate fail on me, my 400MB one was still running when I threw it out a couple of years back. Last 5 disks purchased were WD, however, as I wanted their green drives.

Raxum

Everyone always seems to have their own hated HDD brands. I've never had a Seagate fail on me, my 400MB one was still running when I threw it out a couple of years back. Last 5 disks purchased were WD, however, as I wanted their green drives.

I've had a few guys at my work have seagate drives fail on them, this is actually my 3rd or 4th seagate drive I've ever purchased. As much as I hate to over-react to things, I also dislike the idea that a drive could fail on me a week or two after I've purchased it. Never had a WD drive fail on me, so maybe I'll go back to those. Although it'd be my 4th or 5th one ever, including externals, so I've probably got about the same chance of it dying. Really just need a place to store media files and games that don't need to load fast. 128GB is not very much space for gaming and an OS.

I've actually found the 128GB to be quite a good size surprisingly, still have about 10 games installed as well as 5 or so GB of music on the desktop still to be catalogued off somewhere, with plenty of free space (around 20GB I think?) which has stopped me short of grabbing a 256GB for $200.

All my green drives have been fine, haven't had one fail since 2005. My current one is a WD 2 TB after I gave my 500GB Seagate to my parents when I upgraded.

mSATA? What is wrong with pluging in a drive with a cord? I actually prefer that to slotting something in, feels less likely that I will break something.

EDIT: Missed that I got emailed my Sleeping Dogs key at 5am, should have called in sick >_<
EDIT2: Sleeping Dogs thread is a good indication of the kind of PC gamer stupidity Vince was talking about, people cracking the shits because they haven't been sent a key yet to do a pre-load for a game that isn't even out for another 2 days >_<

Raxum

I've actually found the 128GB to be quite a good size surprisingly, still have about 10 games installed as well as 5 or so GB of music on the desktop still to be catalogued off somewhere, with plenty of free space (around 20GB I think?) which has stopped me short of grabbing a 256GB for $200.

All my green drives have been fine, haven't had one fail since 2005. My current one is a WD 2 TB after I gave my 500GB Seagate to my parents when I upgraded.

mSATA? What is wrong with pluging in a drive with a cord? I actually prefer that to slotting something in, feels less likely that I will break something.

Well really it's the first time I'd seen mSATA and I kind of wanted to try it out. The case I have mixed with the SATA port locations on my MOBO make for a really tricky time plugging in SATA cables. And one of my pet hates is cable management in PCs, it's just never good enough, especially when the power plugs for GFX cards are on the outside of the card, which I know is for easy reach, but it makes good cable management along the backplane hard. I agree with the worry of breaking something, but it's nice to have that in there as a boot drive.

My seagate drive hasn't fully failed, but the PC was stuttering weirdly and crashing on sleep. So I was running diagnostics and the drive was failing the seagate diagnostic tool tests. Really should've gotten a SSD when I bought the whole rig and gotten the HDD later.

senahorse

Damn you x3n05, damn you and your fast internet. And also damn me for forgetting to kick the pre-load off before I left for work. Mental note made to do that overnight. Releases tomorrow right?

This afternoon I think, I still have to finish the first game, hopefully today.

Is this with the Optus speed pack thing? That's pretty impressive! I usually get max 1.7MB/s (without the speed pack thing).

Telstra cable

Is this Telstra? What suburb you in?

Yep, Carseldine

Also f u x3n05. That is stilly fast. I didn't know Steam was even capable of that!

sds.png

:p

Stackboy

Join the AusGAF steam group, seems to be the easiest way.

What PC did you get? I only recently got mine as well. Got an i5-3570K and Z77 motherboard with a nVidia GTX670. Runs everything pretty damn smoothly. Just need to get my HDD replaced, never buying seagate again.

1 Antec Three Hundred Tower Gaming Case- Black NO PSU
1 Antec ATX EarthWatts 650
1 Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA
2 Western Digital 2TB Green 64MB SATAII WD20EURS AV-GP
1 Intel 520 series 120GB SSD Kit
1 Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 Perf
1 Gainward GTX 670 2G 2DVI/Display Port/HDMI
1 Asus P8Z77-V-LK MB, Socket 1155, Intel Z77 Chipset, 4x DDR3, SATA
1 Intel Core i5 3470 LGA1155 CPU 3.2Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge

jambo

Very nice. I probably would've gone with a slightly more powerful and modular PSU, so you could upgrade to SLI smoothly if need be.

What monitor do you have?

Does it unlock on Thursday though?, according to steam it will be Friday morning around 9:30 :/
Yeah that makes more sense since I was basing it on the GreenManGaming date, which obviously doesn't matter since it is Steamworks. Double :/

Maybe 3 day weekend for me!

Raxum

Damn, that'll run nicely, I got the Gainward 670 Phantom. And currently you have twice as much RAM as me but that's pretty close to what my PC is.

Just a Dell 22" widescreen. That will be the next thing I update, after I grab a new keyboard and mouse.

I have a $200 budget for KB+M. Any suggestions? Going to go with corded gear. No wireless for me.
Mannnn love my Dell IPS monitor. 23 inches of pure sex.

For mouse grab a Logitech MX518 or the new model G400 for like $15-40. DSE were running out the old model for $15 and the new G400 was $30 at one point.

I have a shitty dome wireless Logitech keyboard at the moment. Really want to grab a Razer Blackwidow

B: Is that razer still on sale at EB games?
Yes indeed instore. Pretty sure it was $80?

Raxum

A: Are mechanical keyboards that much better?

B: Is that razer still on sale at EB games?

I really enjoy my Razer Blackwidow, love the feel of the mechanical keys, though they can be loud when I'm in voice chat with people.

Not sure about the Razer sale, but I got myself a Naga Hex from there for like $77 that I am really happy to have. Really comfy mouse, taking me a while to get used to using the side buttons though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The main thing consoles have a advantage over in the PC arena is hardcore action games like bayonetta, vanquish, ninja gaiden sigma / 2 etc. You simply don't find that kind of thing on PCs.

Rahk

I have a crappy dome wireless Logitech keyboard at the moment. Really want to grab a Razer Blackwidow
You might be better off looking at the other keyboards on PCCG, unless you can get a good deal on the Blackwidow or really want macro keys. I have one, but I much prefer the Leopold.

The Blackwidow just seems a bit tacky to me and has a bunch of functions I never use. The keycaps also feel cheap to me.

You might be better off looking at the other keyboards on PCCG, unless you can get a good deal on the Blackwidow or really want macro keys. I have one, but I much prefer the Leopold.

The Blackwidow just seems a bit tacky to me and has a bunch of functions I never use. The keycaps also feel cheap to me.

Also if you want to check the feel and setup of the Blackwidow it seems like a lot of EBGames have a display unit to play around with.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I am thinking I will grab a wired one, purely because I can't be arsed with batteries.

I didn't even think of that. Wired it is.

Danoss

Just a Dell 22" widescreen. That will be the next thing I update, after I grab a new keyboard and mouse.

I'm with rep on the Dell IPS display when you upgrade, they're great. I have them in dual-display at the moment and love them to bits.

I have a $200 budget for KB+M. Any suggestions? Going to go with corded gear. No wireless for me.

I have the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate, but only because it's backlit and my room is dark at all times of the day. I don't really use the macro keys or anything else, only the backlight, it's the only feature worth having over another keyboard.

I would go for a Filco Majestouch with Brown Cherries for gaming primary, or the Blue Cherries for typing primary. These are the readily available options. I'm thinking of going for a buckling spring keyboard from Unicomp when I'm not in a dark room anymore.

For the mouse, I recommend the Roccat Kone [+]. Best mouse, hands down. Ever.

I am thinking I will grab a wired one, purely because I can't be arsed with batteries.

That and the wireless receiver for PC has been discontinued for some time now. You can get third party efforts, but wired is best since you're in front of the PC anyway.

Controllers!

Always buy a wired one for backup for the future. ALWAYS have one. Will work on 360 and PC until the end of time.

The official rechargable battery packs eventually die out, recharging them will only hold a charge for a short time and is annoying as fuck. I moved to Eneloops this year and haven't looked back, so fucking good.

You can buy the wireless controller in a pack with the PC dongle, they don't make the seperate dongle any more. I picked up the bundle from OzGameShop about a year ago for $35, they pop up every now and then cheap. Also function as a 360 controller obviously! Currently $43 on LOGS.

midonnay

I think the receiver for my wireless microsoft ear piece/microphone worked with the controller >_>

strange that they don't seem to allow it for their other products...

Danoss

Pfft, why bother with wires? Use AA Eneloops and you'll always have a fresh set unless you're terrible at planning!

Pfft, why bother with Eneloops? Imedion are far better, at 2400mAh they last longer whilst having the same low discharge rate.

This is the keyboard I have (actually, it's this one). It's great, being able to type with barely any force is fantastic plus the Cherry browns are pretty quiet.

I love my number pad, couldn't do without it. I can go for the loud switches because it doesn't bother me, plus I don't have anyone else to bother.

Pfft, why bother with Eneloops? Imedion are far better, at 2400mAh they last longer whilst having the same low discharge rate.
Because they're five dollars a battery? Trust a photo nerd to recommend much better gear than someone needs. :p

I love my number pad, couldn't do without it. I can go for the loud switches because it doesn't bother me, plus I don't have anyone else to bother.
I was concerned the lack of number pad would be a problem, but it's been an improvement for me because of the extra desk space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom