• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Right here. How about Novice Mode? Or, and this could just be a bit too radical, 'easy'?

It does have a name: Best Friends Forever. That's what the skill tree is called officially, and in-game. Hemingway had nicknamed it 'girlfriend mode' and used the slang in the interview. It was a dumb thing to say, especially in a publicly accessible interview. But that's my point. It's just one guy and his dumb term that isn't even in the game.

But nope. Weyo, Borderlands 2 controversy, end of the world, David fucking loudmouth Jaffe, whine whine. Ugh.

Gaming journalism has a long way to go not because idiot developers say things they shouldn't, but because this what we consider controversy.

Wildgoose name dropped Jaffe and used him as a counterpoint which Jaffe took offence too. Will link his response when I'm on the computer later.

I'm in two minds over it after watching the video, feels like an anecdote half referred to while nervous on camera.

Jintor

Is it too small to be discussed at all? It's got to have slightly more merit than "Kamiya thinks Battle Royale is a ripoff"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is it too small to be discussed at all? It's got to have slightly more merit than "Kamiya thinks Battle Royale is a ripoff"

Not really I suppose. I guess I just dump it into the "slow news day" pile, where I don't consider it news at all. Just like the Kamiya stuff.

EatChildren

That I'll agree with.

Gazunta

Team Goose.

The highlight of my day was drawing a comic about Sim Ant. I have never played Sim Ant. This might be a problem!

Have any Bris-GAFfians been to the Ekka yet this year?

Team Goose.

The highlight of my day was drawing a comic about Sim Ant. I have never played Sim Ant. This might be a problem!

Have any Bris-GAFfians been to the Ekka yet this year?

I went over the weekend. It was pretty cool, except for the stomach bug bit. The food was bloody expensive, but I ended up saving a bit by looking at all the exhibits instead of going on rides.

Highlight of my day was eating a custard tart and keeping it down.

It's one of those things when the reactions are far more entertaining/troubling than the actual kickoff incident

Well here is the original tweet from 17 hours ago by Jaffe that Wildgoose ran with in his opinion piece (I agree that Wildgoose is totally free to have an opinion but it seems like Jaffe took offence to what Wildgood twisted out of his words with selective quoting).

Jaffe said:
It would be nice if we could correctly acknowledge that the term 'girlfriend mode' is sexist, offensive to a lot of folks, and long past ready to be put out to the 'shit we will be embarrassed to admit we ever said' pasture while also having the stones to admit there is a still valid reason the term was coined in the first place.

We should be able to embrace and push forward a change in the way we talk about games in the interest of inclusion,fairness, kindness, and respectability for ALL gamers (and all people) while still being able to openly acknowledge that the vast, vast, vast majority of adult women want NOTHING to do with a game like Borderlands 2 (or a game like God of War or Twisted Metal or Gears of War). Anymore than the vast, vast, vast majority of men have any interest in watching a show like Project Runway or reading a book like The Notebook or Twilight.

Political Correctness has been 90% fantastic for our society because before you know it, it stops being 'politically correct' and -rightly so- simply becomes folks being treated with respect. But the remaining 10% has really done a hack job to our culture, neutering the fuck out our ability to acknowledge things as the way they truly are.
Bolded the context that Wildgoose ignored which led to Jaffe getting a LOT of misinformed people attacking him on Twitter thinking that he meant that women don't like games like Borderlands. Anyone that has bothered to read his blog or tweets would recognise that Wildgoose picked poorly when finding things to back up his opinion.

This was one part of Wildgoose's opinion piece that I was a bit confused with
Wildgoose said:
I don’t think anyone would argue that the “Best Friends Forever” skill tree is a bad idea. It is, after all, a concept design for inclusion, an effort to make a complex or intimidating game more accessible to more players. But the language Hemingway employed, regardless of whether the game officially features a “girlfriend mode,” is all about exclusion. It is stating that you are a novice player because you are a girl.
I would agree with that if he called it the "Female Mode", not the "Girlfriend Mode", which sounded much more like after describing the BFF skill tree to his girlfriend noted something as such. Considering this the company that WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP PROGRAM A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL FROM A DUDE TO HIS "diehard Borderlands fan" girlfriend, I think they know that women also play their games and are capable of holding their own (which, again, is why it is called BFF, not Woman Mode).

The whole event just reeks of the kind of outer media articles that generally ignore all context in the industry and any previous history relating to everything referred to. It felt like a fluff piece on CNN on a slow news day. Which really shocked me because Wildgoose is usually awesome to read and listen to.
But in the end I don't feel outraged or annoyed or angry, it is just his opinion. Nothing more, nothing less and most importantly he feels comfortable expressing it. Which will only lead to better things as the more comfortable people are with expressing their opinion fully and truthfully, the more likely we are to get a clearer picture of where this medium is headed.

Everything is cleared up now, Jaffe has responded to the piece and educated those who were misinformed. Wildgoose has got something off his chest. And in the future we will find developers having more PR standing next to them making sure they read from a script rather than try and be too casual and bring their private lives into the business of selling games.

P.S. I DO think that someone can be intentionally sexist. I didn't really understand that comment.
P. P. S. Twisted Metal Black was awesome! God of War was pretty cool. Would be nice to see Jaffe end up in a producer role at a bigger developer, being an indie guy doesn't seem to bring the best out of him :(

Jintor

What I mean by that is that I highly doubt Hemingway's comment was really meant, by Hemingway, to say "Girls don't play videogames"; it was just convenient shorthand for the idea he wanted to get across. The deal is that the convenient shorthand itself is sexist in nature. So Hemingway himself isn't intentionally being sexist, but he's made a poor choice of words. I'm pretty sure that's also what Goose means in that quote you have there.

Jaffe's initial point is sound, and I think you may be right in that Goose misrepresented Jaffe there, but Jaffe completely flew off the deep end in his response.

What I mean by that is that I highly doubt Hemingway's comment was really meant, by Hemingway, to say "Girls don't play videogames"; it was just convenient shorthand for the idea he wanted to get across. The deal is that the convenient shorthand itself is sexist in nature. So Hemingway himself isn't intentionally being sexist, but he's made a poor choice of words. I'm pretty sure that's also what Goose means in that quote you have there.

Jaffe's initial point is sound, and I think you may be right in that Goose misrepresented Jaffe there, but Jaffe completely flew off the deep end in his response.

Heh, Jaffe is Jaffe. He always goes off the deep end in situations like this, which is no excuse for how batshit insane he comes across and his childish abuse and retorts. Once he gets irritated he loses all of his brains, which sucks because he can come across quite brilliant when he is level headed about things. I really am surprised he hasn't tried to do something to work on it, like anger management classes or something.

I don't agree with what you said but I'll leave it at what I have already written.

Alec Meer says it best as usual I guess
Alec Meer said:
What a horrible mess, with missteps on both sides of the debate. And one that I suspect is far from over, as this snowball probably has more than enough inertia to keep rolling for a while yet. I do hesitate to contribute to the furore, but I am conscious troubling mentalities of this kind do prevail around the industry, whether or not this particular instance has been interpreted accurately.

Danoss

Let's say that anyone who hasn't misspoken or accidentally said anything inappropriate that may have offended someone at any time, not matter how big or small, can be the only ones to comment on this 'story'. All of a sudden the conversation will come to a grinding halt.

Fucking PC bullshit. People are human, humans aren't perfect. The only thing that matters is the intent; did he intend to offend? No. Then everyone can shut the fuck up, there's bigger fish to fry.

Jintor

Heh, Jaffe is Jaffe. He always goes off the deep end in situations like this, which is no excuse for how batshit insane he comes across and his childish abuse and retorts. Once he gets irritated he loses all of his brains, which sucks because he can come across quite brilliant when he is level headed about things. I really am surprised he hasn't tried to do something to work on it, like anger management classes or something.

It's always such a surprise to read his non-rage-infused posts right after reading one of his can't-stop-swearing posts.

Hmmmmm one week until my progress report, I should start this assignment. ESPECIALLY since I still have another 52 hours until Sleeping Dogs unlocks and I lose the next week.

Nah seriously, they aren't that fun. Definitely didn't stand the test of time.

Twisted Metal 2 and Black are still fun to this day in MP. Even Black holds up well on your own. IN MY OPINION.

Cohsae

Trying desperately to think of things I want for my birthday. This is the first year I've been working full-time so I'm pretty much satisfied RE: music, games, clothes and whatnot. Boss at work is hounding me to think of a gift. Only thing I can think of is Blade Runner whiskey glass. I am bad at thinking of things.

Tried to watch one about Van Gogh the other night. Couldn't do it. Too much cheese.
You don't deserve The Doctor!

Got into an argument with a girl that didn't go so well hah.
You mean Leena? Leena's cool.

Only thing I can think of is Blade Runner whiskey glass. I am bad at thinking of things.
I have one of those and love it. My tip is to suggest things to people that you would like but never buy for yourself. Concert tickets, skydiving, biplane flights, what have you.

markot

Banned
Fucking bought sleeping dogs >_<

Heres hoping I finish a game for once...

Also, we need to invade NZ. If we had their medals included in our own, we would have come 5th!

midonnay

Perth is 9th most liveable city in the world :lol:

and Brisbane is the only major aussie city not to make the top 10....

Jintor

I just finished watching the first season of Homicide: Life on the Streets, a 1993 Police Procedural, and I kinda want to watch more.

Buuuuuuuuuut I should probably watch... I don't know, Adventure Time first or something.

Danoss

Buuuuuuuuuut I should probably watch... I don't know, Adventure Time first or something.

Just started watching Adventure Time, and goddamn it is fantastic. I have had to pause it numerous times because I am laughing so hard. Love, love, love that show.

Omikron

Anyone know of a place to get (interesting!) fridge magnets appropriate for a small child?

Son discovered that the wifes iphone with a rubberised casing can 'stick' to the fridge for a short period before crashing to the tiled floor. He thinks its hilarious clearly.

Rahk

I watched the first 2 episodes or something of Adventure Time but didn't particularly enjoy it. Does it get better? Maybe it's just not for me.

Anyone know of a place to get (interesting!) fridge magnets appropriate for a small child?

Son discovered that the wifes iphone with a rubberised casing can 'stick' to the fridge for a short period before crashing to the tiled floor. He thinks its hilarious clearly.

A couple of weeks ago we got the little guy a barnyard set of magnets that go in a casing on the fridge. Each magnet is the front or back half of an animal and when you put them in the 'barn' it tells him what was put in and what kind of animal he has made, along with a song or something.

I'll ask the female companion what it was/where it was from, he loves the hell out of it and it has stopped him rummaging through the cupboards when we are otherwise detained.

Omikron

You could try something like this. Not sure how suitable they might be. The place has a store in Fitzroy.

Probs not chunky enough for his little fingers! Nice idea though.

A couple of weeks ago we got the little guy a barnyard set of magnets that go in a casing on the fridge. Each magnet is the front or back half of an animal and when you put them in the 'barn' it tells him what was put in and what kind of animal he has made, along with a song or something.

I'll ask the female companion what it was/where it was from, he loves the hell out of it and it has stopped him rummaging through the cupboards when we are otherwise detained.

Cheers rep.

LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set

I think it was $25 at Toyworld.

Or just turn the switch to off :)

Hrmm, perhaps not, he has enough 'noisy' toys :x

It isn't very noisy at all, just light jingle when he gets it right, otherwise they just state the part/animal.

If my wife can be happy with it (my son's vaccuum cleaner and lawn mower toys have suspiciously disappeared...) then you will be fine!

Plus he will love the hell out of it if he likes animals.

Nahh, totally going all hippy and shit with his new toys. Wood is the preference!

If he doesn't get used to processed plastics he will be a bright red rash of a child once he starts hanging out at other kids houses!

You better damn well still be breastfeeding him to, so help you god.

senahorse

WHATWHATWHAT!?

Early Sleeping Dogs unlock, oh well this sucks (in a good way). I was all ready for a day of Darksiders 2 but now I am greeted with a "Play Now" for Sleeping Dogs :/

Danoss

You're saying the Sleeping Dogs have awoken?
kVcOb.gif

Oh shit, I think I am coming down with herpes or something. I better go home and get some bed rest in front of the computer as my computer chair has healing properties or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom