• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

vista was shit because it was unstable and a memory hog....

I never had stability or memory issues when using Vista, nor do I know anyone who did or does. I did find that it suffered a little of the bit rot issues that XP had, but that had been rectified in Windows 7.

Did anyone who bitches about Vista actually use it? I doubt it.

jambo

vista was shit because it was unstable and a memory hog....

people basically got conned into beta testing windows 7

Bollocks, I never heard anything about widespread instability and I used Vista for about 2 years with no issues.

And it runs perfectly fine with 4GB of RAM, it just utilises some of it to perform tasks in the background, such as constant HDD defragmentation.

midonnay

^^^^ exactly ....4 gigs of ram..... huge memory hog...

of course I used it..... laptops come with windows preinstalled >_>

and if it wasn't unstable why did corporations basically skip a generation?

it was a huge public relations disaster.

Omikron

of course I used it..... laptops come with windows preinstalled >_>

and if it wasn't unstable why did corporations basically skip a generation?

it was a huge public relations disaster.

Because XP was so embedded into their business process and current generation of applications.

Businesses move super slow on OS uptake generally. Making the leap to Win7 was logical as it was not that much different to Vista compatibility wise.

Danoss

Bandwagoners jumping on the bitch train. Many people who knocked Vista never used the OS, there was a a lot of hearsay in the noise about how 'terrible' it was.

Anyone who used it post SP1 wouldn't be talking shit about the OS, because it was fine. Windows 7 isn't that much different from it.

Businesses move super slow on OS uptake generally.

And heaps of them are still using XP. That doesn't mean Windows 7 is terrible, but according to midonnay in could be hinting at exactly that.

Because XP was so embedded into their business process and current generation of applications.

Businesses move super slow on OS uptake generally. Making the leap to Win7 was logical as it was not that much different to Vista compatibility wise.

many still use 98. if the programs that they use still worked on 98 theyd still use 98. infact a lot of companies stay on old os versions BECAUSE of this. "our custom-made program from the 80s that runs on COBOL basically RUNS OUR COMPANY, WE MUST KEEP IT."

I would kill a man to see an article of his in a magazine layout format. Kotaku/Blog-style websites are alright for delivering quality articles, but (as you might expect) I really love the stuff designers can do.

Yeah good point. He can make a so-so article into something engaging and worth reading.

midonnay

in other words..... we have something that works....why upgrade to a buggy pos?

jambo

xendN.gif

I give up

My main issue with Vista was it asking me 4 fucking times if I really, really, really, wanted to do the thing I asked it to do.

Are you sure you want to do X?
You will need Administrator privileges?
So you're fine with giving using your Administrator privileges?
You have asked to do X. Do you wish to proceed?

How that shit got through beta testing is beyond me. Perhaps Microsoft believes that people only ever use Microsoft programs so no one would ever really face this question multiple times a day.

Or perhaps it was their way of ensuring that would become a reality.

Never noticed until now the guy on the left of frame checking out the chick as she walks past.

You can play games on the C64 just fine! Why upgrade to a PC which requires driver upgrades and the games are buggy!

My main issue with Vista was it asking me 4 fucking times if I really, really, really, wanted to do the thing I asked it to do.
Which (due to Apple's fantastic advertising), along with the higher resource requirements, was IMO the main reason it failed.

Given the negative word of mouth of 8, I have a feeling it's failed even before its launch. Personally I don't mind the Metro interface (particularly the start menu) and think in a year or two once applications start to take advantage of it, it will be pretty good.

Edit: Just read this. IIRC he was a bit negative of Metro for a while? Yes, it is a Microsoft fansite... blog... thing.
What these people seem to be forgetting, however, is that if you look just at the improvements Microsoft has added to the desktop side of Windows 8, you’ll discover that Windows 8 is a bigger improvement over Windows 7 than was that OS over Vista.

Cohsae

Anyone here got a Kindle? I want to download The Maltese Falcon but apparently it's not available to customers in Australia. Is there some kind of ip business I can use to finagle a copy or am I stuck?

Dead Man

Card Boy

Banned
Guys get this game.

Ascension
ascension-ipad.jpg

It's on sale for 99cents, plus the expansions are on sale for 99cents aswell. It's a Universal app.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
$195 for soundwave ticket with booking and processing fee... better be worth it! Supposedly the second announcement is heavier. 4pm tomorrow hurry up!

Yagharek

Bandwagoners jumping on the bitch train. Many people who knocked Vista never used the OS, there was a a lot of hearsay in the noise about how 'terrible' it was.

Anyone who used it post SP1 wouldn't be talking shit about the OS, because it was fine. Windows 7 isn't that much different from it.

Rubbish.

There were widespread issues post-SP2 that prevented anyone from upgrading to SP3, and bsods followed every time you tried to circumvent it.

I also used it for >4 years, so get this bandwagon shit outta here.

Ydahs

I've never heard of Sleeping Dogs. Must be way out of loop.

Any AusGaffers getting CS:GO? Would be sweet if we can get a match up and running in the near future.

Choc

Banned
man gaf is full of know it all fuckwits

dicks tha thav watched 5 mins of the assange case that think they know it all

tools

midonnay

I'm pro-Assange....

but I'm also pro-making Britain look stupid....

if Equador could somehow smuggle him out of the country it would make up for the Olympics :p

Danoss

Rubbish.

There were widespread issues post-SP2 that prevented anyone from upgrading to SP3, and bsods followed every time you tried to circumvent it.

Rubbish. Similar problems happened with XP, yet no one is trashing it, somehow it gets a free pass. Not Vista though, join the hate train on it.
Bandwagoner :p

Binary Domain on 360/PS3 for $16.40 delivered from Zavvi

Also FUCK YOU REBELLION. You make shitty games (although Sniper 2 was okay) so you feel the need to lash out at a really great indie PC developer? For having the fucking word Rebellion in a game title? A sequel to one of their series? Did you have a car crash recently and somehow get amnesia and forget that rebellion is a pretty fucking normal common word?
I don't even own any of Ironclad's games but that is some serious no-publisher-will-work-with-us-any-more bottom of the barrel shit right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom