• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comment still stands, this is corporate law not criminal.

I'm sure when she originally went to Judge School she may have originally wanted to clean up the streets and stop shortie from frontin on them drugs before falling into a Patent Law Judgin' Major and eventually being stuck listening to technology companies wave their dicks around.

I raised a hypothetical situation to make light of the situation and have a laugh. You guys are too nitpicky and boring! Be more fun! Have a laugh!

EDIT: I must come across as an moron from my light hearted posting here :(
Again, the Judge School thing was a joke. My cousin is hoping to head that way in another few years for the sweet, sweet wigs.

Jintor

i can't laugh pursuant to Reg 3 s3(3)(c)(i) of the Humour and Tolerable Limitations Act 1940 (Cth), given the decision in Huntington v Jerkwad (1985) 230 CLR 23 at 52.

Btw judge school is also law school since most judges are picked from the ranks of lawyers

Gazunta

Kicking myself for missing the first one when they appeared at the news agents. 2 and 3 were really nice and I'm looking forward to the rest of them appearing. I haven't seen what the rest of the books will be, it's a nice surprise.

Today's just been one of these days where I keep getting positive things happen on the work front, and it's only 2.30pm! Whoooo hoo. Next week is gonna be fun.

In stupider news, looks like the Giana Project Kickstarter will juuuuust miss its target, and the new David Crane game Kickstarter is dead in the water. Damn it :(

I'm sure when she originally went to Judge School she may have originally wanted to clean up the streets and stop shortie from frontin on them drugs before falling into a Patent Law Judgin' Major and eventually being stuck listening to technology companies wave their dicks around.

I raised a hypothetical situation to make light of the situation and have a laugh. You guys are too nitpicky and boring! Be more fun! Have a laugh!

EDIT: I must come across as an moron from my light hearted posting here :(
Again, the Judge School thing was a joke. My cousin is hoping to head that way in another few years for the sweet, sweet wigs.
what is humour..?

Clipper

Danoss' post got me looking into the recent board gaming news again, which lead me to making a new purchase. My strategy of buying games that I like the attached license of without really being sure of the mechanics hasn't failed me yet, so I'm giving it another go:

dr-who.jpg

It'll be released sometime in the next month or so. Martin Wallace is the designer of the truly awesome Discworld:Ankh-Morpork as well, so that really raises my anticipation for its arrival too. Hopefully this will get played at a SydGAF Board Games day... although it seems like interest is waning, given Danoss and Jintor's responses to my previous call for interest...

Danoss

It's just too far to travel man, and the costs involved make it too much on top of that. It's not a lack of interest on my part at least.

It's 50+ mins travel time each way on the bike, depending on what the traffic is like. That's if I take the M5, which is $4.40 each way, plus extras because I don't have an e-tag. Or it's much longer with heavier traffic to avoid tolls.

Or it's 2 buses and a train, taking about 90 mins each way, which is slightly cheaper (because I'm not paying the correct fare when I do), otherwise it would be much more.

The other place I play games at is 20 minutes travel each way, no tolls, minimal traffic, just the cost of petrol. We also get in about 6-7+ hours of gaming each time. That's much more manageable for me.

Marvel-Ultimate-Collection-AusGAF: The "Creators" part of my Dark Phoenix Saga has a bit of... I don't know, smudging?... on the second page. Like it's readable, but kinda blurry/fuzzy, as if it were out of focus. Anyone else have this issue? Not really sure if it's worth getting onto the publisher about as it's not really a huge deal, more of a little niggle.

Quality of the books seems to be fantastic otherwise (still only read the first one through).

Dead Man

So. This offshore processing thing. Does anyone care? I know I do (working in the sector probably will do that) but it seems everyone else just wants the problem to go away, even if we end up breaking international law to do it.

remz

So. This offshore processing thing. Does anyone care? I know I do (working in the sector probably will do that) but it seems everyone else just wants the problem to go away, even if we end up breaking international law to do it.

I'll care about the issue when it isn't drowned out by doublespeak. The whole thing is too drenched in subtle racism and fear of brown people for the conversations around it to make any sort of sense.

Yagharek

I'm sick of the way the issue is covered, and the complete lack of humanity, honesty and integrity in the debate.

midonnay

I've already made my views clear previously.....but in short...

there is nothing noble about people drowning at sea and we should do our utmost to remove incentives for people to make the treacherous journey. Labor's carrot/stick approach makes the most sense out of the various political parties' policies.

Yagharek

there is nothing noble about people drowning at sea and we should do our utmost to remove incentives for people to make the treacherous journey. Labor's carrot/stick approach makes the most sense out of the various political parties' policies.

Agreed.

People are going to try and get to places like Australia, regardless of what countries are along the way. You have to find ways to stop them crossing via smugglers, and you have to try and give them a way to get settled somewhere.

There really needs to be a regional hub. Everyone comes via Indonesia, so base a hub there. Every SE Asian/Oceania country can have a processing presence there. Aus, NZ, Fiji, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam etc all have a presence, accept applications and move them on to safe places quickly according to skills, training, relatives, language and familiarity with the local culture (ie you wouldn't send a Rwandan Hutu into a Tutsi neighbourhood).

It's everyone's problem, and it needs an international solution rather than an inter-party mudslinging match waged in news corp papers.

markot

Banned
I like how all of a sudden people care about people drowning. Its become the new fashion in the debate. Its not about not wanting them types here, we dont want them risking their lives to get here.

All of a sudden the 'no boats' people are trying to be the compassionate ones masking their intolerance and hate.

I like how all of a sudden people care about people drowning. Its become the new fashion in the debate. Its not about not wanting them types here, we dont want them risking their lives to get here.

All of a sudden the 'no boats' people are trying to be the compassionate ones masking their intolerance and hate.
All down to one hilarious video about being on a boat. Really makes you think, which is why people aren't so adverse to boats any more.

Clipper

It's just too far to travel man, and the costs involved make it too much on top of that. It's not a lack of interest on my part at least.

No problems mate, I didn't mean to imply there was an issue with your reasons, just that there's issues with the number of people we can potentially get, which is nobody's fault, just an unfortunate truth.

Danoss

No problems mate, I didn't mean to imply there was an issue with your reasons, just that there's issues with the number of people we can potentially get, which is nobody's fault, just an unfortunate truth.

Don't worry dude, it wasn't taken as such. I just thought I'd explain myself and why I cannot continue to attend at the current location.

hirokazu

Hi AusGAF,

I'm currently in a dispute with Optus since May regarding Qantas Frequent Flyer bonus points they advertised in December last year but have since refused to honour. I ask if anybody looked at or signed up to any Optus Business plans online in December and know or remember how many bonus QFF points were on offer if you could please let me know by PM or something.

It's so frustrating dealing with those scumbags. Much appreciated.

I can't really help, but I've had good dealings with the social team on Twitter (they're the retention group). I had a problem regular channels were ignoring and it was fixed the same day by the Twitter team.

Dead Man

I'll care about the issue when it isn't drowned out by doublespeak. The whole thing is too drenched in subtle racism and fear of brown people for the conversations around it to make any sort of sense.

I'm sick of the way the issue is covered, and the complete lack of humanity, honesty and integrity in the debate.
Well, I would suggest that for both of you being informed and participating in the debate is the best way to prevent that sort of shit. It is a messy debate, but I think a lot of that is because people are sick of it unless they are very invested.

There is not a great deal of carrot involved with the current legislation. I work with people in community detention, so basically they are integrating into the community while their appeals are being processed. Kids go to school, get english lessons etc. If they are processed offshore, they will not have access to that. With processing taking a minimum of 6 months and often almost a year, that is just a rubbish response to me.

As for saving lives, how do you think these people get to Indonesia or Malaysia? They go on leaky arse boats. I don't understand how this is supposed to actually deter people from making the last little voyage either. Sure, they get sent offshore for processing, but then they get Australian visas at the end of the process anyway. And the only way to get into the process is to apply in Australia or get intercepted. Unless people can apply for refugee status BEFORE sailing to Australia I don't see how it will change anything. Even with this regime it is more attractive than the process in Indonesia or most other places in SE Asia.

Yeah, pretty transparent from most of the groups using that line.

Anyway, I suppose I just needed to rant, thanks :)

Danoss

It's so frustrating dealing with those scumbags. Much appreciated.

I can't help either, but I can sympathise. The jerks at Optus screwed up a mobile phone contract of mine and locked me in for 24 months instead of 12, that took about 2 weeks to fix. It was years ago, but fuck them forever because of it. I grew a hatred for the voice on their IVR, goddamn it.

I had to deal with Telstra yesterday to change our landline plan and apply my Gran's pensioner discount to it. Then get transferred to Foxtel to change the plan on that. All up that took about an hour.

The Telstra bitch started yelling at me telling me "I don't understand" when she couldn't get it through her thick skull to backdate a pensioner discount, or just tell me that it had already occurred. Her supervisor confirmed it complete and gave a $10 credit for having my time wasted by that retard of a woman.

Then Foxtel just had to change my plan, we pay through Telstra, have informed them of the account name transfer through a bereavement support form and they still have my Aunt's details on record even though she's been gone for 9 months. The morons don't talk to eachother. I was told by this smug-as-fuck guy I had to take my 87 year old Gran into a Telstra store with her ID to have this fixed... GET FUCKED I'M MAKING HER DO THAT. I said "okay" as if I was going to do it, then this cunt says "DID YOU HEAR WHAT I SAID?" in a piece of shit tone. I told him what I thought of him after he pulled that attitude. After I didn't hear what he said on one occasion after that, he thought that was his cue to. Speak. To. Me. Like. This. Condescending prick. I wanted to ram my fist through the phone and knock out his eye teeth.

The gall of these people. If they were my services, I would have cancelled them then and there, making sure their supervisor knew why.

midonnay

As for saving lives, how do you think these people get to Indonesia or Malaysia? They go on leaky arse boats.

The ones in question are mostly by plane.... the ones that try to come by boat are usually pushed backed into sea. eg: Thailand...and I'm pretty sure Malaysia too.

and its 600 dead in the last 3 years alone.... so I'm not sure how you can ignore that and play the race card :/

Dead Man

The ones in question are mostly by plane.... the ones that try to come by boat are usually pushed backed into sea. eg: Thailand...and I'm pretty sure Malaysia too.

and its 600 dead in the last 3 years alone.... so I'm not sure how you can ignore that and play the race card :/

I don't think I'm playing any race cards :/ And the ones in question that come by plane are treated differently, they will be processed in Australia.

As for 600 dead, that is tragic. But how will the new process prevent further deaths?

Omikron

I am pretty much in line with Dead Man on this debate, can't see the current legislation changes that just went through changing particularly much in the number of arrivals etc, but I suppose we will get to see that play out now.

BTW: My sense of taste is gone slowly over teh course of today. Just ate some vegemite toast and not being able to taste that was super weird. Stupid cold.

midonnay

I don't think I'm playing any race cards :/ And the ones in question that come by plane are treated differently, they will be processed in Australia.

nah, I was replying to the bit about how they got to Indonesia and Malaysia. The ones that come by boat are the Hmong and Tamils....its abit far for Iranians/afganis to come by boat from their country.

As for 600 dead, that is tragic. But how will the new process prevent further deaths?

I wasn't supporting the new process.... I'm not really up to date with it to be honest..... seems to be a return to Howard policy from what I can gather.

I was in support of Labor's previous policy...and I've already outlined my position on that in the past.... I don't see the point of going in circles >_>

Dead Man

nah, I was replying to the bit about how they got to Indonesia and Malaysia.

I wasn't supporting the new process.... I'm not really up to date with it to be honest..... seems to be a return to Howard policy from what I can gather.

I was in support of Labor's previous policy...

Sorry if I misunderstood you, still don't see how I was playing any race card.

midonnay

Sorry if I misunderstood you, still don't see how I was playing any race card.

Yeah, pretty transparent from most of the groups using that line.

>_>

hirokazu

I can't really help, but I've had good dealings with the social team on Twitter (they're the retention group). I had a problem regular channels were ignoring and it was fixed the same day by the Twitter team.
Thanks, I'm dealing with the Social Media Response team at present, but they can only pass on info between me and the points team responsible for the screwup. I believe they're trying their best, but the people they're dealing with seem more intent on blaming the customer rather than looking if something went wrong internally.

hirokazu

I don't even know what's going on with the refugee policies anymore. Or boat people. Illegals. Whatever. It's just so tragic that this is the way a nation of haves treats a group of desperate havenots.

Dead Man

Eh, not seeing it. I was saying that many groups that are now using the 'don't want to see peopel risk their life' were previously not caring about that at all. For years there was no mention of that as a concern, and in the last 12 months all the anti immigration groups are now caring about it? Yeah, don't think calling that out is using a race card. Maybe a bullshit card :)

I don't even know what's going on with the refugee policies anymore. Or boat people. Illegals. Whatever. It's just so tragic that this is the way a nation of haves treats a group of desperate havenots.

This is not aimed at you, but fuck Abbott and co for calling them illegals. It is perfectly legal to arrive in the country you are seeking asylum in and request asylum. They have broken no laws at all by doing that. Fuck.

One nice thing about sending complaints to the TIO is that Optus will have to pay a fee once you submit the complaint. The people you're dealing with won't care about you threatening to submit a complaint though. Unless it's changed recently, you'll get someone from Adelaide following it up pretty fast.

hirokazu

oh yeah forgot... >_<

Hirokazu..... there is a Telecommunications Ombudsman that you can send your dispute to...

may not get anywhere but maybe try threatening Optus to complain to them

http://www.tio.com.au/
Thanks. I heard that they have to pay whenever something gets referred to the TIO, and more for each escalation when they don't resolve the matter. I have mentioned that if what they've offered is the best they could do, then I have no hesitation of taking I immediately to the TIO, but each time they offer to do a bit more to try resolve it, then come back with yet another unsatisfactory resolution, but I'm forced to wait it out and give them an opportunity to fix it.

I make the decisions for 5 landlines, three broadband connections, and four mobile contracts (with a variety of telcos), and I have strong influence several over phone, Internet and mobile decisions for family and friends, so treating me like a lying shit does absolutely no favours for them. But I'm not one to wave all of that in their face. I only told them I can't believe I'm treated like this after being a customer for over 10 years and they can expect to lose my business as soon as each of the contracts I have with them have expired.

I'm not really into pressuring them to make a reluctant decision based on how much potential business they'd lose or threatening them with further action. I really just want them to find out what the hell went wrong, acknowledge it, and fix it, but it really keeps looking like I'll have to resort to alternative ways to solve this like the TIO, Fair Trading, or whatever.

hirokazu

This is not aimed at you, but fuck Abbott and co for calling them illegals. It is perfectly legal to arrive in the country you are seeking asylum in and request asylum. They have broken no laws at all by doing that. Fuck.
Yeah, I was making a deliberate mention of all the roundabout terms they use to demonise refugees when they come by boat. Australian politics is up to a point that much of it is just fucking stupid and not good honest debate where one side yells one dumb thing, then the other side yells another equally polarising dumb thing, and the issue at hand gets stuck in the middle, unresolved.

Danoss

it was a joke dude.... I'm asian ...I was making an asian joke ffs >_>

I know two people with the surname Lee, neither of them are asian. Ask the famous Stan Lee about his (non)asian heritage. I hope you don't complain about stereotypes, when you assist in perpetuating them.

Just in case you're not aware, race doesn't transmit itself through the internet. If I asked why your avatar doesn't have slanted eyes, I'd surely cop a ban for it. One is probably on it's way now for that last sentence.

Also, did I miss the memo where jokes were no longer required to be funny? I must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom