• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Yeah, I was making a deliberate mention of all the roundabout terms they use to demonise refugees when they come by boat. Australian politics is up to a point that much of it is just fucking stupid and not good honest debate where one side yells one dumb thing, then the other side yells another equally polarising dumb thing, and the issue at hand gets stuck in the middle, unresolved.

Yep.

hirokazu

There have been times when my mind was blown when somebody has the surname Lee but aren't Asian. Never thought anything odd from Stan Lee, but when I first heard of Brett Lee, I was thinking "What, an Asian cricketer?!" But it wasn't to be. Now I'm sort of curious what the origins of the non-Asian Lee surname are.

EDIT: Well Wikipedia's solved that.

Dead Man

There have been times when my mind was blown when somebody has the surname Lee but aren't Asian. Never thought anything odd from Stan Lee, but when I first heard of Brett Lee, I was thinking "What, an Asian cricketer?!" But it wasn't to be. Now I'm sort of curious what the origins of the non-Asian Lee surname are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_(English_name)

There are several distinct origins of the Lee surname. The most common is derived from Old English lēah, meaning a meadow or forest clearing. This developed variously into the surnames Lee, Lea, and Leigh. The Lees of Shropshire (originally Norman de Lee) were notable as the forebears of the colonial American Lee family which produced Richard Henry Lee, Robert E. Lee, and Zachary Taylor.

In Gaelic-speaking parts of the British Isles, Lee, Lea, and Leigh were all used to Anglicise the occupational surname laoidhigh, meaning "poet".

So Meadow Lea is redundant. I learned somethig new today.

midonnay

its Stan Lieber >_>

anyways its besides the point.... I saw an artists depiction of the court room in an article when I made the quip previously and Bill Lee is of my kin.

610x.jpg

right?!! right??!

midonnay

whatever it was an innocent joke

ausgaf was making all sorts of generalisations about handyman being asian/greek etc the other day and you didn't say anything...

Danoss

It isn't obvious? I don't think I could have been any plainer.

Oh, Jintor edited.

I'll stop before someone calls me a racist or some shit.

I don't understand why everyone is grumpy :s

As a side note/rant, one of my friends is really starting to bug me with his "Asian people do X, white people do Y" attitude. There is truly no better way to make someone in the group feel like an outsider than to point to them and say "see, Shan's not doing X because she's white". People don't fit into little boxes like that.

ANYWAY. I have been mega busy. I had my first 9 hour shift ever and now I am rolling in dough. The first installment of my marvel comics finally came, and so did my heisig book! But sadly there is no time to read them :(

Kritz

Banned
Two hours later and windows isn't booting (although did boot once somehow). Running diag on the system, which is taking forever. Can't tell if it's frozen or not. Any time I try to boot from the ssd it gives a winload.exe error which google hasn't been remotely helpful in resolving, at that it takes like 15 minutes to boot to the windows install disc which is slowly driving me crazy.

Surely this is against workplace health and safety etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure most food places are fairly shady when it comes to rostering etc. I found out that managers are paid roughly the same wage as me, but they only get paid for 20 hours a week (most of them work everyday open til close). What kind of incentive is that for career advancement?

midonnay

As a side note/rant, one of my friends is really starting to bug me with his "Asian people do X, white people do Y" attitude. There is truly no better way to make someone in the group feel like an outsider than to point to them and say "see, Shan's not doing X because she's white". People don't fit into little boxes like that.

why do aussies wear shoes in the house >_<

in bed sometimes too :O

It's hard rubbish this week, so along with all the crap we've put on the nature strip (half of which is already gone), I decided to chuck out all the optical discs I haven't used for years. I think there's another couple of hundred floating about but these are the ones I threw out today.

IMG_20120818_125424.jpg
IMG_20120818_125347.jpg

Should've made a disc angel!

It's hard rubbish this week, so along with all the crap we've put on the nature strip (half of which is already gone), I decided to chuck out all the optical discs I haven't used for years. I think there's another couple of hundred floating about but these are the ones I threw out today.

IMG_20120818_125424.jpg
IMG_20120818_125347.jpg

Should've made a disc angel!

one Playstation disc. It reminds me a bit of sonic

Salazar

I'm pretty sure most food places are fairly shady when it comes to rostering etc. I found out that managers are paid roughly the same wage as me, but they only get paid for 20 hours a week (most of them work everyday open til close). What kind of incentive is that for career advancement?

I meant rolling in dough.

Also: marking = death. I feel like I would almost rather write 40 essays than mark them.

Yagharek

Essendon can go and get fucked. I've had it with this team.

Losing is fine, but not even trying is inexcusable.

Unprofessional, undisciplined and insipid effort today. I'm done with them as of today.

edit: this isn't sour grapes. Carlton won fair and square. Umpires gave Essendon more free kicks, some of them unjustified. What really shat me off was the twin 50 metre penalty incident and Dempsey throwing a wobbly at the umpire. OK, so the game wasnt going their way at that time, but that was just childish and showed a complete lack of class.

A few years ago I was disappointed in Essendon when they came 14th or whatever, and got pumped by West Coast with LeCras getting 12 goals. At least that year there was an occasional effort. This year showed that Essendon are happy to play excuses with injuries and rush back players when they aren't ready.
In my books, the only players who have consistently worked hard are Watson and Stanton and Fletcher, although Fletcher hanging around is a bad thing in some ways since it leads other defenders to be lazy bums and rely on him.

Best comment I read on bomberblitz today was this:

Changes for next week:
IN: Thompson
Out: Hird

In the end though, I'm done following them if they think this is an effort worth paying flight plan money for. They are heading in the general direction of Richmond and I expect nothing but mediocrity from them for years.

About the only thing that would get me interested in them again would be a 70% list clearout, with the exception of maybe 6 players (Watson, Zaka, Stanton, Ryder, Heppell, Hocking. Maaaaaybe Hurley.). Everyone else who is over 25 can get out, and they can play young kids for a few years even if it means wooden spoons. A rebuild is the only thing that could save them.

All this is weird: the season this year has been good to watch with lots of even sides playing good footy. A shame Essendon has no interest in even trying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
NeoGAF won't work from my home Internet connection. Weird DNS error. Every other site works fine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did Mario come out today?

maladroid

Essendon can go and get fucked. I've had it with this team.

Losing is fine, but not even trying is inexcusable.

Unprofessional, undisciplined and insipid effort today. I'm done with them as of today.

edit: this isn't sour grapes. Carlton won fair and square. Umpires gave Essendon more free kicks, some of them unjustified. What really shat me off was the twin 50 metre penalty incident and Dempsey throwing a wobbly at the umpire. OK, so the game wasnt going their way at that time, but that was just childish and showed a complete lack of class.

A few years ago I was disappointed in Essendon when they came 14th or whatever, and got pumped by West Coast with LeCras getting 12 goals. At least that year there was an occasional effort. This year showed that Essendon are happy to play excuses with injuries and rush back players when they aren't ready.
In my books, the only players who have consistently worked hard are Watson and Stanton and Fletcher, although Fletcher hanging around is a bad thing in some ways since it leads other defenders to be lazy bums and rely on him.

Best comment I read on bomberblitz today was this:

In the end though, I'm done following them if they think this is an effort worth paying flight plan money for. They are heading in the general direction of Richmond and I expect nothing but mediocrity from them for years.

About the only thing that would get me interested in them again would be a 70% list clearout, with the exception of maybe 6 players (Watson, Zaka, Stanton, Ryder, Heppell, Hocking. Maaaaaybe Hurley.). Everyone else who is over 25 can get out, and they can play young kids for a few years even if it means wooden spoons. A rebuild is the only thing that could save them.

All this is weird: the season this year has been good to watch with lots of even sides playing good footy. A shame Essendon has no interest in even trying.
Naww, Rando, there there. Here's something to cheer you up in prep for next week. :)

http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/contentid/480845/invoke/Default.aspx

midonnay

cmon north melbourne and Brisbane :O

hmmm... saw this on BF..... nearly like clockwork >_>

Round 19 2010
ESS 73
CAR 149

Round 18 2011
ESS 79
CAR 153

Elim Final 2011
ESS 87
CAR 149

Round 21 2012
ESS 60
CAR 156

Yagharek

Naww, Rando, there there. Here's something to cheer you up in prep for next week. :)

http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/contentid/480845/invoke/Default.aspx

I'm not upset, just incredibly disappointed at the piss poor effort Essendon has displayed the last 2 months, culminating in today.

They dont care about playing; I'll stop caring about them.

Edit: Finals prediction time:

North and Fremantle are running into some hot form right now. One of them will make the prelims. North could go all the way going by their form.

maladroid

cmon north melbourne and Brisbane :O

hmmm... saw this on BF..... nearly like clockwork >_>
Great wins by North and Brisbane. Glad that wasn't in them last week. Hope North continue on their impressive form with a good, convincing win next week.

Great stats. Would've been less nervous if I knew that was our end of season form against them.

I'm not upset, just incredibly disappointed at the piss poor effort Essendon has displayed the last 2 months, culminating in today.

They dont care about playing; I'll stop caring about them.

Edit: Finals prediction time:

North and Fremantle are running into some hot form right now. One of them will make the prelims. North could go all the way going by their form.
All downhill since the Melbourne loss. Quite the opposite to North, who have really shown something since the Hawks loss. Don't like Lyon at all, but don't mind the brand of footy North play when they're on song. Really classy move with the Sandilands inclusion at the last minute in today's match against the Tiges.

Yagharek

Essendon have been going downhill since the 2nd half versus richmond. Melbourne was just the second stage of the downturn.

Really classy move with the Sandilands inclusion at the last minute in today's match against the Tiges.

Richmond are the last team who should have the right to complain about dirty tactics with their rushed behind history.

Either way, I think percentage will decide the 8th spot. Carlton will win big next week, Freo will win big in rd23. Assuming North win against Fremantle next week, the deciding issue will be the margin in the Saints/Blues and Dockers/North game.

I suspect fremantle will sneak in.

Unless essendon beat collingwood and richmond by a combined total of 47 goals.

one Playstation disc. It reminds me a bit of sonic
It reminds me more of the book 'the rainbow fish.
we did that in malaysia often too......well.... I was a country bumpkin anyways (durian/banana etc plantation) >_>

but we wash feet before coming in :x
:O that's awesome! So were you born over there? I heard it's illegal to sell durians here because of the smell :p
I meant rolling in dough.

Also: marking = death. I feel like I would almost rather write 40 essays than mark them.
Oh right. Haha, it helps that I have basically no expenses. Koreas, here I come!

You're marking already?! Essays are due already?!! It's only week four!

maladroid

Essendon have been going downhill since the 2nd half versus richmond. Melbourne was just the second stage of the downturn.

Richmond are the last team who should have the right to complain about dirty tactics with their rushed behind history.

Either way, I think percentage will decide the 8th spot. Carlton will win big next week, Freo will win big in rd23. Assuming North win against Fremantle next week, the deciding issue will be the margin in the Saints/Blues and Dockers/North game.

I suspect fremantle will sneak in.

Unless essendon beat collingwood and richmond by a combined total of 47 goals.
With Freo a good chance for finals, and West Coast currently in 5th with two tough matches to end the season, I'm hoping the Kangas are keen to lock in a home final. Despite their injuries, they played well against Collingwood. I'm hoping they continue on with that form against the Dockers at Etihad. I'm not really liking our percentage boost being an away game, but our last foray into Queensland wasn't too bad for us. In the last round, Freo get to play the Dees at Subi, but the one positive for us is that they play on a Saturday, while our clash with the Saints is the day after.

Like I've mentioned, the planets have to align a little bit, but today's result makes it a little bit more reasonable.

On our end:
1. Beat the Suns by at least 10 goals
Things that help us: A forward line that can finally put up a triple-figure score. Last match in Qld was a 15-goal win.

2. Beat St. Kilda by anything.
Things that help us: With Freo winning against the Tiges, 13 wins is a minimum for 8th spot, which rules out the Saints. Hopefully this means Riewoldt won't be risked, so that he can have the '3 more years' he wants to have.

On their end:
1. Lose to the Kangas by 10+ points
Things that help us: Kangas' form, especially at Etihad.

2. Melbourne to be competitive (i.e. lose by only around 10 goals)
Things that help us: Bupkis (besides them playing the day before).

I'm biased, obviously, but I think we still have a shot. Even if we don't, today was enough for me. Revelations of Casboult and Bell help, too.

Salazar

You're marking already?! Essays are due already?!! It's only week four!

Small essay. Worth not very many marks. Designed largely to see who needs help, who doesn't, who is full of brains.

And I haven't yet acquired the facility of rapid marking. I care too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom