• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

So, I didn't bother trying to work around the iiNet DNS issue and had a holiday from GAF yesterday. Woke up early and thought I might see if GAF is back. I start with AusGAF and discover Danoss is banned, apparently for racist comments made while complaining about stereotyping (still trying to figure out what happened there) and an excessive level of hate went down yesterday.

What happened to you, AusGAF?

legend166

So yesterday's games couldn't have worked out better for the Swans. Win today and beat Hawthorn next week and we win the minor premiership :D

Looking at his post history for the past day, I spied an errant "c word" from yesterday. That's a no-no these days, isn't it? Isn't that (one of the) reasons that choc got banned last time?

Jintor

It's hard rubbish this week, so along with all the crap we've put on the nature strip (half of which is already gone), I decided to chuck out all the optical discs I haven't used for years. I think there's another couple of hundred floating about but these are the ones I threw out today.

IMG_20120818_125424.jpg
IMG_20120818_125347.jpg

Should've made a disc angel!

Honestly, you should've made an art project instead

we did that in malaysia often too......well.... I was a country bumpkin anyways (durian/banana etc plantation) >_>

but we wash feet before coming in :x

But still in Selangor right

RIGHT

I kind of wish there was a big updated list of bans and reasons for bans. Penny-arcade forum used to have one, but then their moderation team was incredibly, incredibly sarcastic most of the time and would not hesitate to just insult you. It was like having an entire team of Amir0xes but with slightly less vitriol.

hirokazu

If I were to throw out a bunch of discs like that, I'd definitely make sure people couldn't read what's on the discs without some work. Maybe I'm too paranoid.

Honestly, you should've made an art project instead
I briefly considered doing something fun (other than jumping on them and sliding on the floor, which I did because why not?), but I was in 'chuck everything out' mode so the brain was in a different gear.

If I were to throw out a bunch of discs like that, I'd definitely make sure people couldn't read what's on the discs without some work. Maybe I'm too paranoid.
There's no personal information on those discs. The black disc should give away the sort of content that is on them. Haven't used them for years so no sense in keeping them around.

Deeku

oh yay this place is working again! harmony restored!

lol asian stereotypes!

sleeping dogs is alright!

shanshan310 said:
I heard it's illegal to sell durians here because of the smell :p
gahhhhh durian smell D: they actually taste alright though. Have you smelt that asian street food called "smelly tofu"? Now that is actually kinda illegal to sell on the streets these days, I think.

why do aussies wear shoes in the house >_<

in bed sometimes too :O
:O indeed! I have separate slippers for use on carpet and the rest of the house! Also handymen that either offer to take their shoes off or do it immediately are the best!

Deeku

you can get them at like coles/woolies lol

And I haven't yet acquired the facility of rapid marking. I care too much.
i always liked markers that write useful comments on my assignments. i hate it when you get a paper back and it's just random ticking, circling and question marking...ok maybe not random, but still, i like it when markers care!

As a side note/rant, one of my friends is really starting to bug me with his "Asian people do X, white people do Y" attitude. There is truly no better way to make someone in the group feel like an outsider than to point to them and say "see, Shan's not doing X because she's white". People don't fit into little boxes like that.
i always thought it was kinda funny how all your friends are asian, well at least in the group photos you've posted.

umm, i hope i didn't offend you by saying that:p

Wallabies played better then expected last night. Was a decent game.

I can never find Simpsons Youtubes when I want them. Stupid Fox. :(

They must have someone employed full time reporting them to YouTube.

Forgot how long installing stuff from DVDs took. Also forgot I can't get irc bot going without my computer on.

I can't remember the last time I installed something off a disc.

It's hard rubbish this week, so along with all the crap we've put on the nature strip (half of which is already gone), I decided to chuck out all the optical discs I haven't used for years. I think there's another couple of hundred floating about but these are the ones I threw out today.

IMG_20120818_125424.jpg
IMG_20120818_125347.jpg

Should've made a disc angel!

I did the same a few years ago. Felt so good throwing them all out. So many Linux iso's.

Same,I put them face down onto concrete and scratched them all up.

midonnay

They're plentiful in my area. Never bought one though as I'd have no idea what to do with it.

Except maybe this.

they're shipped frozen from Thailand I think...

the freezing locks in the stinkiness..... apparently >_>

I'm pretty much immune to the smell unless it has been left in the fridge open for a few days....

then it smells like gym socks :/

There are different varieties too so some might taste sweet like custard and others more bitter.

ps: aren't they grown in Qld/NT too? thought I read that somewhere....

But still in Selangor right

RIGHT

Kedah.... my descendents are from thailand.

I'm a mongrel ._.

Deeku

bitter would be gross. i say the custardy it is the better!

i want durian now! or durian flavoured icecream.

actually, jackfruit is my favourite tropical type fruit!

Jintor

1) Lay out newspaper all over the floor.
2) Get huge cleavers
3) Cleave durians.
4) Eat with hands

Om nom nom

Under no circumstances do this in, on, or near a carpeted room

Deeku

pfff you don't need cleavers! You just need to find the right spot and just open it with bare hands. That's what dad used to do anyway.

A spoon is required to scoop those pillows of durian out, though.

I don't think I've ever actually eaten one o_O
Small essay. Worth not very many marks. Designed largely to see who needs help, who doesn't, who is full of brains.

And I haven't yet acquired the facility of rapid marking. I care too much.

Its hard being a perfectionist ;.; everything takes so much longer.

Like Deek said, useful comments are really great. Otherwise its hard to know where I went wrong.
My favourite tutor for Japanese once marked me wrong and then wrote "sorry :(" underneath. She was adorable.

commanderdeek said:
i always thought it was kinda funny how all your friends are asian, well at least in the group photos you've posted.

umm, i hope i didn't offend you by saying that:p

Its not all my friends, just my uni ones :p My high school group looks quite the opposite.
Why would I be offended? The only time it bugs me is when my friend gets on the whole "you look different" tangent, or when staff forget to count me when we eat out =/ Once you get to the higher Japanese courses there tend to be few non-Asian people left *shrugs*

markot

Banned
Google now is pretty great, Google local Chinese takeaways and then I get card telling me travel times to the nearest ones with links to maps!

Deeku

My favourite tutor for Japanese once marked me wrong and then wrote "sorry :(" underneath. She was adorable.
Japanese tutors are the best! I got so many cool sushi/ganbatte stickers on my hw:D

Its not all my friends, just my uni ones :p My high school group looks quite the opposite.
Why would I be offended? The only time it bugs me is when my friend gets on the whole "you look different" tangent, or when staff forget to count me when we eat out =/ Once you get to the higher Japanese courses there tend to be few non-Asian people left *shrugs*
Oh god not getting counted would suck:/

Deeku

Finance major! I had to stop after intermediate 2 because I ran out of both electives and made up excuses to ask for more elective cps lol. And time, that's a thing too. You thinking of doing more?

Oh and I forgot to say, Sound Shapes is AMAZING!

As long as you can get language experience studying at uni isn't that important. UQ has language diplomas though, which are amazing (that's how I'm doing Korean ><). You can stick them onto any course, and it counts as an extra major basically.

Jintor

As long as you can get language experience studying at uni isn't that important. UQ has language diplomas though, which are amazing (that's how I'm doing Korean ><). You can stick them onto any course, and it counts as an extra major basically.

Yeah but I already DID my extra major and law is not really a do more than one additional major course

Deeku

Ya, I've honestly leant so much more by just doing stuff in japanese, eg games, news, podcasts etc.. Speaking is as crap as ever, but I will deal with that in the future. Shouldn't be toooooo hard.

Yeah but I already DID my extra major and law is not really a do more than one additional major course
Yeah, I think it's tougher for you since you do combined law, so less room for electives and general screwing around. Just concentrate on your current degree(s) and leave japanese for later when you're doing JET or something.

Fogz

Oh and I forgot to say, Sound Shapes is AMAZING!

Sound Shapes is amazing! I want to make music but I am frustrated that I can't because I am so untalented and uncreative :(

So I just am just content to just play Hills n Spills over and over again. I love that song! :)

Deeku

Sound Shapes is amazing! I want to make music but I am frustrated that I can't because I am so untalented and uncreative :(

So I just am just content to just play Hills n Spills over and over again. I love that song! :)
I need to play more levels! I've only completed the first album thing, then I went into creation and spent a lot of time just messing around. Like, not even trying to make a proper level, but just putting random stuff everywhere and listening to the sounds. Soooo good!

Reminds me a lot of Electroplankton on DS, but obviously with much more freedom. Makes me v. happy:D

Clipper

Can anyone get Club Nintendo working on the eShop? I've had it linked properly for ages but no recognition of any eShop purchases.
Are you talking about Aussie Club Nintendo or the US one? eShop purchases only count in the US Club Nintendo system, I believe.

Fogz

I need to play more levels! I've only completed the first album thing, then I went into creation and spent a lot of time just messing around. Like, not even trying to make a proper level, but just putting random stuff everywhere and listening to the sounds. Soooo good!

Reminds me a lot of Electroplankton on DS, but obviously with much more freedom. Makes me v. happy:D

Yep same, but after playing all the albums and unlocking everything. You should unlock the Beck stuff, those things make good sounds

Oh Zavvi have a sale on. Catherine for like $23, plus that FIFA deal someone posted a few days back is way cheaper at Zavvi (or at least was on Thursday when I checked). Too exhausted from wedding the garden to link.

Bulldogs making it interesting...

Edit: jinxed them......

Swans got a good kick up the backside at quarter time, was a disgusting display of football.

Mainly because I don't want the Bulldogs to end up above Port on the ladder

:/

Especially now that Boak has finished his season by the looks of it

:(

markot

Banned
Should I purr chase mario on german e shop or dick smith?!

I just got it from the Nintendo germanEshop! I hope I dont get shennaniganed by some regional shennanigans.

Oh Zavvi have a sale on. Catherine for like $23, plus that FIFA deal someone posted a few days back is way cheaper at Zavvi (or at least was on Thursday when I checked). Too exhausted from wedding the garden to link.

You've changed. The old unmarried reptile would have made a big banner etc haha. Have LOGS dropped the ball pricing wise lately, haven't seen many posts.

Should I purr chase mario on german e shop or dick smith?!

I just got it from the Nintendo germanEshop! I hope I dont get shennaniganed by some regional shennanigans.

Mines on the way from DVD.co.uk. $42 can't complain.

Interesting story, I had managed to avoid it long enough. Curious to see how it will all end.

Yagharek

With Freo a good chance for finals, and West Coast currently in 5th with two tough matches to end the season, I'm hoping the Kangas are keen to lock in a home final. Despite their injuries, they played well against Collingwood. I'm hoping they continue on with that form against the Dockers at Etihad. I'm not really liking our percentage boost being an away game, but our last foray into Queensland wasn't too bad for us. In the last round, Freo get to play the Dees at Subi, but the one positive for us is that they play on a Saturday, while our clash with the Saints is the day after.

Like I've mentioned, the planets have to align a little bit, but today's result makes it a little bit more reasonable.

On our end:
1. Beat the Suns by at least 10 goals
Things that help us: A forward line that can finally put up a triple-figure score. Last match in Qld was a 15-goal win.

2. Beat St. Kilda by anything.
Things that help us: With Freo winning against the Tiges, 13 wins is a minimum for 8th spot, which rules out the Saints. Hopefully this means Riewoldt won't be risked, so that he can have the '3 more years' he wants to have.

On their end:
1. Lose to the Kangas by 10+ points
Things that help us: Kangas' form, especially at Etihad.

2. Melbourne to be competitive (i.e. lose by only around 10 goals)
Things that help us: Bupkis (besides them playing the day before).

I'm biased, obviously, but I think we still have a shot. Even if we don't, today was enough for me. Revelations of Casboult and Bell help, too.

I think Carlton have left their run too late tbh. They can make it mathematically, but I think St Kilda will probably throw a spanner in the works. In any case, The 8th placed team will struggle to make a mark these finals, given they will be up against either WCE, North or Geelong.

So, I didn't bother trying to work around the iiNet DNS issue and had a holiday from GAF yesterday. Woke up early and thought I might see if GAF is back. I start with AusGAF and discover Danoss is banned, apparently for racist comments made while complaining about stereotyping (still trying to figure out what happened there) and an excessive level of hate went down yesterday.

What happened to you, AusGAF?

I didnt even post here yesterday during the Great Anger Morning, so I want it on record that Relentless Negativity is completely RandomVince Independent.

So yesterday's games couldn't have worked out better for the Swans. Win today and beat Hawthorn next week and we win the minor premiership :D

Beating the Hawks is by no means a certainty. But Sydney have certainly flown in under the radar this year. Deserve to be on top at least.

Do they bother to ship their games on sale?

You've changed. The old unmarried reptile would have made a big banner etc haha. Have LOGS dropped the ball pricing wise lately, haven't seen many posts.

Interesting story, I had managed to avoid it long enough. Curious to see how it will all end.

LOGS just became slightly more expensive than Zavvi and spread their market offerings into nick nacks, posters, tshirts, toys, etc. They do have the odd good deal but they aren't as forthcoming with it, I usually have to spend more time than I would like digging around. Most stuff has already been cheaper elsewhere with a lot of great local deals, like Harvey Norman, lately. This issue isn't just isolated to LOGS, most startups offer great initial prices and then work their way up once they have a dedicated userbase/mailing list. You see this with a lot of new pubs/clubs. I expected it to happen to GMG but to my great satisfaction it hasn't!

I will offer my first and only subjective opinion on the whole Assange affair as I have been careful not to take one side or the other in such a ban happy forum such as this.
In the future I shall be using this event in history to teach my son that you don't fuck two women at the same time. Not only is it really rude but you will end up having your life ruined.
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned.

Do they bother to ship their games on sale?
20+ orders later I still haven't had a bad experience. I understand some people here have and as such I don't always offer them up as the place to frequent but when they have good deals I think it worthwhile to refer people to them.

I will offer my first and only subjective opinion on the whole Assange affair as I have been careful not to take one side or the other in such a ban happy forum such as this.
In the future I shall be using this event in history to teach my son that you don't fuck two women at the same time. Not only is it really rude but you will end up having your life ruined.
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned.

Also maybe use a condom :p

Yagharek

The thing with Assange wasnt that either of them were angry or charging him with anything. They simply walked into a station and asked about how they could go about demanding him to get an std check. Neither of them claimed assault - the police trumped up that charge out of thin air.

In the real world, here is what could have/should have happened:

1. Women find out he has slept with both of them
2. Women both get std checks as a baseline
3. Assange gets an std check
3a. If assange comes back clean, women can be happy and move on
3b. If assange has something, women proceed with 3-6 monthly tests to ensure nothing was transmitted
4a. Life has moved on
4b. i) If it's serious, women can consider charges/civil proceedings for costs
4b. ii) If it's not serious, women get treatment and life moves on
5a. Life still moving on
5b i) Women get costs
5b ii) Life still moving on

Instead, thanks to the stupid corrupt Swedish police we get this:

1. Assange asks to go to England, Sweden say yes go ahead.
2. Assange in England finds out Swedes arrest him in absentia
3. Sweden applies for extradition; Assange appeals
4. Appeals fail, England put him under house arrest
5. Assange seeks Asylum in Ecuador embassy
6. England raids embassy; Assange sent to Sweden
7. Sweden sends him to USA
8. Assange charged with espionage; vanishes off the surface of the Earth

Also maybe use a condom :p
Or get tested for STD's every 6 months if you get around! And if someone asks you can break out the paperwork proof! If out of date just head down to the nearest free clinic, easy!

The thing with Assange wasnt that either of them were angry or charging him with anything. They simply walked into a station and asked about how they could go about demanding him to get an std check. Neither of them claimed assault - the police trumped up that charge out of thin air.
In which case they would not require a lawyer that refuses to say as much as that.

Could be one of several situations;
a) they want some payback
b) they want some money
c) they are being forced to follow a script in order to get him in jail
d) felt like a bit of a) earlier but now have realised how fucking insane the whole thing has gotten but situation c) has occurred and they don't feel like turning up in a gutter after 'accidentally overdosing on sleeping pills (or whatever the flavour of the month is for CIA agents, I don't follow their tweets so I have no idea)'.

LOGS just became slightly more expensive than Zavvi and spread their market offerings into nick nacks, posters, tshirts, toys, etc. They do have the odd good deal but they aren't as forthcoming with it, I usually have to spend more time than I would like digging around. Most stuff has already been cheaper elsewhere with a lot of great local deals, like Harvey Norman, lately. This issue isn't just isolated to LOGS, most startups offer great initial prices and then work their way up once they have a dedicated userbase/mailing list. You see this with a lot of new pubs/clubs. I expected it to happen to GMG but to my great satisfaction it hasn't!

Yeah thats true. Still remember a new bar opened up just near me. $3 fat yaks, free pool, $7 steaks. 6 months later, no fat yak, no pool, $15 steaks. Stopped going. Haven't bought from LOGS in ages.

I've had a good run with zavvi, though every order I worry after all the bad stuff I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom