• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been partial to the idea of Penfold, but my wife isn't quite so keen unless its a name for a jack russell.

Dangermouse it is then.
I just wonder if that's just a touch too British. It has to go with my last name after all.

3078A481-CE3F-4C64-AB83-783536362760-3871-000009748AD1C8B6.jpg

Don't take suggestions! Just bounce shit off your wife for the next 6 months and something will eventually settle into your brain as the name he has already taken on, even if you initially discarded it! I had great designs for my son's name before stumbling upon Oliver, which is the name of an old friend of mine, and it was just it.

Guybrush.
We've got some names floating around and may even choose one eventually, but we're as likely as not to change our minds when we see our son in person for the first time.

I've never actually played any of the Monkey Island games. I imagine they're like Leisure Suit Larry, just with fewer dirty jokes.

Conal
Lucien
Vidia
Redmond
Lucien, unfortunately, is a name that only sounds manly in French, just like how the name Angel sounds totally boss in Spanish, but a bit wimpy in English. I veto any names ending in the letter 'a' for just this very reason, but in reverse, so Vidia is out. Lucius and Vidal, on the other hand, are manly, but only the latter is easy to say in Spanish.

Redmond sounds like the name of a World War 2 marine, but again, hard to pronounce with Spanish phonemes.

See Vidia. All my family overseas will hear the. 'a' at the end and ask why I gave my son a girls' name.

It'll be too hard to pronounce in Spanish. Tee-row-ney is how it'd come out.

Also, Tyrone is the name of a big guy. I don't know that this'll necessarily be the case for him.

Lucien, unfortunately, is a name that only sounds manly in French, just like how the name Angel sounds totally boss in Spanish, but a bit wimpy in English. I veto any names ending in the letter 'a' for just this very reason, but in reverse, so Vidia is out. Lucius and Vidal, on the other hand, are manly, but only the latter is easy to say in Spanish.

Call him Angel! Its boss enough in Spanish to make up for anything in English (I don't think it sounds wimpy, though it'd be pretty bogan if it was a girl). If kids pick on him you can show them Dexter. But yeah, Angel is cool. The only other Spanish name I can think of is Jesus. (Do you and your wife speak teh Español?)

How about Jesus? That'll go down well in Australia!

Also:
  • Jambo: Great to hear she's OK.
  • VKS: Congrats!
  • Jintor: Shit man, hopefully things'll work themselves out soon.
Did I miss any important stuff there?

Edit: Huh. I didn't see Shan suggest Jesus as well -- was that a ninja edit or did I just scan?

Call him Angel! Its boss enough in Spanish to make up for anything in English (I don't think it sounds wimpy, though it'd be pretty bogan if it was a girl). If kids pick on him you can show them Dexter. But yeah, Angel is cool. The only other Spanish name I can think of is Jesus. (Do you and your wife speak teh Español?)
I do, and my wife tries to. We're trying to pick a name that sounds good in both languages.

Unfortunately, by the time he's school aged, Dexter will be this old-arse show that got cancelled years ago.

Spanish? Then call him Jesus! Never gets old!
If I did that, I may as well call him Josemaría, Santiago, Benedicto, Santos, Isaías, Elías, Moisés or something equally hyper-devout. It marks him as a religious man even if he turns out to be nothing of the sort.

Or Hector.
I like Hector, but my wife doesn't :/

How about Gustavo?

images
My name was very nearly Gustavo Enrique, but my Dad vetoed it. Thinking about it, I'm glad he did. I don't think I would have liked going through life as Gus.

Ironically, this is really hard to pronounce properly if you're using Spanish phonemes. It comes out as ess-pee-dhee.

There is too, right at the end!
Es-pan-ich. In-glitch.

En Español (o, para ser más específico, Castellano) hay varias formas de enunciar fonemas como el "sh" de Ingles que nunca son expresadas en forma escrita. Así como el 'd' del Castellano es usado en la palabra 'the' en Ingles pero no es escribido en distinta forma al 'th' de 'thank', el 'sh' de Ingles no es distinguida a la letra 'ch'.

Link

Carlos

VKS Jnr

Diego

Emilio

Hermano

Javier

Joaquin

Leonardo

Leon

Salvador

This is fun!
Cousin.

I'm named after my Dad. Technically, that'd make him VKS the Third.

I like Diego.

Makes me think of The Mighty Ducks.

Makes him sound like a monk.

I like Javier, but it's easy to misspell / mispronounce in English.

That goes double for Joaquin.

Leonardo is good.

So is Leon.

Salvador is waaaay religious. On a par with Jesús.
Garcia. As long as his middle name is also Fucking.

So what if it ends in an A
Garcia is a surname.
Apparently I'm pregnant. Which one of you was it then?
Might've been me. We hadn't been trying that long, so apparently I'm super fertile.

Yagharek

Oh yay, Wii U press event in NYC on September 13. Which means we will likely find out our local details on the 14th - being a Friday, which is typical of Nintendo Australia news updates.

Price, launch date and lineup details I bet.

Oh yay, Wii U press event in NYC on September 13. Which means we will likely find out our local details on the 14th - being a Friday, which is typical of Nintendo Australia news updates.

Price, launch date and lineup details I bet.

Do we have any idea about the Aussie price?

How much did the Wii/360 cost at launch?

Jintor

VKS, is the deal with the religious names more what the extended family will think? Because my birth name is both Irish and a Saint and that hasn't done shit to my religionbrain.

jambo

299US would be a $50 increase over the Wii's launch so in that case I'd expect 499AUD.

3DS XL is only $50 more in Australia, so I can't see Nintendo bumping it up by $200, especially with the government looking in to software and hardware pricing discrepancies in Australia.

I expect $299 US and $399 AUD

Also, VKS you have to use "wait for it" as your son's middle name.
Poor kid's already got two surnames. Filling out forms will take an age!

Congtars!

Raul - Counsel of the wolf

Also:

Raul-Julia.jpg
I like Raul, but I just know some idiot is going to call him Rawl every other week because, well, Queensland.

VKS, is the deal with the religious names more what the extended family will think? Because my birth name is both Irish and a Saint and that hasn't done shit to my religionbrain.
You got it. I don't mind religious names per se, but names that are literally articles or statements of faith, I'd prefer to keep away from. Faith is a way of life in Latin America and people can and do take it to extremes. Think the religiosity and piety of the deepest, Republican-votingest parts of the US Bible Belt, make them speak Spanish and take away the balancing force of the Democrats and you basically get my family background.

Having a religious name that is relatively uncommon (like Moisés) or of special religious significance (like Jesús) puts people in mind of matters of faith. As I'm not myself especially religious but grew up going to church with, know and am related to people who are, I try to avoid conversations about things like my churchgoing habits or faith because they're always super awkward.

Avoiding names that bring these things up is best, I think.

Spanish? Then call him Jesus! Never gets old!
that's four votes for Jesus on my count! Gaf has spoken!
I do, and my wife tries to. We're trying to pick a name that sounds good in both languages.

Unfortunately, by the time he's school aged, Dexter will be this old-arse show that got cancelled years ago.
Man that's depressing.
Hi five for Irish names! Mine means 'small but wise'.

It's pretty hard to find many names with non religious origins.
299US would be a $50 increase over the Wii's launch so in that case I'd expect 499AUD.
that's like four weeks pay:(((((( if it's any more than $400 I won't bite.

Yagharek

Do we have any idea about the Aussie price?

How much did the Wii/360 cost at launch?

US launches:
360: $399/$299 (20G/Tard)
PS3: $599 (60G BC model)
Wii: $249

Aus launches:
360: $649/$499 (20G/Tard)
PS3: $999 (only one model available at launch)
Wii: $399

Keep in mind Aus prices include 10% GST, US prices don't include sales tax, and the AUD was worth 72 US cents at 360 launch and 79 US cents at PS3 launch and about 77 US cents at Wii launch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Keep in mind Aus prices include 10% GST, US prices don't include sales tax, and the AUD was worth 72 US cents at 360 launch and 79 US cents at PS3 launch and about 77 US cents at Wii launch.

Being Nintendo I assume US/AUD will matter less than YEN/AUD. I just hope it's priced reasonably. Wishful thinking given the parties involved and this country, but ehhh. Surprise me for once, Nintendo.

US launches:
360: $399/$299 (20G/Tard)
PS3: $599 (60G BC model)
Wii: $249

Aus launches:
360: $649/$499 (20G/Tard)
PS3: $999 (only one model available at launch)
Wii: $399

Jesus, I paid $650 for my 360 on launch?

I might get one at launch if it's below $400, not much is really tickling my fancy just yet, except for Pikmin 3.

I bought the pre-release VIP pack for the 360. Had a HDD, controller and Perfect Dark Zero for like 3 months before the AU launch :/

And then PD0 was shit

:(

Yagharek

New Super Mario Bros U is going to be the most uninspired game released this year.

It will go down as a great 2D platform game. All the NSMB games to date have been great fun, NSMB Wii especially. The artstyle of some of the demo levels in NSMBU look inspired, even if the gameplay is what we expect.

Jesus, I paid $650 for my 360 on launch?

I might get one at launch if it's below $400, not much is really tickling my fancy just yet, except for Pikmin 3.

I got a PS3 and 360 and Wii at launch. Never again, just Wii U for me now.

New Super Duper Mario Bros: WiiU: Coins Attax

Cynicism is fair play if it wasnt 15 years between SMW and NSMB. Now it's only been 3 2D games in 6 years (NSMB in 06, Wii in 09, NSMB2 in 2012). NSMBU will make it 4 in 6 years.

Compare that to Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Halo - all of which do very little between entries and more sequels in a shorter space of time. If you don't like 2D Mario or platformers or Mario, be honest and say so, but don't put it down to unoriginality if you've not levelled the same accusations at other series that are far bigger offenders.

[/demounts from high horse onto a soapbox just in case]

I bought the pre-release VIP pack for the 360. Had a HDD, controller and Perfect Dark Zero for like 3 months before the AU launch :/

And then PD0 was shit

:(

Bought that too. $800 of the biggest waste of money Ive ever spent. The vip pack didnt have a hdd though. It was a controller and PD0. A faceplate too.

Preordering is the devil's work! Unless I do it, of course

It has its place for limited run niche games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom