• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that makes sense since I had a wireless controller with the console so I must have bought the bundle. That VIP card was a fucking waste, carried it in my wallet for like 3 years :/

Omikron

Cynicism is fair play if it wasnt 15 years between SMW and NSMB. Now it's only been 3 2D games in 6 years (NSMB in 06, Wii in 09, NSMB2 in 2012). NSMBU will make it 4 in 6 years.

Compare that to Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Halo - all of which do very little between entries and more sequels in a shorter space of time. If you don't like 2D Mario or platformers or Mario, be honest and say so, but don't put it down to unoriginality if you've not levelled the same accusations at other series that are far bigger offenders.

[/demounts from high horse onto a soapbox just in case]

I dunno, I quite enjoy playing SMB, even started playing it again recently after succumbing and purchasing a pad for the first time ever for my PC. It is the best platforming game I have played since SMW.

I find it hard to get excited over a game like NSMB. I played the first one and while it was enjoyable enough, it just didn't offer up enough actual new content, plus Mario himself felt strangely odd and sluggish for some reason.

Am I allowed to hold that opinion Vince? Wouldn't want to step on your Nintendo fan boy toes. ;)

Yagharek

You're allowed not to like the games. But the argument that there has been a glut of identical 2D Mario games in the past 6 years holds no water.

Oh that makes sense since I had a wireless controller with the console so I must have bought the bundle. That VIP card was a fucking waste, carried it in my wallet for like 3 years :/

It actually did come in handy. As a thanks for buying it, Microsoft gave you free access to this.

Yagharek

Not sure how you got that assumption out of me taking the piss out of the new games ridiculous coin mode(s).

It's more a reaction to the pathetic attempt at hits that various game journalists have been fishing for the past few weeks. Maybe not necessarily something you said.

BUT YOU WERE THINKING IT I KNOW

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So the plan was to grab Mario from the Heidelberg JB after my appointment tomorrow, but apparently they don't have it because they're closing down in a week or so. Ball sacks.

So instead I'm heading into the city.

/blog

Jintor

I am knee deep in corporate personhood theory and my brain is spinning in about eight different directions. I kind of understand what to argue but am having real trouble writing the stuff down.

Omikron

It's more a reaction to the pathetic attempt at hits that various game journalists have been fishing for the past few weeks. Maybe not necessarily something you said.

BUT YOU WERE THINKING IT I KNOW

Yeah I was totally thinking it.

I will put it this way, I have no interest in playing it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It will go down as a great 2D platform game. All the NSMB games to date have been great fun, NSMB Wii especially. The artstyle of some of the demo levels in NSMBU look inspired, even if the gameplay is what we expect.

Oh yeah it'll be fun for sure, it just won't be anything new at all.

Look at this level; looks like a fan game.

Iiq3Z.jpg

Green Man Gaming has it cheap and there's a discount voucher floating around.

I saw that, but thought there might be something better going around!

I was hoping they'd have a $34 deal like other new release PC games have been.

To offer something to this thread: I recommend everyone hit up Driver San Francisco. It's ridiculously fun, and seriously overlooked.

Who cares! Everyone cool will be playing the amazing looking Rayman anyway. Keep Ubisofy onside Ninty, their WiiU stuff looks really promising.

Also yes San Fran was the best arcade racer this generation. Insane amounts of fun. Was a dollar yesterday on Uplay.

Yagharek

Im not a fan of rayman. Controlling him feels unwieldy. Games look beautiful though.

Probably going to get NSMB, Pikmin, Zombiu and P-100.

commissar

Does anyone know if the Wii U screen controller will have a long charging cable?

Battery life has killed my interest in both handhelds and the Wii U so far :/

edit:
and rayman seems more about chaotic multiplayer (and awesome style) than skillful platforming to me anyway. Much like LBP the controls become less important.

also hello ausgaf

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Does anyone know if the Wii U screen controller will have a long charging cable?

edit:
and rayman seems more about chaotic multiplayer (and awesome style) than skillful platforming to me anyway. Much like LBP the controls become less important.

also hello ausgaf

Wii U GamePad is recharged by Micro USB I'm pretty sure.

jambo

also hello ausgaf

It's just a standard USB cable, so a standard USB extension should work.

also hello

Card Boy

Banned
I just got Fishponded with my 4000 Microsoft Points, it took them 2 weeks to tell me they ran out and don't know when they will get more. I got my money back though.

senahorse

So I have decided to use some of our commonwealth bank awards points to get a couple of XL packs from Target. I want to get a Mario game, which one is probably the better entry, 3D land or NSMB?

So I have decided to use some of our commonwealth bank awards points to get a couple of XL packs from Target. I want to get a Mario game, which one is probably the better entry, 3D land or NSMB?

Of the two, 3D Land is the fresher, more interesting take on the series.

Choc

Banned
Purchase Dark Souls PC

install Dark Souls PC

start activation process

Release date 24/08 12am US Time

THIS GENERATION FOR FUCK SAKE

Yagharek

Purchase Dark Souls PC

install Dark Souls PC

start activation process

Release date 24/08 12am US Time

THIS GENERATION FOR FUCK SAKE

Its not this generation. MS threatened to bring down a massive pile of shit on any stores that street broke shit like halo 2 back in the day.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stupid computer. Picked up a 360 pad and it kept crashing games, randomly becoming unresponsive. Turns out he 360 driver installation somehow dug up otherwise uinstalled MotionJoy drivers, trying to hybridise the two.

Computer logic.

US launches:
360: $399/$299 (20G/Tard)
PS3: $599 (60G BC model)
Wii: $249

Aus launches:
360: $649/$499 (20G/Tard)
PS3: $999 (only one model available at launch)
Wii: $399

Keep in mind Aus prices include 10% GST, US prices don't include sales tax, and the AUD was worth 72 US cents at 360 launch and 79 US cents at PS3 launch and about 77 US cents at Wii launch.

Less then $400 and I'll consider it. Though only if there are glowing reviews.

So the plan was to grab Mario from the Heidelberg JB after my appointment tomorrow, but apparently they don't have it because they're closing down in a week or so. Ball sacks.

So instead I'm heading into the city.

/blog

I feel your pain. Mines in transit. I hate waiting.

3d land is great. Actually I'm selling my copy if your interested.

You'd expect that during that time, the Ferret struggled for an hour of two until it exhausted itself completely, fell asleep for a couple of hours and then restarted the attack on the scrotum with renewed vigor when it realised exactly where it was.

Yagharek

So, a Red 3DSXL is mine tomorrow, doing a trade deal with NSMB2 to get it. Works out at a decent price in any case.

Worth it for a decent form factor and at least ambassador status carries over.

I think Ive learnt a valuable lesson for future nintendo handhelds, but at the same time I hope they have too. In any case, I got to play Ocarina of Time and complete it so thats a good thing.

Less then $400 and I'll consider it. Though only if there are glowing reviews.

I'm thinking $500 is my limit, assuming it has a pack in game and wiimote/nunchuk included in the box. Since the Dreamcast launch I've gone and spent woeful amounts of money on hardware launches; its not something I'm proud of.

That said, this is my only console for the coming generation, so I may as well jump in headfirst, regardless of the sandbars lurking beneath the waves. I think I'm going to apply the following general purchase policy however (assuming the games are good and appealing to me):

* New Nintendo IP games buy day 1
* Third party ports at Zavvi prices
* New third party IP/exclusives based on GAF impressions, good and bad
* Third party niche games from Treasure/Platinum/Grasshopper etc on Day Fucking One

(Incidentally, Batman Arkham City on Wii U has all the content on the disc, no DLC codes. So I might grab that one cheap and second hand seeing as the local distributor/PR people are rude. Or import from Zavvi).

Really, I will be happy to see what else from the likes of the Mario Galaxy/Skyward Sword teams comes out. They were the three best games this gen for me, so much to do and see and so many new ideas in them it was like being spoilt over and over and over again.

Yagharek

"...contestants put live ferrets inside their trousers; the winner is the one who is the last to release the animals. The world record is five hours and thirty minutes."

O_O

I'd say by definition, the winner is the one who lets them out first and keeps their scrotum intact.

midonnay

I keeel u at chess ._.

"...contestants put live ferrets inside their trousers; the winner is the one who is the last to release the animals. The world record is five hours and thirty minutes."

O_O

After 5 hours, the critter's prob settled down and nesting in the groin area

Congrats on the kid vks

As for child names....

Maybe some normal for the first name then geek out on the middle name

Eg: Joseph miyamoto squirrel

Rezbit

$400 + pack in game (like Wii Sports) + another sneaky game (like Rayman I got with 3DS) would do it for me in terms of Wii U at launch.

Also how about Julio?

Yagharek

$400 + pack in game (like Wii Sports) + another sneaky game (like Rayman I got with 3DS) would do it for me in terms of Wii U at launch.

Also how about Julio?

Every Nintendo console launch since 2006 has had launch day bonus games bundled in by retailers. 3DS had stuff like Ghost Recon or Rabbids, 3DSXL has NSMB2 and MK7 and others. Wii had Super Monkey Ball and/or Red Steel bundled, plus lots of other bundles when big name games came out and the console was still $399. DSLite had bundles with Nintendogs/Brain Training too.

I'm expecting whatever the price of the system, it will be common to see it come with a free game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wii U RRP for say $450, and a free copy of ZombiU or Rayman from places like Target and JB. If Nintendo Land is a pack in game, that will be a pretty impressive deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom