• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
I had a pregnant neighbour who vomited awfully their whole pregnancy. I could hear it at night and when it was quiet....

Omikron

A0yTxl4CYAE2iWb.jpg:large

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone here know if Kmart, Good Guys and Harvey Norman have 3DSXL deals incoming?

Haven't heard anything, new Kmart catalog is usually out today or tomorrow though. They've been pretty shit for gaming stuff for a while though.

Omikron

Your next Prime Minister, ladies and gentlemen. Fucking clown.

It actually amazes me that 34% of kids are in private education*. Who knew.

*That is provided that Abbott's factoid was correct.

Edit: Yup http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...e=Summary&prodno=4221.0&issue=2011&num=&view=

In 2011 the split of students between government and non-government schools was 65.4% and 34.6% respectively and these figures reinforce the long-term drift of students from government schools to non-government schools. For 2001 the split was 69.0% and 31.0% respectively.

r1chard

Well played, Hobart, for putting on an awesome five days for PyCon AU. It will be a little saddening to go home today. I will be carrying a bottle of Lark's finest though, so I can be cheered by that :)

VOOK

Oh but if Jett, Breeyanah, Decklyn and Ebonni all go to The Upstarts Private School for Rich Bogans they'll all be smarts like. You know, like the one on 60 minutes.

So the NRL has obtained a grand total of fuck all from the new broadcasting deal. Still only one live game a week on free-to-air and no commitment on expansion.

It seems like they were chasing the $1b mark, and getting rid of 9 and Fox's first and last bidding rights so hard they didn't actually get what would be best for the game.

Two hours of NRL content daily on Channel 94 (that's GEM right?) is interesting. I guess it means replays which would be alright.

Otherwise a bucketload of money with no real vision for the future.

VOOK

So the NRL has obtained a grand total of fuck all from the new broadcasting deal. Still only one live game a week on free-to-air and no commitment on expansion.

It seems like they were chasing the $1b mark, and getting rid of 9 and Fox's first and last bidding rights so hard they didn't actually get what would be best for the game.

Two hours of NRL content daily on Channel 94 (that's GEM right?) is interesting. I guess it means replays which would be alright.

Otherwise a bucketload of money with no real vision for the future.

Nope that's the shitty channel with no bitrate and tons of physic shit.

What the fuck does that even mean? Did he go to private or public school? The answer will determine where my son goes.

Well played, Hobart, for putting on an awesome five days for PyCon AU. It will be a little saddening to go home today. I will be carrying a bottle of Lark's finest though, so I can be cheered by that :)
Did you take any apples with you?

i assume thats exactly what shell be doing
hehe
were you not allowed to tell your internet friends untill now :(
congrats
ausbabygaf grows
You wait until 12 weeks to make sure everything is still going okay.

hamchan

What the fuck does that even mean? Did he go to private or public school? The answer will determine where my son goes.

St. Ignatius, Riverview. Damn rich school. He's actually a very educated man and is a Rhodes Scholar, which tells us that even the most educated idiot is still an idiot.

At least politics here aren't as bad as in the states.

St. Ignatius, Riverview. Damn rich school. He's actually a very educated man and is a Rhodes Scholar, which tells us that even the most educated idiot is still an idiot.

Awesome, the wife can't argue with that! Public school all the way like his dad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Where's a nice place to move? Preferably one where only a very small percentage of the population, none of which in positions of power and leadership, are complete and utter morons.

I'm thinking the moon. Or Mars. Curiosity seems pretty smart.

Omikron

Only ~20k per annum. No problem.

http://www.riverview.nsw.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=219

Barring anything dramatic, my son will be public system educated. Certainly didn't hurt me. That said, largely private education is about connections. Read into that what you will.

There is a dude that has been staring across the library at me for a good ten minutes. I'm hoping he's actually one of those people who can sleep with their eyes open or something;.; it's hard to concentrate.
Awesome, the wife can't argue with that! Public school all the way like his dad.
public schools are the best. Still the potential for great success with none of the costs or snobby friends parents to deal with!
Also KFC potato and gravy.
hey, and I know just the place to get it. ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, private school connections are important if you want your kid to have any chance of joining the PALluminati.

Also, drugs.

senahorse

There's a great little coastal town about 500km's north of Brisbane called 1770 (named because it was the second landing by James Cook), beautiful place and the locals are really nice.

Rezbit

Unfortunately the whole system is rooted at the moment. I was public all the way when I started learning to be a teacher, now I would send kids private simply because of the absolute shambles the public system is in. Blame the government.

Why's that rez?
There's a great little coastal town about 500km's north of Brisbane called 1770 (named because it was the second landing by James Cook), beautiful place and the locals are really nice.
:O I love that place!!!! Drove up there a couple of years back. Beautiful. Did you go on the bus-boat thing, or snorkeling?

Deeku

There is a dude that has been staring across the library at me for a good ten minutes. I'm hoping he's actually one of those people who can sleep with their eyes open or something;.; it's hard to concentrate.
lol, he's probably just looking at something else in your direction, or staring into space...and you're in the way!

senahorse

:O I love that place!!!! Drove up there a couple of years back. Beautiful. Did you go on the bus-boat thing, or snorkeling?

We went on a kayak fishing/adventure there a couple of years ago (hey maybe I saw you there :p)after our kayak trip around the Whitsundays was called off due to weather concerns. We actually found the place by accident and ending up staying there for a week paddling around the beautiful waters and camping at various places, after getting the shits with sandflies we stayed a few days at Mantra with a spa in the bedroom :D.

Didn't make it on any of the tour things but I am keen to go there again, it's so peaceful and relaxing.

hamchan

I would expect any child of mine to be smart enough to get into a top 10 selective school and wouldn't need to go to private school.

Eh learning needs to be supported outside the classroom in order for it to sink into the kid properly. Good parenting will go a long way in addition to plenty of engaging stuff going on at the school.

Rezbit

I would expect any child of mine to be smart enough to get into a top 10 selective school and wouldn't need to go to private school.

In my humble this is honestly part of the problem. It's essentially fueling elitist attitudes in public schools, but only certain ones. The little school down the road struggling for numbers can go and get stuffed for all people care, because it doesn't have some amazing reputation. Also, the mandatory testing is such a complete load of wank. No wonder some schools are cheating when results are tied to funding. Lastly the new national curriculum stinks it up hard. Yeah, I can't get out of teaching quick enough hah.

markot

Banned
Well, soon only po folk will be sending their kids to public schools. Government is encouraging private health and education.

Deeku

I'll be sending my kids to private so they can have at least the same, or better, opportunities as I did.

No after school tutoring though, stuff that! I will encourage more sports and music!

Omikron

I'll be sending my kids to private so they can have at least the same, or better, opportunities as I did.

No after school tutoring though, stuff that! I will encourage more sports and music!

Would you being educated in a public system prevented you from achieving your goal of attendance to a particular university or similar?

Deeku

Would you being educated in a public system prevented you from achieving your goal of attendance to a particular university or similar?
Impossible to say.

I don't think being public school educated would lessen your chances of attending certain universities, though.

Yagharek

Gee whiz, I thought only smart people went to Rhodes.

Maybe the key is to study a non-subject like theology where any made up old rubbish can get good marks.

Jintor

lol, he's probably just looking at something else in your direction, or staring into space...and you're in the way!

Could be that Shan's super pretty.

I'm just sayin' dude

In my humble this is honestly part of the problem. It's essentially fueling elitist attitudes in public schools, but only certain ones. The little school down the road struggling for numbers can go and get stuffed for all people care, because it doesn't have some amazing reputation. Also, the mandatory testing is such a complete load of wank. No wonder some schools are cheating when results are tied to funding. Lastly the new national curriculum stinks it up hard. Yeah, I can't get out of teaching quick enough hah.

What, the selective program as a whole, or?

I think a kid's friends are the biggest factor influencing how well they do at school. I'd go private (at least for high school) for the sake of increasing the proportion of their potential friend pool that plan to go to uni.

We're doing the My Lai massacre today. I don't think I've ever heard audible sobbing in a lecture before. Some of the footage was pretty disturbing. I wasn't really prepared to see kids getting shot.
I'm pretty sure that was the case. I know I've done it a few times. Still felt a bit unnerving.

magenta

I think a kid's friends are the biggest factor influencing how well they do at school. I'd go private (at least for high school) for the sake of increasing the proportion of their potential friend pool that plan to go to uni.

I agree, we are greatly influence by the people around us. It is the same line of thinking of why my parents sent to a private school, I didn't really have a say in the matter.

hamchan

How does this make a difference?

If the kid is smart, they will succeed no matter the school more than likely.

It's not all about succeeding but I know selective schools are very good, perhaps the best environments for learning without paying a crapload of money. Also yeah connections to people is important too. I know like, 60% of my school year went to UNSW, 35% to USYD and the other 5% to UTS or other Unis, and there's a good chance some of them will be very successful in the future. Doesn't hurt to know them.

Though if I also happen to be rich i'll probably try and get my kid into Sydney Grammar.

Also when I think of expectations I don't think making a good high school and then good Uni is a hard expectation ><. Any kid of mine should be at least equal or better than me!!!

Jintor

I would guess that as far as being in an environment which fosters learning, being in a school where people actually want to learn (generally speaking selective schools, etc) would be a way better option than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom