• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

Though if I also happen to be rich i'll probably try and get my kid into Sydney Grammar.
Why Grammar?

Well, I am trying to work out what the opportunities are you speak of I guess.
More learning opportunities I guess. I'm probably making this up, but I assume that private schools, in general, have a wider variety of stuff to engage/develop well rounded kids...or something.

I'm not sure you can ever be prepared for seeing kids getting shot.
It would have at least been nice to have some warning, rather than "exam's over! lets watch a video!" soldiers marching, guys being interviewed, rolling hills and paddocks, BAM - close up of intestines hanging out.

Also when I think of expectations I don't think making a good high school and then good Uni is a hard expectation ><. Any kid of mine should be at least equal or better than me!!!

I'd want my kids to go to a selective school too, though my high school wasn't one and was one of the best performing schools in the state (well, it was the year I graduated). Actually what I'd really prefer is a bilingual school, but I'm pretty sure those are mostly private.

As a side note, I wonder how much doing well in school carries through the generations. Or nerdiness, for that matter.

hamchan

Why Grammar?

More learning opportunities I guess. I'm probably making this up, but I assume that private schools, in general, have a wider variety of stuff to engage/develop well rounded kids...or something.

I think Grammar is similar to the school I went to except they have money ><

This is all happening so fast! You'll be posting baby pictures tomorrow at this rate!

If I have a boy I'd call him Tobias, because it is a freaking cool name. Or something 'British king' related. You can borrow it if you like ^^
I can't think of the name Tobias without thinking of Arrested Development. That, and Animorphs. Both good things.
Congrats vks! How about....Dunban?
Sorry I kept you waiting! This is the power of Teamwork Sharla! But we mustn't be careless!

Yagharek

I've always been partial to the idea of Penfold, but my wife isn't quite so keen unless its a name for a jack russell.

Dangermouse it is then.

Deeku

Yeah that sucks jint. Maybe a chance for early retirement? That's what my mum did anyway.

On a lighter note, animorphs was pretty great!

3DS XL is $210 at EBGames

Parliament question time is seriously the most amazing television ever.
Most depressing time you mean considering they are meant to be running the show. :(

I think a kid's friends are the biggest factor influencing how well they do at school.
I feel that way in regards to high school and primary but not Uni. I really REALLY benefited from moving away for Uni and melding with so many more cultures and societal groups than what I was exposed to through my original friendship group. Staying in the same, closed off group of mates from pre-school through to your 30's is a good way to narrow your world view. For primary/high school I want my son to go where he will be comfortable and be able to increase his confidence so that he can venture out into the world once he hits 18.

Any kid of mine should be at least equal or better than me!!!
:/

I'm happy just to raise a creature that is a moral, upstanding citizen of our society. Don't give a fuck what he does with himself really as long as he is good hearted.

Hey Aus Gaf! Didnt realise you guys had your own thread otherwise I would have just posted this in here any input would be awesome!
Howdy! You will do fine for bar work. I'm sure over there in the UK there would be some place that helps resettle people in Australia. Just take advice from official looking places, some of the shifty ones can really fuck you over as they are a scam so look at what governmental options are available.

Melbourne is awesome as fuck. LOTS of great bands come through, LOTS of awesome venues, LOTS of awesome alcohol to drink! Also I hate footy but it is more of a social experience, just like how in America people love Baseball but actually find it boring as batshit but is a good chance to catch up with people and get shitfaced.

Just found out that we're having a boy!

I need name suggestions, people!
Don't take suggestions! Just bounce shit off your wife for the next 6 months and something will eventually settle into your brain as the name he has already taken on, even if you initially discarded it! I had great designs for my son's name before stumbling upon Oliver, which is the name of an old friend of mine, and it was just it.

Guybrush.

Isn't that a girls' name?
Maybe.

Dad just got retrenched :/
Ah shit that sucks, another bystander taken out by the current fashion of cutting public jobs, fucking sucks. Can't wait until there is no one left to get any shit done genius'!

senahorse

I'm happy just to raise a creature that is a moral, upstanding citizen of our society. Don't give a fuck what he does with himself really as long as he is good hearted.

You're a good dad :D

So many parents put incredible amounts of pressure on their kids to do well in high school when in reality it's not that important in the grand scheme of things, there's always other options.

I'm kind of torn on 3DS XL. I want one, but I'm thinking I might hold off for a good bundle deal, and then trade the old one in towards wii u stuff.

I was going to get one, but figured I'd be better off just putting the money aside towards Wii U. XL looks great but there's nothing wrong with my launch 3DS (and it's a better colour than any of the ones XL's available in) so better off covering like half the Wii U cost instead of buying something that serves no functional benefit over what I already have.

Wow, where did that coupon come from?
People who bought NSMB2 at EBGames might have been given them apparently. Stores probably have a stack under the counter going by previous similar deals. I really should go into my local and raid their pre-order DLC cards at some point, most of them don't care about them.

I feel that way in regards to high school and primary but not Uni. I really REALLY benefited from moving away for Uni and melding with so many more cultures and societal groups than what I was exposed to through my original friendship group. Staying in the same, closed off group of mates from pre-school through to your 30's is a good way to narrow your world view. For primary/high school I want my son to go where he will be comfortable and be able to increase his confidence so that he can venture out into the world once he hits 18.

I suggest to you (and everyone!!!!) that you start up a fund so you can send him (if he wants to) on exchange over a gap year. It was such an amazing, eye opening experience for me. I grew up a lot, and surely gained a better understanding of the way the world worked. I don't know if you'd be keen to part with him for three/six/twelve months, but its really something wonderful.

Jintor

Yeah that sucks jint. Maybe a chance for early retirement? That's what my mum did anyway.

Mum already got retrenched like a decade ago... and as I understand it half of dad's retrenchment crap is tied up in, i don't know, shares that aren't his or some bullshit. It's not an optimal situation. Still, 'snot like we'll starve or anything.

Yagharek

People who bought NSMB2 at EBGames might have been given them apparently. Stores probably have a stack under the counter going by previous similar deals. I really should go into my local and raid their pre-order DLC cards at some point, most of them don't care about them.

I didnt get one! ><

I suggest to you (and everyone!!!!) that you start up a fund so you can send him (if he wants to) on exchange over a gap year. It was such an amazing, eye opening experience for me. I grew up a lot, and surely gained a better understanding of the way the world worked. I don't know if you'd be keen to part with him for three/six/twelve months, but its really something wonderful.

I've already been talking about sending him to boarding school ;)

But seriously that is a great idea indeed. My wife was always devastated that her parents couldn't afford to send her on exchange to Italy after she broke her back for 18 months studying and working towards it. She even did the exact classes they want so that she could go before they told her they wouldn't let her only a week before the applications closed. Still holds a grudge.
I hold a grudge against my parents for moving me from the comic book/video game nirvana of Adelaide out into the fucking middle of nowhere.

Deeku

Mum already got retrenched like a decade ago... and as I understand it half of dad's retrenchment crap is tied up in, i don't know, shares that aren't his or some bullshit. It's not an optimal situation. Still, 'snot like we'll starve or anything.
Yeah, mum had some weird shares issues too, and then tax issues on those shares issues like 3 years later lol. It's all cuz of them stupid people in HR!

shit-tyrone-get-it-together.jpg

?

EDIT: Tyrone with an Australian accent would be the worst.

Yagharek

Is it ironic that good game reviewed NSMB2 citing lack of originality like every other reviewer?

edit: ooh, now theyre discussing philosophical implications of a smartphone game about dots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom