• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, bus came!

Thanks to everyone who came tonight. It was pretty great to meet you all and stuff. Now, on to board games tomorrow...

Yea thanks for the night brisgaf. Fantastic meeting you all, had an awesome night. Looking forward to board games tomorrow night as well.

Choc

Banned
Hey jint, how is theatrhythm?

I played the demo but its too hard for me on anything above the bottom difficulty. :/

I didnt like FF8 back in the day, but holy balls did they include the best track from it.

Hey now!

Anyway, its one of those words I'm trying to train myself not to use in public, like fuck. It's alright I guess in private context, amongst friends etc but yeah ...

woah i never say that word in public

midonnay

Content devaluation, unless you'd PREFER to be even more nickled and dimed than this title already is.

how is the content devalued..... they're using music taken from their library with gameplay that isn't really that original. Its not like they have to pay exorbitant licensing fees like Guitar hero.

Its attraction purely seems nostalgic :/

Gazunta

BrisGAF is the best GAF. Thanks everyone who was there! Boo urns everyone who wasn't! I had fun and you kids are tops.

Clipper wins man of the match.

9EhH1.jpg

LtR: Kritz, Clipper, VSK, VSK's wife, CrazedProfessional, Shan, Rlan, Gazunta, Marsh.

WSMHC.jpg

And Ausgaf VII : Close enough.
mApgT.jpg

Oh, yeah: cute checkout chick who actually engaged me in conversation at that EB.

I wonder if it was the suit.

Suits are indeed very sexy.

Sorry we can't be there. Just got home and put my very ill better half to bed. Each of you have one for me, will you?

Don't worry about it. Tell the missus I hope she's feeling better soon. She really soldiered through ^^

Yeah, but your name doesn't start with a V, so it seems unlikely.

PLUS you were in the Hills district right? I went to school around the Epping area, so a little whiles east.

Nah, I lived in Bundeena :D But it would have been cool if we did know each other...

Shamelessly stolen from Twitter
AwzCZ01CEAI348a.jpg

Pro-tip for AusGAF people:

Don't use the c-word on neogaf. Seems like it is now being enforced as a bannable offence.

I know none of you are foul mouthed, but just a friendly warning.
o_O
I wouldn't recommend using the c word anywhere. Taken that and 'rape' out of my teenager vocab well and truly now. No need for either word to be used. I have even cut right back on saying 'moist' so often too.

GAF had a blanket ban on swearing for a while when it got out of hand, as long as it has context and is nothing more than a 'shit' or 'fuck' and not directed at anyone I wouldn't expect a ban.

But yes, the c word shouldn't be used.

Thanks for your concern, everyone, but I'm OK.
Where are you situated? I've got relatives just south of Auckland and a few up Bay of Plenty, wonder if they felt it.

Out of curiosity what's your current job?
"works co-ordinator" is the title I signed up for but I think I am actually listed in the company as "admin assistant" so I will be making sure they officially change that to what the job description was when I applied for it. Basically somewhere between a receptionist and an operations manager, although I am involved in a lot higher level stuff too like contract negotiations and direct reporting to state managers. Strange role that was kinda thrown together at short notice hoping that shit would stick and the contract would somehow work.

Makes my previous jobs seem like a fucking dream, wish I appreciated them more.

There would only be 3 or 4 of us and I don't see anyone travelling here to join us. Also, I would probably chicken out at the last minute cause I am super shy in real life.
I'm tempted to head back to Adelaide with the family at some point. My old neighbour now has a massive bachelor pad we can stay at and it would be nice to show the wife and son where I grew up in the ye olde times.

Plus would love to sit on the beach in Glenelg again.

Omikron

Finally playing LA Noire. Game is trying hard and so far enjoyed more than I have disliked. But man, its production has super massive highs and such epic failures / bits the grind.

Screen tears all over the shop on transitions, sound is all weird depending on who you talk to (last guy was all echoy out in the open!), music just randomly cuts in and out at odd times.

Upsides are the facial animations and a player character that actually uses stairs correctly! Wahay!

Yagharek

I wouldn't recommend using the c word anywhere. Taken that and 'rape' out of my teenager vocab well and truly now. No need for either word to be used. I have even cut right back on saying 'moist' so often too.

GAF had a blanket ban on swearing for a while when it got out of hand, as long as it has context and is nothing more than a 'shit' or 'fuck' and not directed at anyone I wouldn't expect a ban.

But yes, the c word shouldn't be used..

All I will say is that there is a time and a place for every word.

Puns. Always a time for any word if you can make a Dad joke out of it.
EDIT: Oh actually I have used it a bit lately. To describe one or two women who have been the epitome of the word. Could have also used immoral or inhuman. I certainly don't use it lightly and it will only come out if it is a really big deal.

Game world is empty Omi, even worse than Mafia 2 somehow! At least Mafia 2 had some cool ambient stuff going on, LA Noire is just a waste of all that effort in regards to content.

Wellington, so near the midst of it. When on for nearly a minute. Your relatives would have felt it too.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7215025/Deep-7-0-earthquake-hits-New-Zealand

While there was no major damage or injuries reported, firefighters on a callout in Waverley, near Whanganui, reported seeing cracks in the town's main street and a few "skew-whiff'' chimneys, which the fire service said would be further assessed in the morning.
lol

Choc

Banned
so the quakes are getting scarily close to wellington where there is a massive fault line intersection.

Omikron

Game world is empty Omi, even worse than Mafia 2 somehow! At least Mafia 2 had some cool ambient stuff going on, LA Noire is just a waste of all that effort in regards to content

Yeah will agree with that, on my 1st case as a detective and I already don't want to drive all the fucking way across town. :S

Choc

Banned
LA Noire was a significantly different game before it turned into what it is

Rockstar saved it from oblivion but GTA'd it to do so

Jintor

how is the content devalued..... they're using music taken from their library with gameplay that isn't really that original. Its not like they have to pay exorbitant licensing fees like Guitar hero.

Its attraction purely seems nostalgic :/

I'm saying that if you expect to pay only 10-15 for theatrhythm, from my perspective, it's a symptom of the mobile app market's devaluation of games. (I would not, of course, have said no if it had been offered at that price).

Jintor

I'd go with "bastard" to be on the safe side. Everyone knows we use that affectionately, right? ...right?

Finished watching Firefly. Absolutely ace. Going to borrow Serenity off my friend when she gets back from the States.

You should all play Tribes Ascend. The Australian community is massive, I can hop on right now and get a full housed server. I'm nostalgia'ing from TF2 back in '09 where everything was golden and it was the best online game ever. I just love games with awesome Australian communities.

midonnay

Due to the influence of the catholic church in parts of french speaking Canada.... they substituted swear words with that of religious paraphernalia....

so I guess it could be something as simple as a word swap to get your willies off....

Terrible, terrible article. If GMG didn't link to it I never would have even heard of the site though I suppose.

Not every word needs to be a pejorative!
That is your prerogative!

Well, I just don't want to unexpectedly put someone off by using such a strong term that can bring up some issues in them since it is really easy just to use another word instead.

Yeah will agree with that, on my 1st case as a detective and I already don't want to drive all the fucking way across town. :S
You can make your partner drive and you still get to hear the chatter but skip the ride once the talk is done! I don't think I did any driving aside from for the cheevo with some In Flames on in the background.

we should rally for the allowable use of the word in this thread.

given we are australian.
AusGAF 8 will start up quite quickly if we are going to start using terrible language just for the sake of it.

Jintor

So I was (still am, technically) a member of the AusPAX thread on the Penny-Arcade forum and for the last two years they've managed an ANZ meetup where they rent out a house for a week like... in Byron Bay or somewhere far cheaper probably and just chill, play board games, go get riotously drunk etc. I was thinking something like that. Might take a while though.

So I was (still am, technically) a member of the AusPAX thread on the Penny-Arcade forum and for the last two years they've managed an ANZ meetup where they rent out a house for a week like... in Byron Bay or somewhere far cheaper probably and just chill, play board games, go get riotously drunk etc. I was thinking something like that. Might take a while though.

That too would be cool, and fairly cheap. There are a fair amount of us, so we'd need to get accommodation to reflect that. I still think one of the big cities would be more fun though :D Plus that might make it easier for those with kids etc.

I almost had a heart attack when I saw the thread about Andy Griffiths dying... and then I realised it was a different Andy Griffiths.

Need to organise some kind of one off event so that people can get time off work or their family to travel to a meet. Should have done one to get everyone to the Dark Knight Rises premiere at the Sydney IMAX and drinks before/after! Always wanted to fly up for it (but now my wedding clashes with it :( )

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Look at all those good looking people at the Brisbane meet.

Almost as good looking as me.

Look at all those good looking people at the Brisbane meet.

Almost as good looking as me.

Yeah but you eat children so...

The c word is used extensively on reddit when the topic is related to Australians. That and fucking upside down jokes. Default reddit is the worst sometimes. Don't get me started on the puns.

Packing boxes of up and gos onto a shipping pallet for 8 hours is a good time. I highly recommend it. At least the time seems to go quicker on night shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom