• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Lol, I read this on the phone while I was waiting for my dad to pick me up and i was like "wat?"
Pro-tip for AusGAF people:

Don't use the c-word on neogaf. Seems like it is now being enforced as a bannable offence.

I know none of you are foul mouthed, but just a friendly warning.
I always thought the c-word was a bannable offence.
You should all play Tribes Ascend. The Australian community is massive, I can hop on right now and get a full housed server. I'm nostalgia'ing from TF2 back in '09 where everything was golden and it was the best online game ever. I just love games with awesome Australian communities.
I really need to install that shit but I'm not in the mood for a online FPS.:/

So after watching all of suits in 1 day I have concluded that its like a better version of breaking in

Nice work. Season 2 is just as great.

Chilly Brisbane morning

Yep. I have a jacket on ffs.

"works co-ordinator" is the title I signed up for but I think I am actually listed in the company as "admin assistant" so I will be making sure they officially change that to what the job description was when I applied for it. Basically somewhere between a receptionist and an operations manager, although I am involved in a lot higher level stuff too like contract negotiations and direct reporting to state managers. Strange role that was kinda thrown together at short notice hoping that shit would stick and the contract would somehow work.

Makes my previous jobs seem like a fucking dream, wish I appreciated them more.

To put it bluntly, how is a "receptionist" job you applied for more money? They must have gotten you for a steal.

I know work offered me a different role after a few months. Twice the work no pay rise. They couldn't figure out why I turned it down.

Stackboy

Also, The Living End are doing something unique for their next tour late this year. They're playing all their albums in full during a seven day period (first album gets two shows). Which is awesome because all I ever want to hear from The Living End these days is their first album and maybe their second. Seven shows in a row is crazy though.
http://www.thelivingend.com/latest-...are-playing-all-of-their-albums-live-in-full/

Heaps going to one of the self-titled shows in Brisbane.

Sorry for skipping on the Bris-gaf meet. I dislocated my knee recently and getting around is a bit of an issue.

What are y'all playing at the moment? I'm back on the BF3 bandwagon with the release of Battlefield Premium.

Agreed about LA Noire. The whole game is just a complete fucking mess. It's an adventure game! No, wait, it's a GTA game! Hang on, now it's a platformer!

I've
completed the Black Dahlia case in homicide and just moved to vice
and it's just been utterly repetitive, and not just the gameplay. I understand the reason for
the last few cases being repetitive, since that's kind of the point
, but also for the game to
pull a bait and switch where after the first couple of murders you just know it's a serial killer and you're putting these guys away is pretty shit

My computer's not exactly a beast any more (Q6600, 4GB RAM, 512MB 8800GT), but even on the absolute lowest settings (800x600, everything on minimum or off) the game starts off OK sometimes and then devolves into a slideshow. Sometimes it starts off chugging and gets worse from there. I've nearly spent more time trying to get the damned thing to run that play it.

Oh! I forgot to thank Shan and r1chard for the info on the Japanese SIMs. These two look like what I'll need. http://www.econnectjapan.com/products-page.html http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/note_u300.html

There would only be 3 or 4 of us and I don't see anyone travelling here to join us. Also, I would probably chicken out at the last minute cause I am super shy in real life.

I will be down in august if you want to organize one around me. I was planning to hit jambo up for some beers regardless.

Rahk

Agreed about LA Noire. The whole game is just a complete mess. It's an adventure game! No, wait, it's a GTA game! Hang on, now it's a platformer!

I've
and it's just been utterly repetitive, and not just the gameplay. I understand the reason for
pull a bait and switch where after the first couple of murders you just know it's a serial killer and you're putting these guys away is pretty [censored]
Agreed. That's the point where I stopped playing. I really enjoyed it before the repetition started though.

Agreed about LA Noire. The whole game is just a complete fucking mess. It's an adventure game! No, wait, it's a GTA game! Hang on, now it's a platformer!

I've
pull a bait and switch where after the first couple of murders you just know it's a serial killer and you're putting these guys away is pretty shit

I liked the idea behind LA Noire but its execution was definitely lacking. I like that it wasn't (for some of the game) an action game. A proper sequel with more investigation and less shooting would be rad. Maybe if they made the main character not a cop. Like a PI or an investigative journalist or something.
Oh and add some people to the streets. The whole world felt super empty.

Jintor

I really don't want to start a thread in gaming on this again because fighting the neverending battle has me tired out, but thankfully the #girlsarebadatgaming tag on twitter (which is trending atm) is mostly full of people going "Lol no, you sexist fucks"

Aon

I really don't want to start a thread in gaming on this again because fighting the neverending battle has me tired out, but thankfully the #girlsarebadatgaming tag on twitter (which is trending atm) is mostly full of people going "Lol no, you sexist fucks"

It's a bad day for that on GAF too, what with the Girls are Doomed because the dont understand Computers thread in OT.

Which again is for the most part people being angry with sexism.

Choc

Banned
if you needed more proof campbell newman is a knob here it is. He won't agree to the usual premiers bet between qld and nsw where if nsw win the origin the nsw flag flies on storey bridge for a week and vice versa with the harbour bridge

fucking knob

if you needed more proof campbell newman is a knob here it is. He won't agree to the usual premiers bet between qld and nsw where if nsw win the origin the nsw flag flies on storey bridge for a week and vice versa with the harbour bridge

fucking knob

Does he not get Queensland.

I liked the idea behind LA Noire but its execution was definitely lacking. I like that it wasn't (for some of the game) an action game. A proper sequel with more investigation and less shooting would be rad. Maybe if they made the main character not a cop. Like a PI or an investigative journalist or something.

They should use it as a base for a Moonlighting game.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
There would only be 3 or 4 of us and I don't see anyone travelling here to join us. Also, I would probably chicken out at the last minute cause I am super shy in real life.

next time i'm in town I will demand an adelgaf reception.

Jintor

Shan, Deek, Mid... what can I use to practice Japanese with my shitty 101 skills? Bear in mind I don't yet know kanji and probably won't until my self-study bounces. But I want to keep something on hand so my skills don't atrophy.

I was thinking of picking up Pokemon Black 2 or something.

To put it bluntly, how is a "receptionist" job you applied for more money? They must have gotten you for a steal.
Basically my current job was offered to me when my full-time casual job was in a lull and I was struggling to provide for my family, other jobs at the same company were taking forever to get resolved so it could have been another year until I got into a stable job there. My current job was also offered with the reassurance that I would get a pay rise after 3 months (which hasn't happened because things have been too "hectic" and the contract isn't "profitable" yet) and an expectation that in 12 months time there would be an option to head back to Geelong, which would be fantastic but it looks unlikely that the contract in Geelong will even exist for much longer. If they can agree to bump me up to a decent paygrade, even just up to the same as the other administrator, I will be happy enough to stick around for a little longer despite my patience with their practices from top to bottom being stretched further and further even from day one.

I really should finish my degree!

EDIT: The job I was looking at was a glorified receptionist role with the usual supply and assistant crap. Working for a company that loves to pay their employees top dollar and waste money which would have been nice.

jambo

fn8Y9.gif

senahorse

Try again, in the right thread.

art-newman-420x0.jpg

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman has been involved in a car crash on the Sunshine Coast this morning.

The Premier was travelling to Twin Waters when his official car was hit by a vehicle that allegedly failed to stop at an intersection on the corner of Nojoor Rd and Ocean Drive.
The Sunshine Coast Daily was travelling behind the Premier's vehicle at the time.

A staff member tweeted from the Premier's Twitter account: ''The Premier was involved in a car crash on the Sunshine Coast this morning. Thankfully there are no apparent injuries.'' Reporter Nicole Fuge said no-one was injured in the accident.
She said the female driver of the car that failed to stop was in shock.
Mr Newman was on his way to a LGAQ and QTC financial summit and has continued with his engagements this morning, a member of Mr Newman's staff said.

Yes...accident.

Deeku

Shan, Deek, Mid... what can I use to practice Japanese with my shitty 101 skills? Bear in mind I don't yet know kanji and probably won't until my self-study bounces. But I want to keep something on hand so my skills don't atrophy.

Well, first thing is get that dictionary!
I'm not gonna shut up until you do lol
Not only will that dictionary teach you grammar, but it's also really good reading practice. There's like kanji with furigana plus hiragana written in english (I forget the term for that). And then there are special topics and appendices that focus on sentence structures, particles, conjugations, compound words etc etc. So, you'll learn heeeaaaps!

And yeah, just do stuff that you like doing, but in japanese. So reading manga (maybe stick to shonen stuff for now), watch animus, and yeah import some japanese games. Pokemon is a good choice because a. it's relatively simple japanese (maybe a bit tougher than what you've learnt) b. you're familiar with how pokemon works (I assume lol) so there won't be too much frustration in figuring stuff out.

Also jpop.

Jintor

Also Spec Ops is pretty good so far, hoping the combination of bog-standard third-person shooter gameplay and a pretty interesting looking story sells.

Rahk

Japanese electronic dictionaries are also pretty good for looking up Kanji, if you play any games or want to read anything that doesn't have furigana. Got mine a few years ago, but I presume they are still a bit pricey.

And yeah, get that grammar dictionary, yo.

senahorse

Also Spec Ops is pretty good so far, hoping the combination of bog-standard third-person shooter gameplay and a pretty interesting looking story sells.

The deal is especially sweeter at $25, it's easier to overlook some of its shortcomings.

fucking knob

God he's a tool. I think he thinks Queenslanders like him more than they like State of Origin. They don't. He's just won in a landslide but if they held an election between the LNP and the Maroons the Maroons would win in every seat. With Mal as Premier, having the most political experience out of the team. A whole 30 seconds.

They should use it as a base for a Moonlighting game.

With Bruce Willis? Day one.

senahorse

If this became a reality for Steam, would it mean the end of cheap games on Steam or would it mean cheaper games on Steam? Either way it will be very interesting to see where this goes, if anywhere.

Pokemon is good ^^ I picked up soul silver when that came out a few years ago and found it okay. Just be prepared to have to guess most of the attacks, since you generally can't find them in a dictionary.

hamchan

If this became a reality for Steam, would it mean the end of cheap games on Steam or would it mean cheaper games on Steam? Either way it will be very interesting to see where this goes, if anywhere.

The existence of a secondary market would mean PC games will follow console game pricing. So a little more expensive at launch and a little bit longer to fall in price.

If Steam didn't implement it (or took too long), anyone who managed to create a good digital game resale site that worked with Steam, Origin, GOG, etc, could stand to make a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom