• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's sort of what GMG tried to be. Now it's mostly a site to get cheap Steam games.
I haven't used GMG much until recently, did they just try to sell and trade-in their own stock or allow other games? I'm envisaging a store that allows sales/trade-ins from all the other big guys (like you'd ever get them to agree to it).

Fredescu

Yeah you can just trade back certain games that you'd bought from them. You couldn't trade stuff like Steam or GoG games without the co operation of those companies, and I doubt they'd let it happen.

Jintor

Sucked in prickish game companies. http://au.gamespot.com/news/second-hand-sale-of-software-protected-rules-european-court-6385463

Jint, you're a lawyer-journo, Australian angle this shit for Hyper. Would Aussie courts come to the same conclusion?

While the EoJ ruling creates some opinio juris (nonbinding) international precedent, I'd have to see the ruling to determine upon what principles this case was determined. In the short term, at least, I doubt it - at least until a High Court case is brought forward.

Ham, are you saying PC gaming non-resalability is part of why initial DD prices can be so low?

Choc

Banned
http://www.airbornegamer.com/2012/07/02/this-is-why-girls-suck-at-gaming/

Troll_face.png

Well played gentlemen

Jintor, aren't European laws bounded by the EU constitution?

Rahk

And yeah, just do stuff that you like doing, but in japanese. So reading manga (maybe stick to shonen stuff for now), watch animus, and yeah import some japanese games. Pokemon is a good choice because a. it's relatively simple japanese (maybe a bit tougher than what you've learnt) b. you're familiar with how pokemon works (I assume lol) so there won't be too much frustration in figuring stuff out.Also jpop.
I'd recommend watching anime without subtitles even if you don't understand everything. You tend to get lazy and not concentrate if you focus on reading subtitles.

In addition to anime, you could also watch some dramas and variety shows which are probably more suited to learning the language as they tend to be more natural. Check out Lincoln and Gaki no Tsukai for some variety shows that you might find amusing without even knowing a lot of the language.

Also Spec Ops is pretty good so far, hoping the combination of bog-standard third-person shooter gameplay and a pretty interesting looking story sells.
I expect it will sell average. Which is annoying because they did a fantastic job in putting you through the damages of violence and war. Although the section I am in is pretty much just a slog-shoot-fest at the moment which sucks. The confronting stuff though is done very, very, very well. Very impressed with the developers and will be keeping an eye on any of their projects from here on out, some great minds over there that look to be above the usual run of the mill projects.

Sucked in prickish game companies. http://au.gamespot.com/news/second-hand-sale-of-software-protected-rules-european-court-6385463

Jint, you're a lawyer-journo, Australian angle this shit for Hyper. Would Aussie courts come to the same conclusion?
Slow the roll hombre, dickish software companies first. Gaming is another ballpark but this does bode well indeed for selling your games without reprimand. The issue of what Steam is classified as though could end up changing their whole plans and could backfire immensely on gamers in terms of the current value system just to get the ability to trade your old games. With prices so freaking low and a hell of a lot of purchases being throwaway, impulse buys based on price fluctuations and low, low prices the idea of then making them trade-able seems like a dangerous proposition to allow companies to still make a living out of them.

midonnay

Shan, Deek, Mid... what can I use to practice Japanese with my shitty 101 skills? Bear in mind I don't yet know kanji and probably won't until my self-study bounces. But I want to keep something on hand so my skills don't atrophy.

the easiest thing you can do is keep drilling what you already know with Anki.

Consolidation is key. Even if you don't learn anything new.... half an hour to an hour drilling in the toliet/bus/tv should be enough to maintain your skills.

Erin's challenge

https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/

Pretty good site for beginners..... the short videos has subtitles for japanese and english. Also has transcripts with "mouse over" translations

Its basically the journey of this english girl (who looks japanese =,= ) as she enters a school as a foreign student.

have you heard of Lang 8?

http://lang-8.com/

Its website of cooperation where users write entries in a public diary and japanese people can comment and correct your mistakes.

The philosophy is that you're supposed to use your native level english skills to correct the diary entries of english learners. Sharing is caring and all that >_>

Jintor

Also, for anki... which do you reckon is better, reading the japanese to remember the english or reading the english to try and remember the japanese? :(

Also, for anki... which do you reckon is better, reading the japanese to remember the english or reading the english to try and remember the japanese? :(

Ideally both. Some anki decks do it. but, if you can only do one, English in to Japanese seems to get my memory working more.

midonnay

japanese to english at the moment.... (passive)

english to japanese is problematic because as your vocabulary increases you may get 10 different possible japanese choices which will mess with your reviews.

nothing really wrong with it.....but it may be time consuming...

edit: now that I think about it, it is probably good to have some english to japanese cards too.... but mainly the words that probably won't have synonyms eg: dog cat etc. You shouldn't worry about going both ways for every word.

for your "active" memory, may be better to practise writing sentences or finding a speaking partner.

Fredescu

You know when you start arguing about whether women are biologically less interested in technology you should probably stop.
There's probably an element of truth to that, it's just that it's more of a trend than a black and white rule. The article is pretty clearly saying all girls are X, all guys are Y, which is stupid.

Yagharek

Forgive me for asking, but aren't pc games obscenely cheap these days? I mean, fair enough if you bought a silly EA game you would want to sell it, but I'm surprised the issue is getting more traction with respect to the pc rather than console market.

I'd love to sell my xbla and capcom psn games.

Yagharek

. The article is pretty clearly saying all girls are X, all guys are Y, which is stupid.

Well at least you're right chromosomally.

That thread looked unbelievably silly, but I haven't had a chance to enjoy its various literary charms just yet.

Was -5 out here until about half an hour ago. Nice and frosty :p

Damn poor Fogz. I'm so glad I've escaped most of the Canberra winter. Left on the 20th of May and coming back early August. So I nearly missed the whole winter!

I never had to deal with such thick frost on my car until I came to Canberra. I need to get a bucket or something.

Fredescu

I'm surprised the issue is getting more traction with respect to the pc rather than console market.
I imagine it's because a lot of people have converted to near 100% DD on PC in a fairly short period of time. Not many people are doing that for consoles I'd think.

Well at least you're right chromosomally.
For true. Another reason I hate this article is it casts the biological basis for gender differences in a negative light. This kind of stuff is ammo for the "literally every single thing is a social construct" crowd.

Deeku

Check out Lincoln and Gaki no Tsukai for some variety shows that you might find amusing without even knowing a lot of the language.
But they all speak kansai ben so it might confuse poor beginner jint! But yeah it is good to see how natural dialogue works, especially sentence structure and what not.

Deeku

Nah, that's why I started learning at school in the first place. But then it morphed into wanting to know more about the culture, then wanting to live and work in Japan,
and then maybe a japanese waifu

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Wow that wasn't even a subtle attempt at a troll. The 'women are bad at computers' thread looks awful. You know when you start arguing about whether women are biologically less interested in technology you should probably stop.

People just need to look at Korea and Starcraft to understand what being fully immersed in technology can do to create scenarios where certain people are better.

Those threads on TL are always funny when people seem to think, genetically Koreans are better at Starcraft.

Yagharek

People just need to look at Korea and Starcraft to understand what being fully immersed in technology can do to create scenarios where certain people are better.

Those threads on TL are always funny when people seem to think, genetically Koreans are better at Starcraft.

There's a lot to be said for people confusing social versus genetic factors.

jambo

m.neogaf.com has settings for that =P

Actually I think when you log in it grabs the default settings on your account!

La Madman La Manga La Sale!

Forgive me for asking, but aren't pc games obscenely cheap these days?
They are indeed! Never a better time to be a PC gamer. I mean, Spec Ops the Line is $25 at release! Insanity! Even stuff like GMG make it so you can grab most brand new games for $35-40 at most. Picked up Arkham City, Saints Row 3, Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex 3 that way! Not to mention the Indie Bundles for FREE or basically free and all the delicious Steam sales. Also GOG sales at the moment! Classics made to run on modern computers for less than a fucking coffee at your local gay hating barista!

AusGAF 7 already, and up to 15 pages even! Nice work guys! _b
This man is correct, fuck you 100pppp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom