• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
What? That was running on a high end PC. It was not on current gen consoles. That was their next gen engine. It will be ported to the 360/PS3.

It was similar to watch dogs in presentation. Check out this cutscene, oh shit we are now in game, zomg graphics.

It's next gen. Not current gen.

You clearly sound misinformed.:p

Kojima said that was running on a PC with similar specs to PS3/360. And the final version will look pretty similar to what we saw there, might be a bit downgraded though, as I'm pretty sure MGS4 didn't look anywhere near as good as it's first showing. That's what we have the PC version for! (hopefully).

hamchan

Fox Engine has to be targeted for next gen with the ability to scale down for current gen, because who the heck wastes a crapload of money for systems that will be replaced in a years time.

Anyways, the demo looked good but nothing super impressive like star wars 1313. I'm just excited for more Metal Gear.

Yagharek

Star Wars 1313 looked impressive? News to me. It looked like a combination of shitty IP and more knee high walls.

Ground Zeroes on the other hand looks far more 'organic' in much the same way as MGS3 did back when first revealed.

Shaneus

That's a far more astute observation than I believed someone of your phrenological limitations would have allowed. Well done.

As it stands, I've never grown up so I am a child of every decade. This has become a matter of much consternation as teachers are increasingly more alarmed at my appearance at the schoolyard during lunchtime.

I'm amazed that despite the fact that the 80s make me cringe with all of its teased hair, overuse of fluoro, fingerless gloves, leg warmers, the proliferation of the colour pink,craptacular dancing and hats that were brims only, I have quite the fondness for it.

I think, however, it's due more to some of the music, cartoons and movies viewed through the rosy-tint of hindsight more than anything else.
Stop using big words :(

Metal Gear new demo puts all western dev output to shame in terms of visual quality (and inevitably gameplay quality and code stability too).

Epic's UE4 just got upstaged (at least what's been shown of it) and this is only PS3/360 footage.
I missed the news... demo, as in, PLAYABLE demo? Is that the one that's done by Mikami?

Fake edit: Looks like not. Also, while looking at Rising stuff, I saw this:
A Microsoft Windows version was originally planned by Konami Productions, but it was rumored to have been cancelled since December 2011.
A Mikami game running on PC would've been fucking incredible. Imagine Vanquish at 1080p running at 60fps. FUUUUCK :(

Yagharek

I missed the news... demo, as in, PLAYABLE demo? Is that the one that's done by Mikami?

untitled-1dpsgs.gif

Nope. It's a Cold War era MGS, made by Kojima's team. Seems to be set after Peace Walker.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
MGS Rising isn't a mikami title though!

Also I'm pretty sure Konami stated they might release a PC version of MGS : Rising. However it won't be out day-one with the console versions.

Oh yeah and I agree with the sentiment you have RandomVince. Star wars 1313 looked like shit.:p (graphics aside).

Danoss

Or spies and snitches everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Except this thread maybe...

That was my original suspicion, and I was planning on not returning if that was the case, but I have been swayed.

They're opressing us.

They are, they seem to forget words have different meanings and uses in different cultures, even within the same language. Look at the word "fanny", Aussies and Brits know what I'm talking about, but the yanks don't have a clue wearing their 'fanny packs'.

hamchan

Star Wars 1313 looked impressive? News to me. It looked like a combination of shitty IP and more knee high walls.

Ground Zeroes on the other hand looks far more 'organic' in much the same way as MGS3 did back when first revealed.

Who the heck was talking about gameplay or IP? I was talking purely about graphics.

Yagharek

Who the heck was talking about gameplay or IP? I was talking purely about graphics.

It may be the SW filter, but even the visuals didnt really impress me. Looked like typical sterile bland SW environments combined with typical sterile bland Gears of War cover based concrete blocks.

Nothing in the demo, either artistically or technically impressed me.

They are, they seem to forget words have different meanings and uses in different cultures, even within the same language. Look at the word "fanny", Aussies and Brits know what I'm talking about, but the yanks don't have a clue wearing their 'fanny packs'.

Well, we can just laugh at them :p It was quite apparent in that thread about a coles in tassie advertising for a position, but "No Asians or Indians", and the focal point became "Australians don't think Indians are Asians? Racists!"

Shaneus

MGS Rising isn't a mikami title though!
It's a Platinum Games title, though... and Mikami is one of the heads of Platinum. Just looking now, I see that he isn't the director on the project, but that's not to say he won't be working on it.

But you're right, technically it's not a Mikami title like Vanquish was.

On the Mikami tip, is RE4 generally regarded as one of the best Resident Evils? I might hunt down a copy for PC.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
On the Mikami tip, is RE4 generally regarded as one of the best Resident Evils? I might hunt down a copy for PC.
You haven't played RE4? play it asap - one of the best games ever made.
You are better off playing the game on 360/PS3 or via dolphin instead of the PC version though

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It may be the SW filter, but even the visuals didnt really impress me. Looked like typical sterile bland SW environments combined with typical sterile bland Gears of War cover based concrete blocks.

Nothing in the demo, either artistically or technically impressed me.

It was more the animation along with visual effects that were going on. It might have been knee high wall bullshit, But everything else was very smooth and looked great.

Shaneus

I think I've "tracked down" a PC copy. I might "track down" a Gamecube copy for emulation as well, but I'd prefer to go nuts with the PC one and mods and stuff. Half the fun is getting games working (as many people on my Steam list can attest to, when the one game appears multiple times as being played within a 10 minute timespan).

Hey rep: You should watch Bob's Burgers. Aside from the tacky aesthetic, it's almost exactly like Archer, but set in a burger restaurant. It helps that H. Jon Benjamin does the voice.

Also, watch Jon Benjamin Has A Van. It's also totally fucking awesome.

Wii version is best version.
Opinion noted.

Bye holycheck. Unless he wants to edit his post.
What did I miss?

Jintor

It's a Platinum Games title, though... and Mikami is one of the heads of Platinum. Just looking now, I see that he isn't the director on the project, but that's not to say he won't be working on it.

But you're right, technically it's not a Mikami title like Vanquish was.

I thought Mikami was at Tango Gameworks now.

Danoss

Well, we can just laugh at them :p It was quite apparent in that thread about a coles in tassie advertising for a position, but "No Asians or Indians", and the focal point became "Australians don't think Indians are Asians? Racists!"

I wonder if anyone pointed out one of their own Baseball teams to them.

W7Ein.jpg

An explorer makes a mistake and it's still left uncorrected hundreds of years later.

dinopoke

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads here. I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast in bed of pancakes, fresh coffee, hand-made card and the $2 brain teaser gizmo bought from the stall at the school. Also: no dinky laminated tie this year! Win!
Yay! I am actually family free today, they left at 9am to go to the in-laws for a Fathers Day lunch. Can't go since I have this stupid assignment to finish. Plus I got like no sleep last night and I'm not feeling like being a father is an enjoyable task today :/
Spread it all out over the week with crafts from day care and music group so it was still nice! Also had my favourites last night; Chili Con Carne followed by Black Forest Cake!

Hello everyone, it's been a while! G
Hi AusGAF.
Good to see you guys back! Especially now Shaneus is back, like getting the old crew back together! Makes AusGAF 8 seem like a worthwhile proposition.

What? That was running on a high end PC. It was not on current gen consoles. That was their next gen engine. It will be ported to the 360/PS3.
Running on a PC one the level of a PS3 according to media reports. Konami have said right from the start that the FOX engine will

Fake edit: Looks like not. Also, while looking at Rising stuff, I saw this:
A Mikami game running on PC would've been fucking incredible. Imagine Vanquish at 1080p running at 60fps. FUUUUCK :(
kotaku-slowpoke.jpg

Come on dude, I thought you were a fan! Hand in your man card NOW.
He has been gone since Vanquish and SotD. He has founded TWO studios in the meantime and has been bought up by Bethesda so I'm not holding my breath on much happening for him.
Also they dropped PC version when Konami realised that it is all well and good to have a PC version of a game that doesn't actually exist, so how about we worry about making a damn video game first and THEN decide if we can get it running on a PC, Vita, iOS, Pacemaker.
Also Platinum don't do PC versions, as evidenced by no Vanquish on PC :(

Also I'm pretty sure Konami stated they might release a PC version of MGS : Rising. However it won't be out day-one with the console versions.

Oh yeah and I agree with the sentiment you have RandomVince. Star wars 1313 looked like shit.:p (graphics aside).
Depends on how capable the Platnium engine will be to port across in regards to cost/revenue expected. If it sells really well (i.e. triple the sales of all previous Platnium titles combined) I can see it happening.

Also yeah 1313 was a bit disappointing, gave me those CGI Killzone 2 impressions. I guess my worry is connected to the Lucasarts output for the last 5 or so years in conjunction with an important man leaving their stables for the green pastures of Valve.

I think I've "tracked down" a PC copy. I might "track down" a Gamecube copy for emulation as well, but I'd prefer to go nuts with the PC one and mods and stuff. Half the fun is getting games working (as many people on my Steam list can attest to, when the one game appears multiple times as being played within a 10 minute timespan).
Grab the Wii version and Dolphin that thing!

hamchan

Watching that new MGS video in HD proper now, yeah, I stand by that it wasn't that impressive technically compared to some of the next gen games we've seen, so I can see it running on a PS3 or 360. I'm more impressed with the direction of the scenes, like when Here's to You started playing. I'm not that excited to play as Big Boss again but oh well, at least he looks old and awesome now.

I still hate you Shaneus.

Catch of the Day have a few truckloads of pre-owned GAME stock that they received through auction (I guess). $10 games, pre-owned, $5 postage for however many you want to grab.
Noticed Red Steel 2, Pikmin, Metroid Prime 3, Day of Crisis, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Nier, PGR4, Sports Champions, Cursed Mountain, Contact (EVERYONE BUY CONTACT ON DS), Legend of the Guardians (BY GAZ!), Gunpey, $5 Wii Component Cableb (also a 360 one there), bunch of other decent titles.

Matrix Blu Ray for $22 with some extra coasters from Amazon.

PS3 Move Sharpshooter shell for $34 at MightyApe (I think those guys are the good one? FishPond bad?)

midonnay

google play needs to embrace multithreaded downloading....

after nearly a day and I'm still downloading Horn....not nice for a handheld device :/

Shaneus

Good to see you guys back! Especially now Shaneus is back, like getting the old crew back together! Makes AusGAF 8 seem like a worthwhile proposition.

Running on a PC one the level of a PS3 according to media reports. Konami have said right from the start that the FOX engine will

kotaku-slowpoke.jpg

Come on dude, I thought you were a fan! Hand in your man card NOW.
He has been gone since Vanquish and SotD. He has founded TWO studios in the meantime and has been bought up by Bethesda so I'm not holding my breath on much happening for him.
Also they dropped PC version when Konami realised that it is all well and good to have a PC version of a game that doesn't actually exist, so how about we worry about making a damn video game first and THEN decide if we can get it running on a PC, Vita, iOS, Pacemaker.
Also Platinum don't do PC versions, as evidenced by no Vanquish on PC :(

Depends on how capable the Platnium engine will be to port across in regards to cost/revenue expected. If it sells really well (i.e. triple the sales of all previous Platnium titles combined) I can see it happening.

Also yeah 1313 was a bit disappointing, gave me those CGI Killzone 2 impressions. I guess my worry is connected to the Lucasarts output for the last 5 or so years in conjunction with an important man leaving their stables for the green pastures of Valve.

Grab the Wii version and Dolphin that thing!
Thanks. And sorry. And Cheers.

I still hate you Shaneus.

Catch of the Day have a few truckloads of pre-owned GAME stock that they received through auction (I guess). $10 games, pre-owned, $5 postage for however many you want to grab.
Noticed Red Steel 2, Pikmin, Metroid Prime 3, Day of Crisis, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Nier, PGR4, Sports Champions, Cursed Mountain, Contact (EVERYONE BUY CONTACT ON DS), Legend of the Guardians (BY GAZ!), Gunpey, $5 Wii Component Cableb (also a 360 one there), bunch of other decent titles.

Matrix Blu Ray for $22 with some extra coasters from Amazon.

PS3 Move Sharpshooter shell for $34 at MightyApe (I think those guys are the good one? FishPond bad?)
Wait, why the hate? I'm sorry for being out of touch, I've been PCing it up for a while, and Platinum/Mikami just doesn't appear on the radar as much as he used to :(

PS. Was just checking out Catch as I switched to GAF (funnily enough, to post about the Catch sale). Reckon that's a fallout from GAME?

BTW PGR4 is on that Catch thing? Everyone buy it! Even if you don't have a 360! I'd be tempted by some of those Wii games as well (especially NMH) but I don't have a Wii :/

Also, I've been too busy falling in love with Joanna Newsom today. Go figure.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Watching that new MGS video in HD proper now, yeah, I stand by that it wasn't that impressive technically compared to some of the next gen games we've seen, so I can see it running on a PS3 or 360. I'm more impressed with the direction of the scenes, like when Here's to You started playing. I'm not that excited to play as Big Boss again but oh well, at least he looks old and awesome now.
Yeah, it was a pretty MINDBLOWING trailer. But there was nothing in that trailer that screams out next-gen to me, I easily see it running on current gen hardware around 20-30 fps at the very least.

Looking forward to dat PC version for 60fps goodness.

Fogz

Just got Contact, Rhythm Heaven, and Elite Beat Agents. They are supposed to be good, right :p

Yagharek

Yeah, it was a pretty MINDBLOWING trailer. But there was nothing in that trailer that screams out next-gen to me, I easily see it running on current gen hardware around 20-30 fps at the very least.

Looking forward to dat PC version for 60fps goodness.

Rumour is the PC version will be GFWL (according to CVG)

Lol GFWL already discussed when the thing has barely even been revealed, let alone release date or PC platform being concrete.

Just got Contact, Rhythm Heaven, and Elite Beat Agents. They are supposed to be good, right :p
Contact is a really relaxing adventure RPG by Grasshopper Manufacture that felt a lot like the Mother games to me while still being its own unique think. Was shocked that I hear nothing about it on the internet.

Omikron

Do people genuinely believe that that MGS demo was running on 'current gen equivalent' hardware, or just want to believe it?

I am with cookie.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Do people genuinely believe that that MGS demo was running on 'current gen equivalent' hardware, or just want to believe it?

I am with cookie.

As hamchan and I implied before. What makes the game look so next-gen? I mean it arguably looks as good as say Uncharted 2/3 but with a more open environment. I think some of you PC people underestimate what consoles are really capable of.;p

I have no emotional stakes in the overall graphical quality of the game either way, hell for most people they really aren't any, esp since it's multiplatform unlike the previous MGS titles.

Yagharek

I am with cookie.

It looks good, but it doesn't look like it's out of reach of current gen hw. I dunno though, but the logo at the end of the trailer for ps3 and 360 kind of made the point.

That said, all the alleged next gen stuff shown to date (UE4, Watchdogs, SW 1313) dont look impressive either.

A bit of history though for the PC people. Metal Gear Solid 3 came out very late last gen, and was a significant leap over what MGS2 was doing at/around launch. It's not surprising at all to see KojiPro do something significant late in a hardware cycle.

Of course, we know its running on Fox Engine which is a presumably next gen engine as well as a current gen scaleable one. But the specs of the machine they were running it on was apparently Ps3/360 equivalent, and there has always been realistic product demos from the Metal Gear series.

So yeah, if Kojima says its real time, PS3/360 version, then there is no reason to doubt it given his track record.

hirokazu

I watched the trailer on iPad and it was pretty terribly compressed, but it did look pretty much at the limit of what this current gen is capable of. I don't know what resolution it was though. I'd say there's no way it was running on PCs comparable to current consoles if it was higher than 720p.

I do suspect they're just saying Xbox 360 and PS3 for now because their successors don't actually exist yet. When they're actually announced at E3 or whatever, they could do a magic switcheroo and it's suddenly for the new systems instead.

I suppose what's even more surprising if this is really targeted at the current gen systems is why Wii U got no support. That poor console.

Yagharek

I do suspect they're just saying Xbox 360 and PS3 for now because their successors don't actually exist yet. When they're actually announced at E3 or whatever, they could do a magic switcheroo and it's suddenly for the new systems instead.

Theyve always announced MGS games after the platform hosting them has been announced. PS2 was unveiled and shortly after MGS2 videos surfaced. MGS4 was similarly unveiled specifically as a PS3 game.

MGS Zeroes or whatever it ends up being called will be a PS3/360 game.
MGS Revengeance will be too.

MGS5 will be next gen.

Darklord

Banned
Would a boxed N64 and like 4 boxed games(SM64 and err, something) be worth much? Came across one for a pretty decent price, wondering if they're worth much being in the box and all that.

God of War 2 was another super impressive looking game coming at the end of the generation. Happens all the time. Games at the end of the generation will look a lot better than games from the start of a generation. Developers get better as they go along people!

I am with cookie.
The media reports are stating that it is running on the equivelant of a PS3 and Konami/Kojima have repeatedly stated that the FOX engine is targetting both this generation and next generation in order to make the costs of developing the new engine feasible.

Postmodern perspectives of organization theory is fucking stupid. I feel stupid typing this stuff out. Is that my lecturers point, to make me feel stupid for typing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom