• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I rewatched the MGS demo via IGN.

The only thing that tells me it's probably not on current gen hardware is the fact there's little to absolutely no anti-aliasing. How many console titles do that? Pretty much zip, Especially with that sort of character model quality.

However, Just about everything else looks kinda shitty. There doesn't seem to be any tessellation being used, Physics are sorta there but mostly look half baked which isn't anything new. Textures weren't all that crash hot either. It seemed to be slightly laggy when they moved the camera around? I get the feeling that could have been IGN though. The animation needs some work too.

So maybe it was running on a PC which gives you that anti-aliasing free look with a small bump in graphics here and there. I don't see the current gen systems rendering it that clean though.

jambo

So maybe it was running on a PC which gives you that anti-aliasing free look with a small bump in graphics here and there. I don't see the current gen systems rendering it that clean though.

Afaik it was definitely running on a PC, just a PC with similar specs to the 360 and PS3. Probably a bit more RAM and what not. Would explain the lack of aliasing.

lol Richmond. Secured 14th!

also

The media reports are stating that the new MGS demo is running on a PC on the equivelant of a PS3 and Konami/Kojima have repeatedly stated that the FOX engine is targetting both this generation and next generation in order to make the costs of developing the new engine feasible.

Danoss

Nathan Hindmarsh, you'll be sorely missed. Great player and great bloke.

He got to finish his last game kicking a penalty goal. He got out the sand and squirted the water on it before placing the ball. That brought a big grin to my face, what a great moment.

Yagharek

So I rewatched the MGS demo via IGN.

The only thing that tells me it's probably not on current gen hardware is the fact there's little to absolutely no anti-aliasing. How many console titles do that? Pretty much zip, Especially with that sort of character model quality.

However, Just about everything else looks kinda shitty. There doesn't seem to be any tessellation being used, Physics are sorta there but mostly look half baked which isn't anything new. Textures weren't all that crash hot either. It seemed to be slightly laggy when they moved the camera around? I get the feeling that could have been IGN though. The animation needs some work too.

I dont know what more to say. They are making it for PS3/360, and have said so quite clearly.

They have also said that the Fox Engine is their new multiplatform engine for the next (presumably long) while.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I dont know what more to say. They are making it for PS3/360, and have said so quite clearly.

They have also said that the Fox Engine is their new multiplatform engine for the next (presumably long) while.

I know.

What I was mostly arguing was that, What was shown was not current gen but actually next gen. In the same sense that watch dogs shown at E3 was the next gen version even though it's getting a current gen port.

Yagharek

Oh, you mean cross-gen versions a la Gun, Twilight Princess etc.

Well, possibly. But I will bet money* that when MGS makes a next gen debut (be it PC, PS4, XBox 3, Wii U**) it will be a different game to this one.

* 5c
** $50 if this ever happens

Yagharek

Poor Andy Carroll :(

Always liked him at Newcastle, felt sorry for him at Liverpool, then he almost had some FA Cup glory off his own boot.

Reptile, have you got your phone/internet hooked up yet?

Is this you?!?!?!

tumblr_m9lhcgWNoD1rnidz9o1_500.jpg

Yagharek

Fox Engine has to be targeted for next gen with the ability to scale down for current gen, because who the heck wastes a crapload of money for systems that will be replaced in a years time.

Anyways, the demo looked good but nothing super impressive like star wars 1313. I'm just excited for more Metal Gear.

I'm not going to flog a dead horse here
yes I am
but star wars 1313 is also coming out on ps3/360 I just found out.

Deeku

So did all you dads here have a lovely day? I sure hope my dad did, cuz I totes forgot about it..>< Though he probably didn't know either lol

You really have to grind like an old school RPG at the start of Saints Row 3 to get any enjoyment out of the game.

So did all you dads here have a lovely day? I sure hope my dad did, cuz I totes forgot about it..>< Though he probably didn't know either lol
Made a call to Dad at half past nine tonight when I had a light bulb go off
while on the toilet :/

set alarm early to make crepes, hit 'off' instead of 'snooze' and woke up at 9:30ish. Didn't have ingredients, so I made a regular hot breakfast. Dad is on a diet, so he couldn't eat the bacon, eggs or hashbrowns - ended up with mushrooms on toast. I forgot until last night so he didn't get a present and was sad. Both of us spent the rest of the day studying in separate rooms =/ the end.

Omikron

Alan Wake is a much better game than I was expecting and the combat is surprisingly satisfying. I should never have doubted Remedy after hating on them for selling out to MS. It took me this long to play Alan Wake. :p

Kritz

Banned
I've done a bit of work on Vlander this weekend.

Vlander (Build 09) NOTE: Requires Unity WebPlayer

I still haven't even completed designing a single level, but that's partly due to accidentally nearly deleting the entire game without a backup. So, anyway. I'm still not entirely sure of my game's focus, and even more uncertain of how the limited possibility space will impact further level design. It's all a learning experience though, and at that, it's great programming practice.

Controls
WASD - Movement
Mouse - Move camera
Left Click - Pick up physics objects
Spacebar - Mantle on top of objects
i - Invert Y axis on mouse

Goal
Reach the point of the level where I stopped making new level.
Alternatively, find the easter egg.

Known bugs
Non-solid objects and invisible objects can be mantled
Boxes move too slow when picked up
You can mantle boxes immediately after dropping them
You can mantle through the bottom of blocks
You don't slide down slopes
You can push away physics blocks you are mantling

--

If you care to, feel free to give criticisms or other comments. Or even suggestions for possible cool things I could add.

Again, sorry if these posts seem too bloggy.

EDIT: FUCK I FORGOT TO POST A FUCKING LIKNK?

Jintor

My god Dark Souls is amazingly satisfying

This game makes me doing corpse runs over and over and over again still feel like a victorious achievement against the very gods themselves.

Fuck the camera though.

I've done a bit of work on Vlander this weekend.
Got stuck here:
vQuiLm.jpg

Couldn't figure out how to scale that thing. Tried to grab one of the boxes from the previous thing I scaled but to no avail.

Also:
MuGSOm.jpg

Game currently has a vaguely Myst-like feel. You're somewhere, and here's a bunch of stuff, figure it out with no other context whatsoever.

Also I couldn't remember the name when saving the screenshots, so have called it Boxfuck 2: The Boxening.

Kritz

Banned
Well if you got to the easteregg you probably got a bit further than that. For the most part, the direction you go is pretty much always forward. There's one point where you need to backtrack by a few metres. (the second screenshot of mine is exactly that part)

It is kind of that thing where you fall into the trap of... as someone who has tested this level no less than 50 times, I continue developing levels to make them interesting to my current skill level. Admittedly my game's skill ceiling is pretty low, but you still always make things way harder than you think they are because everything is intuitive to you.

... Due in part to the Myst reference, I'm kind of thinking of making this game non-linear again. But not in an open world style like before, more just, there are multiple "lines" you could take from different points.

--

For anyone who doesn't want to install Unity Webplayer to see what my game's about, I meaks a video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=svAy7IJSs_Q

The recommended videos panel is making me rethink my game's name.

Kritz

Banned
The mouse sensitivity is ridiculous. I couldn't play because of it.

Too slow or too fast? My mouse has a crazy high DPI so I'm a very bad judge of how mouse sensitivity should be. Especially because at the moment it doesn't scale at all.

I've started work on arting the game up, also. Although I think I have to take a break for legitimate study today. :(

The sensitivity was too high for me initially as well, but I've got an adjustable DPI mouse so I managed to reduce it to an acceptable level.

Yagharek

Only 4 5 more gold coins to get in NSMB Wii.
And all the world 9 ones too, so another 27

edit: now its back to 4. World 8-7 is nuts. 0_0

jambo

I would recommend you download it from the afl site....but the speckysaver website doesn't seem to be working atm...

maybe telstra changed around the settings...

They normally replay matches multiple times throughout the week on Foxtel, checking the guide now.

jambo

I just checked and it was actually only $138.

It's still a lot, but I haven't bought any special editions since... 2010 when I got the Halo Reach Legendary edition.

Omikron

I just checked and it was actually only $138.

It's still a lot, but I haven't bought any special editions since... 2010 when I got the Halo Reach Legendary edition.

Fair enough, the last special edition I picked up was Civ V with some diecast figures and an art book. Before then? NFI, not a collectors edition buyer at all.

Also for AusGAF irc folk. Join #AusNoDOTA if you don't want to listen to the tribe prattling about DOTA.

jambo

September 24th

Yes indeed. It'll be the 19th anniversary of Myst!

Fair enough, the last special edition I picked up was Civ V with some diecast figures and an art book. Before then? NFI, not a collectors edition buyer at all.

The BLands 2 one is pretty nice. Cloth map, bobble head, vending machine, weapons chest, 4 lithographs, art book and STICKERS!!!

Raxum

I now don't feel so bad. It is now priced at $40 (usd) for Australians.

I paid $55USD total for the game + dlc season pass.

I missed the 'sale' on the season pass for BL2. Kinda unsure if I want to play $40 for the DLC at this point, especially since it isn't out yet. I loved BL1 but I've known a few sequels to let you down. Bit torn and been burned too many times. Plus I don't really like supporting DLC that is planned before release, just feels like I'm getting ripped off for the initial purchase.

Also, Torchlight 2 is now apparently coming out close to Borderlands 2. That seems like a pretty bad move on their part, but then torchlight 2 is much cheaper than borderlands 2.

Dingotech

I now don't feel so bad. It is now priced at $40 (usd) for Australians.

I paid $55USD total for the game + dlc season pass.

$53.50 for me.

Considering I wasn't even going to buy it until all the DLC was released and some sort of package GOTY deal I'm very happy to be able to play it on release. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom