• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

So a couple of months back I told you guys I'd lost my job in the QLD Government. Thanks to some magic from my Director I managed to keep my job this far. We get out new budget on Tuesday. We've had plenty of people take voluntary redundancy and a few have just flat out lost their jobs with no option.

Management seems to think we won't lose any more people, but there's a chance that anyone could go. It's real scary, it's made me really anxious. So much so that I've had a loss of sleep, stomach aches and all sorts of crazy things.

It's going to be a hard week. Spare a thought for those who've lost their jobs recently and those that might just have that happen this week. I really hope it's not me.

Jesus man. That sucks. I've got a mate who works at a department whose budget finds out in tuesday (same one I'd guess?). I think the entire public service is shitting themselves. Fucking horrible situation Newman has put you in. I think he thought the public service was an easier target than its turned out to be.

Good luck this week man

Danoss

Premiership. But feel free to show your work

I think Canterbury can finish their run with a Premiership win to go with their Minor Premiership.

zQRIf.jpg

As much as I would prefer Cowboys to be there, because I don't want the Storm anywhere near a Grand Final ever again, I think the Storm will ultimately beat them in the Prelim Final, but it will be a close game.

I'm thinking much the same. But I think Melbourne will win. They just strangled the Bunnies last night. I'd like the cows or raiders to be there but I can't see them getting past the prelims at best.

Omikron

So a couple of months back I told you guys I'd lost my job in the QLD Government. Thanks to some magic from my Director I managed to keep my job this far. We get out new budget on Tuesday. We've had plenty of people take voluntary redundancy and a few have just flat out lost their jobs with no option.

Management seems to think we won't lose any more people, but there's a chance that anyone could go. It's real scary, it's made me really anxious. So much so that I've had a loss of sleep, stomach aches and all sorts of crazy things.

It's going to be a hard week. Spare a thought for those who've lost their jobs recently and those that might just have that happen this week. I really hope it's not me.

Feel for you, we lost 3 people on Friday morning.

Danoss

I'm thinking much the same. But I think Melbourne will win. They just strangled the Bunnies last night. I'd like the cows or raiders to be there but I can't see them getting past the prelims at best.

The Raiders might not see outside this game if they don't put their foot back on the accelerator soon. They've backed off a bit and the Sharks are creeping back in, even with Jeff Robson (LOL) steering them around the park since Carney is off with a snapped Achilles tendon (seriously, OW!).

Edit: Christ, can't believe they got away with that forward pass! Why do we have linesmen again?

markot

Banned
I love QLD lib nats, they are single handedly going to save Labour in the federal election.

I mean I feel sorry for QLD and all, but there is nothing better then a taste test to put people off.

Mumei

Damn it, now two mods know of our existence! But mainly tradition since we were exiled to community when there was only one community thread I think. And we used to talk about things that were specific to gaming in Australia, we cured ourselves of that though.

Dead Man, I had no idea you were AusGAF!

(Or are you just infiltrating them? Don't worry; I won't tell anybody.)

And I knew about this topic before I was a mod, though I hadn't actually looked until um.... a few days ago-ish.

Not only is he AusGAF but also part of the rural outback AdelaideGAF!

Hello, AusGAF. I was just wondering, why is your thread in Gaming Community? Do you guys just like it here?
I think originally the thread was focused on gaming related bargains for Australians and for developers like Gaz/Ventron etc al to talk local shop. As more and more people were accepted to GAF at the time when we had widespread electricity and Morse code introduction, these threads started to grow in both scope and pace.

Tends to be a lot more gaming related discussion here than any threads in the OT section.

I assume the thread was brought to your attention by the recent edit to the OP. I will say this is a nice nonaggressive thread compared to the rest of GAF with plenty of respect shown to all, regardless of how our society may seem strange to other people.

Mumei

I assume the thread was brought to your attention by the recent edit to the OP. I will say this is a nice nonaggressive thread compared to the rest of GAF with plenty of respect shown to all, regardless of how our society may seem strange to other people.

Nope; it was just idle curiosity.

Danoss

The Raiders really don't have a secondary goal kicker. Croker goes off and a combination of Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson go 0/4. That's terrible.

The Raiders really don't have a secondary goal kicker. Croker goes off and a combination of Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson go 0/4. That's terrible.

Yeah that was bad. You'd think McCrone or Williams would be able to do it.

I'm glad the sharks are gone. That team is grub central.

Dead Man

Collingwood is going to get destroyed next weekend. :/

Dead Man, I had no idea you were AusGAF!

(Or are you just infiltrating them? Don't worry; I won't tell anybody.)

And I knew about this topic before I was a mod, though I hadn't actually looked until um.... a few days ago-ish.
AusGAF raised, but born in the US. I wander between worlds, homeless, but sticking my nose in everywhere. :)
3 and evilore

Gah, worse than I thought, abandon ship!

Salazar

Western Sydney will get its own beach - of sorts - when a major new theme park opens near Blacktown next year.

The first sods were turned for the construction of Wet n' Wild Sydney today, which is expected to open by summer 2013. NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell spoke at the site this morning, currently a series of dusty rolling hills just off the M4 Motorway, on land that is being leased by the Western Sydney Parklands Trust.

"It is anticipated that 900,000 people will visit the park every year including 175,000 people from interstate and overseas," he said.

The park will includes a series of 42 technicolour slides with concepts the Premier cheerily admitted he "did not understand" and names like the "Sky Coaster" and "Tornado". The park will also feature a fake beach, approximately the size of Freshwater, complete with 10-foot waves where surfing and body boarding is allowed.

Copying QLD. Shameless.

Yagharek

don't point them to the OP lol.

Why not? We might get the thread title fixed :p

mumei: in case youre wondering, we had a few ausgaf casualties of a certain c-word. We needed a public service announcement to keep it in check. Ausgaf is
a sad place when someone gets banned

Omikron

Aren't we all here just to have a central whinging place?

All those other people on this forum are terrible human beings.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Why not? We might get the thread title fixed :p

mumei: in case youre wondering, we had a few ausgaf casualties of a certain c-word. We needed a public service announcement to keep it in check. Ausgaf is
a sad place when someone gets banned

yes to put it in context.. the c word is a lot more culturally accepted here than most places.. so a few of our fallen brothers have done so without being aware :(

This is also a nice place for me to discuss my appreciation of Scotch (I.e. get drunk and make no sense every night)

Also we have our own Steam and GMG storefronts so we need somewhere to discuss avoiding price gouging!

The only gaming that matters (to me) is tabletop gaming, namely PnP RPGs. Yet, the thread for that is in Off-Topic. Yep a gaming thread in Off-Topic. Mind-boggling.
pssst. Start ausgaf-dnd or something up again ~ I feel sad I missed out when you guys used to do it.

Good luck man :(
I think everyone's pretty anxious. My partner's dad hasn't been able to get any future projects approved, and if he loses this job it looks like the family'll have to move to fiji :s

I wonder how much money and jobs the QLD government could save if they cut back on Newman's pay check?
AusGAF raised, but born in the US. I wander between worlds, homeless, but sticking my nose in everywhere. :)
woooooah I didn't know that.

I think Ausgaf really did raise me ;.; I started here at the spritely age of 16, and in a couple of weeks I'll be 20.

Danoss

pssst. Start ausgaf-dnd or something up again ~ I feel sad I missed out when you guys used to do it.

It's coming. I figured I'd stop rooting around through all my books and worrying about whether or not each particular system would be good or not. I realised since I'd be running my first game, it's highly likely to be bad either way.

I think I'll post soon asking what sort of game those who are interested are looking for. No sense prepping a game if it doesn't suit the players tastes too. It'll save me time reading all sorts of different stuff, and I can focus solely on what will help tell the story best. I've whipped up all sorts of banners; time to put them to use.

We can both be part of Old-Man AusGAF.

Clipper

My dad is also going to find out about his job on Tuesday. He's nearly 62, so this would mean early retirement for him, and he has enough super to retire on, but it's still a bit worrisome.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

I think Ausgaf really did raise me ;.; I started here at the spritely age of 16, and in a couple of weeks I'll be 20.
I didn't notice you posting regularly till 2010 or something though.:p despite apparently being part of GAF since 2006. (according to your profile).

Why the fuck does QLD need to cut thousands of public jobs again? Are services up there that good that they need to drop them down to a national average? Can't be money since they have enough assets and cash to cover their debts apparently.

Because its all labor's fault! or something. I stopped paying much attention tbh.

I guess this isn't really the right place to complain about how old I feel huh :p It's like the turning point where I'm not a kid anymore..
It's coming. I figured I'd stop rooting around through all my books and worrying about whether or not each particular system would be good or not. I realised since I'd be running my first game, it's highly likely to be bad either way.

I think I'll post soon asking what sort of game those who are interested are looking for. No sense prepping a game if it doesn't suit the players tastes too. It'll save me time reading all sorts of different stuff, and I can focus solely on what will help tell the story best. I've whipped up all sorts of banners; time to put them to use.
ooooh :D really??? Hooray!!!
I guess it depends what you're able to do. I played dark heresy recently, and that was probably the funnest rpg I've experienced so far. I will quite happily play whatever though!
I don't really recall being hardcore into gaf until about a year or two ago.
Yeah, me neither really. Lack of internet in Japan meant I had a long break back in '10 as well. I did spend many hours during my spares at school lurking though.

midonnay

Why the fuck does QLD need to cut thousands of public jobs again? Are services up there that good that they need to drop them down to a national average? Can't be money since they have enough assets and cash to cover their debts apparently.

aren't their spending out of control?

like west aussies like to grumble about colin barnett's pork barelling then I saw a graph of Qld's public debt o_O

edit:

http://theconversation.edu.au/standing-in-the-shadow-of-debt-in-the-sunshine-state-5820

Darklord

Banned
Just found someone selling rare N64 games for $20 for the lot. Man, I hope my offer got in to buy them. I actually want to play the things not just resell them for $80 each.

Omikron

We can both be part of Old-Man AusGAF.

Yah.

Also, story from during the week that would amuse you, some 'professional' photographer was taking photos of my son's little gym class he does. She was taking photos with a d90, which not that bad in itself, but also in a dim inside area without an external flash. My wife asks why and mentions she prefers 'natural light'.

lol.

Sorry, but no chance you are making a sale from us. :p

I guess this isn't really the right place to complain about how old I feel huh :p It's like the turning point where I'm not a kid anymore..

Just letting you know I have 3 younger sisters. And you are younger than all of them.

Dead Man

36 today, and been a member since 2007, lurker since 2005. GAF probably did not raise me, but it has made me cynical as hell.

Salazar

Petrified about the state being in (wildly overestimated, and estimated in not-quite-meaningless-but-close terms) debt.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29646818/QuigginAuditComm.pdf

They just wanted to slash the public service anyway. The debt is just a pretext for ideologically-grounded cuts.

Warning: Quiggin is an "academic" and an "expert". Regard with appropriate levels of hick skepticism.

Are they single Omi?

You're not even allowed to be in this queue, Rep.

The state is in debt, but I think the LNP thought cutting the public service would go over well. Wrong. People are pissed. It's also meant Labor voters have come out of the closet way quicker than you'd think they would have after a landslide loss.

What if she had an f/1.2 lens, Omi? I prefer natural light to 90% of what people do with flash.

...course, the best photo is the one you get.

Danoss

ooooh :D really??? Hooray!!!
I guess it depends what you're able to do. I played dark heresy recently, and that was probably the funnest rpg I've experienced so far. I will quite happily play whatever though!

I have Dark Heresy and numerous books to go along with it, but I'll probably look towards something a bit lighter for the first game. I'll write up something and get it posted later on in the week.

Yah.

Also, story from during the week that would amuse you, some 'professional' photographer was taking photos of my son's little gym class he does. She was taking photos with a d90, which not that bad in itself, but also in a dim inside area without an external flash. My wife asks why and mentions she prefers 'natural light'.

lol.

Sorry, but no chance you are making a sale from us. :p

If she had a decent prime, like an 85/1.8, she could have gotten some half-decent shots with just the available light. She'd have to bump up the ISO significantly to have a decent shutter speed, which wouldn't look so pretty on a D90 and 6x4s would be all that would be close to being usable.

While natural light is wonderful, I'd carefully distance myself from her too. Her "prefers natural light" answer can easily be rephrased to "too cheap to buy a flash and gels". Goddamn vultures trying to leech off parents.

Edit: Heh, I just thought of what'd it be like to browse through the action shots if you were to consider buying anything. You could easily ask, "So, which blurry blob is my child?"

What if she had an f/1.2 lens, Omi? I prefer natural light to 90% of what people do with flash.

1.2 lenses are notoriously horrible at autofocusing and are usually relegated to studio/portraiture work, or where you have plenty of time to obtain focus because of this. Fluorescent light being referred to "natural light" is laughable though.

The vehicle valet in Saints Row 3 IS A FUCKING DIPSHIT, THERE IS A GIANT EMPTY CARPARK HERE, LAND THE FUCKING HELICOPTER FOR FUCKS SAKE! WOULD HAVE BEEN QUICKER TO QUIT AND RELOAD SO I START AT MY CRIB AND GRAB A VTOL YOU IDIOT.

The valet in Sleeping Dogs is hilarious and will only deliver a vehicle if he 100% can. Nothing funnier than kicking him off my bike to his delight and joy. Also financial crisis.

Also editing posts on Mobile GAF is glitchy as fuck!

1.2 lenses are notoriously horrible at autofocusing
Haven't heard anything negative about the Canon ones. Regardless, wide open you'd likely want to manually focus anyway given the easy margin of error.

Just realised we're travelling in only a few weeks! Should dust off the 7D and get back in the swing of things!

Danoss

Haven't heard anything negative about the Canon ones. Regardless, wide open you'd likely want to manually focus anyway given the easy margin of error.

Just realised we're travelling in only a few weeks! Should dust off the 7D and get back in the swing of things!

That's the problem with them; getting focus correct because of such a thin DOF. Since lenses focus wide open, they're like this all the time, essentially making them manual focus lenses.

Where are you off to? And what lenses are you packing to take with you?

Also editing posts on Mobile GAF is glitchy as fuck!
Mobile gaf in general is pretty glitchy. Worst feeling when the post button stops working, or when your post just doesn't appear.
Just letting you know I have 3 younger sisters. And you are younger than all of them.
:s Now I just feel uncomfortable.

36 today, and been a member since 2007, lurker since 2005. GAF probably did not raise me, but it has made me cynical as hell.

It probably has that affect on everyone really.

Where are you off to? And what lenses are you packing to take with you?
We're off to Japan for three weeks. I like travelling light so will only be taking my trusty 24-105 f/4.0 L. Would prefer a 14-70 f/2.8 or similar since I find it's not wide enough with a 1.6x crop sensor... but can't really afford another new lens.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
what's a good site for plane tickets? all the ones i know (adioso, webjet, expedia) require me to pick dates and then they show me the cheapest

i just want to say oct 20th to nov 6th show me what evers cheap

Danoss

We're off to Japan for three weeks. I like travelling light so will only be taking my trusty 24-105 f/4.0 L. Would prefer a 14-70 f/2.8 or similar since I find it's not wide enough with a 1.6x crop sensor... but can't really afford another new lens.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a great lens for the price. If you want better, you're looking at the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS for $600 more, which is hardly worth it for such a small difference. The link takes you to DWI, where it's a steal at $314. That's really cheap, you know you want to...

The only reason I'm still holding on to my 24-105/4L is for when I eventually upgrade to full frame. 24mm on a crop just isn't wide enough, it's not really wide at all. Right now, my 17-50/2.8 stays on my camera for the majority of the time. The only lenses that tend to make me change are the Sigma 30/1.4 and the Canon 10-22.

Oh, and have you got the latest 2.0 firmware with all these awesome new features for your 7D? If you haven't been keeping up with that, go and grab it here.

Aside from all of that, have fun in Japan. I hope you'll share some cool pics with us.

Shallow depth of field is not something you want when chasing toddlers around a gymnasium. :p

That's what AI Servo/AI Focus is for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom